Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Question

Going away for few days to visit outlaws in sunny south east
    Have bull in creep gettin half bucket of meal in morning and half bucket in evening, while away should I just give him 3 days supply in one hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Heifers in calf -
    I think there will be even more problems in the years ahead. With all the new breeding on the Maternal side of things, heifers will start bulling at a younger age. I had one myself, bulling at 8 months during the year. Panic to get her our of the field before the teaser bull did her serious damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hugo29 wrote: »
    Question

Have bull in creep gettin half bucket of meal in morning and half bucket in evening, while away should I just give him 3 days supply in one hit
    no... wont do him any harm to be hungry when you get back, there is a risk he will eat it all and be ill while you are away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

pakalasa wrote: »
    Heifers in calf -
    I think there will be even more problems in the years ahead. With all the new breeding on the Maternal side of things, heifers will start bulling at a younger age. I had one myself, bulling at 8 months during the year. Panic to get her our of the field before the teaser bull did her serious damage.

The one that I had was bulled at 7 months by an 8 month weinling bull and calved down at 16 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

hugo29 wrote: »
    Question

whelan1 wrote: »
    no... wont do him any harm to be hungry when you get back, there is a risk he will eat it all and be ill while you are away

Wouldn't whoever's doing the herding for the 3 days be able to feed him as per his normal routine, or even a slightly bigger feed once a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Back in the office today :(
    I'm not sure which is worse, being back or being back and having nothing to do here - knowing I'll be foddering in the dark when I do get home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bbam wrote: »
    I'm not sure which is worse, being back or being back and having nothing to do here - knowing I'll be foddering in the dark when I do get home!

yep bit of sickening morning heading back to the day job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

reilig wrote: »

Serious problem in this part of the country too. We sold 1 in 2011 that proved in calf last spring. We would like to think that we have a good reputation with buyers in this area and we took her back, paid the compensation that was demanded and cut our losses. Not going to get caught for 2012. We kept bulls and heifers separated and to be double sure, we scanned all heifers the day before selling.

The guy that bought our incalf heifer in 2011 had bought over 200 heifers and over 20 of them proved in calf!!

I reckon 20 out of 200 would be fairly common, I'd say we had between 7-8% of bought in heifers turned out to be in calf in 2012.

farmerjack wrote: »
    I reckon 20 out of 200 would be fairly common, I'd say we had between 7-8% of bought in heifers turned out to be in calf in 2012.

We also had a second heifer that we sold in September 2011. In may 2012 we got a call from the buyer to say that she was in calf. Again, we're honourable enough when it comes to selling cattle. I drove 70 miles each way to pick her up. Paid the guy what he demanded and brought her home. By the first week in July and 10 months after she had left our yard the first time, she hadn't calved and was showing no sign of calving. The vet checked her and reconed she wouldn't calve till August at least. I loaded her back into the trailer, brought her back that 70 miles, collected my money + my travel and keep expenses. I wasn't happy but I was satisfied!!

I hope she was lucky for him - he had fed her a lot of meal so it was quite possible that a section was in order for her.

Rovi wrote: »
    Wouldn't whoever's doing the herding for the 3 days be able to feed him as per his normal routine, or even a slightly bigger feed once a day?

Brother and he not into the farming, be afraid to send him in to the bull

• Advertisement

Funny, but that was the first thing I thought about when I came into work this morning. Sunset is 16.20PM at the moment, but will be bright till 5pm by the end of the month. That extra 30mins of daylight makes all the difference, when you finish at 4.30.:)
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78&month=1&year=2013&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Funny, but that was the first thing I thought about when I came into work this morning. Sunset is 16.20PM at the moment, but will be bright till 5pm by the end of the month. That extra 30mins of daylight makes all the difference, when you finish at 4.30.:)
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78&month=1&year=2013&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Most days I don't get home till six so hopefully I'll have them out by the time it's bright at six, out part time at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Rovi wrote: »
    "The needle has been seized as evidence in the investigation and a source said it measures approximately 3cm long and the hollow tip is about 1cm wide."
    WTF??? :confused:

That's not a needle that's an inch of 6mm piping.

Seriously though that's some worry for that girl to have to go through no matter how remote the chances of infection are.

Heifers in calf -

AFAIK puberty is more weight driven than age driven. I don't think the type of sire will have much impact TBH.

Next door neighbour hit off there around half an hour ago with slurry tanker. I thought he had plenty of storage TBH. Ground needs another couple of dry days before travelling really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Same here. Still glad to have the job, we'll be a long time waiting for the farm to make us rich ;)

Now this what we need...

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Oct1974_Dry.PDF

No wonder I remember my childhood summers as being long, hot and sunny :rolleyes:
    Cavan had less than 25% of its average rainfall for the whole period..

Now this what we need...

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Oct1974_Dry.PDF

No wonder I remember my childhood summers as being long, hot and sunny :rolleyes:
    Cavan had less than 25% of its average rainfall for the whole period..

The feckers with dry land would be complaining then. If we could get it north of the Esker Riada and a normal summers for those in the south then the majority of the farmers in the country would be happy :)

The feckers with dry land would be complaining then. If we could get it north of the Esker Riada and a normal summers for those in the south then the majority of the farmers in the country would be happy :)

Never. It'll always balance out. You can't beat a dry summer. If grass is suffering the wholecrops will be booming.

• Advertisement

Never. It'll always balance out. You can't beat a dry summer. If grass is suffering the wholecrops will be booming.

You only have to go back to posts from March and April 2012 in this thread to see lads complaining of a lack of rainfall after 2 dry weeks. I can only imagine the crys if we got a whole month without rain!!

You only have to go back to posts from March and April 2012 in this thread to see lads complaining of a lack of rainfall after 2 dry weeks. I can only imagine the crys if we got a whole month without rain!!

I know but they got their answer. Only trouble was we al got a dose of it as well. One of the neighbours fed silage all summer 2011 apart from 2 weeks in a reasonably normal summer. We fed from early August 2011 due to drought also and we would not be heavily stocked. It's just part of the cost of doing business around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

AFAIK puberty is more weight driven than age driven. I don't think the type of sire will have much impact TBH.
    Had a hereford heifer calve down here at 15 months and was only around 350 kg when calving. She was too far gone by the time we noticed her and the vet said to just let her on.
    She calved with assistance but no cesarian reared a serious calf and we let her to the bull again last year. She didnt grow much but we have her on a restricted diet and hopefully she will pop in a week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

no breed most definatly comes into it ( I doubt that there is much variation between bulls within breeds though)
    Thats why jerseys can be bred at much lighter weights than big holisteins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

no breed most definatly comes into it ( I doubt that there is much variation between bulls within breeds though)

Ya but they would be of the same age there just a smaller animal.

If they were badly reared they would come in heat for the first time later than if they were reared really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Spoke to our student today, absolutly no experience never milked a cow. I know I still have to meet him and I really would like to give him a chance. Anyone have a similar experience and how did it work out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

delaval wrote: »
    Spoke to our student today, absolutly no experience never milked a cow. I know I still have to meet him and I really would like to give him a chance. Anyone have a similar experience and how did it work out?

He might be more open minded than a know it all telling ya the way they do it at home.

Sure unless hes thick hell learn.

Is it hard to get a student nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Neighbours wife is from the middle of dublin and she took to milking no bother.

You know I think your right. I asked had he ever milked he said no which is better than telling me a pack of lies as many did before. I really liked his honesty, I haave a blank canvass to brain wash that jex is the only way. It would be some craic if he ends up with a pedigree holstein breeder next year. I have never failed to get a student so I don't know is the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
    Neighbours wife is from the middle of dublin and she took to milking no bother.
    husband is from the middle of dublin and he didnt:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

The missus is from a town she had no problem doing milking feeding calves doing broilers or turkeys

• Advertisement

I didn't say breed I said type. The post I replied to mentioned maternal type sires giving daughters with an earlier onset of puberty. I said i didn't think so that it was weight related more than anything. Age comes into it to some degree. It's weight within a breed. Obviously a 200kg Jersey could start bulling you'd probably need another 50kg on a large type charolais before she would start bulling.

You know I think your right. I asked had he ever milked he said no which is better than telling me a pack of lies as many did before. I really liked his honesty, I haave a blank canvass to brain wash that jex is the only way. It would be some craic if he ends up with a pedigree holstein breeder next year. I have never failed to get a student so I don't know is the answer

Sounds like a decent lad. In fairness it's not rocket science and honesty, a good work ethic and an ability to learn is more valuable than anything else.

How long will he spend with you?

15 weeks starting Monday. Will be here for all the calving and ai of heifers. Yea the challenge is growing on me, my only worry is that we get so busy here that if he can only do certain things he will be left with all the ****ty jobs. We do not want to treat him badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

my only worry is that we get so busy here that if he can only do certain things he will be left with all the ****ty jobs. We do not want to treat him badly.

He's a green cert student? From what I've heard from a few different lads who have got placement over the past yr or so, If your actually worried about giving him the sh**ty jobs your chap will be fine for definite ha, some of the stories coming back are rough, there are some strange fish of dairyfarmers out there!

15 weeks starting Monday. Will be here for all the calving and ai of heifers. Yea the challenge is growing on me, my only worry is that we get so busy here that if he can only do certain things he will be left with all the ****ty jobs. We do not want to treat him badly.

I think I can see why you're no problems getting students. You treat them right. Best of luck with this lad if you decide to go with him.

My wife grew up on a farm and won't go near it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

just do it wrote: »
    Sounds like a decent lad. In fairness it's not rocket science and honesty, a good work ethic and an ability to learn is more valuable than anything else.

How long will he spend with you?

Give me a fellow that knows **** all about the job and I train him up my way, than some young fellow doing it the way his father does it. Come on lads you make it sound like putting on clusters is some sort of magical art, a monkey would nearly best it:D

You were to soft with him should have put your foot down from day one.
    Wife milks here when i'm busy and shes not from a farm, if i can change a nappy she can milk a cow.
    Think she said it was called equality.
    As long as she doesnt forget "whats hers is mine and whats mine is me own".
    Hope shes not on boards or i could be milking on me own for a while.

Would you blame her!

A Rohs sheep clippers costs €295 from Connacht Agri. Found a supplier in the UK who will sell the same sheep clipper + a separate cattle clipper for a total of £120 including delivery and offer a better warranty on it as well as a full parts back up. I'd shop local if the local's didn't have a 100% mark up!!

• Advertisement

A Rohs sheep clippers costs €295 from Connacht Agri. Found a supplier in the UK who will sell the same sheep clipper + a separate cattle clipper for a total of £120 including delivery and offer a better warranty on it as well as a full parts back up. I'd shop local if the local's didn't have a 100% mark up!!

Ahh yes, welcome to Ireland, land of the gougers !!

And then these same suppliers are on whinging about people shopping on tinternet and avoiding local business :mad:

People need a long term business mind, not just mug everyone who walks through the door and expect them to roll over and take it..

And you'll find that your local supplier has closer to 200% going by those numbers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

not saying they're not ripping you off, but be sure you're comparing like with like.

ROHS is an electrical/electronics standard which basically restricts the use of nasty chemicals in proucts such as lead, mercury cadmium and a few others. So any clippers being legitimately sold in the EU would be ROHS compliant, but that's all it means.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    not saying they're not ripping you off, but be sure you're comparing like with like.

ROHS is an electrical/electronics standard which basically restricts the use of nasty chemicals in proucts such as lead, mercury cadmium and a few others. So any clippers being legitimately sold in the EU would be ROHS compliant, but that's all it means.

They are 100% identical. Except one has a Connacht Agri Sticker on it and the other hasn't. It's an expensive bloody sticker!

same here wife grew up on a farm and wont go next or near it, and gives out about the smell :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Give me a fellow that knows **** all about the job and I train him up my way, than some young fellow doing it the way his father does it. Come on lads you make it sound like putting on clusters is some sort of magical art, a monkey would nearly best it:D

Bob the days of being a dairy farmer meaning all you have to do is throw on a few clusters are long gone. Only at the weekend we were going through the dairy farmers locally and the rubbish ones have either left dairy completely or have upped their game considerably

And post 2015 I think there won't be any rubbish ones left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Bob the days of being a dairy farmer meaning all you have to do is throw on a few clusters are long gone. Only at the weekend we were going through the dairy farmers locally and the rubbish ones have either left dairy completely or have upped their game considerably

And post 2015 I think there won't be any rubbish ones left

its not as if your going to give a student the running of the place while you go off on a month long cruise. some of you dairy lads come free with a handle for winding up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Good man Reilig,

I did the same there before Xmas and the Swedish Heineger saphir cordless .. There was huge price difference ... Best on that model were a gang in NI called Christies and if you gave them vat no. Even better NI companies understand that alot better, Uk companies are afraid to do anything like that IMO.

Jamescountrysupplies were fairly good too on price, similar site to pedigree cattle .ie... Who did you use ?

Bodacious wrote: »
    Good man Reilig,

I did the same there before Xmas and the Swedish Heineger saphir cordless .. There was huge price difference ... Best on that model were a gang in NI called Christies and if you gave them vat no. Even better NI companies understand that alot better, Uk companies are afraid to do anything like that IMO.

Jamescountrysupplies were fairly good too on price, similar site to pedigree cattle .ie... Who did you use ?

Not going as deep in investment as you :)
    Heineger are by far the best. However I only clip the few cows and shear 20 ewes, so I won't be relying on it too much!

I haven't bought yet, but a company called Sure Clip have come in with the best price so far, although there are several other companies in the uk who supply the exact same product as Connacht Agri at much lower prices.

I see this thread has now hit over 500,000 views. Way to go Whelan1.
    Pity you don't hold royalties.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Not going as deep in investment as you :)
    Heineger are by far the best. However I only clip the few cows and shear 20 ewes, so I won't be relying on it too much!

I haven't bought yet, but a company called Sure Clip have come in with the best price so far, although there are several other companies in the uk who supply the exact same product as Connacht Agri at much lower prices.

I didn't buy the heiniger either in the end went for a hunt master one... Larger and more powerful with 2 batteries , 3 blades thrown in for £169 stg, equivalent sized/ powered heiniger is E500! Though they probably are the nuts, but alot of money for a piece of kit

Must look at them sure clip crowd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement