Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan1 wrote: »
    yup did that... just a pain in the butt when it happens at the weekend:rolleyes:

What % of meal goes through parlour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

What % of meal goes through parlour?

at the minute about 50%:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

cow aborted this evening, about 7 months gone, so of to labs and see what the story is with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

1chippy wrote: »
    cow aborted this evening, about 7 months gone, so of to labs and see what the story is with this one.
    Crikeys 1Chippy. Hopefully this run of bad luck will end soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Any one watching the program on BBC about Claridges. 3k a night for a small room and 5k plus for a larger room!!!!! There just after serving lamb with hay and live ants (different dishes) for 200 a head. Different world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

reilig wrote: »
    An update on this - the information has to be submitted to ICBF by tuesday lunch time if you want to be paid in this round

Thanks reilig for that. Even though my AI man uses the handheld computer icbf hasn't received any of the data. I got a call from gene ireland a few months back wondering if I was going to use the straws. The first one is due to calf in January!

That ICBF website is continually improving. Just imputted this Spring's servings. Funnily enough the columns they have are pretty much the same as my home made excel.

some one told me yesterday that ginger cats are always male(toms) that there are no female ginger cats, find that hard to believe, does anyone know:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

some one told me yesterday that ginger cats are always male(toms) that there are no female ginger cats, find that hard to believe, does anyone know:confused:
    "This is a common misconception. Ginger cats can be either male or female although ginger females are less common"
    From;
    http://www.messybeast.com/quickfacts.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

I just paid €420 euro for a 5 litre bottle of fasinex. Is that what it costs?

• Advertisement

346 Euro plus postage, with Magenta Direct

http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MVE0080&cat=109

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

pakalasa wrote: »
    346 Euro plus postage, with Magenta Direct

http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MVE0080&cat=109

postage would be free on that

it pays to shop around, dont take the first price you get....

That's for fasinex super. One i bought is fasinex 240. The guy i buy from is usually fairly competitive with prices. He told me it's flying off the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

pakalasa wrote: »
    "This is a common misconception. Ginger cats can be either male or female although ginger females are less common"
    From;
    http://www.messybeast.com/quickfacts.htm

a ginger female " stand back"

jomoloney wrote: »
    postage would be free on that

I just checked that web site, I bought my Closamection for 10 euro cheaper in my Local Vet office

How long do you guys normally wait post housing before dosing, Mine are in since 01st November and I intend to dose next week when I have a bit of help around although they were done after 5 weeks last year but thats because they were housed mid November last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

hugo29 wrote: »
    I just checked that web site, I bought my Closamection for 10 euro cheaper in my Local Vet office

How long do you guys normally wait post housing before dosing, Mine are in since 01st November and I intend to dose next week when I have a bit of help around although they were done after 5 weeks last year but thats because they were housed mid November last year

4-5 weeks would be the usual. Let's everything develop to a stage where it can be easily killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

One of me ewes was on her back when I went out earlier - crows had pecked all around her eyes... I thought one eye was gone, but it seems to be still there, but the eyelid is all red and bloody and cut, bast'ard crows :mad: :mad: :mad:

She's up and walking around, but is very blind, I must try to go up after work and bring her in, afraid she might get a chill tonight... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

One of me ewes was on her back when I went out earlier - crows had pecked all around her eyes... I thought one eye was gone, but it seems to be still there, but the eyelid is all red and bloody and cut, bast'ard crows :mad: :mad: :mad:

She's up and walking around, but is very blind, I must try to go up after work and bring her in, afraid she might get a chill tonight... :(
    Dirty c**nts

Cows licking the cubicle lime, cant imagine it's doing them any good. Any thoughts. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Cows licking the cubicle lime, cant imagine it's doing them any good. Any thoughts. ?

Silage may be acidic an they are licking this as it is alkaline doesent actually do them any harm? (think rennies after eating too much)

Are they spitting out cud balls at the front of the cubicals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

just neutralizing their stomachs, will do them no harm, only good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

started the day with 3 working dogs and I now have 7 new recruits. :D. the poor bitch in having to look after that crowd, only yesterday she was still eager to work cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

started the day with 3 working dogs and I now have 7 new recruits. :D. the poor bitch in having to look after that crowd, only yesterday she was still eager to work cattle.

Congratulations! What are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

gozunda wrote: »
    Congratulations! What are they?

Pups :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jimmy G M wrote: »

Pups :D:D

Heinz? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Any one watching the program on BBC about Claridges. 3k a night for a small room and 5k plus for a larger room!!!!! There just after serving lamb with hay and live ants (different dishes) for 200 a head. Different world!

Ya was watching it too. The sister used to work in Grovenor House, just around the corner. Majority of guests are chauffeur driven to those hotels. Sister managed to get us in for staff rate during off peak season... had a few remi martins in the bar @ £12 a pop just to act posh don't you know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Muckit wrote: »
    Ya was watching it too. The sister used to work in Grovenor House, just around the corner. Majority of guests are chauffeur driven to those hotels. Sister managed to get us in for staff rate during off peak season... had a few remi martins in the bar @ £12 a pop just to act posh don't you know :D

Wouldnt say there be much chat about weanlings or the turf in that place:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

mf240 wrote: »
    Wouldnt say there be much chat about weanlings or the turf in that place:D

Ah....... no :D:D:D

we stayed over at a wedding in the shelbourne hotel in dublin during the summer, jeeny mac, talk about feeling out of place:o if you walked in off the street breakfast was 33 euro per person:eek: i told the kids to savour it as we would never be staying there again:D

we stayed over at a wedding in the shelbourne hotel in dublin during the summer

It's a wonder you'll even lower yourself to post on here now:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

we stayed over at a wedding in the shelbourne hotel in dublin during the summer, jeeny mac, talk about feeling out of place:o if you walked in off the street breakfast was 33 euro per person:eek: i told the kids to savour it as we would never be staying there again:D

We stayed over at the Travelodge in Claregalway...:rolleyes:

We stayed over at the Travelodge in Claregalway...:rolleyes:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bodacious wrote: »
    a buddy of mine sold a very average blue by AZL...280-290kg E710 and he only got contacted by the mart to get vet to stamp form that he was going for export.. "export Quality" at E710? Seriously?!

Are people still getting export certs?:confused: Cattle can be exported now with no certs and surely the vet clearing them for export would be doing the stamping. I last heard that Cyprus was the place for those style weans.

It's the tri-colour cats that are usually female, it's apparently quite rare to find a tri-Tom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Scanned today, 4 empty cows out of 50 and 1 heifer empty. Not too bad considering the year that's in it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It's the tri-colour cats that are usually female, it's apparently quite rare to find a tri-Tom.[/QUOTE]

I can conpurr with that observation from our own few moggies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I can conpurr with that observation from our own few moggies..

It's the tri-colour cats that are usually female, it's apparently quite rare to find a tri-Tom.

I can conpurr with that observation from our own few moggies..[/QUOTE]

Ah here there's no call for that sort of thing at all;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

I never get certs,and it comes up on the mart board if the cattle are entitled to one. I though that the vets office was connected to the marts through the dept office

It's a wonder you'll even lower yourself to post on here now:D
    it was my brothers wedding, its a fantastic hotel but was wasted on us:D think it was 6 euro for a bottle of corona:D (bottles i had in my room where only a euro each:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    . I last heard that Cyprus was the place for those style weans.
    Lucky f****rs i'd say the weather is nicer there than it is here, wonder if i could get export cert for myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

blue5000 wrote: »
    Scanned today, 4 empty cows out of 50 and 1 heifer empty. Not too bad considering the year that's in it.
    That's 90%, as you say not bad for the year that's in it. I recall a few lads locally during the summer having issues.

Do you know you can now enter that info on the ICBF website? Not sure how much use it is to you personally but I presume it feeds into the rating of bulls etc

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    You're back. Clean bill of health, I hope.

td5man wrote: »
    Lucky f****rs i'd say the weather is nicer there than it is here, wonder if i could get export cert for myself?

Agreed.
    On a morning like this I'd even take a week in the Gaza Strip for a bit of sunshine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Was up this morning at 5 to take a load to factory got soaked was some drive in that weather.

Agreed.
    On a morning like this I'd even take a week in the Gaza Strip for a bit of sunshine :rolleyes:
    was over at out farm, i parked the jeep in the wrong spot and gutter was blocked on shed, opened door of jeep and got a blast of water from the gutter straight in on top of me... wouldnt mind but we only put the gutters up a month ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Wild morning up here, cold, windy and wet, was out checking/feeding some ewes on the quad.
    Noticed a ewe on her back lying in a ditch, turned her over and tried to her her stand up, balance was gone and she was staggery, kept falling over so decided after 20 mins she best be taken back to the shed to recover. Had to lift her up onto the back off the quad, was so heavy and wet, just about able to do so. Hands were totally numb with cold by this stage, just about managed to drive quad back to the yard. Clothes soaked too. Was soo ready for a drying off and mid morning tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Wild morning up here, cold, windy and wet, was out checking/feeding some ewes on the quad.
    Noticed a ewe on her back lying in a ditch, turned her over and tried to her her stand up, balance was gone and she was staggery, kept falling over so decided after 20 mins she best be taken back to the shed to recover. Had to lift her up onto the back off the quad, was so heavy and wet, just about able to do so. Hands were totally numb with cold by this stage, just about managed to drive quad back to the yard. Clothes soaked too. Was soo ready for a drying off and mid morning tea

Be careful with the ewe, she is liable to go back onto her back - even in the shed. We often had to tie a ewe to a gate to keep her upright for a few hours while her balance recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Gutters blocked with leaves tis morning, got drenched trying to clean them off ladder, meal all wet too from rain of gutter, went over to out farm to check stock and galvanised door into farm, caught a gust of wind and weld broke off and fell on the ground, luckily I wasn't near it when it happened.
    Have to hire a gene welder now to fix it and raining still 😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

last BVD result of the year back. all clear. :)

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah....... no :D:D:D

Tried to get in there once for afternoon tea, we were al dressed up and going to wedding, got stopped at door with some lame excuse, reckon it was accents, that was 1995 so whole paddy thing was still rife, went back in 2000'when we lived there, got in tae was sh!te and 12 euro a pop

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement