Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

will ye let it rain when its supposed to rain and hope that the seasons get back into kilter. Dry weather in January is shag all of a help, if its pissing come May

yea if it rains now will we be garunteed that it will be sunny and dry in the summer; like last year!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

funny man wrote: »
    yea if it rains now will we be garunteed that it will be sunny and dry in the summer; like last year!.

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I believe that we get roughly the same amount of rain every year. In the few wet summers gone by we got dry springs and wet summers. I'd like to think that if spring isn't as dry this year, we stand a better chance of getting drier weather in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

reilig wrote: »
    Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I believe that we get roughly the same amount of rain every year. In the few wet summers gone by we got dry springs and wet summers. I'd like to think that if spring isn't as dry this year, we stand a better chance of getting drier weather in the summer.

id be hoping that too along with many many more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Yeah, I'd agree with that Reilg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

We record rainfall here
    2008 949mm
    2009 1084
    2010 720
    2011 864
    2012 936
    As you can all can see nothing excepional about 2012. I think you will all agree that the timing was the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

delaval wrote: »
    We record rainfall here
    2008 949mm
    2009 1084
    2010 720
    2011 864
    2012 936
    As you can all can see nothing excepional about 2012. I think you will all agree that the timing was the problem.

Problem was WHEN it came OK...
    Torrential rain during the "summer" and then just ordinary rain in the months either side of the summer... Nov/Dec were actually drier here in Cavan than "normal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

It's a bit like drinking. Regular drinking in moderation does you no harm. It's binge drinking that causes the damage ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

just saw a pic from Co Louth, up your neck of the woods Whelan1

and

he had the cows out yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just saw a pic from Co Louth, up your neck of the woods Whelan1

and

he had the cows out yesterday
    alot of people very short on feed around here....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Horrible morning here.
    Hammering rain and snow is melting away. Rivers well burst their banks last night.
    Have fella coming tomorrow to suck a few loads out of slatted tank, it'll have to go into an open pit for the moment.

Heading to Cork later for a few nights. What's the chances of seeing cattl out down there near the real Capitol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

whelan1 wrote: »

He was fairly short on grass also although the field looked dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

bbam wrote: »
    Horrible morning here.
    Hammering rain and snow is melting away. Rivers well burst their banks last night.
    Have fella coming tomorrow to suck a few loads out of slatted tank, it'll have to go into an open pit for the moment.

Heading to Cork later for a few nights. What's the chances of seeing cattl out down there near the real Capitol.

You won't see much cattle out around cork i'd say, bucketed down here in the last few days..... You might see a few fillies aroud the streets tho. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Heard of man in north co Dublin refused 45 euro a bale for good straw in shed from man short of feed...he said he will get 60 e for it yet......will be a pity if people start to take advantage of fact feed is short.Down here in whest feed seems to be ok on most beef farms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Heard of man in north co Dublin refused 45 euro a bale for good straw in shed from man short of feed...he said he will get 60 e for it yet......will be a pity if people start to take advantage of fact feed is short.Down here in whest feed seems to be ok on most beef farms.

Depends on what type of bale he is selling, somehow me thinks it isnt a 4X4. Sounds like an 8X4X4 price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

brother paid 25 euro a bale for 20 about two weeks ago,realy good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

naughto wrote: »
    brother paid 25 euro a bale for 20 about two weeks ago,realy good stuff

Reading these replies I think it was a smart move to buy mine at €20 inc delivery to Leitrim last October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Know a man selling haylage for 45 a bale up my way and plenty of takers for it.Bales coming of fields reseeded about two years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I paid 25 euro for well wilted silage, from next door neighbour for a few last month. Ideal as I could draw them with spike as I needed them. I will still run out around mid march, so might need a few more.

Reading these replies I think it was a smart move to buy mine at €20 inc delivery to Leitrim last October.
    delivery was included as my brother had helped him out before.its nice to be nice

bbam wrote: »
    Horrible morning here.

Its hammering down rain here now...

No cows out around here yet, and wont be for a while after today :(

Enjoy your time down here now. Where abouts are you headin? Spend as much money as you can... ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

I paid 25 a bale for hayleage delivered bout 2 weeks ago, got 30 of them should see me try

I think if you have the storage space, you're nearly always better off buying them as early as possible.

430027_530493303651787_1448485113_n.jpg

serious rain here today.... floods everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Floods here as well,heavy rain since 12 to 3,hope we get a summer

hoseman wrote: »
    me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

me too

+1 im very wet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

hoseman wrote: »

Same here - I could stomach such things if the coming summer actually lived up to its name for the first time in years:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Same here - I could stomach such things if the coming summer actually lived up to its name for the first time in years:rolleyes:

Yup i haven't seen weather like it since......

...... last summer:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I have a few heifers being outwintered and I've noticed that their eating the barks of holly trees. Are they lacking in some mineral or has anyone come across this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

First time farmers starting now on channel 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

serious rain here today.... floods everywhere

Unreal for 8 hours, a lot of slurry was spread locally in the last 3 days, I'd say the most of it is in the Atlantic by now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Yup i haven't seen weather like it since......

...... last summer:eek:

Same here lashed all day, place in muck and no slurry out

good things come to those that wait including the weather, im 18 months and still waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

good things come to those that wait including the weather, im 18 months and still waiting

sure bob weather doesnt effect you- do you not believe that spring and autumn grass has no feed value:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I saw a pool of water today in a neighbours field where I never saw one before. In my living memory anyway.

stanflt wrote: »
    sure bob weather doesnt effect you- do you not believe that spring and autumn grass has no feed value:D:D:D

Add in Summer grass for the last few years aswell:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I have a few heifers being outwintered and I've noticed that their eating the barks of holly trees. Are they lacking in some mineral or has anyone come across this before?

Yeah, most likely lacking phosphate, any of the mineral lick buckets should have some in them. Are they on kale? If they are they'd need iodine as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

The more it rains the better. Tis the time of year for it. People expect March weather after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

The more it rains the better. Tis the time of year for it. People expect March weather after Christmas.

My Sitka spruce and Norway spruce just LOVE this weather!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

benjydagg wrote: »
    My Sitka spruce and Norway spruce just LOVE this weather!!!

Nature knows best!

On a different note. I got my soil samples back. I was expecting the worst as regards lime as my land is hungry. It's good grass land if managed like Stanfit. It got no fertiliser last year of any kind. P and K all good. Just 3 cwt of cut squart as a neighbour says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

dont what it is about looking at cows in a house but they always seem thinner than they are.gave the cows second dose today and thought as i ran them through the crush they were fine condition wise yet when i looked at them in the house i think they are a bit peeky.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

So sad to hear about the detective in louth.Those men and women have a hard dangerous job. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

blue5000 wrote: »
    Yeah, most likely lacking phosphate, any of the mineral lick buckets should have some in them. Are they on kale? If they are they'd need iodine as well.
    Thanks Blue. No kale, just silage and nuts. Will chance one of the buckets tomorrow.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Thanks Blue. No kale, just silage and nuts. Will chance one of the buckets tomorrow.

do you feed iodine with the kale? dont know if it would make any difference but cant feeding Kale result in iodine deficiency. dont know what the symptoms are though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

do you feed iodine with the kale? dont know if it would make any difference but cant feeding Kale result in iodine deficiency. dont know what the symptoms are though

Symptoms for pregnant cows are aborting or weak calves at birth. Gave mine a tracesure bolus and I put iodine in the water but I never see them drinking it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

i spray iodine on the top of the udder when drying off and do them every week before they calve

stanflt wrote: »
    i spray iodine on the top of the udder when drying off and do them every week before they calve
    i put it in the drinker at the rate of 1ml/cow per day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

i put it in the drinker at the rate of 1ml/cow per day

Are minerals a bit like what Henry Ford said about advertising? You know the one about 50% of the money spent on advertising being wasted, it was figuring out which 50% was working was the problem. Could the same be said about some of our spend on minerals?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bean_Flicker

Now that the SCWS is gone, do you still have record on agfood.ie the dates when you dehorn calves, introduce meal etc. ??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement