Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Cold easterly breeze here all day,stove will be welcome to night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

td5man wrote: »
    Thought that myself, he was recommended by someone.
    I have a choice between eurogene and pg, eurogene man is local.

There's probably no other choice than flt stan :D

You can get straws from any company sent to your local mans flask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Chippy, were you in Maam or did you pick them up privately?
    Picked them up privately out in Clifden. Dont like maam cross at all. the few times i was there, they had nothing only complete screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

1chippy wrote: »
    Picked them up privately out in Clifden. Dont like maam cross at all. the few times i was there, they had nothing only complete screws.
    A neighbour of mine regularly buys weanlings from Connemara, he finds they really fill out after a year on good silage and grass. Good luck with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

How is everyone for tank space, I am within 16 inches of slats and no sign of land to dry out, although today was a good dry day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

hugo29 wrote: »
    How is everyone for tank space, I am within 16 inches of slats and no sign of land to dry out, although today was a good dry day

Just up to slats again now, rain gun will be back in action in next couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

16inchs, lucky you :P! I'm up to the slats now, I'm fairly sure I'll have no choice but to spread afew loads tomorrow or Tue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine regularly buys weanlings from Connemara, he finds they really fill out after a year on good silage and grass. Good luck with them
    Maamcross is packed every monday evening , not much goes unsold back there . The lighter cattle turn around when they hit good grass .

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

not a great start to calfing found a still calf this morning from a heifer she had 3 days with her but the calf was dead mayb a week or 2 the hoofs a very white, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

not a great start to calfing found a still calf this morning from a heifer she had 3 days with her but the calf was dead mayb a week or 2 the hoofs a very white, :rolleyes:

Just hope it's the only loss of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

simx wrote: »
    Just hope it's the only loss of the year

thats for sue :rolleyes: on anothe note how do you guys upload photos on to this.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

1chippy wrote: »

Them's fightin' words:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭nhg

thats for sue :rolleyes: on anothe note how do you guys upload photos on to this.?

Just figured this out myself, through Attach Files/Manage Attachments below in the Additional Options box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Timmaay wrote: »
    16inchs, lucky you :P! I'm up to the slats now, I'm fairly sure I'll have no choice but to spread afew loads tomorrow or Tue.

Same here.
    Will be the weekend and a few loads will need to go somewhere. I've the option to blow it into the open pit, I really don't have a field fit to travel. They're all under 3 inches of frozen snow at the moment so when that melts the ground won't be much firmer than the slurry in the tank :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Lovely dry mild day here, one of the first days this winter where cattle have actually looked content being out, long may it last i say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

First pedigree calf of the year this morning. A bit of a pull, but happy enough with him. First calf off Queenshead Altea. Hopefully he will be lucky - I have another Pedigree cow in calf to him for 6 weeks time.

He was some bull for 52,000gns
    queenshead_altea.jpg

This straw feeding of incalf cows is working out well. No problems calving and calves appear to be pretty hardy. I have only one complaint - the cows on the straw aren't making a big bag of milk before they calve and its very hard to judge them - especially the pedigrees who don't normally make a big bag of milk anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

reilig wrote: »
    First pedigree calf of the year this morning. A bit of a pull, but happy enough with him. First calf off Queenshead Altea.
    I saw a few heifers from him at the Roscrea premier sale recently. All were very nice feminine types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Delighted with cattle on slats this first year with them put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

And the ones that are out are getting a bit of meal are doing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Weanling down since 15.12.12,stood up for afew minutes to day,out look is looking well,Reckon you can't beat abit of polly breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

What a lovely dry frosty night, a week of this and things might improve,

Fcuking bull has figured out how to open gate between slats and creep, went out to feed this evening and found bull lying on slats and 5 cows in the creep,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Fine calf on donedeal by leg wax I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

johnpawl wrote: »
    Fine calf on donedeal by leg wax I see

They are a credit to Leg Wax

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4419600 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Bizzum wrote: »
    and cheap at that price!!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Haha ya they look the job alright!

More of them here http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4448403

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

johnpawl wrote: »
    Haha ya they look the job alright!

More of them here http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4448403[/QUOTE]

Nice Percy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Is there a strong trade for bulls at the moment lads :rolleyes:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4450227

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Is there a strong trade for bulls at the moment lads :rolleyes:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4450227

:eek:, one wonders how hard it is to get a prize in carrig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

:eek:, one wonders how hard it is to get a prize in carrig

The quality of Charolais bulls must be slipping or else he's been starved for the last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

no flies on you lot:D.thanks lads but none of you phoned with money burning a hole in yer pockets.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

leg wax wrote: »
    no flies on you lot:D.thanks lads but none of you phoned with money burning a hole in yer pockets.:confused:

Leg wax put a link up to your latest video, quality stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

leg wax wrote: »
    What do you think of the Parth heifers you have bred so far?
    Will you breed from any of them?

reilig wrote: »
    First pedigree calf of the year this morning. A bit of a pull, but happy enough with him. First calf off Queenshead Altea. Hopefully he will be lucky - I have another Pedigree cow in calf to him for 6 weeks time.

He was some bull for 52,000gns
    queenshead_altea.jpg

This straw feeding of incalf cows is working out well. No problems calving and calves appear to be pretty hardy. I have only one complaint - the cows on the straw aren't making a big bag of milk before they calve and its very hard to judge them - especially the pedigrees who don't normally make a big bag of milk anyway.

If you're sure of your dates you could put a group of springers a week to 10 days from calving together and give them a shake of meal. It'll help keep their energy/blood sugars up for calving and might bring in the milk a bit better. They'd only want to be in the last 10 days before claving or you'll start undoing your good work with the straw diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

pakalasa wrote: »
    What do you think of the Parth heifers you have bred so far?
    Will you breed from any of them?
    i will breed from all 3 of them ,:D, cant wait to see what comes off the bull ,i should have 20 or so parts this spring and i am thinking of going all part if i am happy with them.

Anyone else get an e-mail from "info" re milk quota situation nationally yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Anyone else get an e-mail from "info" re milk quota situation nationally yesterday?
    No?

Feckin snow is still causing bother...
    Sheet of frozen snow came off the roof last night and broke the LNB off the sky dish... Just in the middle of watching a film.. fit to be tied !!!

Thursday they say they'll have someone out to repair the dish !!

-4.5C overnight here.. If we had a month of that sort of frost, followed by dry weather things might change for the better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

no

bbam wrote: »
    Sheet of frozen snow came off the roof last night and broke the LNB off the sky dish... Just in the middle of watching a film.. fit to be tied !!!

-4.5C overnight here.. If we had a month of that sort of frost, followed by dry weather things might change for the better..
    our tv stopped working also, although sky is still working on 1 of the telly's fella was supposed to come yesterday to fix it, i am still waiting.... bought a body warmer in dunnes at the weekend reduced from 40 euro to 15, great job on these mornings, wonder how i got on with out one for so long:)

Bit of a first world problem :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

yes

that's from the icmsa

jomoloney wrote: »
    yes

that's from the icmsa
    what did it say- i know i'm a nosey rosie

mf240 wrote: »
    Bit of a first world problem :D

Hey. What can I say..
    On the back of a weekend with no power, no water, no phone and broadband on the blink. Slatted tank full, three inches of frozen snow everywhere. on a pile of drugs like a junkie in sherrif street for me back. Insomnia is back too, less than three hours kip last night.
    Sorry but when I did get to sit down and watch a bit of TV the feckin thing went off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan1 wrote: »
    what did it say- i know i'm a nosey rosie

Was talking to the lads in the dairy yesterday. Country has gone further under quota- no need for break pads here this year

stanflt wrote: »
    Was talking to the lads in the dairy yesterday. Country has gone further under quota- no need for break pads here this year

rang last week as i was going to put milk into temporary leasing. Up til then there had only been one application in to get milk

Hey. What can I say..
    On the back of a weekend with no power, no water, no phone and broadband on the blink. Slatted tank full, three inches of frozen snow everywhere. on a pile of drugs like a junkie in sherrif street for me back. Insomnia is back too, less than three hours kip last night.
    Sorry but when I did get to sit down and watch a bit of TV the feckin thing went off.

Was only a joke.

Get well soon.

Don't stress about the slurry get a contractor too fire a few load over the hedge.

Had to draw mine to rented land in the next county last week as ground around home would be almost hard to walk across.

Ps. computer makes insomnia worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

mf240 wrote: »
    Was only a joke.

Get well soon.

Don't stress about the slurry get a contractor too fire a few load over the hedge.

Had to draw mine to rented land in the next county last week as ground around home would be almost hard to walk across.

Ps. computer makes insomnia worse.

not if your watching the right stuff:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

went to bring in the ewes for their Heptavac jab, as first bunch due early march, to be met with a pair of twins and a single ! All well and happy, so that a good start to the day. Must have been a ram lamb got to them, but all's well that ends well. Iver in cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

stanflt wrote: »
    no need for break pads here this year

not even if there was a milk price slump?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Does anyone really foresee a milk price slump? I can't see it in the immediate future, but maybe......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement