Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Cow moved into calving pen. Sit and watch on the phone now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

just do it wrote: »
    Cow moved into calving pen. Sit and watch on the phone now ;)

Have one meself goin to calf tonight ..
    Unfortunatly il be keepin tabs the old fashioned way :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Timmaay wrote: »
    Had a cow who could reach up and grab with her mouth the string for the feeder in the parlour and pull her own nuts! Drove us mental, ended up covering all the ropes to stop it. Some of them Holsteins have plenty of brains also ha!
    had one like that, she ended up getting ulcers from too much nuts;) she also opened gates into parlour during the night and fed herself and her mates:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Was on a friends farm today and they have a jcb 3c one of the first ones. They have a shear grab mounted on the front bucket and can hitch off in a matter af seconds. They cut out two holes in the back of bucket near top and have welded on two pieces of heavy flat like an upside down L that hook into it and the a hole drilled on bottom of bucket and a bar through a bushing and into it and that keeps it from tilting. Also has a set of forks for same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Richk2012 wrote: »

Have one meself goin to calf tonight ..
    Unfortunatly il be keepin tabs the old fashioned way :o
    How're you getting on Rich? Mine's just calved all the while watching Inglorious Basterds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

wrong tread oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Snip
    The KPMG girl telling us about daddy.

i didnt watch it but i get a horrible feeling about any of these videos, god help her after it was posted, she was obviously drunk at the time, no need to publicise it for the world to see, i am sure she will regret it every day for the rest of her life.... also i am sure we have all done things in our younger days that we are not proud of and thank god no one was videoing them

• Advertisement

You should be on politics.ie. scratch beneath the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

whelan1 wrote: »
    i didnt watch it but i get a horrible feeling about any of these videos, god help her after it was posted, she was obviously drunk at the time, no need to publicise it for the world to see, i am sure she will regret it every day for the rest of her life

You have to be responsible for your actions irrespective of what state your in.

You should be on politics.ie. scratch beneath the surface.
    how would you feel if it was your kid on full view for the world to see making an ass of themselves

how would you feel if it was your kid on full view for the world to see making an ass of themselves

Did you watch it?

You have to be responsible for your actions irrespective of what state your in.
    at 16 years of age we have all done stupid things.... you live and learn posting it up for the world to see might give some people a laugh but imagine her family and what she must be listening to since

Did you watch it?
    i make a point of not watching things like that, read about it on the front of the sunday independent

• Advertisement

I make a point of not reading the Sindo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Agree with Whelan here...

I don't see why it was posted in the farming chit chat to be honest...

I make a point of not reading the Sindo.
    each to their own

Agree with Whelan here...

I don't see why it was posted in the farming chit chat to be honest...

There is a lot of stuff posted here that doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:

Well, I can't argue with that. ;)

Personally I wouldn't like to see this thread be reduced to somewhere people peddle their own agendas, or where YouTube rubbish 'man hit in the groin with a football' type videos are posted... We can all go to After hours or politics or some other forum for that...

But, that's just my opinion, so if it happens, I guess I'll just tune out of this thread... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

In fairness you will have to do an awful lot of searching in this thread to find a post which isn't related to Farming or related to the lives of the farmers who post on this forum.

What you posted is neither and would probably be suited to a forum like After Hours.

reilig wrote: »
    In fairness you will have to do an awful lot of searching in this thread to find a post which isn't related to Farming or related to the lives of the farmers who post on this forum.

What you posted is neither and would probably be suited to a forum like After Hours.

Yes and no. I agree that it seems to be totally unrelated to farming. But, when you look into the bigger picture, this is very much related to our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Well, I can't argue with that. ;)

Personally I wouldn't like to see this thread be reduced to somewhere people peddle their own agendas, or where YouTube rubbish 'man hit in the groin with a football' type videos are posted... We can all go to After hours or politics or some other forum for that...

But, that's just my opinion, so if it happens, I guess I'll just tune out of this thread... :)

Off the tone of this thread altogether but when do your ewes start lambing John???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Just back from doing the hearding in the winterage now, Needless to say I didnt spend too long admiring the scenery today and was a happy lad when I got back to the jeep. Talk about bleek!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st loss of the year today ugh! Had an old cow which had slipped 6months or so, but the bull was running with them during the summer. Vet told us about 6wks ago that she was about 6months gone. Only spotted her springing yesterday, brought her into the calving shed today. Massive set of legs were coming so it was certainly time to call the vet. The vet was considering a C section, but said the calf was dead anyways, and old enough calf so he pulled away. The cow is fine now at least, 12yrs old so heading nowhere but the road this year anyways ha! (and yes, she probably should have gone last summer I'll admit, wasn't my call then ha!)

How the cow ended up putting so much into the calf though, as he was massive. Had her on a restricted amount of silage the last few weeks.

sorry bout the calf, we will be starting back calving during the week, had a cow that hurt her foot in the scrapers , injected her yesterday and today and put her out for a while today in a field, went to get her this evening and was surprised how dry the paddock was, definitely drier than most of 2012

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Off the tone of this thread altogether but when do your ewes start lambing John???

Hello Rich,

Not lambing til start March, just scanned there the other day. So a bit to go yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

So Ken Ring reckons we're in for a scorcher this year. Anyone making plans for irrigation. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Just back from doing the hearding in the winterage now, Needless to say I didnt spend too long admiring the scenery today and was a happy lad when I got back to the jeep. Talk about bleek!!

12 degrees and humid here today. You'd be throwing off the jacket if you were working at all. A bit of bleak wouldn't go astray at all.

This is still 5/6yrs away they say, but an interesting read all the same about using satellite images to measure grass growth: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1112/1224326471262.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

12 degrees and humid here today. You'd be throwing off the jacket if you were working at all. A bit of bleak wouldn't go astray at all.

Yeah a bit warm numonia weather in the sheds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Timmaay wrote: »
    Had a cow who could reach up and grab with her mouth the string for the feeder in the parlour and pull her own nuts! Drove us mental, ended up covering all the ropes to stop it. Some of them Holsteins have plenty of brains also ha!
    Those b/w are very fond of nuts!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

delaval wrote: »
    Those b/w are very fond of nuts!!!!!!!!!!!

ssshhh! Dont mention the war!

At least the B&W was able to payback with more milk! (you walking into that one Delaval :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I had a nice breeze to drive on the rain, not too pleasant at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

And so it rains.
    Heavy rain all last night and still at it :(

bbam wrote: »
    And so it rains.
    Heavy rain all last night and still at it :(

Yeah, raining away here as well, and we had a good drop of it last night as well...
    I wont say we had some dry days, but we had some days there last week where it didnt make too much rain, and I thought the ground was looking a bit better... Not any more... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

delaval wrote: »
    Spoke to our student today, absolutly no experience never milked a cow. I know I still have to meet him and I really would like to give him a chance. Anyone have a similar experience and how did it work out?
    Studet started this am. Really keen plenty of pep in his step. Early days but we like his style so far!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He seemed to be more concerned about his lck of experience than us:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

just back from america during the christmas, jes i want to go back after seeing todays weather!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

kevthegaff wrote: »
    just back from america during the christmas, jes i want to go back after seeing todays weather!

Fine for some:D

whereabouts did you go?

just a heads up, rotavec corona is off the market til near the end of this month, there are alternatives available but not as good imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just a heads up, rotavec corona is off the market til near the end of this month, there are alternatives available but not as good imo

I tried the Vet last week and was told it was on back order this long time and couldnt be got. I wonder why is there a shortage?
    I got some from another Vet to get me out. What are the alternatives?

Bizzum wrote: »
    I tried the Vet last week and was told it was on back order this long time and couldnt be got. I wonder why is there a shortage?
    I got some from another Vet to get me out. What are the alternatives?
    i think trivactin is one and there is another one beginning with n( very helpful i know:cool:) i have a few shots left and hopefully it will be back in stock soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tkehoe

would anyone be able to point me in the direction of where id pick up a few fr cull cows? somewhere there does be a reasonable number of them, in the south east area , what does enniscorthy or new ross be like for them? how many would be there roughly? any help much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

tkehoe wrote: »
    would anyone be able to point me in the direction of where id pick up a few fr cull cows? somewhere there does be a reasonable number of them, in the south east area , what does enniscorthy or new ross be like for them? how many would be there roughly? any help much appreciated
    new ross can have up to 40 cows a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

leg wax wrote: »

Many suckie calves in it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mf240 wrote: »
    Many suckie calves in it yet?

Mad on Sat from what I heard. Any sort of a continental heifer making 300. Fr bull @ 200

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tkehoe

leg wax wrote: »

thats one possibility anyway, whta about enniscorthy? dungarvan? carrick on suir? cant think of anymore i know of in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Does anyone know how to send a pm to someone if you know their boards name, but can't find a post they have posted? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Muckit wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to send a pm to someone if you know their boards name, but can't find a post they have posted? :confused:
    Just google boards.ie with username. That usually finds them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement