Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

The only time I ever got refused a drink was in a Dublin hotel. I was staying there at the time too. I was cold sober. Must have been the huddy I was wearing. :rolleyes: I could have dragged him out over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Are people still getting export certs?:confused: Cattle can be exported now with no certs and surely the vet clearing them for export would be doing the stamping. I last heard that Cyprus was the place for those style weans.

It's the tri-colour cats that are usually female, it's apparently quite rare to find a tri-Tom.

Hi Kovu good to have you back on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

pakalasa wrote: »
    The only time I ever got refused a drink was in a Dublin hotel. I was staying there at the time too. I was cold sober. Must have been the huddy I was wearing. :rolleyes: I could have dragged him out over the bar.

A life on the road is tough, isnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Went for afternoon tea to the Burj al arab 7 star hotel in dubai, while on honeymoon few months ago. Some experience. Bit different from your average mart canteen grub. I'd say the waiters knew it was far from 7 star hotels we were reared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Went for afternoon tea to the Burj al arab 7 star hotel in dubai, while on honeymoon few months ago. Some experience. Bit different from your average mart canteen grub. I'd say the waiters knew it was far from 7 star hotels we were reared.

Ah now you didn't leave the wellies on did you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You're back. Clean bill of health, I hope.

Not quite full bill but almost there. Just have to build a flatpack chicken coop in 4 days now....eep:o
    thetangler wrote: »
    Hi Kovu good to have you back on boards

10 days without a phone/paper/internet/tv has me in a very relaxed state. So relaxed, in fact, that I opened the window for the cat at 5.20am this morning without realising the 'present' he had for me. Cue live mouse hunt in the wardrobe for half an hour. First cow is now due a week and I'm hoping for a nice shapey heifer for showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah now you didn't leave the wellies on did you :D

No, just let a shout at one of them to put on a pot of tae and a hape of hang sandwiches. They're not big into the hang sandwiches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan1 wrote: »
    was over at out farm, i parked the jeep in the wrong spot and gutter was blocked on shed, opened door of jeep and got a blast of water from the gutter straight in on top of me... wouldnt mind but we only put the gutters up a month ago

I was in the local hardware there recently and I seen a poster for a new gadget.. slogan along the lines 'declutter that gutter'... or something?? I think it's a wire briselly thing that is supposed to keep the leaves and crap out, but let water in...

Anyone use it? I suppose you could put a bit of light mesh like that stuff you get in a roll, I think plasterers use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    I was in the local hardware there recently and I seen a poster for a new gadget.. slogan along the lines 'declutter that gutter'... or something?? I think it's a wire briselly thing that is supposed to keep the leaves and crap out, but let water in...

Anyone use it? I suppose you could put a bit of light mesh like that stuff you get in a roll, I think plasterers use it

yes if its the thing im thinking of, its around a while, got a length of it a there a yr or two back for a little shed thats is kinda joined onto a bigger shed, gutter between the 2 sheds always clogging with leaves..it helps i think in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

:confused:
    I know this is probably a naive question.. but does anyone actually know whats going to happen in 2014 as regards the single payment?

Will 2014 definitely be the reference year for future payments..?

There seems to be an awful run on rented land round these parts in anticipation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

No, just let a shout at one of them to put on a pot of tae and a hape of hang sandwiches. They're not big into the hang sandwiches.

Did they ask would they hate the tart for ya?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

:confused:
    I know this is probably a naive question.. but does anyone actually know whats going to happen in 2014 as regards the single payment?

Will 2014 definitely be the reference year for future payments..?

There seems to be an awful run on rented land round these parts in anticipation.

don't get me started on this bloody madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha Tippman you're all worn out from ranting over on forum4farmers! But the answer is no, we don't have a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ha Tippman you're all worn out from ranting over on forum4farmers! But the answer is no, we don't have a clue!

Not ranting at all - speaking a lot of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Just back in from the yard there. The auld lad has a phobia about shooting pigeons, says its bad luck. Foggy night so the sheds were full of them. We lamped them and caught them. I am going to the north the day after Stephens day and I'll bring them and let the hoors out. For the moment their home is a 12 x 6 Ifor Williams box with netting covering the gaps and vents.

I have had poor stock in it before but this fairly takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Just back in from the yard there. The auld lad has a phobia about shooting pigeons, says its bad luck. Foggy night so the sheds were full of them. We lamped them and caught them. I am going to the north the day after Stephens day and I'll bring them and let the hoors out. For the moment their home is a 12 x 6 Ifor Williams box with netting covering the gaps and vents.

I have had poor stock in it before but this fairly takes the biscuit.
    Hope theyre not homing pigeons :P

td5man wrote: »
    Hope theyre not homing pigeons :P

they better not be if they know what's good for them, I ringed a couple of their legs with a small cable tie so I'd know. Next Time as d'unbelievables would say, one shot, bang bang.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i only have 1 row of dutch comfort cubicles.... had a cow stuck in the front of 2 of them today, bloody hate them had her butt stuck in one and her front stuck in another:mad: got a strap around her back legs to knock her and pull her out... anyways shes ok now... on wishlist for 2013 is to get rid of these cubicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

i only have 1 row of dutch comfort cubicles.... had a cow stuck in the front of 2 of them today, bloody hate them had her butt stuck in one and her front stuck in another:mad: got a strap around her back legs to knock her and pull her out... anyways shes ok now... on wishlist for 2013 is to get rid of these cubicles

Put's me in mind of that Lely rep who said such a thing couldn't happen with the robot. It's a dairy farm it's only a matter of when it happens........

...... no matter what it is:eek:.

HTF did she manage to do that from what you're saying she was hanging over the cubicles, I've had the odd one get stuck between the U and the back leg underneath but never on top.

Put's me in mind of that Lely rep who said such a thing couldn't happen with the robot. It's a dairy farm it's only a matter of when it happens........

...... no matter what it is:eek:.

HTF did she manage to do that from what you're saying she was hanging over the cubicles, I've had the odd one get stuck between the U and the back leg underneath but never on top.
    no thats where she got stuck between the u and the back leg but was stuck in 2 of them iykwim, choice was to cut the cubicles or pull her out, plenty of fooks out of me:rolleyes:

no thats where she got stuck between the u and the back leg but was stuck in 2 of them iykwim, choice was to cut the cubicles or pull her out, plenty of fooks out of me:rolleyes:

tonne and a half digger is a godsend in those situations, still plenty of fooks just not as much sweat.

blue5000 wrote: »

Probably should do like love hate with them on the way up north.

Timmaay wrote: »

Yup.. thats what I was thinking.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

went on my staff night out lastnight,no one turned up for work this morn ,had to do it all on my own again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

leg wax wrote: »
    went on my staff night out lastnight,no one turned up for work this morn ,had to do it all on my own again.

All on your own ...... and very fragile no doubt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Sack them all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

i bloddy cant wait for mine friday night, you would swear the world is going to end if people dont get stuff for friday

i mean what difference does a week make over christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

i only have 1 row of dutch comfort cubicles
    God, I always thought they were supposed to be the bees knees. I have the 3 legged Newton Rigg type cubicles. Never had a cow stuck like that. Often had one or two go too far forward against the wall and get stuck alright but they managed to get up themselves. Which type work best for you?

i have newton rigg, cantilever and the mushroom type- which i think are the best- got from www.condonengineering.ie a few years ago.... things got worse after breakfast, there was a cow down at the feeding passage in the dry cow shed, lifted her out with hoist, one of her hips doesnt look great:mad: i only dried her off yesterday

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »
    i bloddy cant wait for mine friday night, you would swear the world is going to end if people dont get stuff for friday

i mean what difference does a week make over christmas

They're just being awkward. There's no-one more awkward than an Irish manager who knows he's being awkward esp if he thinks he has a right to be:(. Tell them you can organise delivery for 5.30am Stephens Day and see how enthusiastic they are then. I used to give my mobile to good customers who told me the might need X between Christmas and New Years as the job they were on had them under pressure needless to say I never got any phonecalls.

I am here in the blackrock clinic and am I as mad as f###. Paying €2300 a year for health insurance and juniorcamogie is up for a procedure today. We arrived to be told that the procedure is not fully covered and that'll be €624 please.
    At least the f#####s smiled while they robbed me.
    Really coming to the conclusion that there is no point trying to drive on and try do well for yourself in this country as you get robbed at every turn.
    Feel a small bit better after that rant.

I am here in the blackrock clinic and am I as mad as f###. Paying €2300 a year for health insurance and juniorcamogie is up for a procedure today. We arrived to be told that the procedure is not fully covered and that'll be €624 please.
    At least the f#####s smiled while they robbed me.
    Really coming to the conclusion that there is no point trying to drive on and try do well for yourself in this country as you get robbed at every turn.
    Feel a small bit better after that rant.

These private hospitals need business as much as anyone else. I think if they were told the insurance was all people were willing to pay they'd drop these top-ups fairly lively. The one in Waterford is famous for it. Quite a few people are going back to the regional privately because of it.

These private hospitals need business as much as anyone else. I think if they were told the insurance was all people were willing to pay they'd drop these top-ups fairly lively. The one in Waterford is famous for it. Quite a few people are going back to the regional privately because of it.

We were referred here by our g.p. Would have went somewhere else had we known/been informed of this.

Problem is a g.p gets a fee off consultants for every referral so they develop relationships with certain consultants afaik.

Mr in between gets squeezed again for every few pound that can be got from them. Anyway that's the last I'll say about it but just won't get caught like it again as seemingly we are fully covered elsewhere.

how do you stop cats leaving dead rats at the back door of the house? i have nearly had a heart attack twice this week with surprises left at the door

We were referred here by our g.p. Would have went somewhere else had we known/been informed of this.

That's how they do it although the usual trick is to ring the day before just to make sure you have it with you. At €2300 your probably covered everywhere else. BTW make sure to have a look at this at renewal time. They don't have to tell you about these plans but they have to give you what you ask for.

http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

Our plan this year is actually with VHI and is just a series of numbers you'll never hear quoted in an ad.

God, I always thought they were supposed to be the bees knees. I have the 3 legged Newton Rigg type cubicles. Never had a cow stuck like that. Often had one or two go too far forward against the wall and get stuck alright but they managed to get up themselves. Which type work best for you?
    Condons cantilever work well here,had a cow last year stuck in the head to head ones but i think another cow pushed her through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

That's how they do it although the usual trick is to ring the day before just to make sure you have it with you. At €2300 your probably covered everywhere else. BTW make sure to have a look at this at renewal time. They don't have to tell you about these plans but they have to give you what you ask for.

http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

Our plan this year is actually with VHI and is just a series of numbers you'll never hear quoted in an ad.

speaking of VHI has anyone tried anywhere else for quote, our policy has just gone up 400 yo yos and the mrs wont hear tell of leaving VHI

One Plus Plan i think,

Private health cover is becoming worse value for money by the year. We had a child who broke teeth in an accident last summer.
    Her dentist wouldn't touch it and referred her to a paedriatric dentist in Galway.

Initial consultation €150
    Procedure to repair / replace two teeth €1550
    Anaethetist €495
    Bed in Galway Clinic for one day (not overnight) €800

Health Plan covered bed and 40 % of the rest. Wouldn't cover everything because it was "Dental". And like OP I never knew this until we were there and ready..

Had difficulty gathering the money to pay for this and within 2 weeks got very stern correspondence / phone calls demanding payment.
    So much for healthcover in Ireland.:mad:

hugo29 wrote: »
    speaking of VHI has anyone tried anywhere else for quote, our policy has just gone up 400 yo yos and the mrs wont hear tell of leaving VHI

One Plus Plan i think,

Follow the hia link there's north of 40 VHI plans on the semi-private in private hospital search most of them you won't find advertised anywhere. There's a compare and contrast the whole bit. My missus was of a similar opinion to yours and we're back to VHI after being through all of the rest of them based on price only. She's completely mercanary on it now, she pulled on two of the companies during the cooling off period earlier this year. Had no bother with any of the rest of them with claims or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I took a cow in from winterage today, dosed her again and gave her 2 bullets and 60ml of super booster(chelated minerals/vitamin).. thay have a great run and she just wasnt herself, hard on the body condition and generally not thriving whilst the others are doing really well, no silage or anything got yet., she never needed anything extra any other year so kinda puzzled.

She will get TLC now for a while, just as we had her in i checked her dates and she not due until late (april 4th) to LGL and she is a full of the crush, she had a set of twins in 2008 and both the neighbour and i think she very heavy considering she so late.... sorry that i didnt scan her now when i done others, she was in an awkward place with no crush at the time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

i'd say your getting sick of hearing it," lost another one today".
    i calved a blue calf down today at around 2. cow was a bit off so i rang the vet around 3.30. by 4.00 he got there she was dead and the calving pen looked more like a slaughter house. burst vessel inside

1chippy wrote: »
    i'd say your getting sick of hearing it," lost another one today".
    i calved a blue calf down today at around 2. cow was a bit off so i rang the vet around 3.30. by 4.00 he got there she was dead and the calving pen looked more like a slaughter house. burst vessel inside

jaysis choppy, sorry to hear it. May 2013 treat you better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Chippy hope you turn the corner soon.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Private health cover is becoming worse value for money by the year. We had a child who broke teeth in an accident last summer.
    Her dentist wouldn't touch it and referred her to a paedriatric dentist in Galway.

Initial consultation €150
    Procedure to repair / replace two teeth €1550
    Anaethetist €495
    Bed in Galway Clinic for one day (not overnight) €800

Health Plan covered bed and 40 % of the rest. Wouldn't cover everything because it was "Dental". And like OP I never knew this until we were there and ready..

Had difficulty gathering the money to pay for this and within 2 weeks got very stern correspondence / phone calls demanding payment.
    So much for healthcover in Ireland.:mad:

Specialist Dentistry in this country is a joke, and very pricey!!

I had to get a 3-way bridge done in 2005. After reading article in Indo, I packed my bags and headed to budapest for a week. Flew over on a Sunday. Was seen on a Monday morning for an hour to take impressions and fit temporary crown, then an hour on friday morning to fit bridge. All done for WAY less than cost in Ireland. Just had to book flights, they collected you and brought you back to airport and supplied hotel.

Work is flawless. They even had the Irish MED form there to reclaim the tax!!

You aint wrong there.

Throw it in with a bit of sightseeing at the right time of year and it would be a cheap break.
    A lot of Dentists are like a lot of Lawyers, (not all in fairness), they love the smell of money.
    Even up North the rates are better for specialist / paedriatric dentistry.

Anyway, I suppose it could be worse. The job was done and alls well since. One decent springer covered it!

Chippy I'm sorry for all your misfortune. You must be getting sick of it but hang in there.
    As the Old Man says "As long as it stays outside the house".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

how do you stop cats leaving dead rats at the back door of the house? i have nearly had a heart attack twice this week with surprises left at the door

Get rid of the CAT! No problem with rats at the back door then.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Christmas explained (open with caution:D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWw2PRVHkMs

Bethlehem .. Love Hate style.:rolleyes:

On a totally seperate and unrelated matter.. does anyone know what grant aproved corrugated sheeting should cost per sq.metre ?

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    Get rid of the CAT! No problem with rats at the back door then.......
    They'll be in the house instead :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement