Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i dont recomend 2cc of penstrep and it wouldnt work a treat,(just in case lost covey is reading this);)apparently it slows down the stomach for a while .works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

stanflt wrote: »
    had a calf with bad bloat today- vet left a ventilation contraption in her

Hi there im just wondering does bloat come on thr calf quickly or can they bloat over time, ive fed a few bucket calves this year for the first time, and they got everything in the same amounts and now one is well swollen around the belly and doesnt seem to go up or down, dad reckons some of them will just have a belly like this but im not too sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

keep going wrote: »
    i dont recomend 2cc of penstrep and it wouldnt work a treat,(just in case lost covey is reading this);)apparently it slows down the stomach for a while .works for me
    do you put the pen strp in to the trochar canula thingy straight in to the stomach?

weefarmer wrote: »
    Hi there im just wondering does bloat come on thr calf quickly or can they bloat over time, ive fed a few bucket calves this year for the first time, and they got everything in the same amounts and now one is well swollen around the belly and doesnt seem to go up or down, dad reckons some of them will just have a belly like this but im not too sure!
    i had 2 this year and both are now deceased:rolleyes: it comes on suddenly , what you are talking about could possibly be an infection through the navel, had one last year with that also... we fattened it up and factory'd it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

just inject into the neck,most antibiotics have an affect on the bacteria in the stomach.could be right about navel ill,i had one and a neighbour had one and both died.just slowly bloated but didnt have any gas

Ok thanks a lot, I think ill get the vet today, or neighbour first, he's as gud as a vet. Rather be safe than sorry

[/QUOTE]
    i had 2 this year and both are now deceased:rolleyes: it comes on suddenly , what you are talking about could possibly be an infection through the navel, had one last year with that also... we fattened it up and factory'd it[/Quote]

Forgot to say these were birn in march, would she still get a naval infection now or would it have been there since birth, she's equally round and not just one side, ill try put a picture up later

i had 2 this year and both are now deceased:rolleyes: it comes on suddenly , what you are talking about could possibly be an infection through the navel, had one last year with that also... we fattened it up and factory'd it[/Quote]

Forgot to say these were birn in march, would she still get a naval infection now or would it have been there since birth, she's equally round and not just one side, ill try put a picture up later[/QUOTE]
    in my one i assume it was there since birth, even though we do all navels with iodine , we must have missed this guy:rolleyes:

a cow crapped in my ear this morning, that was a first;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

whelan1 wrote: »

tbh

i would rather crap than pi$$

am always wary about urine

snowman707 wrote: »
    tbh

true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

tbh

Smells 1000 times worse anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A wicked part of me would love to see that happen to the other half - just for the laugh:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

tbh

Why more wary bout urine? And i know the feeling Whelan1, had a cow calving bout 2 years ago, difficult birth so i was pulling the calf, next thing as the cow forced she also **** and she fired it back up on my head. And i mean a **** load of it too, had the calfs head just out so couldnt stop pulling, had to keep pulling as it rolled down my face and down my back. Not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

barryoc1 wrote: »
    Why more wary bout urine?.
    lepto:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

saved the barley straw today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

where are u based with that lovely blue sky?

sea12 wrote: »
    where are u based with that lovely blue sky?

co meath about 7km from the coast

was a fantastic day here yesterday, dull in the morning but really nice from mid day on... heading to donegal feo a few days later hope the weather stays good:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

stanflt wrote: »
    saved the barley straw today

what price will straw be this season or do you sell any?

• Advertisement

what price will straw be this season or do you sell any?

all sold- had only 63for sale at 33in the field

Had my first case of mastitis in 3 months yesterday. Not sure if i am happy that i had only one in the last 3 months or sad that one finally got mastitis:confused:

Then went to check the sheep tupping. My vendeen ram was lying down taking a break after a rough night (he was hard at it the night before when i was putting the dogs to bed;)) so i went over to wake him and check his condition. Stone cold dead:mad:. So off to cork for the day to pick up a replacement. Got a 4 star ram lamb for 500 , better maternal than my old guy but only 1 star for finishing so not sure if he is better or worse than what he is replacing:confused:.

Typical august bank holiday weekend really:)

lovely day here , lads drawing in silage, have a few autumn calvers springing up nicely, milk will be welcome in the tank as it has slid a bit recently, any one know what good br/fr bull calves are making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

:)[/QUOTE]Got a 4 star ram lamb for 500 , better maternal than my old guy but only 1 star for finishing so not sure if he is better or worse than what he is replacing:confused:.

Typical august bank holiday weekend really:)[/QUOTE]
    Much more important to be 5 star finishing, progeny wil be slower growing than you'd like, especially at one star.

rancher wrote: »
    :)
    Got a 4 star ram lamb for 500 , better maternal than my old guy but only 1 star for finishing so not sure if he is better or worse than what he is replacing:confused:.

Typical august bank holiday weekend really:)[/QUOTE]
    Much more important to be 5 star finishing, progeny wil be slower growing than you'd like, especially at one star.[/QUOTE]
    But 5 for maternal and 4 for lambing and will be keeping a good few ewe lambs. The 5 star finishers were great to look at but 1 star for lambing and 1 or 2 for maternal. Going to fall between 2 stools whatever one i picked:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Just finished cutting the last meadow, will spend a while walking it now as I saw a few suspicious yellow flowers

was out in the car today and i saw a field that had probably been sprayed with round up there where a good few cattle on it, quick question would the ragworth not be dangerous in a dying state to the cattle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

My home made roofed creep feeder doesn't accommodate all the lambs I'm feeding at the moment. So I put out an ordinary trough I feed the ewes from. But, no, they wouldn't have it. 80% of the feed would be left in the trough after the feeder had been cleaned out, and they're not getting too much.

So day before yesterday I spied two short lengths of big pipe I have laying about. I'll screw the trough to them to life it off the ground. Hey presto, not a speck of ration left in either now. Fussy gits, soon they'll want me cutting grass for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

johngalway wrote: »
    My home made roofed creep feeder doesn't accommodate all the lambs I'm feeding at the moment. So I put out an ordinary trough I feed the ewes from. But, no, they wouldn't have it. 80% of the feed would be left in the trough after the feeder had been cleaned out, and they're not getting too much.

So day before yesterday I spied two short lengths of big pipe I have laying about. I'll screw the trough to them to life it off the ground. Hey presto, not a speck of ration left in either now. Fussy gits, soon they'll want me cutting grass for them.

just be careful of bird droppings

a neighbour had an out break of coccidiosis earlier this year losing about 15 lambs, he reckoned the birds were to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

just be careful of bird droppings

a neighbour had an out break of coccidiosis earlier this year losing about 15 lambs, he reckoned the birds were to blame

Ration doesn't last long enough to draw any birdies :)

Always been wary of over feeding sheep in case of drawing vermin/spoiling ration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

i work in grain stores all day LOADING OUT and them pigeons are worse that rats

Rats of the sky they are:mad::mad::mad:

was out in the car today and i saw a field that had probably been sprayed with round up there where a good few cattle on it, quick question would the ragworth not be dangerous in a dying state to the cattle?
    I think its at its most dangerous when it is dying. I saw a lad cutting hay last week and there was more ragworth than grass in it. Hopefully cattle getting it arent hungry this winter:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

5live wrote: »
    I think its at its most dangerous when it is dying. I saw a lad cutting hay last week and there was more ragworth than grass in it. Hopefully cattle getting it arent hungry this winter:mad:

Apparently cattle are very unlikely to eat dried ragworth so it is not too much of a threat in hay - apparently

Wouldn't be buying that hay though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

My understanding of cattle eating ragwort is that when it's dried, like in hay its not palatable, and they will leave it behind, but when it's wilted, say after being topped and lying around a few days, it is more palatable.

When hunger is a factor all bets are off!

ye but this is different i know from my research that they will not eat it in hay as it is dried as was said , what about after being sprayed with round up... if it was in baled silage or pit silage they would eat it also as it has been preserved and is palatable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

It would be my opinion that cattle would eat ragwort as it was wilted from roundup. Particularly if hungry. They seem to like grass that has a wilt on it from roundup. It makes strange but good silage. Come to think of it, it would be more like haylage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

The majority of cattle wont touch the stuff either way but then you get one or two who will eat it and then you have a pine-er or else its off to the knackery
    I definitely wouldn't be buying hay with it in it

Duck appeared on the street today with 5 ducklings :D nice to see as we thought the fox had taken her!!

Reading in journal yesterday about the new rules on drainage and land use. OMG:eek:. John Gormless and the Greens really left us in the s**t. Looks like he spent all his time opposing the incinerator in his own back yard and stopping deer hunting instead of doing his job and getting some faintly realistic proposals on land use.

A pox on you johnny boy:mad:. I may have to not vote green again;)

• Advertisement

first calf born this morning a british friesian heifer , all well, up now drinking cow:)

Kerry to match leading milk price:cool:

Just a strong rumour yet but should be a good thing for as long as the deal lasts. But the devil is in the detail so we will have to wait and see:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

with all signs leading to a double dip global rescession , i fear both dairy and beef prices might be due a correction

irishh_bob wrote: »
    with all signs leading to a double dip global rescession , i fear both dairy and beef prices might be due a correction
    Correction up or correction down?:p

Looks like china has the ball in its court to decide what to do. They need growth to stay on track to keep the natives calm, just like here or the US

Correction up or correction down?:p

Looks like china has the ball in its court to decide what to do. They need growth to stay on track to keep the natives calm, just like here or the US

what is the most important source of chinas growth ?

trade with the usa , if the usa goes into rescession , china will suffer like everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

How much extra do u get for winter milk

• Advertisement

milkprofit wrote: »
    How much extra do u get for winter milk
    In kerry nothing if it is me the question was for. Strictly march to october is the target

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yupyupyup

whats beef makin this week lads?? ive 4 bullocks to kill. i hear about 3.60

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

irishh_bob wrote: »
    what is the most important source of chinas growth ?

trade with the usa , if the usa goes into rescession , china will suffer like everyone else

I think there is a roundabout going on there between China and USA, China keeps lending money to USA to buy more and more cheap products from China. When the stuff wears out it is sent back to China to be re-cycled into more cheap products. China lends more money........

I think we are getting closer to the day when the sh1t hits the fan:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think there is a roundabout going on there between China and USA, China keeps lending money to USA to buy more and more cheap products from China. When the stuff wears out it is sent back to China to be re-cycled into more cheap products. China lends more money........

I think we are getting closer to the day when the sh1t hits the fan:eek:
    Hit the nail on the head there i'd say. There is too much debt out there and state debt isnt being paid off or just very very slowly while waiting for inflation to make it worthless and just pay 5% or so in interest for 40 years. Now cash is king and very few people or states have it.

But dont worry. The closed period for slurry spreading is only a few weeks away blue so no sh1t can be spread especially near fans;)

Hit the nail on the head there i'd say. There is too much debt out there and state debt isnt being paid off or just very very slowly while waiting for inflation to make it worthless and just pay 5% or so in interest for 40 years. Now cash is king and very few people or states have it.

But dont worry. The closed period for slurry spreading is only a few weeks away blue so no sh1t can be spread especially near fans;)

cash is king :eek:

cash ( especially in america ) is being undermined all the time with relentless goverment money printing , europe will soon follow suit , unless they print a load of money , the likes of italy will go under and the euro will collapse , the only thing keeping the euro strong right now is china who dont want the dollar to be the only global currency , if i had money right now , id have it in gold

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement