Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

1chippy wrote: »
    i'd say your getting sick of hearing it," lost another one today".
    i calved a blue calf down today at around 2. cow was a bit off so i rang the vet around 3.30. by 4.00 he got there she was dead and the calving pen looked more like a slaughter house. burst vessel inside

Bought 3 springing heifers on the point of calving two years ago .
    Same thing happened .

The first one calved fine .

The second one was ages at it , so we got her in the the crush to help her along but was a handy enough calving.
    Let her back out to clean the calf but she looked very dull and lifeless.
    Then we seen the river of blood streaming down her legs .
    Rang the vet and told him the scenario and we were told he can do nothing .
    She is hemreging and will be dead in a matter of minutes .
    True enough , she got weak and lay down beside the calf and we watched her bleed out .

Its a hard pill to swallow sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

my god but i am going to murder a pint of heineken tonight:D

stayed up half the night last night putting together a john deere tractor and trailer for the wee man

finished it at 2am, tried the trailer, wheels would not clear the trailer body, realised i had the fcuking front tractor wheels on the trailer and vica versa, have any of ye ever tried to take off one of them there silver caps that holds the wheel in place, i ended up getting the mini bolt cutters out at half three

got it finished, went to bed and preceeded to tell the wife thinking she might feel as sorry for me as i felt for myself, response "why didnt you look at the picture on the box" why is it women have this natural ability to point out the obvious,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hugo29 wrote: »

stayed up half the night last night putting together a john deere tractor and trailer for the wee man

finished it at 2am, tried the trailer, wheels would not clear the trailer body, realised i had the fcuking front tractor wheels on the trailer and vica versa, have any of ye ever tried to take off one of them there silver caps that holds the wheel in place, i ended up getting the mini bolt cutters out at half three

got it finished, went to bed and preceeded to tell the wife thinking she might feel as sorry for me as i felt for myself, response "why didnt you look at the picture on the box" why is it women have this natural ability to point out the obvious,
    husband rang me there in a panic that there was only 3 wheels for a car thing i got for the youngest lad-plasma car- that i should ring whoever i bought it off, i was giving out yards, rang me back the other wheel was in the box the whole time:D:D just aswell i hadnt rang the supplier.... just to prove we all do stupid things- and its not only a male thing:), i sold my "surprise" calf yesterday, a friend bought it, she owed me for the last calves she got off me also, she gave me an envelope with a cheque in it, cheque was 50 euro short:eek: so i was deciding if i should ring her or what as 50 euro is a fair bit to me. Texted her this morning and she rang to say there was a fifty euro note in the envelope aswell, had to go through the wheelie bin and the 50 euro note is now drying on the cooker... imagine some fooker in the dump finding that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The brother-in-law used to work in IT support back in the the day and they had an acronym for it

RTFM

Hint M is for manual:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks hugh29 for giving me a great laugh !! :D:D So true.... at least you got there in the end. There'I be one happy young lad Christmas morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

hope you all have your presents bought!!!

A Young man called Tony wanted to buy a Christmas present for his new girlfriend. They hadn't been seeing each other for very long and she lived a considerable distance away.

He consulted with his sister and decided after careful consideration, that a pair of good quality gloves would strike the right note, not too romantic and not too personal.

Off he went with his sister to BT's ladies dept and they selected a dainty pair of fur lined quality leather gloves. His sister bought a pair of knickers for herself at the same time.

BT had a free gift wrap offer but the assistant mixed up the two items, so the sister got the gloves and Tony got the knickers.

Good old Tony sent off his gift wrapped present in a parcel with the following letter:

Dear Kate,

I chose these because I've noticed that you are not wearing any when we go out in the evenings. If it had not been for my sister I would have chosen the long ones with buttons, but she wears shorter ones (which are easier to remove).

These are a very delicate shade, but the lady I bought them from showed me the pair she had been wearing for the past three weeks and they were hardly soiled at all.

I had her try yours on for me and she looked really smart in them even though they were a little bit tight on her. She also said that they rub against her ring which helps keep it clean. In fact she hasn't needed to wash it since she began wearing them.

I wish I was there to put them on for you the first time, as no doubt many other hands will touch them before I have a chance to see you again.

When you take them off remember to blow into them a little bit because they will be naturally a little damp from wearing.

Just imagine how many times my lips will kiss them during the coming year.

I hope you will wear them for me on our next date.

All my love

Tony.

P.S. My mum tells me that the latest style is to wear them folded down with a little bit of fur showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

hope you all have your presents bought!!!

A Young man called Tony wanted to buy a Christmas present for his new girlfriend. They hadn't been seeing each other for very long and she lived a considerable distance away.

He consulted with his sister and decided after careful consideration, that a pair of good quality gloves would strike the right note, not too romantic and not too personal.

Off he went with his sister to BT's ladies dept and they selected a dainty pair of fur lined quality leather gloves. His sister bought a pair of knickers for herself at the same time.

BT had a free gift wrap offer but the assistant mixed up the two items, so the sister got the gloves and Tony got the knickers.

Good old Tony sent off his gift wrapped present in a parcel with the following letter:

Dear Kate,

I chose these because I've noticed that you are not wearing any when we go out in the evenings. If it had not been for my sister I would have chosen the long ones with buttons, but she wears shorter ones (which are easier to remove).

These are a very delicate shade, but the lady I bought them from showed me the pair she had been wearing for the past three weeks and they were hardly soiled at all.

I had her try yours on for me and she looked really smart in them even though they were a little bit tight on her. She also said that they rub against her ring which helps keep it clean. In fact she hasn't needed to wash it since she began wearing them.

I wish I was there to put them on for you the first time, as no doubt many other hands will touch them before I have a chance to see you again.

When you take them off remember to blow into them a little bit because they will be naturally a little damp from wearing.

Just imagine how many times my lips will kiss them during the coming year.

I hope you will wear them for me on our next date.

All my love

Tony.

P.S. My mum tells me that the latest style is to wear them folded down with a little bit of fur showing.

brillant, i have not laughed at a joke in a while

utterly shocked at the sudden death of shane mc entee r.i.p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

whelan1 wrote: »

met him @ one of the ag. shows this year, a real down to earth gentleman

condolences to his family & friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

.. Texted her this morning and she rang to say there was a fifty euro note in the envelope aswell, had to go through the wheelie bin and the 50 euro note is now drying on the cooker... imagine some fooker in the dump finding that!
    Reminds me of a story I heard a while back - A guy called around to this farmers house to pay for some cattle he bought off him. Nobody there, so he rings him up. Yer man says to leave the money in the wellies at the back door. The son arrives home and throws the wellies into the car boot and heads off to do the counting. Sticks his leg into the boot and throws what he thinks is a lump of newspaper into the ditch.
    Arrives back at the house to find his father frantically searching all the boots at the back door. :D Took them a while to find it in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Very sudden.
    I worked with Shane a good bit on and off In the past. Young man with a young family, awful time of year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

1chippy wrote: »
    i'd say your getting sick of hearing it," lost another one today".
    i calved a blue calf down today at around 2. cow was a bit off so i rang the vet around 3.30. by 4.00 he got there she was dead and the calving pen looked more like a slaughter house. burst vessel inside

God you are having a bad run of it Chippy

If there is 1 person on here that i hope 2013 brings better luck to then it is you - I'm sure it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

terrible flood last night..no white christmas this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

id rather it rain than a white christmas, that drawing water to cattle craic isnt my favourite pastime:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Try drawing milk afew miles to meet the milkman at the main road, who typically didn't showup till 3hrs after he said he'd be there :mad:

do ye give the milkman a tip and if ye do how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We used to when we were milking , I dont know how much they used to put in the card but there used to be the box of sweets and bottle of whiskey/poteen given to him too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

had the flu past week and it was a killer.came in one evening from feeding the cows and herself had a couple of friends in the kitchen who had much fun mocking me over my "manflu".as i past through on my way to the bed the only words they got from me was"childbirth dosent last half long enough":P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

a couple of question s .does an animal have to be tested in your herd before he can be sold on even he is within 18 months of his last test-full herd test was in april,he was bought in may and his last test was in sept 11.secondly thinking of buying some machine if i bought in early jan would the dealer be able to accept a back dated check for this year for part of it to spread the payment into zero 12 tax year

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    a couple of question s .does an animal have to be tested in your herd before he can be sold on even he is within 18 months of his last test-full herd test was in april,he was bought in may and his last test was in sept 11.secondly thinking of buying some machine if i bought in early jan would the dealer be able to accept a back dated check for this year for part of it to spread the payment into zero 12 tax year

IMHO, once you don't sell an animal within a week it needs to be tested in your herd before selling.. Even within the week I think there is a limit on the number you can sell on each year without being registered as a dealer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

I gave my milkman a €100 gift voucher for a restaurant.

2012 just won't f'n give in will it?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

€50 He often calls when passing as tank not always big enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Ghandee wrote: »
    I used to be a post man a few years ago, it was coming up to christmas week and I went to a house to deliver some letters, suddenly the door opened and this extremely sexy woman dressed in her negligee opened the front door to me and summonsed me inside.

I followed her upstairs to a bedroom were she went on to give me the best ride I'd ever had in my life.

After that, we both got dressed, then she bought me down to the kitchen were she had a MONSTER of a breakfast laid on for me, sausages, rashers, pudding, eggs, delicious to say the least.

Anyway, I finished up the brekkie, was getting ready to leave the house when she handed me €2,

At this point I asked her what was all this in aid off? Hot sex, lovely breakfast, and some money?

She said, 'I asked me husband what should i give the post man this year for Christmas, and he said "fcuk em! Give him a couple of euro"! The breakfast was my idea love ;)

Id say give him a bottle of whiskey whelan but seen this in AH and thought it was funny:D

delaval wrote: »
    €50 He often calls when passing as tank not always big enough
    i like your thinking, thats what i gave last year

had the flu past week and it was a killer.came in one evening from feeding the cows and herself had a couple of friends in the kitchen who had much fun mocking me over my "manflu".as i past through on my way to the bed the only words they got from me was"childbirth dosent last half long enough":P

Down with a right dose myself. Dizzyness and dicky tum. OH had it for the last few days, now I've got it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Wondering what was the best present ever from Santa. Mine was a black high nellie when I was 10:)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Wondering what was the best present ever from Santa. Mine was a black high nellie when I was 10:)

100cc Quad when I was in 4th class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

A red whitehead heifer sucky calf. Turned her into a pet, wouldn't even let the Boss Man dehorn her! Had her for 12 years and still have a couple of her relations.
    When she missed the bull I knew it was all over. But by then I was a hard hearted 21 year old and sent her to the mart. I can still see her looking back at me as she was beat onto the trailer!!:(

very windy here last night, hope theres not too much damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Nice story by Leo Cullen about the turkey season in the Indo: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-fruits-of-the-season-by-leo-cullen-3334498.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

The gun itself is a prima tech 70ml one which your man told be is 65e by itself, he wanted 79e for the gun and the hook but I got it for 75. The hook itself is a fairly solid piece of equipment and the gun comes with a normal dosing nozzle and a nozzle for putting on pouron. I cant tell ye how good the gun is until I get to use it but your man made out they are one of the best of them.

Well redz, it's it worth getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

bbam wrote: »

IMHO, once you don't sell an animal within a week it needs to be tested in your herd before selling.. Even within the week I think there is a limit on the number you can sell on each year without being registered as a dealer...

The dealer thing is within 30 days, any joe soap can sell 100 cattle within 30 days in a 12 month period without requiring a licence

Awful here too...
    No damage just a mess.. We had a pallet of 20ft box sheeting put bye for a wee job and they are strewn through the machinery shed.. Just a pain really..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

just do it wrote: »
    i got one free when i was in a good while back buying dosing and boluses. i think the vet is having pity on me, he didnt charge me for a few of the callouts. i found lately if paying for a lump of stuff at the one time the vets will work with you on price our lad was telling me no more than the rest of us he is finding it seriously difficult to collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »

Didn't use it yet jd, will test it out before the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Just downloaded info from my small weather station...
    Since Mid Oct 2011 (when I reset it) the longest rain free spell was 4 days, with 21 days being the most constitutive days with rain..

Not much wonder the place is like a swamp !!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

bbam wrote: »
    Just downloaded info from my small weather station...
    Since Mid Oct 2011 (when I reset it) the longest rain free spell was 4 days, with 21 days being the most constitutive days with rain..

Not much wonder the place is like a swamp !!

i'd say the temp reading is relatively mild for this time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What sorta weatherstation is it, and do they cost much, easy to install etc? It's certainly something that would be useful to have, to be able to compare grassgrowths each year etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Timmaay wrote: »
    What sorta weatherstation is it, and do they cost much, easy to install etc? It's certainly something that would be useful to have, to be able to compare grassgrowths each year etc.
    Aldi had one in the last few weeks dont know if theyre any good.

Timmaay wrote: »

Same as this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1080-Wireless-Logging/dp/B003E7H5HW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Santa brought it two years ago. Very interesting.

Brussel sprouts are like that. Keep a distance from hubby and kids to keep effects to a minimum

spent over an hour yesterday at local out of hours doctor with youngest child, bedlam is the word, no seats, was talking to a friend who was in later and she had to wait 2.5 hours with a sick child... even with an appointment time... ear and throat infection, tis the season, other 2 are on calpol:mad:

spent over an hour yesterday at local out of hours doctor with youngest child, bedlam is the word, no seats, was talking to a friend who was in later and she had to wait 2.5 hours with a sick child... even with an appointment time... ear and throat infection, tis the season, other 2 are on calpol:mad:

You can beat GP for an un-organised f*ck up. its a joke. Sis in law is a med in foreign land, and cannot understand what the hell our GP's are up to. Those out of hours are worst again, where else would you find such un caring professionals, its - here's the strongest antibiotic just incase your sick and visit your own doctor asap. I would have to be missing a major part of me nowadays to consider going to our local GP

Hope your little munchkins are on the mend Whelan1, another bad wet night here, its really not giving up the fight on the weather front, we will pay for this wet weather hopefully in 2013

is anyone else just finding it serious tough finishing out 2012, just dragging myself from the scratcher this last month have being torture. crappy weather is really keeping the motivation levels low

Those out of hours are worst again, where else would you find such un caring professionals, its - here's the strongest antibiotic just incase your sick and visit your own doctor when asap.

I couldn't disagree with you more Bob. The Caredoc in Waterford is brilliant. I've had plenty of occasion to use them over the past few years and was always very impressed with how well run they were. I needed them on Stephens morning at 4.30 a few years ago. They decided the case needed a home visit which I wasn't going to argue with as the patient was extremely sick very suddenly. The caredoc car was at my house by 4.55, if you know the road you'd do the trip in between 15 and 20 mins at that hour of the morning. My patient was starting to recover by morning so instead of spending Stephens day in A&E with a very sick individual and the next few days visiting the hospital we were at home with a fairly sick but on the mend patient. It saved us and the health system a fortune and a pile of hassle. On the antibiotics I'd say the caredoc guys would normally be on the lower end because they mightened have full histories to hand though they do seem to have access to the GP records on some sort on intranet. With them it's more if that doesn't work then you need to go and see your doctor after the weekend or in a couple of days.

I couldn't disagree with you more Bob. The Caredoc in Waterford is brilliant. I've had plenty of occasion to use them over the past few years and was always very impressed with how well run they were. I needed them on Stephens morning at 4.30 a few years ago. They decided the case needed a home visit which I wasn't going to argue with as the patient was extremely sick very suddenly. The caredoc car was at my house by 4.55, if you know the road you'd do the trip in between 15 and 20 mins at that hour of the morning. My patient was starting to recover by morning so instead of spending Stephens day in A&E with a very sick individual and the next few days visiting the hospital we were at home with a fairly sick but on the mend patient. It saved us and the health system a fortune and a pile of hassle. On the antibiotics I'd say the caredoc guys would normally be on the lower end because they mightened have full histories to hand though they do seem to have access to the GP records on some sort on intranet. With them it's more if that doesn't work then you need to go and see your doctor after the weekend or in a couple of days.

hopefully just a localized thing so, the service our GP provides is a joke. min wait would be a couple of hours, this probably translates upwards to the regional doc. only ever being to the regional doc is minor problems and I found they way over prescribed for each condition

out of hours doc is normally ok, normally only 10 minute wait if even that... now the doctor you get can be hit and miss.... luckilly one of the last times i went it was my own gp that was on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

hopefully just a localized thing so, the service our GP provides is a joke. min wait would be a couple of hours, this probably translates upwards to the regional doc. only ever being to the regional doc is minor problems and I found they way over prescribed for each condition
    A good few of our neighbours use out of hours docs for flu, throat infections,etc, they aren't bothered by over prescribing, in and out in a few mins, great service compared to long waits at gps

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement