Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Just a quick qestion to ye,"What would ye expect to pay per hour for a man with a tractor and post driver(post driver is heavy duty).
    Farmer to supply all fencing materials.Sorry if this has already been posted,one of my new years resoloutions is to be more active here,not to be hurling from the side line!!!
    thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No idea per hour. But I'd usually agree a price per metre run before hand. Last time it was around 1.20e per m for 1 strand of hi-tensile. Normally I'd supply all the materials separately.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

hoseman wrote: »
    Just a quick qestion to ye,"What would ye expect to pay per hour for a man with a tractor and post driver(post driver is heavy duty).
    Farmer to supply all fencing materials.Sorry if this has already been posted,one of my new years resoloutions is to be more active here,not to be hurling from the side line!!!
    thanks

I paid a lad around 20 an hour with a minimum price of 100 to make it worth his while. about 18 months ago. In fairness you would put up a lot of stakes in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

sea12 wrote: »
    I paid a lad around 20 an hour with a minimum price of 100 to make it worth his while. about 18 months ago. In fairness you would put up a lot of stakes in a few hours.

40e an hour round these parts. In fairness with right conditions you could drive a lot of posts in that time if set up right. Paid me better to get the lad with the track machine last time, had him doing a few other bits as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

thanks
    last time we paid someone forthat job he charged 1 europer stake with a bit off because they were all laid out and he could do it real quick. have my own now and would charge 45 per hour including vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You have to laugh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

pakalasa wrote: »
    You have to laugh !
    236342.jpg
    Wasn't there a similar campaign to encourage cycling by the elderly?:
    236350.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

thanks

35euro / hr here.

Thanks for the quick replies,now I have a guide price to work off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Where is best place to get rubber mats, do they come in diff sizes, want one for bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

sea12 wrote: »
    did he arrive with a mallet on his shoulder cause if he brought a tractor and post driver to a job for 20 euro an hour he would want a good kick up the asre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

charityboy wrote: »
    did he arrive with a mallet on his shoulder cause if he brought a tractor and post driver to a job for 20 euro an hour he would want a good kick up the asre

Id tell him he was a great lad and ask him if he does any other work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

hugo29 wrote: »
    Where is best place to get rubber mats, do they come in diff sizes, want one for bull

http://www.easyfix.ie/ We got ours here. They come in several different sizes to match the slat dimensions. Solid rubber mats are supplied to cover lie back areas etc. I think they were 6'x4'.

Your bull wont know himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Alfco trim have a good selection of mats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

whats the going rate (cash in hand) for a lad coming on farm for a few hours per day for the next few weeks of calving .... just a local lad working between school drop off/pick ups .
    i dont want appear too stingy ... :D cheers

whats the going rate (cash in hand) for a lad coming on farm for a few hours per day for the next few weeks of calving .... just a local lad working between school drop off/pick ups .
    i dont want appear too stingy ... :D cheers
    €8/hr??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

td5man wrote: »
    €8/hr??

would you do it for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dzer2 wrote: »
    would you do it for that?
    was thinking more like 10 euro myself , if you want to keep the person

Last time i worked in dublin that was what i was taking home. :(
    I thought the op said it was for a lad after school, someone that can work on their own initiative would be worth €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

td5man wrote: »
    Last time i worked in dublin that was what i was taking home. :(
    I thought the op said it was for a lad after school, someone that can work on their own initiative would be worth €10.
    Yeah it sounded a bit like that. Although reading it again it's a father who is available between dropping off the kids and collecting them. Unfortunately there is alot of them out there these days.

Agree €10/hr. It would be a huge help to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Most co-ops have them at around €50. I've them on half the floor of the calving pen and they save on straw and labour.

whelan1 wrote: »
    was thinking more like 10 euro myself , if you want to keep the person

I give the chap that does a bit for me 12.50 an hour

dzer2 wrote: »
    I give the chap that does a bit for me 12.50 an hour
    is that before tax or after:D

is that before tax or after:D

Johnny

we had a thread on this last year or the year before couldnt find it... i had homemade burgers, homemade chips(done in the oven) and beans:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

just waiting on a tesco chicken tikka microwave meal. €2.25 on special offer and is both tasty and contains actual chicken.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

we had a thread on this last year or the year before couldnt find it... i had homemade burgers, homemade chips(done in the oven) and beans:p

Here's the thread:cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70535608

I see you had beef stew almost 2 years ago......

Still waiting on mine, spag bol.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

a moment on the lips a life time on the hips:D

haha, all slimming world food.... going to eddie rockets for my tea so boldness will set in:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

oh bob the thought of those hips on whelan :):) you have me going now:D:D, go on whelan give us a peek:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Would anyone outhere have a slurry propeller agitator for sale, the bigger the better. We need to stil a lagoon at most 3 times a year so second hnd is what we are looking for

Any body get a chance to see Eco eye to night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Any body get a chance to see Eco eye to night?
    I saw a bit of it inbetween feeding kids . Duncan used to milk two kerry cows by hand when he was a young lad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

delaval wrote: »
    Would anyone outhere have a slurry propeller agitator for sale, the bigger the better. We need to stil a lagoon at most 3 times a year so second hnd is what we are looking for

I'll give ya a tenner more than delaval for it:D

I'll give ya a tenner more than delaval for it:D
    Hey freedom were you at the burgers again?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

so horse burgers are they nice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

naughto wrote: »
    so horse burgers are they nice??

NEIGH they give ya galloping knob rot, bad news next time ur in the saddle:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

charityboy wrote: »

Ah it was a cash job. Know the fellow and was doing it as a favour to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

mf240 wrote: »
    NEIGH they give ya galloping knob rot, bad news next time ur in the saddle:D

Your full off them tonite 240:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Has everyone been too busy today to post:confused:

Just back from foddering with Dad and another cow broke on us, she will be waiting until march for Mr A.I. Just another one of the few that were affected by the bad summer I'm afraid.

In other news, I had to laugh when I heard the owner of both factories that are in question but wither he will be investigated will be another story:P

As for my tea (dinner, I like my food late) I shall post in the ancient thread that reopened!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Has everyone been too busy today to post:confused:

Just back from foddering with Dad and another cow broke on us, she will be waiting until march for Mr A.I. Just another one of the few that were affected by the bad summer I'm afraid.

In other news, I had to laugh when I heard the owner of both factories that are in question but wither he will be investigated will be another story:P

As for my tea (dinner, I like my food late) I shall post in the ancient thread that reopened!
    I hope your not having burgers Karen :P

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

I have one if you are interested. send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stand on!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oPGmh6kaUI

pat shortts take on things

Does anyone use a timer on the cow paddock gap during grazing season?
    Are they worthwhile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Does anyone use a timer on the cow paddock gap during grazing season?
    Are they worthwhile?

A what???:confused:

Tipp Man wrote: »
    A what???:confused:
    Its a spring loader gap with a timer that you can set to allow cows start walking to parlour in am before you get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No colder spot you'I ever stand in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Standard attire :D

He missed the ash plant or piece of wavin pipe :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've just been kicked out of my bed by a cat. Literally. So I'm getting all my booted and suited gear ready for a night on the couch.
    In other words, mountaineering gear out of storage and air it so I can sleep in the cattle shed for 5 weeks :D

And people wonder why I'm single:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement