Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

hey, take it while it's going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

lashing rain here now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    lashing rain here now
    Advance alert for heavy rainfalls in many parts of Ireland from Tuesday to Thursday and possibly lasting into Friday in the northeast. Total amounts of rain could exceed 50 mms in places.FURTHER OUTLOOK ... The models show an interesting trend of breezy and perhaps stormy weather mid-week but extensive high pressure developing after the 15th with the potential for warm, dry spells then.

M.T. Cranium

reilig wrote: »
    M.T. Cranium
    yes i just read that too ,not looking good for the gaa summer camp this week!

yes i just read that too ,not looking good for the gaa summer camp this week!

The South and East are going to get the worst of it. We really could do without it. Ground is just drying up and becoming suitable for travelling on for silage. Hopefully we'll see very little of it!!

• Advertisement

is it raining with you ? some very heavy showers here this morning

is it raining with you ? some very heavy showers here this morning

We had 1 small shower at about 3am and it hasn't rained since. It was starting to brighten up when I was leaving at 7am.

very interesting interview with noel o toole in the teagasc todays farm magazine... alot of good points in it, well worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

very interesting interview with noel o toole in the teagasc todays farm magazine... alot of good points in it, well worth a look

Give us the jist of it

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Give us the jist of it
    you not a teagasc client? talks about his grassland management, his use of jerseys , , money mangement, tax , aims for the future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

It will be in the post later I guess, is he the farmer from Galway that won farmer of the year? BTW no told me how to enter that competition:pac:

It will be in the post later I guess, is he the farmer from Galway that won farmer of the year? BTW no told me how to enter that competition:pac:
    yup thats him , pity he's so far away would have been interested in going to open day there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone going to the open day in johnstown castle about dairy bull beef? Doesn't seem to be a lot of money in it, I think just 50e a head at 3.20e/kg of beef.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

just had vet out to 2 pb angus calves , one was born on thursday and had a bit of a blow on him and the other was born on monday and i didnt like the look of his navel... anyway new vet , sign of things to come was the zebra print wellies she was wearing:rolleyes: asked me what was wrong with the calves- ahem but who is the vet - she started filling syringes straight away , without examining the calf:( i was holding the calf , she couldnt get the vein, i did offer, but she said the calf wasnt standing right , so i tossed him , asked what she was injecting with , said it was to bring down temperature - which she hadnt taken. Then on to the second calf , this fella was very lively, his mother was going mental, had her locked outside the crush, i had him caught , again she started filling syringes before examing him... i asked her after she injected him would she look at the navel. "oh yeah, was just about to" she asked me what did i think... also in the middle of it all she asked me did we have a bathroom , this was on an outfarm.... she did not instill any confidence in me about her abilities... rant over

just had vet out to 2 pb angus calves , one was born on thursday and had a bit of a blow on him and the other was born on monday and i didnt like the look of his navel... anyway new vet , sign of things to come was the zebra print wellies she was wearing:rolleyes: asked me what was wrong with the calves- ahem but who is the vet - she started filling syringes straight away , without examining the calf:( i was holding the calf , she couldnt get the vein, i did offer, but she said the calf wasnt standing right , so i tossed him , asked what she was injecting with , said it was to bring down temperature - which she hadnt taken. Then on to the second calf , this fella was very lively, his mother was going mental, had her locked outside the crush, i had him caught , again she started filling syringes before examing him... i asked her after she injected him would she look at the navel. "oh yeah, was just about to" she asked me what did i think... also in the middle of it all she asked me did we have a bathroom , this was on an outfarm.... she did not instill any confidence in me about her abilities... rant over

Is there a website www.ratemyvet.com ?;) yes I see there is

am actually more annoyed now that i think about it, any vet that ever came here always took a temperature to have an idea what they are dealing with... i should have said it there and then but there was an atitude of great vet about her ... think i will be ringing the senior partner to give out later... also does anyone is buscapan for navel, i always thought it was to relax the stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Went to pull ragwort in the hay medow before it was cut but the mower rolled in the gate ahead of me. mad rush arount the field to to pull the plants before the mower knocked them.
    think I got most of them. maybe a 80 or 90 plants. not a lot but enough to make it worth my while doing

had to get vet out again last night to the calf with pneumonia , i was calm for the first few minutes on the phone and then i said i would appreciate if she would actually examine the calf , she said pneumonia is pneumonia ! anyways she did come out and examined both calves and took temps and treated accordingly

Went to pull ragwort in the hay medow before it was cut but the mower rolled in the gate ahead of me. mad rush arount the field to to pull the plants before the mower knocked them.
    think I got most of them. maybe a 80 or 90 plants. not a lot but enough to make it worth my while doing
    from the research i have done on ragworth cattle will not eat it in hay as it is not palatable ,they will just leave it in the bottom of the feeder, however they will eat it in silage

from the research i have done on ragworth cattle will not eat it in hay as it is not palatable ,they will just leave it in the bottom of the feeder, however they will eat it in silage

The older generation around here always said that. I saw the first ragworth plant (Just 1) on my land in many years yesterday, I was weed licking and gave it a rub too. When its dead, I'll pull it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

When silage making first got popular, it was a common sight around here to see groups of people pulling ragwort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

still rather pull it now and have the roots up anyways

still rather pull it now and have the roots up anyways
    absolutely hate when they break before the roots... ;)

crows seem to have gone - yipee, probably off to eat some ones corn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

back from hols had a brill time with a surprise from my other half ,will fill you in later ,first bbq calf on the ground as we just got home,have seen some in other farm near by and as they have done will throw the remaining straws on the ground aswell.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

leg wax wrote: »
    back from hols had a brill time with a surprise from my other half ,will fill you in later ,first bbq calf on the ground as we just got home,have seen some in other farm near by and as they have done will throw the remaining straws on the ground aswell.:mad:

calf too handy for you wax is he? sure he would be ideal on first timers surely ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Lads , I hate to bring up the topic because its about Rats.
    I ve been putting down Baited poison for the last week. I`m using the coated wheat stuff. The thing is every day I put 2-300g into a few pipes around the yard then within a few hours the rats have taken it, Yet no sign of any dead ones.
    Are they eating it or just storing it away someplace? Or is that stuff any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Never used that stuff myself. I had storm blocks broken up into 4 or 5 pieces. I'd leave maybe 4-5 broken up blocks at each bait point inside some plastic pipe so nothing else could see or get at it. When the pieces would be gone I would not re-bait the pipe for one week at least. Now, I've no rats :) Found five (I think) dead ones out the back of the shed and burnt them so nothing could eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

One of two things happening there I'd say. Either they're gathering it up at the nest and not eating it or else they've died but you haven't found one yet. As John said, limit the amount of poison you put out because they don't always eat it straight away.

We had rats in the garage last year and put down poison, like you never found any dead ones so didn't know where they'd gone to. Got our answer a few months later when the shed started stinking. They had crawled in around the back of presses or into the bottom of a few bags that were lying around and then died. Trying to clear all of them out and get rid of the smell was one unpleasant job i can tell you :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

The thing about the grains is they dont really take them away to store them up (unlike the storm blocks) they only way they can carry grain is in their bellies.

Keep going till they stop taking it!

bought 1 kilo container of stockholm tar yesterday.... opened it this morning to put on the dry cows , now who in their right mind puts tar in a plastic bag in a tub:rolleyes: was not impressed also managed to get tar all over me trousers and wellies as it was really runny, no flies on me for a while so:o

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

bought 1 kilo container of stockholm tar yesterday.... opened it this morning to put on the dry cows , now who in their right mind puts tar in a plastic bag in a tub:rolleyes: was not impressed also managed to get tar all over me trousers and wellies as it was really runny, no flies on me for a while so:o

Is there any tar or something that you can put on a cow which the calf is still sucking?

fook fook fook, first sultan bull calf born,really small not very good but hardy,just up from field and cow stood on his hoof and pulled off the outer shell on his back leg.:mad:

weefarmer wrote: »
    Is there any tar or something that you can put on a cow which the calf is still sucking?
    spot on pour on or similar for flies

fook fook fook, first sultan bull calf born,really small not very good but hardy,just up from field and cow stood on his hoof and pulled off the outer shell on his back leg.:mad:
    What do you men by the 'outer shell'?

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    the part of the hoof that you pair,the hard outer shell see it below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Make sure you use gloves when pulling ragworth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

the part of the hoof that you pair,the hard outher shell see it below.
    We had a bb calf born on sunday night his hoof is the exact same way as yours today but i dont know what happened to him . They are fierce soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

herd test today.
    370 head throught the crush in 3hrs 15min for tb only. will be curious to works out what the vet makes and hr when the bill comes in.

mowers humming away outside the window knocking silage, hope them showers stay away.

milkprofit wrote: »
    Make sure you use gloves when pulling ragworth
    yup .... went out for a while this evening , getting closer to a ragworth free zone:)

• Advertisement

At least you guys are only losing hooves, had a big stillborn blonde heifer calf this morning:mad:. Cow was off form the last few days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

hope he turns out ok legs! how did she breed the last few years. was she abit premature? we have a few calvin to him next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Looking at the pics, if thats all the damage, it's hard to see it having any lasting impact on the calf.
    Keep an eye on the flies though!

hope he turns out ok legs! how did she breed the last few years. was she abit premature? we have a few calvin to him next month.
    the calf was on time but did look premature with the hair around the navel area

pakalasa wrote: »
    would you need to put a bandage around it , do ya think? maybe put some tar above the hoof or spray some alamycin spray on it to help it heal

The Rats have stop taking the bait, Thats five days of constant topping up and refills of poison
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Grecco wrote: »
    The Rats have stop taking the bait, Thats five days of constant topping up and refills of poison

They may have found something which tastes better. ;)

the part of the hoof that you pair,the hard outer shell see it below.
    Right, I've got you now. Never seen that before.
    I take it he'll be ok. I've always thought that the hoove is soft & round to stop the calf breaking through the placenta in the womb. The bottom of it then wears flat from walking. Don't know how important that outer shell is though.
    Might be one for the vet.

They may have found something which tastes better. ;)

I hope not, I could have picked em all off with a shotgun,
    if only I had one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

had a calf with bad bloat today- vet left a ventilation contraption in her

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement