Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

years ago when i was milking 2 herds morning and evening a mile apart i was nearly ditched by a heifer running out in front of me from a neighbouring farm.. i rang the door bell to tell them and the farmers wife said to me "ok, would you like a kitten!":eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Irish international trading in cork:

http://www.iitc.ie/

The great thing about them is they're a wholesaler too, so if you want something they sell, but dont live local they can probably tell you who they sell them to near you, most co-ops buy some stuff from them.

never heard of them before, just looking on there site they have all kinds of stuff, was looking at silage covers - would they sell a pallet to a normal joe soap? its one product I spend allot on each year and they are a serious price now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

hoseman wrote: »
    New series on Channel 4 "First time Farmers"

Sorry only after seeing your post. Was very good wasn't it?

Looking for a supplier of the plastic cap ends you put into box iron.

cant seem to find anywhere in ireland and only need 1 dozen of one size and 1 dozen of a second size.

Sorry Iakill only after spotting your post now.

I got some in Tripart, Tuam rd, Galway there last year ;)

http://www.tripart.ie/

Can't find them on the site, but they have them in the shop. Give them a ring ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

never heard of them before, just looking on there site they have all kinds of stuff, was looking at silage covers - would they sell a pallet to a normal joe soap? its one product I spend allot on each year and they are a serious price now

I dealt with them a bit in another time. You'd be amazed at how poor the markup on some stuff is. The smaller it is the higher the markup, I wouldn't mind betting it'd hardly be worth your while on the pallet of plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Muckit wrote: »
    Sorry only after seeing your post. Was very good wasn't it?
    It was different,They seemed to be down to earth young people,hope the son with the pigs get on well ,enjoyable to watch,best of luck to all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAZwbCFTlQ

Radical and genius ....... or plain mad.... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

farmerjack wrote: »
    Calving down 30 heifers starting in about 10 days, will probably buy an extra 20/25 calved heifers/young cows in march. Milking platform capable of probably milking 140 cows comfortably so the option is there, I will probably drive on to 100 cows in the short term.

have you much quota got??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How's the back Bbam? Hope things are improving...

Getting better alright. Hobbled into work yesterday but I was a desk jockey all day. Makes you feel a bit useless sitting round "resting" all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

case 956 wrote: »

have you much quota got??

250000 litres approx, bought some and got some as a category b new entrant, when I say short term i mean I will probably gear up the 100 cows for 2015, see how things pan out and make any decision on whether to increase further from there.

whelan1 wrote: »
    well kids are allowed miss 20 days per year, after all eldest lad has had a ****e time with bullies and 4 days 1 of them the weeked wont kill anyone... dont know what to do now:confused:

And did they give a reason for the change. I'd also say they have little sympathy as its a school day anyway.
    See if you can transfer the dates or even transfer the names. If the names are transferable you might be able to sell it on DD.

bbam wrote: »
    And did they give a reason for the change. I'd also say they have little sympathy as its a school day anyway.
    See if you can transfer the dates or even transfer the names. If the names are transferable you might be able to sell it on DD.
    the bishops have a week of meetings and our local bishop is ill:cool: looked at changing dates 307 euro just to come home a day earlier, or 450 to change the dates completely:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

farmerjack wrote: »
    250000 litres approx, bought some and got some as a category b new entrant, when I say short term i mean I will probably gear up the 100 cows for 2015, see how things pan out and make any decision on whether to increase further from there.

Good to see new entrants being facilitated, I see no future for drystock farming unless on a big scale and even dairying at 100 cows will be tight,
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

getting itchy feet to go back milking,the break was grand but not calving until 2 nd week of feb and raring to go already:).no offers by the way not that desparate

rancher wrote: »
    Good to see new entrants being facilitated, I see no future for drystock farming unless on a big scale and even dairying at 100 cows will be tight,
    Best of luck

heard of a local that sold his quota 3 yrs ago for 80k, son now has landed to take over the mantra and after picking up free quota. these boys were thinking as they kept the best of the heifer calves from before they got out of milking. nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

keep going wrote: »
    getting itchy feet to go back milking,the break was grand but not calving until 2 nd week of feb and raring to go already:).no offers by the way not that desparate

Awwe I was just about to ask ha there ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

pakalasa wrote: »

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/4404693

I dealt with that man. 100% genuine chap.
    A good chance these came south.
    Wouldn't it be mighty to catch the lowlife responsible for these thefts, reward or not.

first "planned " calf of the year just born, an lkx calf, alive andwell dont know if its a bull or heifer yet, but was out half an hour ago and there was no sign of her calving and it was there when i looked out 5 minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

seen cows were stolen in monaghan too. Definately corporal punishment for thieves, they are without question one of the lowest form scum out there. I have been robbed a couple of times and the cops know who robbed me once and cant do anything about it and they got other boys and got 4 months in jail after robbing over 20k worth of goods and no i didnt get my stuff back.

seems to be part and parcel of where we live, was away for a while today-at a kids party- when i came back husband said he came in to house to find a flyer for a taramacadam crowd on the kitchen table:eek: now ok key was in the door as he was in the yard but they where cheeky feckers to actually leave it on the table

• Advertisement

Lot of agri diesel and heating oil been taken around here,Stopped buying agri diesel
    now go direct to supplier,a pain,but at least it's one less thing to rob from me.

seems to be part and parcel of where we live, was away for a while today-at a kids party- when i came back husband said he came in to house to find a flyer for a taramacadam crowd on the kitchen table:eek: now ok key was in the door as he was in the yard but they where cheeky feckers to actually leave it on the table
    Handy way to have a little look around!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

We had diesel robbed aswell so we decided to get rid of the tank but first any used oil or dirty diesel was put into the tank and topped up with water, sure enough a week later it was emptied so hopefully we got some form of payback on em if the put it into sumptin

Hard frost here last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

They wer eonly the scouts
    be extra vigilant for next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

milkprofit wrote: »
    They wer eonly the scouts
    be extra vigilant for next few weeks

+1

you have already posted on a open forum when you have confirmation and plan on going on holiday,

you would be surprised where thieves get their info.

jomoloney wrote: »
    +1

you have already posted on a open forum when you have confirmation and plan on going on holiday,

you would be surprised where thieves get their info.
    we're not going now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

tkehoe wrote: »
    thats one possibility anyway, whta about enniscorthy? dungarvan? carrick on suir? cant think of anymore i know of in the area
    well were you in ross, was there enough cows for you?

leg wax wrote: »
    what where prices like?

snowing here now:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

snowing here now:eek:

Ditto- Co. Kildare.
    Not sticking though.
    Temperature 1 degree (and falling :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

We banded a few outlyers yesterday. first time doing it would you reckon they are better out or in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

We were working up your country last year and had tractor stole and batteries and disel took of all machines. It's bad up that way

Dupont wrote: »
    We were working up your country last year and had tractor stole and batteries and disel took of all machines. It's bad up that way
    yup, unreal a few weeks ago a few of the neighbours where broken in to around 6am on a saturday morning, now i would be out and about at that time, i magine going out your door and being confronted by scumbags:eek:... anyways one of the neighbours is a kickboxing champ and caught one of the lads- he looked after him til the guards arrived:o

yup, unreal a few weeks ago a few of the neighbours where broken in to around 6am on a saturday morning, now i would be out and about at that time, i magine going out your door and being confronted by scumbags:eek:... anyways one of the neighbours is a kickboxing champ and caught one of the lads- he looked after him til the guards arrived:o

Ha.
    I'm presuming "looked after him" didn't include tea and biscuits. ;)

Proper order for the robbers only thing is they will be back at it. Scum

Whelan was using topsoil from near strabannon and it was just like sand unbelievable.even when digging down 3metres deep and never hit channell all real loose sandy stoney soil. Not like the stoney clumpy wet grey clay of Monaghan.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4408490

I'm assuming thats for the 4 of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I wouldn't like to have you knocking on my gate intent on bargaining with me for my heifers :D

They are nice heifers. I bought heifers 3 months ago at Eur1500. They have gone up in price a bit since then - maybe not to Eur 2200, but up a bit from 1500 anyway.

• Advertisement

1500 more than enough for them if not too much, I have similar bunch here I would like rid off, nice big quite charalois heifers didnt bother looking for a buyer as I taught there would be no interest.

Yeah and probably get a luck penney as well !!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tkehoe

leg wax wrote: »

hi leg wax,
    didnt get a chance,had to get slurry out when i had a chance,will be there next sat all going well:)
    anyone there? many there? what were they going like? tried to ring them but i got through to some woman giving out about that im the 5th person ringing in relation to the mart :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

reilig wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to have you knocking on my gate intent on bargaining with me for my heifers :D

They are nice heifers. I bought heifers 3 months ago at Eur1500. They have gone up in price a bit since then - maybe not to Eur 2200, but up a bit from 1500 anyway.

A buddy of mine gave E4000 for two incalves.
    first one calved had a pi calve hard to take that.

1500 more than enough for them if not too much, I have similar bunch here I would like rid off, nice big quite charalois heifers didnt bother looking for a buyer as I taught there would be no interest.

Well theres always an odd one making a big price but, one with the other, yeah 1500 is plenty.
    Here in the NW you will get an increase in interest as the spring progresses (weather permitting!).

caseman wrote: »

bet he wont be buying unless tested for BVD in the future, a sure if she is a good heifer she will come into 1500 on the hook so all is not lost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

caseman wrote: »

That's a tough one allright. Just shows that this BVD scheme is badly needed.

r.i.p paddy o keeffe.. always found his column interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

r.i.p paddy o keeffe.. always found his column interesting

Has he passed away? He got married recently again, fair play to him. In his last column he mentioned having to attend the Blackrock clinic for what sounded like a routine nosebleed.

MfMan wrote: »
    Has he passed away? He got married recently again, fair play to him. In his last column he mentioned having to attend the Blackrock clinic for what sounded like a routine nosebleed.
    died in his sleep yesterday...

reilig wrote: »
    That's a tough one allright. Just shows that this BVD scheme is badly needed.
    but just because the calf came back a pi doesnt mean the dam is too.... what way does this work now? will previous owner compensate?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement