Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tkehoe

nashmach wrote: »
    Ross is your best bet out of all you have mentioned, I would say.

thanks alot,will be heading there on saturday, what does enniscorthy be like? i wouldnt be too far from it either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

case 956 wrote: »

not to far from ya farmerjack, 15 miles most daingean side:D ya starting with many and do you plan to expand to many??

Calving down 30 heifers starting in about 10 days, will probably buy an extra 20/25 calved heifers/young cows in march. Milking platform capable of probably milking 140 cows comfortably so the option is there, I will probably drive on to 100 cows in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I worked alongside a logistic manager of one of the largest ag business in this state and he couldnt drive a car, the wife used to pick him up and drop him off to work:D

Did he suffer from epilepsy? I know a chap that cant drive because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

farmerjack wrote: »
    Where in Offaly? I'm near Edenderry cows due in 2 weeks new entrant also supplying Lakeland .
    case 956 wrote: »
    not to far from ya farmerjack, 15 miles most daingean side:D ya starting with many and do you plan to expand to many??

Ye can meet in the Mona Bar and discuss it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

tkehoe wrote: »
    thanks alot,will be heading there on saturday, what does enniscorthy be like? i wouldnt be too far from it either

Not far from you ;)

Enniscorthy is quiet enough, Ross attracts stock from several counties now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Cows out.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Cows out.;)
    did they break out or are they grazing:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    did they break out or are they grazing:D

Just checked out the kitchen window still grazing:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

the bit of exercise will do them the power of good. plenty of grass around here aswell but it all ****e IMO, must get it cleaned off by light animals as forward cattle would melt on it and thats using on/off grazing. I was always told January grass was never any good and I have to agree with it. Give me a sward as bare as the top of my head 15th of Jan anyday over a grass cover. Cows I suppose are different and will me able to get more out of that type of grass. hopefully everyone gets their cows out as it would free up allot of grub for the rest of us:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Cows out.;)

JAYUS, has some of that heat in Australia hit waterford

• Advertisement

the bit of exercise will do them the power of good. plenty of grass around here aswell but it all ****e IMO, must get it cleaned off by light animals as forward cattle would melt on it and thats using on/off grazing. I was always told January grass was never any good and I have to agree with it. Give me a sward as bare as the top of my head 15th of Jan anyday over a grass cover. Cows I suppose are different and will me able to get more out of that type of grass. hopefully everyone gets their cows out as it would free up allot of grub for the rest of us:D
    had sheep in for the winter, going next week, kept 20 acres that they didnt graze... fookers broke in yesterday, i wasnt long in getting them moved back by their owner, had them in last year and had lovely grass after them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

had sheep in for the winter, going next week, kept 20 acres that they didnt graze... fookers broke in yesterday, i wasnt long in getting them moved back by their owner, had them in last year and had lovely grass after them

FFS WHY? I can't understand why a dairy farmer would let sheep in for the winter, robbing spring grass for cows. It's worth at least 1.50 per cow per day in reduced meal every day you get them out earlier. Ya you probably had lovely grass after them, but when?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

blue5000 wrote: »
    FFS WHY? I can't understand why a dairy farmer would let sheep in for the winter, robbing spring grass for cows. It's worth at least 1.50 per cow per day in reduced meal every day you get them out earlier. Ya you probably had lovely grass after them, but when?

Interestingly - I had some cows in towards the end of the summer, as had too much grazing. But I found the grass didn't grow half as good after the cattle, as it does after the sheep.
    The field greened up, but the re-growth was somehow a lot less dense, than if I had grazed it with sheep.

I think the theory is that grass grows more dense after sheep baring it, so I assume you would get more grass / acre afterwards. :confused:
    Whether this balances out against the meal cost per day would be interesting to work out, not sure how / who could tell you that though, cos I cant... :rolleyes:

yip, tack sheep are the job to clean off pastures (or light weanlings/calves as maintenance), remove them around now and you will have serious grass the 15th of feb in a normal year then apply a couple of k gls slurry. This theory that very early grass is saving you a fortune is a myth. its saving you feed indoors but replacing with a very mediocre product with a very low amount of energy surly isnt what a cow needs in early lactation. cheap today, cheap in the long run? hmm

if you are out of feed indoors then you may have no other option, as good quality forage is hard to find to buy and todays grass will be marginally better than much of last years silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Totally agree , mixed grazing does it the power of good.
    The grass grows much thicker and a tighter sod when sheep have nipped it down after cattle in the winter .
    They also have no problem eating close to heaps of dung where the cattle always avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Looking for a supplier of the plastic cap ends you put into box iron.

cant seem to find anywhere in ireland and only need 1 dozen of one size and 1 dozen of a second size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

cant seem to find anywhere in ireland and only need 1 dozen of one size and 1 dozen of a second size.

Local steel supplier can get them for round pipe as only got a few a month ago, not sure about box.

Have you tried ebay - you never know!

nashmach wrote: »
    Local steel supplier can get them for round pipe as only got a few a month ago, not sure about box.

Have you tried ebay - you never know!

I was getting a bespoke job done by a local welder> i think he buys off irish steel.

The sizes are

12no 55mm outside, 45mm inside box iron

12no 85mm outside, 75mm inside box iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Years ago, I go them for a work project, from this company, CAPCO in the UK.
    http://www.mocap.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Totally agree , mixed grazing does it the power of good.
    The grass grows much thicker and a tighter sod when sheep have nipped it down after cattle in the winter .
    They also have no problem eating close to heaps of dung where the cattle always avoid.

Every grass farmer should have a batch of lambs from harvest till now. A tight bare pasture is a great start in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

pakalasa wrote: »

they even left a spare of regs plates in the NH for the thief. "Believed to be transported by lorry", I reckon these guy should join Irelands elite garda force with such a line

http://www.mocap.co.uk/[/QUOTE]

mocap only sell to end users in batchs of 250 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

http://www.mocap.co.uk/

Modern plant naas road dublin

blue5000 wrote: »
    we have real heavy land cows wont be out til end of february at the earliest, have 20 acres where sheep didnt graze

dzer2 wrote: »
    Modern plant naas road dublin

Got sorted with Sealtec in longford. Cheers for suggestions.

Thats it. Calf shed is done . Finally :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Got sorted with Sealtec in longford. Cheers for suggestions.

Thats it. Calf shed is done . Finally :D

Don't be shy with the photos now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Irish international trading in cork:

http://www.iitc.ie/

The great thing about them is they're a wholesaler too, so if you want something they sell, but dont live local they can probably tell you who they sell them to near you, most co-ops buy some stuff from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

we have real heavy land cows wont be out til end of february at the earliest, have 20 acres where sheep didnt graze

thats good going whelan, you should come down here i will show you heavy ground ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Every grass farmer should have a batch of lambs from harvest till now. A tight bare pasture is a great start in the new year.

Nice in theory but there is extra work and costly fencing involved

thats good going whelan, you should come down here i will show you heavy ground ;)
    And here, turnout in February is fairy tale stuff :)

just do it wrote: »
    And here, turnout in February is fairy tale stuff :)
    well last year it was 28th february, earliest cows where out here ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

At the risk of repeating myself....did you try Kilbeggan Roofing and Steel, I got them there before Christmas for my sheep tunnel

Nice in theory but there is extra work and costly fencing involved

If you are sheep farming, you need proper (read expensive) fencing.

If you just want to hold sheep to graze a place, once a year, I would say two strands of electric wire would do the job, if they're used to it...

So there you go - simple as that... as your name suggests, all you have to do now is "just do it" ;):D

If you are sheep farming, you need proper (read expensive) fencing.

If you just want to hold sheep to graze a place, once a year, I would say two strands of electric wire would do the job, if they're used to it...

So there you go - simple as that... as your name suggests, all you have to do now is "just do it" ;):D

as the saying goes "if you want angry neighbors, get sheep"

• Advertisement

as the saying goes "if you want angry neighbors, get sheep"

he he - I heard it in a nicer way "if you want to get to know your neighbours, get sheep"

;)

he he - I heard it in a nicer way "if you want to get to know your neighbours, get sheep"

;)

Either way we had 320 of the b***ards in last Thurs. Got to know that neighbour fairly fast.

the bit of exercise will do them the power of good.

Cows I suppose are different and will me able to get more out of that type of grass. hopefully everyone gets their cows out as it would free up allot of grub for the rest of us:D

Yup it's more than the feed value. Just took 3kg silage DM out of the ration. It wouldn't be worth putting them out for less. Takes pressure of the housing as well. The grass is hardly as good as the silage no doubt but it takes a bit of pressure off feed stocks after the early winter also. The paddocks they're going on are v.dry also to the extent that I've seen maize crops suffer from lack of water in May. That was '97 and it ended up being a year you could compare 2012 to. Beware the early, good Spring.

war around here today, confirmation was to be 5th february... got a note home today that its changed to 21st february... we will be in spain then:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

war around here today, confirmation was to be 5th february... got a note home today that its changed to 21st february... we will be in spain then:mad::mad::mad::mad:

disaster

• Advertisement

Rich farmers going on holidays:P

dzer2 wrote: »
    Rich farmers going on holidays:P
    for 4 days, flights booked since last august! i didnt book until we knew the date of the confirmation:rolleyes:

Is that not a normal school day? ;)

for 4 days, flights booked since last august! i didnt book until we knew the date of the confirmation:rolleyes:

Has to be done going to Austria nest week for 5 days skiing with the clan booked it before christmas and gave it as a pressie to herself

Half term I think

well kids are allowed miss 20 days per year, after all eldest lad has had a ****e time with bullies and 4 days 1 of them the weeked wont kill anyone... dont know what to do now:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

New series on Channel 4 "First time Farmers"

bbam wrote: »
    Feckin had to come home from work with sore back. So bad I can hardly drive.
    Back pain, sciatic pain and knumbness/ pins and needles in foot. I know it'll pass but not without a few days of torture and sitting round.

How's the back Bbam? Hope things are improving...

well kids are allowed miss 20 days per year, after all eldest lad has had a ****e time with bullies and 4 days 1 of them the weeked wont kill anyone... dont know what to do now:confused:

It's a bit s*** alright. Anyone else in the school caught out? Could he make it with another school? In reality you'll probably have to cancel the holiday. Any chance you could change it for another time without losing out too much on it?

Either way we had 320 of the b***ards in last Thurs. Got to know that neighbour fairly fast.

friend of mine who would be a bit of a character as they say, went to answer a knock on the door one evening only to be met with an irate neighbor who said that there was 300 of his ewes after breaking in, my mates reply was "I wonder where the other 100 are", needless to say the neighbor nearly blew a gasket

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement