Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭donacarney

Hi guys,Any one out there need any crop protection done with pigeons in the meath/louth area. Have full insurance and would respect the land, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭donacarney

Hi guys,Any one out there need any crop protection done with pigeons in the meath/louth area. Have full insurance and would respect the land, Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

what the hell is that^^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

hugo29 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies, has anyone come across a constipated calf, few days ago he had milk scour, gave him a shot of bimostat, now he going around as if he is trying to push a bale of silage out of his ass,
    Is he any bit wobbly on his feet? Could be acidosis either in which sodium bicarbonate (bread soda) will sort him. Effydral tablets via stomach tube is a great job. I use them a good bit and find them good, the bovine equivalent of Andrews ;).

Just thinking of it, is milk of magnesia still out there? I hated that stuff as a kid:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I have had it. He would get up and walk a bit then sit down. He didn't look sick but knew he had a pain. Had a temp of 38. I assume you know how to arouse the bowel, for want of a better word. Plenty of parrafin oil and an antibiotic.
    And would you not just get yourself a laxative or prune juice or something. id say parafinn tastes awful.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

limo_100 wrote: »
    Was your hard calved did ya pull him?

Big calf coming backways..............Big pull. I wasn't there for it though.

Any sign of a calf yet?

whelan1 wrote: »
    had michael o leary of ryanair and his family in our group:o

Birds of a feather flock together :D

You could have given him a few tips on the AA! (For a small fee;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bizzum wrote: »
    Big calf coming backways..............Big pull. I wasn't there for it though.
    Do you restrict their diet in the last six weeks?

Plenty of parrafin oil and an antibiotic.
    1chippy wrote: »
    And would you not just get yourself a laxative or prune juice or something. id say parafinn tastes awful.:D

Just incase anyone is wondering what farmers dose their calves with, I should point out that medicinal liquid parafinn is what's used. :cool:

just do it wrote: »
    Do you restrict their diet in the last six weeks?

We would keep them tight enough. She was never the easiest calving cow, this was her first Charolais calf she's had a couple of Lims. She would have been in good condition calving, with the summers grass behind her. She's the black lim cow by Jaguar in the Photo thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

1chippy wrote: »

Nah, just root it out with a biro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

yup. very down to earth

I taught he would have his head in the clouds

Nah, just root it out with a biro.

Isn't that how a mathematician deals with constipation? He works it out with a pencil:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

went to causey farm in county meath today, for the santa experience, anyone thinking of opening an open farm should go there, it was fantastic... kids loved it, had michael o leary of ryanair and his family in our group:o

spent manys a summer working there. Loved it. great family to work for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I taught he would have his head in the clouds

From what I saw of him quite the opposite. He was on a flight to Portugal with us last year Aer Lingus natch:rolleyes:. He queued up with the rest of us with his wife and kids in tow, just got on with it. When we landed in Faro he took off at a good pace towards the terminal and when we got inside he was standing at the carousel right at the point where the bags are discharged on to it. I remember thinking that an experienced traveller like he was bound to know that they'll come when they come and hopping from one foot to the other at the carousel ain't gonna speed it up. I should have known better the first bags off were his though in fairness if you're running the airline and can't get that organised for yourself it's a poor look out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

spent manys a summer working there. Loved it. great family to work for!
    there was actually a real camel there:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Reilig I might throw a spanner in the works here but what happens if you do diy ai? Do I just go into icbf and record ai and fill it in and should I be ok?

Yea, you just fill it in yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

An update on this - the information has to be submitted to ICBF by tuesday lunch time if you want to be paid in this round

reilig wrote: »
    Lads and ladies,

The payment for the Suckler Discussion group is due to be paid out before christmas. All BTAP advisors have received confirmation by email of who in their group has met the 2 required measures and who has not in the last 5 days. It may be worth a call to your BTAP advisor to ensure that you have been approved for payment.

The majority of people who haven't met the 2 measures are those who are doing task 3 (Genetic Merit). Many people opted to use this measure and use a 5 star AI bull on 25% of their herd. The problem is that some of the AI men have not sent back the records of insemination to ICBF as yet and therefore there is no record of you having used this 5 star bull. To get over this, you need to go onto the ICBF website and input the AI codes for each of your cows. If you do this today, it is likely that you may get the payment before christmas!!

If you want a small stocking filler, it might be worth your while to get on top of this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

hugo29 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies, has anyone come across a constipated calf, few days ago he had milk scour, gave him a shot of bimostat, now he going around as if he is trying to push a bale of silage out of his ass,

Good sugary warm water solution will help if he's truly constipated. The
    Sugar draws liquid into the gut from surrounding tissue and loosens up the whole
    Passageway.
    This can happen if a calf isn't well hydrated when treated for scour. The whole system is out of whack so to speak.

As ever I'd be throwing a natural youghert into him. Then plenty of electrolyte.

went to causey farm in county meath today, for the santa experience, anyone thinking of opening an open farm should go there, it was fantastic... kids loved it, had michael o leary of ryanair and his family in our group:o

Great crack, brought our girls there last year.
    Went to Tayto Park to see the man in red this year. Very good also.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Great crack, brought our girls there last year.
    Went to Tayto Park to see the man in red this year. Very good also.
    where you waiting long? sister went and said there where people going mad over the waiting times, kids crying etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭jfh

We went to Aillwee cave to see Santa, very good but at 33 euro per kid, twould want to be. Thankfully sports & social paid

where you waiting long? sister went and said there where people going mad over the waiting times, kids crying etc

No, we were there last Saturday, Q was about 15 minutes to see him about 4:30, nice heated marquee outside the Santas Grotto which was very well done, Santa was well done and friendly too... I'd heard the weekend before last WAS a nightmare though. The lights on every tree throughout the park were fab when we came out afterwards..

jfh wrote: »
    We went to Aillwee cave to see Santa, very good but at 33 euro per kid, twould want to be. Thankfully sports & social paid
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: jeeny mac thats mental, was 20 euro per child yesterday and 12 per adult... one of the kids went to causey farm on their school tour , they got to jump in a bog, she said it was brilliant(was in june:o)

bbam wrote: »
    No, we were there last Saturday, Q was about 15 minutes to see him about 4:30, nice heated marquee outside the Santas Grotto which was very well done, Santa was well done and friendly too... I'd heard the weekend before last WAS a nightmare though. The lights on every tree throughout the park were fab when we came out afterwards..

One of the neighbours has a setup like that. They used to open a few weekends in Dec for santa. The boss used to do santa himself and when the older 2 here were starting to get a bit skeptical it used to be great fun to see their faces when santa greeted them by name as they walked into the grotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

jfh wrote: »

we went there a few years back, worth every penny

probably the best Santa experience i ever came across.
    would bring a tear to you eye hearing the kids singing xmas songs, as they walked down through the caves

going to tayto park to day.

anyone know if you have prepaid tickets with a set time do you have to que

dar31 wrote: »
    we went there a few years back, worth every penny

probably the best Santa experience i ever came across.
    would bring a tear to you eye hearing the kids singing xmas songs, as they walked down through the caves

going to tayto park to day.

anyone know if you have prepaid tickets with a set time do you have to que
    sister went last sunday, said you had to queue but sure what can you do... she said the people complaining ruined it for the kids:mad: but that the santa was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

yup. very down to earth

Always found him a bit up in the air tbh....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What are those truly Irish lads doing walking about, the green fields in the background?

Don't they rear their pigs the same as the majority of commercial pig producers..... in pig houses?!? :confused:

• Advertisement

I think the "a happier turkey is a tastier turkey" is the best line on their adds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Would this little fella qualify for the suckler scheme? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOPJMbEyuL4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Bizzum wrote: »
    Just incase anyone is wondering what farmers dose their calves with, I should point out that medicinal liquid parafinn is what's used. :cool:

Cheers lads gave him spoon of that liquid paraffin, lets say problem solved now I have to tag and dehorn the poor fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

What a day. Out last night at the work crimbo party and ended up out acting the young lad until 5 this morning. Not able for this anymore.

went to panto in the tivoli this evening, fantastic evening, really enjoyed it, alan hughes and brian dowling are in it....enjoyed every minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Just back from ice skating with the girlfriend, great crack watching all the people that arent able to do it falling all over the place :D

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Would this little fella qualify for the suckler scheme? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOPJMbEyuL4

It's a good one. He's only lickin' the tit though, I doubt he'd ever get him to suck her!

Just back from ice skating with the girlfriend, great crack watching all the people that arent able to do it falling all over the place :D

Is that the one in Carlton carpark in Renmore, Galway Redz? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

does anyone know where you can get those ear defenders with a radio inbuilt in for cheap, and are they any good at keeping out noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

tried it once in dublin years ago..never again :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭nhg

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    does anyone know where you can get those ear defenders with a radio inbuilt in for cheap, and are they any good at keeping out noise?

My OH had the ones with the knob for turning volume up & down & tuning, they kept going off station as he worked, he insisted that he wanted digital ones - searched everywhere for them - ended up getting they from amazon in the states, worked out cheap & had them in 3 or 4 days. Never heard any complaints about them since he got the new ones, he wears them on the ride-on lawnmower & sometimes at work when working on noisy machines (in a factory)

Peltor is supposed to be one of the best makes

• Advertisement

anyone elses agrlink service down, can normally view milk statement from 16 of the month

Agree with nhg. peltor are definately the pick of them. i find the ones that come round your neck rather than over your head far more comfortable. mcquillans could be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Muckit wrote: »

Is that the one in Carlton carpark in Renmore, Galway Redz? ;)
    Ya that's the one muckit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

anyone elses agrlink service down, can normally view milk statement from 16 of the month

Mine is there! Handy tip though, I didn't know that!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Mine is there! Handy tip though, I didn't know that!

yup came up later in the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

hi,

was it ever confirmed how many were officially accepted and how much that equates to in our pockets?

reilig wrote: »
    Lads and ladies,

The payment for the Suckler Discussion group is due to be paid out before christmas. All BTAP advisors have received confirmation by email of who in their group has met the 2 required measures and who has not in the last 5 days. It may be worth a call to your BTAP advisor to ensure that you have been approved for payment.

The majority of people who haven't met the 2 measures are those who are doing task 3 (Genetic Merit). Many people opted to use this measure and use a 5 star AI bull on 25% of their herd. The problem is that some of the AI men have not sent back the records of insemination to ICBF as yet and therefore there is no record of you having used this 5 star bull. To get over this, you need to go onto the ICBF website and input the AI codes for each of your cows. If you do this today, it is likely that you may get the payment before christmas!!

If you want a small stocking filler, it might be worth your while to get on top of this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

went to panto in the tivoli this evening, fantastic evening, really enjoyed it, alan hughes and brian dowling are in it....enjoyed every minute...

you cant beat a good panto. gas craic

disaster again yesterday, looked to have enough dairy nuts to do me over the christmas turns out there where nuts stuck to the view holes and there was no nuts in the bin:mad: happened about 18 months ago as well with the same company ... they nuts must be going into the bin warm as it doesnt happen from any other feed company

disaster again yesterday, looked to have enough dairy nuts to do me over the christmas turns out there where nuts stuck to the view holes and there was no nuts in the bin:mad: happened about 18 months ago as well with the same company ... they nuts must be going into the bin warm as it doesnt happen from any other feed company

Probably too late now but couldn't you put a bit extra through the diet feeder?

Probably too late now but couldn't you put a bit extra through the diet feeder?
    yup did that... just a pain in the butt when it happens at the weekend:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement