Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good luck with that redzer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If anyone needs to stay awake for a cow calving, reading this may help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

snowing heavy here now and sticking:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Blizzard here all afternoon..
    About 10-15CM of snow on the ground..
    Twould cut the face of ya..

All foddering done and stove hopping :)

Phone line came down with the weight of snow on it and ESB was out for an hour too...

Just love the snow.. :D:D

bbam wrote: »
    Blizzard here all afternoon..
    About 10-15CM of snow on the ground..
    Twould cut the face of ya..

All foddering done and stove hopping :)

Phone line came down with the weight of snow on it and ESB was out for an hour too...

Just love the snow.. :D:D

Power gone again.
    Early bed so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

How do I stop Boards sending an email each time there is a post in thread I'm following?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

delaval wrote: »
    How do I stop Boards sending an email each time there is a post in thread I'm following?

At the bottom of the thread - beside all the page numbers - is a button called "Unfollow Thread"

That should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Managed to get the inside sidewall cut on the feeder tyre, Plugged it as I only have to go about 5miles with a load. no chance, whipped it off and 'new' one back on. Its lashing and I have a long night ahead for my sins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I thought it was 300. Ours spiked from 170 to 470 over a couple of colections no sign of mastits. Then we spotted a fairly severe mortellaro infection treated it for 3 days and footbathed a couple of times, problem treated and second collection cell count back down to 150.
    Was that due to just one cow with mortellaro infection? Just shows how close to sterile milk is now being collected at considering she hadn't mastitis and you've the dilution effect of the other cows milk (although you mightn't have that many milking at the mo).

• Advertisement

Awful rain here last night too. Have a Burren Life inspection now, I hope all my work was up to scratch for them.

Good luck with the inspection, although it's probably finished now. I presume it went well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I dont, but find i constantly am, keeps the crows at bay feeding at night

looks like you'll deffo be feeding the cows after 9 tonite bob ;)

was watching a cow to calve all evening- calving shed is just across yard from house... went out about half an hour ago and the calf was coming backwards:eek::eek: brought her over to crush, with snow pelting down.... now its bad enough when a fr calf is coming backwards but to be faced with the arse of a blue is not my idea of fun on a friday night, anyways slow and steady i got him out alive and well... so having a glass of wine now ... cheers, he's an akh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ouch, go treat yourself to calving gate/headlock inside in the calving shed!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ouch, go treat yourself to calving gate/headlock inside in the calving shed!
    have a calving gate in a shed that we dont use for calving anymore:rolleyes: must move it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

just do it wrote: »
    Was that due to just one cow with mortellaro infection? Just shows how close to sterile milk is now being collected at considering she hadn't mastitis and you've the dilution effect of the other cows milk (although you mightn't have that many milking at the mo).

Three or four had it fairly bad and the rest of them were showing signs of it. Washed hooves and treated with linco then copper footbath. Need a kick in the hole for not spotting it sooner, only excuse is it blew up over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Good luck with the inspection, although it's probably finished now. I presume it went well?

Ya, everything was in order for them and I have got the go ahead to start the work for 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Had to drive to dublin yesterday, young lad has hospital appointment, left home to light snow, got to midlands and the snow was unreal, then dublin to a cold wet day, it was lashing up there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

checked stock this moring and have about 5 acres of a lake in one field. outwintered stock looking misrible in these conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i had cows out until today, def putting up another shed this year. never again am i outwintering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Hello new to this enjoy reading posts find it very helpful will attempt to join in threads if i have anything useful to post

• Advertisement

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Hello new to this enjoy reading posts find it very helpful will attempt to join in threads if i have anything useful to post
    welcome to farming and forestry :D

another cow calved there now was very surprised to see she had a red and white friesian heifer, all my cows are black and white apart from 1 i bought in... calf out of hmy

kevthegaff wrote: »
    i had cows out until today, def putting up another shed this year. never again am i outwintering

I kept 10 or a dozen cows on a 20 acre stubble close to the yard before Christmas trying to keep pressure off housing big mistake. Everything a lot easier once they were housed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Welcome indeed, we're a friendly bunch :D

Also...very apt username for today's flooding:pac:

whelan1 wrote: »
    another cow calved there now was very surprised to see she had a red and white friesian heifer, all my cows are black and white apart from 1 i bought in... calf out of hmy

Genetic throwback. We were often tempted to use a bit of red and white but the bulls were never quite good enough.

I kept 10 or a dozen cows on a 20 acre stubble close to the yard before Christmas trying to keep pressure off housing big mistake. Everything a lot easier once they were housed.

Outwintering heavy animals will always come back to bite you in the ass especially if its productive land there are on, always lose on grain yield off out wintered stubbles
    kevthegaff wrote: »

Aslong as you's learn your lessons. cheap in the short run maybe, get a pig of a year like this year and its a joke and much costing excerise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

40 spring calvers thru the crush this morn done them with rotavec,lepto,and dose.watch ruby now for the day in front of the stove.

leg wax wrote: »
    40 spring calvers thru the crush this morn done them with rotavec,lepto,and dose.watch ruby now for the day in front of the stove.

some fellows have it queer easy.

Welcome. The more the merrier ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

bob i run the farm,the farm does not run me,except when ...........................................................................:D.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    bob i run the farm,the farm does not run me,except when ...........................................................................:D.

That works fine in theory......

Where's theory?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

How many times a day do you log on here? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

First cow calved during the week twin heifers out of our best ebi cow not a bad start for the year. have 60 to calve in February having operation on shoulder week on Wednesday week going to be a busy month.

First cow calved during the week twin heifers out of our best ebi cow not a bad start for the year. have 60 to calve in February having operation on shoulder week on Wednesday week going to be a busy month.

Is that the shoulder reconstruction job? If it is someone else is going to be busy calving;)

Jeez you picked your time to have surgery! Make sure you obey the rest period and physio or else you may as well not get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Jeez you picked your time to have surgery! Make sure you obey the rest period and physio or else you may as well not get it done.

Don't worry I wont be back in work till I have been given the all clear farm relief already booked and the auld lad is still fairly active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Anyone using txu from eurogene?

I thought it was 300. Ours spiked from 170 to 470 over a couple of colections no sign of mastits. Then we spotted a fairly severe mortellaro infection treated it for 3 days and footbathed a couple of times, problem treated and second collection cell count back down to 150.

Talking about Mortellaro, have afew cows with it at the minute, I just spotted this on Donedeal, anyone used it?: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4377442

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Went down to connemara picking up a load of weanlings today. You really have to admire the way lads that do farm down there can make so much out of what would be considered unreclaimable land up here.
    Had to drive back with lights gone on the trailer, of course i met nearly every squad car on the way back, luckily wasnt pulled in. Got back and found one weanling lying panned out on the floor, exhausted.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Talking about Mortellaro, have afew cows with it at the minute, I just spotted this on Donedeal, anyone used it?: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4377442

If they get as bad as the photo you're in bother. We got a 200g can of lincomycin years ago. A few grammes in washing liquid bottle of water wash the feet with a powerhose and treat each cow. Puts 10 mins on a milking. We footbath regularly also to try to keep on top of it. Once it's in the place you'll get a flare-up at some point most winters.

plenty of snow here and its sticking:eek: had a heifer calved in dry cow cubicle shed , she had twins, all ok a bull and a heifer, only on a sunday morning with a hurty head does that happen

whelan1 wrote: »
    plenty of snow here and its sticking:eek: had a heifer calved in dry cow cubicle shed , she had twins, all ok a bull and a heifer, only on a sunday morning with a hurty head does that happen

Couple of sleet squalls here is all. No bother yet.

We're still getting snow showers here in Cavan and while the roads have cleared now everywhere is a lovely blanket of white. . Thankfully we got our power back on yesterday, needed a new transformer, when the snow brought the wire down it damage the transformer, lucky I was here to help them through the field with the tractor and power box. they weren't too confident the jeep would make it in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

1chippy wrote: »
    Went down to connemara picking up a load of weanlings today. You really have to admire the way lads that do farm down there can make so much out of what would be considered unreclaimable land up here.
    Had to drive back with lights gone on the trailer, of course i met nearly every squad car on the way back, luckily wasnt pulled in. Got back and found one weanling lying panned out on the floor, exhausted.

Chippy, were you in Maam or did you pick them up privately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Was catching up on some old farmers journals and was reading the piece about the Galway family who moved to France. Up to now he had all ch but has bought some ped Lim. He was saying over there that x breeding was not the done thing. We currently have a mix of all breeds. Is there any one running a single breed of suckler cows or is everyone in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

td5man wrote: »
    Anyone using txu from eurogene?

God no he has nothing to offer. Similar to a lot of bad bulls some of the companies are offering

stanflt wrote: »

God no he has nothing to offer. Similar to a lot of bad bulls some of the companies are offering

combined fat and protein of just 8kg, I'd say you'd get more from a goat! Plenty others well over the 200ebi mark, to be honest you can't go too far wrong just by going on ebi alone, bar your on an indoor high yield system and looking for very milky HOs.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Was catching up on some old farmers journals and was reading the piece about the Galway family who moved to France. Up to now he had all ch but has bought some ped Lim. He was saying over there that x breeding was not the done thing. We currently have a mix of all breeds. Is there any one running a single breed of suckler cows or is everyone in the same boat?

This really is the case in France. As you drive through the countryside. My understanding is that Many European countries farms tend to stick to a breed.

Neighbour of ours was keeping all Li cows and bill until recently I say a Ch bull at his yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

stanflt wrote: »
    Thought that myself, he was recommended by someone.
    I have a choice between eurogene and pg, eurogene man is local.

There's probably no other choice than flt stan :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement