Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

We hired a guy into clip all freeze brands and tails €10/hour.

Soil temp 7.7oc today things starting to green up. Would an early spring be too much to hope for?

Any prices for Urea or CAN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

how much would a student be paid for the 15weeks??

hang on there delaval thers a sting in this winter tale ye if i can remember correctly mt on the weather form was saying a very cold end to jan early feb.if i can find it ill post it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Like the slurry, is there closed period for spreading N fertilizer? You guys are giving me ideas....

35 hrs /week

€122 /week

delaval wrote: »
    35 hrs /week

€122 /week
    Funny that's similar to what the au-pair gets. €100 for 30hrs a week (plus a night's babysitting :))

• Advertisement

not a lot when u consider what the dole pays

naughto wrote: »
    not a lot when u consider what the dole pays

But I know which one I'd prefer to be on!

Where did you get au-pair? We didn't bother trying very rural area she would need a car. We pay a child minder to come to house 2 days/week €10 / hour

Student's card stamped

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Remember getting 40 sterling when I did my placement in Scotland many moons ago
    ....miss the old famous grouse whiskey...

just do it wrote: »

Very tempting to be smart here!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Very interesting article re. grazing fodder beet. Anyone ever try it with dry or milking cows?

We used to grow kale, I do not miss it one bit very hard to manage hot wire because of it's height and lost the entire crop to frost in 2010

Where did you get au-pair? We didn't bother trying very rural area she would need a car. We pay a child minder to come to house 2 days/week €10 / hour

Got her through this website http://www.aupair-world.net/ We talked to a lot of people before taking the plunge and this seems to be where they are all sourcing au-pairs now.

We are also very rural but don't let that turn you off. Some of them like our au-pair prefers this. She likes walking which is a big bonus for our labrador. He's gotten fat since she went home for Christmas! Also she likes the farm and cows calving etc so it's an attraction rather than anything else. She's insured on the family car and has use of it when it is free. Again depending on the girl this won't be a big issue.

I have to say it's a godsend as my wife works every second weekend and is away for it. It allows me to do my farm work without having to bring the kids with me. Also I can pop down to the sheds to check on a cow when she's here if the missus is out. She doesn't work as many hours as some of her new au-pair friends, but the flexibility of hours worked was the key thing for us.

does the farmer have to pay or is it the college??
    as long as farmers dont go to town on it like the jobbridge crap then its win,win for both sides.
    i have heard some unreal stories about the jobbridge being abused

Very tempting to be smart here!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, someone else will ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

as long as farmers dont go to town on it like the jobbridge crap then its win,win for both sides.

the farmer pays, some lads would treat a dog better and some are genuine,luck of the draw

I'd say it's the farmer. Don't know as I'm only a part-time farmer with a small herd.

I'd say it's the farmer. Don't know as I'm only a part-time farmer with a small herd.
    iam no time farmer with no herd but iam still stuck in the middle of it:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

It was the farmer when I did it a few years back anyway and it was either 200 or 250 a week but I cant remember for sure. That jobbridge is a cod of a thing, my girlfriends brother is in it with a year, He was meant to be starting his apprenticeship in September but his employer is great friends with the jobbridge fellow and he is trying to keep him on that so that he has free labour, meanwhile the girlfriends brother has a year worked which could be a year of his apprenticeship done if it wasnt for cnuts like that abusing the system. I think its up for review again before the end of this month and if he try's the same thing again he is going to bail out because it has been done to him twice by the same lad already.

Jobbridge?

Give me a fellow that knows **** all about the job and I train him up my way, than some young fellow doing it the way his father does it. Come on lads you make it sound like putting on clusters is some sort of magical art, a monkey would nearly best it:D

That's what I'm thinking. Agree about milking not rocket science especially when he'll never be on his own

• Advertisement

http://www.jobbridge.ie/

this is just some of the crap that they get away with

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74439831

Can't be bothered reading it can a farmer get labour from this scheme?

Can't be bothered reading it can a farmer get labour from this scheme?
    well i cant be bothered to answer that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

its not as if your going to give a student the running of the place while you go off on a month long cruise. some of you dairy lads come free with a handle for winding up:D

Ya Bob lots of fellows r off over nothing alright n even some of the beef guys r getting in on the act now! Will they ever learn to relax! Funny how d journal runs pages on how to put on clusters! Come on like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I was watching these documentaries there on Horse and Country (sky 280) last night. It's UK based, but it would have been fairly similar here in Ireland in many respects.

The one on milk and another on beef I found really interesting. (dedicated progs on fruit/veg and wheat aswell)

Here's a youtube trailer I found online to give you a taster
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puWlIrmbpiQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

They're good alright, I think the beef one especially so.

Still havent managed to see the dairy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Congrats greysides...did you become a mod recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beefbaron

Had a cyserian section on a cow with a monster Charolais calf. Vet arrived within 20 minutes and did a great job. Mother and son doing fine
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Beefbaron wrote: »
    Had a cyserian section on a cow with a monster Charolais calf. Vet arrived within 20 minutes and did a great job. Mother and son doing fine
    :)
    48hrs before you really know if it was a good job,but great news,what breed of cow ,what bull,any chance of a pic up on photo thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

leg wax wrote: »
    48hrs before you really know if it was a good job,but great news,what breed of cow ,what bull,any chance of a pic up on photo thread.

Agreed, My vet and I done a close on perfect job late last sunday night, cleaning and all came out as calf dead a while. We commented when we finished we would give her a 95% chance. she was dead 30hrs laters:D:D. So much for my Vet and I views :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

pakalasa wrote: »

Zero-Grazing O Naturale :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

So was milkin daisy there the other day when a message comes up saying I need an update for my farmville profile.I accept and when I get back on daisy,s milk bucket is empty and I have to start over.I tell ya I almost broke my keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

pakalasa wrote: »
    Stanflt put the cows out today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

td5man wrote: »
    Stanflt put the cows out today?
    I don't think he'd be associated with those jersey x

• Advertisement

caseman wrote: »
    Those Jex are very clever even able to press button to move fence:p

caseman wrote: »
    Maybe hes changed to a low input system!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beefbaron

Can you advise on how to do the photothread thing please??

Lads have any of ye any experience of these linden agri powerboxes? Had planned to buy one over the next few months, havnt priced any other brands yet but was just wondering if they are any good because I wouldnt be familiar with them.

Beefbaron wrote: »
    Can you advise on how to do the photothread thing please??

When you go to create a new post look at the icon's above where you are writing. The paperclip icon is for attachments, when you click it a window will open and then choose the file to upload from your computer.

• Advertisement

Like the slurry, is there closed period for spreading N fertilizer? You guys are giving me ideas....
    Just reading the journal, same opening day for slurry, farmyard manure and chemical fertiliser ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Jaysus, since I was last here there's been a lot going on!
    Both good and bad news from the look (read) of things:(

I spent New years Eve/Day in hospital so I can side with the bad stories.
    On the plus side, weather is clear enough here today although I still wouldn't dare walk in any of the fields yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Kovu Murr wrote: »

On the plus side, weather is clear enough here today although I still wouldn't dare walk in any of the fields yet.
    feck, hope you're ok... yup plenty of reading on here to keep you occupied:D

Sorry to hear it Kuvo, I hope the tide turns for you this year.

Do you not have a smartphone? I thought everyone your age had one

Sorry to hear it Kuvo, I hope the tide turns for you this year.

Do you not have a smartphone? I thought everyone your age had one

My age! Cheek:eek: I haven't even reached the quarter century yet (just)

I have a blackberry but don't use it for much other than email and texting.
    I'm back to myself again now.....I think.
    Raging at the nurses though, had a canula in one arm so they were taking blood from the other and one day they came 4 separate times to take blood from me, why couldn't they do it all at once!:confused:

Edit- Oh and since I hadn't read anything since Dec 23rd, I had a LOT of catching up to do!
    Regarding the testing, it's only female animals that need to be blooded in your herd if you want to sell them within the 60 days. Dealers can sell next day from a purchase if they like.

And as for the videos, sure don't I backflip like that at work every week in the passageways :D

My age! Cheek:eek: I haven't even reached the quarter century yet (just)

I have a blackberry but don't use it for much other than email and texting.
    I'm back to myself again now.....I think.
    Raging at the nurses though, had a canula in one arm so they were taking blood from the other and one day they came 4 separate times to take blood from me, why couldn't they do it all at once!:confused:

Exactly, you're a young 'un ;)

They must be selling your blood on the black market!

Exactly, you're a young 'un ;)

They must be selling your blood on the black market!

Either that or they like inflicting pain!

Least it wasn't a 1cm dimension gauge :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Those Jex are very clever even able to press button to move fence:p

Had a cow who could reach up and grab with her mouth the string for the feeder in the parlour and pull her own nuts! Drove us mental, ended up covering all the ropes to stop it. Some of them Holsteins have plenty of brains also ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Timmaay wrote: »
    Had a cow who could reach up and grab with her mouth the string for the feeder in the parlour and pull her own nuts! Drove us mental, ended up covering all the ropes to stop it. Some of them Holsteins have plenty of brains also ha!

Cows will always learn fast when it has to do with their bellies.

Have heard that brown swiss cows are really clever.

Timmaay wrote: »

Didn't know a cow had nuts are you sure it wasn't a bull!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement