Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i was talking to a lad today who had a calf born on 1 january, he applied online to register calf and also ticked the box for the movement permit, also sent off bvd test... got card today but also a letter to say permit cannot be issued until bvd results are through... just a heads up if you where going to sell calf on, bvd results have to be back before you can get movement cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whelan1 wrote: »
    i was talking to a lad today who had a calf born on 1 january, he applied online to register calf and also ticked the box for the movement permit, also sent off bvd test... got card today but also a letter to say permit cannot be issued until bvd results are through... just a heads up if you where going to sell calf on, bvd results have to be back before you can get movement cert

I'm glad to hear it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

tkehoe wrote: »
    thats one possibility anyway, whta about enniscorthy? dungarvan? carrick on suir? cant think of anymore i know of in the area

Ross is your best bet out of all you have mentioned, I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

What happens if you are not selling
    I finish the bull and heifer calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

dzer2 wrote: »
    Surely they need testing anyway... Its compulsory since Jan1st

dzer2 wrote: »
    you still test.... you cannot test a calf unless it is registered and you cannot get a permit or sell in mart unless you have test results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

you still test.... you cannot test a calf unless it is registered and you cannot get a permit or sell in mart unless you have test results

You can send off a sample for a calf before it is registered but they wont give you the result until the calf is registered as far as i know.

tanko wrote: »
    You can send off a sample for a calf before it is registered but they wont give you the result until the calf is registered as far as i know.
    yes thats what i mean

just calved the first calf of the year- wasnt supposed to calve for a few weeks yet:o- a massive aa bull calf no way in hell she would have calved it herself.. head was very big and tongue was starting to swell, anyways got him out and heifer back up standing, will milk her in the morning, smashing looking heifer... used the jack (asked my husband to bring jack over to the shed, he arrived with only 1 part of it:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

just calved the first calf of the year- wasnt supposed to calve for a few weeks yet:o- a massive aa bull calf no way in hell she would have calved it herself.. head was very big and tongue was starting to swell, anyways got him out and heifer back up standing, will milk her in the morning, smashing looking heifer... used the jack (asked my husband to bring jack over to the shed, he arrived with only 1 part of it:rolleyes:)

u either need a new jack or new husband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Time he was shown the door:D won't milk, only brings part of the jack to an emergency calving enough I say;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

At least he tried to help or was it a deliberate mistake so he wouldn't be asked again.

when i asked where was the other part, he said " is there 2 parts to it?", to which i replied, i will get it myself!...sure he's only married to me 16 years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

when i asked where was the other part, he said " is there 2 parts to it?", to which i replied, i will get it myself!...sure he's only married to me 16 years....
    He could have came back with the Car Jack. :D

sure why would he bother with farming when he can get his good wife to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Good programme on horse and country now

Youre very polite even after 16 years

Ahh.
    Maybe he's a god in the kitchen :)

td5man wrote: »
    Youre very polite even after 16 years
    ah, its my birthday next week so i am being polite until i get my presents:D

• Advertisement

Just back from a night out, in A&E with two little f*****s who took panadol or didn't as it turned out.
    Was there @10 and left at 6:30, got a bed 4 hours sleep and breakfast so cant complain.
    Nice grass Whelan1 i'd swear i saw it growing bit wet though it's full of frogs.

td5man wrote: »
    Just back from a night out, in A&E with two little f*****s who took panadol or didn't as it turned out.
    Was there @10 and left at 6:30, got a bed 4 hours sleep and breakfast so cant complain.
    Nice grass Whelan1 i'd swear i saw it growing bit wet though it's full of frogs.
    was that in drogheda, staff are really good there, hope 2 kids are ok!

was that in drogheda, staff are really good there, hope 2 kids are ok!
    Yea first time i've been in the new a&e.
    No bother on the two they took panadol but spat them out but had to get them checked just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Savage day down this way today, and yesterday was great as well. Lovely cold, dry, blue-sky Spring days... :)

Savage day down this way today, and yesterday was great as well. Lovely cold, dry, blue-sky Spring days... :)
    was very cold here this morning... hopefully it will stay dry for a while now

Feckin had to come home from work with sore back. So bad I can hardly drive.
    Back pain, sciatic pain and knumbness/ pins and needles in foot. I know it'll pass but not without a few days of torture and sitting round.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Back pain, sciatic pain and knumbness/ pins and needles in foot. I know it'll pass but not without a few days of torture and sitting round.
    ouch, difene injection works well for me...look after yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

hope so hope to get a bit of slurry out along with alot of my neighbours

bbam wrote: »

Here's to a speedy recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

so the green cert iam being advised to do it.what are your thoughts??

1.is it worth it

2. can i do it on line

3.will i get my shoes dirthy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

lucky you havnt a son called jack;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

naughto wrote: »

1.is it worth it

2. can i do it on line

Pay someone else to do it in your name.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

beautiful dry day up here as well

Pay someone else to do it in your name.......
    but sure what will i learn from that

1.is it worth it

2. can i do it on line

1. Not at the moment but things may change - devil you know and all of that.

2. Yes - but still have to go to college for 20 days and don't know about availability.

3. Just about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

hugo29 wrote: »

beautiful dry day up here as well

Beautiful crisp day here as well. All the neighbours out with the slurry tanks. Would be great to get a week of this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

just had the first my first dairy cow calve, new entrant to milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

case 956 wrote: »

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Where you based lad? Best of luck! Hope all goes well for you. Will you be hoping to be fulltime or parttime at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

but sure what will i learn from that
    You want to learn something!!! Geez, stay away from the green cert and do a year with progressive dairy farmer
    But seriously, yeah its worth it on the long run.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Where you based lad? Best of luck! Hope all goes well for you. Will you be hoping to be fulltime or parttime at it?

part time for this yr, fulltime then, hope ta milk 100 in a few yrs
    thanks a million
    based in offaly supplying lakeland

You want to learn something!!! Geez, stay away from the green cert and do a year with progressive dairy farmer
    But seriously, yeah its worth it on the long run.
    i have a degree in IT as it is so dont mind going to college a few peole have advised me to do it as they are saying it will help me out down the line,iam 32 and i think you have to have it done by the time u are 35 is this correct

i have a degree in IT as it is so dont mind going to college a few peole have advised me to do it as they are saying it will help me out down the line,iam 32 and i think you have to have it done by the time u are 35 is this correct

Correct.

You're probably well advised to do it. It may well be a pre-requisite of future grant schemes, revenue reliefs etc etc. And if you learn something all the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

good start to the calving season twin bulls up and sucking when i went out this morning they are also the first born off our new bull (lim) hopefully a good sign of whats to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

part time for this yr, fulltime then, hope ta milk 100 in a few yrs
    thanks a million
    based in offaly supplying lakeland

Where in Offaly? I'm near Edenderry cows due in 2 weeks new entrant also supplying Lakeland .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

husband is from the middle of dublin and he didnt:rolleyes:
    Mine from the middle of London and he's mighty when it comes to doing anything with the cattle. We don't milk, but he can feed calves, dose, act like a gate - but won't drive a tractor! So much for boys with toys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

KatyMac wrote: »
    Mine from the middle of London and he's mighty when it comes to doing anything with the cattle. We don't milk, but he can feed calves, dose, act like a gate - but won't drive a tractor! So much for boys with toys!

I worked alongside a logistic manager of one of the largest ag business in this state and he couldnt drive a car, the wife used to pick him up and drop him off to work:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I worked alongside a logistic manager of one of the largest ag business in this state and he couldnt drive a car, the wife used to pick him up and drop him off to work:D
    :D Maybe he liked his drink too much.

• Advertisement

farmerjack wrote: »
    Where in Offaly? I'm near Edenderry cows due in 2 weeks new entrant also supplying Lakeland .

not to far from ya farmerjack, 15 miles most daingean side:D ya starting with many and do you plan to expand to many??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement