Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whelan1 wrote: »
    anyone watching rte1

Afraid not, putting the kids to bed. Teeth brushed, pj's on, 10 min cartoon and then off to the bedroom ;)

Wife is away working and babysitter is arriving in an hour. A few rare and welcome pints tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i am having my first glass of wine since last monday:) finally feeling better, bloody bronchitis! first day not feeling crap

i am having my first glass of wine since last monday:) finally feeling better, bloody bronchitis! first day not feeling crap

Enjoy. The cartoon is over so back to work for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Few questions lads and lassies
    1. Would the lifeline pre Calver do the bull any harm, have a bucket in the creep he is in. The cows access the bucket from the slats also,
    2. Am working on the basis of 1 bale of silage to 15 cows, is that everyone else way of thinking,
    3. When people introduce straw to extend silage supplies do you feed the straw mixed with silage or separately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

hugo29 wrote: »
    Few questions lads and lassies
    1. Would the lifeline pre Calver do the bull any harm, have a bucket in the creep he is in. The cows access the bucket from the slats also,
    2. Am working on the basis of 1 bale of silage to 15 cows, is that everyone else way of thinking,
    3. When people introduce straw to extend silage supplies do you feed the straw mixed with silage or separately

I don't have a diet feeder but if I did that's a good way to feed it. Another way is roll out a bale along a feed passage and then put grabs of silage on top of the straw. It can be just left in a ring feeder too, needs to be good quality straw though.

The only thing to watch out for is the magnesium in the pre-calver. If it is in the form of cal mag crystals may form in the bull's urine:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

not farming related but worth a mention

this guy strikes a cord with my generation, probably all the more as I had some amazing fun on those streets

Very good film.

I am surprised to hear you say "my generation" Bob, I thought you were older...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Does anyone have the exact email address to send soil sample results to johnstown castle for derogation reasons? I emailed them to the open email address @ the nitrates section but knowing them so well I would prefer to send it to exact section. At the top of the letter if gives a address for reply but doesnt give an email address. What century are these guys operating in.

• Advertisement

It rained all day yesterday and all night last night, you won't get near a field for 4 weeks here and that's assuming weather improves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

not farming related but worth a mention

this guy strikes a cord with my generation, probably all the more as I had some amazing fun on those streets
    Alot of sense their all my construction buddies are gone.
    Only for the farm i'd be with them ,they took the the first 10 good reasons.
    The day job is like slave labour to try and make a week wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

caseman wrote: »
    Alot of sense their all my construction buddies are gone.
    Only for the farm i'd be with them ,they took the the first 10 good reasons.
    The day job is like slave labour to try and make a week wage.

Seems we are back at record levels of emigration again:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/emigration-at-famine-levels-as-200-leave-country-each-day-3339480.html

At the same time is there an agenda to get more to go? papers seem to be full of how great it is in Canada/Australia etc stories at the moment:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/if-you-cant-be-at-home-this-is-an-amazing-place-to-be-218170.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

ABlur wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/emigration-at-famine-levels-as-200-leave-country-each-day-3339480.html

At the same time is there an agenda to get more to go? papers seem to be full of how great it is in Canada/Australia etc stories at the moment:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/if-you-cant-be-at-home-this-is-an-amazing-place-to-be-218170.html

Most other measure of how we are doing are meaningless unless that tide is turned. The potential we are losing is immeasurable and everyone that leaves pushes real recovery further away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

ABlur wrote: »

Yes sad ,and all the best ones seem to be going who have something to offer and i don't think they will return this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Just wanted to offer my condolences to those who've suffered losses recently, I've been away from boards for the last week, but some sad news in the catch up.

I hope 2013 will be better for ye.

• Advertisement

happy new year everyone may all your wishes come true and more:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Happy new year everyone.

1chippy wrote: »
    Happy new year everyone.

easy lads and ladies there is still a good few hours left in 2012

oh and get the violins out:o, as I just fecked a knuckle on the shaft of the feeder, (own fault) so I have all the necessary tools out, namely the angle grinder and the sledge. hopefully get back in early enough to start the midnight party for one:D:D. If I dont see you's have a good 2013

easy lads and ladies there is still a good few hours left in 2012

oh and get the volions out as I just fecked a knuckle on the shaft of the feeder, (own fault) so I have all the necessary tools out, namely the angle grinder and the sledge. hopefully get back in early enough to start the midnight party for one:D:D
    spare a thought for those who are never awake for the new year:D still a few sickies in this house unfortunately- daughter who has spent a full hour crying(at least) yesterday and today for no reason, think meds are affecting her:rolleyes:- anyways onwards and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Getting to the stage it's almost impossible to move cattle on the road... Was dosing cattle today and one tourist pulled up in middle of the road diverting cattle into a lawn, 2 other people carriers full of people refusing to overtake driving alongside heifers with camcorders out every available window / door... Had my fill of them today ... First dry day of the Xmas and they brought out walkers, runners, tourists ... Bad day to be trying to move cattle :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Bodacious wrote: »
    Getting to the stage it's almost impossible to move cattle on the road... Was dosing cattle today and one tourist pulled up in middle of the road diverting cattle into a lawn, 2 other people carriers full of people refusing to overtake driving alongside heifers with camcorders out every available window / door... Had my fill of them today ... First dry day of the Xmas and they brought out walkers, runners, tourists ... Bad day to be trying to move cattle :-(

It's long got to that stage around us. I'n my opinion the days of cattle on the road is over. There is no tolerance of them by the motorist and even a road you think is quiet will become a race track the moment you want to move a few cattle. Even crossing a road now can be a problem.

Bizzum wrote: »
    It's long got to that stage around us. I'n my opinion the days of cattle on the road is over. There is no tolerance of them by the motorist and even a road you think is quiet will become a race track the moment you want to move a few cattle. Even crossing a road now can be a problem.

we only usually have to move cattle a couple of hundred meters along a road nowadays, maybe every second week. What we do now is just park a vehicle across either end where the cattle are coming and going to, as people just wouldnt take instruction, granted often there is no car held up as its is only a country road

we only usually have to move cattle a couple of hundred meters along a road nowadays, maybe every second week. What we do now is just park a vehicle across either end where the cattle are coming and going to, as people just wouldnt take instruction, granted often there is no car held up as its is only a country road

Probably the right way to do it. These country roads are very quiet.............. 'till you let cattle out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

We gave up walking smallish numbers of cattle across the road, preferring to trailer them instead.
    When we had bigger numbers (a few times a year), we'd get the Guards out to stop the traffic.

The days of standing out into the road with your hand in the air and the traffic obeying your instructions are over, unfortunately :(

Happy new year everyone ;)

2013 is the driest year so far I can ever remember

update 1.03am
    sorry to report after going to the jaxx, that is after pouring down

2013 is the driest year so far I can ever remember

Oh God fierce dry altogether :D

I hope you got that spicer joint changed .... although I'd say you sprained and f**ked up more than that!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Not round here... It started with a massive flash of lightening followed by hailstones like golfballs as I went from the shed to the house after checking an in-calf !!

update 1.03am
    sorry to report after going to the jaxx, that is after pouring down

Was it warm itself................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/woman-garda-stabbed-with-cattle-needle-in-bar-3339937.html

When I saw this headine I immediately guessed "this must've happened in Louth or Monaghan" (no offence Chippy or Whelan!)
    Where else would you get an amadan carrying a cattle syringe on a night out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/woman-garda-stabbed-with-cattle-needle-in-bar-3339937.html

When I saw this headine I immediately guessed "this must've happened in Louth or Monaghan" (no offence Chippy or Whelan!)
    Where else would you get an amadan carrying a cattle syringe on a night out :rolleyes:

You would get a madman pretty much anywhere tbh.

Jaysus the poor girl what the fcuk do lads be thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

"The needle has been seized as evidence in the investigation and a source said it measures approximately 3cm long and the hollow tip is about 1cm wide."
    WTF??? :confused:

that would be an extremely busy pub, very popular... he sounds like a total idiot...

mf240 wrote: »
    You would get a madman pretty much anywhere tbh.

Jaysus the poor girl what the fcuk do lads be thinking.

Do fellas actually sit down and decide to bring a needle out with them and stick it in some poor woman, god help that poor woman over next 6 months wondering what is going to happen

Happy new year everyone, it's started off dry although last night went out with a bang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

hugo29 wrote: »

Do fellas actually sit down and decide to bring a needle out with them and stick it in some poor woman, god help that poor woman over next 6 months wondering what is going to happen
    It will probably leave us all having to account for every needle/syringe we use.
    Was it some sort of bloat needle at that diameter or should it have read 1mm instead of 1cm.

When I saw this headine I immediately guessed "this must've happened in Louth or Monaghan"(no offence Chippy or Whelan!)
    Ah now wesley, i have seen random things but never anything as stupid as using a needle when on the pull. You could have just left it at louth. we are a better class of ejit.

Took a call last night just after 12 to a cow calving. Had to be collected (few beers) to go down and took a pair of twins, from a cow that calved another pair 350 days ago. Twin heifers both times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Glad to hear a good luck story for ya choppy for a change.

• Advertisement

td5man wrote: »
    It will probably leave us all having to account for every needle/syringe we use.
    Was it some sort of bloat needle at that diameter or should it have read 1mm instead of 1cm.
    ye. id say the dimmensions where wrong, bloody stupid thing to do anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, and it's the kind of thing they'd want to 'nip in the bud'. No point to it, at all. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/4354205

A well was good while it lasted

1chippy wrote: »
    Took a call last night just after 12 to a cow calving. Had to be collected (few beers) to go down and took a pair of twins, from a cow that calved another pair 350 days ago. Twin heifers both times.

Twins is hereditary in humans, I wonder is it the same in cattle?

first death of the year, just incase we may get off to a good start:D, done a c-section on this heifer late sunday evening with a monster of a calf, obviously dead, we taught we done a perfect job and presumed heifer would be okay. 30hrs late and dead. the usual craic bought as a maiden heifer, and seller wont play ball as I noticed her about 2 months back. I couldnt return her as my herds restricted. there is going to have to be some sort of protocol put in place by the marts for this constant problem, the financial hit were taking is unfair IMV

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd love to know what the hell he thought he was doing? Damn right that there is a file going to the DPP- no-one deserves to be poked with a needle.

The dimensions do seem a bit bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

first death of the year, just incase we may get off to a good start:D, done a c-section on this heifer late sunday evening with a monster of a calf, obviously dead, we taught we done a perfect job and presumed heifer would be okay. 30hrs late and dead. the usual craic bought as a maiden heifer, and seller wont play ball as I noticed her about 2 months back. I couldnt return her as my herds restricted. there is going to have to be some sort of protocol put in place by the marts for this constant problem, the financial hit were taking is unfair IMV

You know the story- sold as maiden and proved not, seller at fault.

Took a shovel to a field this morning. Spent about an hour digging a trench to let off water from about 1 acre of surface pond. It will make no difference but shure it made me happy. I am easily amused I suppose!!!

You know the story- sold as maiden and proved not, seller at fault.

if the seller wont play ball where am I going, not worth the time and effort chasing it up:(. Marts down these parts accept no responsibility which I think if challenged is wrong as my transaction is between me and the mart, not me and the seller. The animal leaves the sellers herd once entered into the mart and goes into there mart number and is then transferred into my herd when I buy it off the mart.

Its the same with renting ground through an auctioneer. Most people think that they will get paid no matter what. unfortunately if the leasee doesnt pay the auctioneer, they dont pay the lessor which seems crazy to me. why involved an auctioneer in the first place if this is the story and why are they entitled to their fees

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sheep/4353374

Someone extracting the urine me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Serious problem in this part of the country too. We sold 1 in 2011 that proved in calf last spring. We would like to think that we have a good reputation with buyers in this area and we took her back, paid the compensation that was demanded and cut our losses. Not going to get caught for 2012. We kept bulls and heifers separated and to be double sure, we scanned all heifers the day before selling.

The guy that bought our incalf heifer in 2011 had bought over 200 heifers and over 20 of them proved in calf!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement