Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Are minerals a bit like what Henry Ford said about advertising? You know the one about 50% of the money spent on advertising being wasted, it was figuring out which 50% was working was the problem. Could the same be said about some of our spend on minerals?:confused:
    stop giving them and you'll know:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    i spray iodine on the top of the udder when drying off and do them every week before they calve

Is that for disinfectant purposes stan or is it absorbed through the udder to address any iodine deficiency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan1 wrote: »
    stop giving them and you'll know:D

I will I just have to figure out which half;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

Muckit wrote: »
    Is that for disinfectant purposes stan or is it absorbed through the udder to address any iodine deficiency?

absorbed through the udder to address any iodine deficiency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

If you have sucklers in a shed, or even around a round feeder, you can squirt 10 ml iodine with a dosing gun on their shoulders once a week and it has the same effect, there is an area on their shoulder where you often see a lick mark and if you put it there, they'll lick off themselves, I had a lot of iodine deficiency in my sucklers and used to do that for the last six weeks before calving,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

have to buy a couple of milk feeders soon,agri direct have jfc 6 teat ones for 103e delivered, would rather one with each calfs section anyone know where id get one on te internet at the best price, anywhere youd get a jfc cheaper than that? thanks

simx wrote: »
    have to buy a couple of milk feeders soon,agri direct have jfc 6 teat ones for 103e delivered, would rather one with each calfs section anyone know where id get one on te internet at the best price, anywhere youd get a jfc cheaper than that? thanks
    saw an ad on dd today in louth good few teat feeders for 150 euro, loooked like a good deal- not me by the way:D

saw an ad on dd today in louth good few teat feeders for 150 euro, loooked like a good deal- not me by the way:D

seen that myself,dont really want to go to louth and dont need that many seems good value alright,ill have a think about it all the same

simx wrote: »
    seen that myself,dont really want to go to louth and dont need that many seems good value alright,ill have a think about it all the same
    whats wrong with louth:D

whats wrong with louth:D

haha did i say there was a problem with louth :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Anybody got any opinions on the different BVD testing labs? Are there any reasons to go with one above the others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anybody got any opinions on the different BVD testing labs? Are there any reasons to go with one above the others?
    Everyone I know is using Enfer , we have four samples sent off and they are quick to txt back the result , within three or four days

moy83 wrote: »
    Everyone I know is using Enfer , we have four samples sent off and they are quick to txt back the result , within three or four days

It's Enfer I have in mind to use too, but have no real reason to do so, hence the enquiry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

We use FBA in Cappoquin in Waterford. Simply because we rang enfer and they didn't answer the phone, FBA did. No problems with them, they send text notification of results promptly. Actually they have tested 32 and found none positive so I would have to recommend them.

Actually they have tested 32 and found none positive so I would have to recommend them.

They are good:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Might sound like a plank but are all cattle sold from now on have to have bvd tag????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Might sound like a plank but are all cattle sold from now on have to have bvd tag????

all cattle born from 1 Jan 2013 onwards will have to be bvd tested
    you won't get thier cards otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Thanks,i presume that cattle born in 2012 dont need that on card so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Marooned75 wrote: »
    As Maloney said all calves born dead or alive in 2013 are must be tested and clear, hence tag. If you have a positive you will then check the status of mother. Pi calf does not mean Pi cow but you will be made check.
    This will continue for 3 years, by that by that time all animals in the country are tested and should be clear nationally.

• Advertisement

aldi have the 4 pack of scissors for 2.99 on thursday, great for cutting tails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I wouldnt entertain anything only the Friskars classic 21cm for cutting tails. So boring am I, I bought 4 pairs last night after midnight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I wouldnt entertain anything only the Friskars classic 21cm for cutting tails. So boring am I, I bought 4 pairs last night after midnight :rolleyes:
    Mundial 170 8sr re serrated edge here. foc when you know the right person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Keep up the good work, bought a cheap body warmer in dunnes on your recommendation

hugo29 wrote: »
    Keep up the good work, bought a cheap body warmer in dunnes on your recommendation
    got another one there on friday,good buy

Just after weighing a milking cow that is on her way now to the cull cow sale in car carmaross. She is calves a year and lost a calve. She was still doing 21 litre a day but below herd avg. any way she weigh 894kg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Rough day outside here this mornin, think I'll be doing a profit monitor and catching up on paperwork .

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

blue5000 wrote: »
    Rough day outside here this mornin, think I'll be doing a profit monitor and catching up on paperwork .

Tell me about it blue, had 2 cows gone into a neighbours place this morning and it took me an hour to find them, thought i was going to keel over outside in it. I went to doolin pier by the cliffs of moher for a spin last night, the waves were coming over the pier and the whole pier and car park was covered in big stones. Its the worst few days i have seen around here in a long time!! Pic is of the car park

photo-2474.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is that where you get the ferry out to aran and the boat trip to the cliffs? Was there a couple of years ago, tis fairly exposed.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    Just after weighing a milking cow that is on her way now to the cull cow sale in car carmaross. She is calves a year and lost a calve. She was still doing 21 litre a day but below herd avg. any way she weigh 894kg

God that's a great weight for a dairy cow Stan. You prob don't give a damn what the next lad does with her, but do you think she'I get the hook or be milked on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is that where you get the ferry out to aran and the boat trip to the cliffs? Was there a couple of years ago, tis fairly exposed.

Ya thats it blue, It was a sight to behold last night and just showed how powerful the sea can be, there were stones 100ft from the high tide mark.

• Advertisement

God that's a great weight for a dairy cow Stan. You prob don't give a damn what the next lad does with her, but do you think she'I get the hook or be milked on?

She will get hooked. She made 1170 not bad for a cull straight out of the parlour

went to run in 2 angus bulls that where outwintered, field about quarter of mile from yard, got them to yard and one of them point blank refused to go in to the shed, let rest of cattle out to him, still refused to go in, let a group of cows out , still wouldnt go in:mad: got a bucket of meal and he walked in after me, 5 minute job turned into 45 minutes .Then when milking, my fr bull caught his ring in the thing that holds the cluster on when washing on the last jar in parlour and broke the jar... lucky he didnt do more damage....

had a guy ring me last night looking for biestings, i keep some in the freezer, he said he had a heifer calved yesterday morning and the calf hadnt drank yet, he said he would get the biestings this morning, so calf wont have had a drink for a full 24 hours after it was born:eek::eek: not a great start for it
    guy arrived this evening looking for more milk for the calf:eek: said he hadnt see it drink yet and it has a hump in its back, like wtf.... he said sure he wouldnt be alive at this stage if he wasnt drinking.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

guy arrived this evening looking for more milk for the calf:eek: said he hadnt see it drink yet and it has a hump in its back, like wtf.... he said sure he wouldnt be alive at this stage if he wasnt drinking.....

Why the hell has he not put the calf on the heifer. I always give newborns 500mm of beastings out of freezer and then watch calf to see it drink if after half a day it doesnt I bring them into the calving shed put the cow in the heading gate and put the calf on for a drink

dzer2 wrote: »
    Why the hell has he not put the calf on the heifer. I always give newborns 500mm of beastings out of freezer and then watch calf to see it drink if after half a day it doesnt I bring them into the calving shed put the cow in the heading gate and put the calf on for a drink

When I had sucklers, I'd always turn on the video recorder as soon as the cow calved to record the calving camera channel, then in three hours I would play it at four times the speed........saved a lot of time , 90% of the calves would have sucked in that three hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

rancher wrote: »

When I had sucklers, I'd always turn on the video recorder as soon as the cow calved to record the calving camera channel, then in three hours I would play it at four times the speed........saved a lot of time , 90% of the calves would have sucked in that three hours

Good idea,

It's a great relief to see them get that first suck... It's over to nature then !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Then when milking my fr bull caught his ring in the thing that holds the cluster on when washing on the last jar in parlour and broke the jar... lucky he didnt do more damage....[/QUOTE]

i wont ask whelan, it could be misinterpreted.

1chippy wrote: »
    Then when milking my fr bull caught his ring in the thing that holds the cluster on when washing on the last jar in parlour and broke the jar... lucky he didnt do more damage....

i wont ask whelan, it could be misinterpreted.[/QUOTE]
    will put in a comma:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

went to run in 2 angus bulls that where outwintered, field about quarter of mile from yard, got them to yard and one of them point blank refused to go in to the shed, let rest of cattle out to him, still refused to go in, let a group of cows out , still wouldnt go in:mad: got a bucket of meal and he walked in after me, 5 minute job turned into 45 minutes .Then when milking, my fr bull caught his ring in the thing that holds the cluster on when washing on the last jar in parlour and broke the jar... lucky he didnt do more damage....

Did you not take the jeep to him :D like the lad on first time farmers

hugo29 wrote: »
    Did you not take the jeep to him :D like the lad on first time farmers

cant get c4 here so cant get any bad ideas:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

my fr bull caught his ring in the thing that holds the cluster on when washing on the last jar in parlour and broke the jar... lucky he didnt do more damage....
    Nasty indeed...
    I repaired a parlour once where a heifer being trained went crazy... Managed to get in over the rump-rail into the pit.. She bent three spines and broke the jars on them.. They had to cut the rail at the front of the parlour to get her out.. Scary for the lad in the pit !

My eyes still sore from feeding there tonight, absolute gale blowing and cows kept shaking haylage so got even more in my eyes ! Feeders are elevated corner of field as drier /run off etc but the westerly wind is torture... Will need goggles feeding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

had a TB test today.... running cattle through our outside crush was serious craic in the weather we had...

had a TB test today.... running cattle through our outside crush was serious craic in the weather we had...
    Hope all gets clear on thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Feckin wind yesterday.
    Our weather station is quite low to the ground but still registered 55kph, just three feet from ground level. Keep meaning to move it higher. Had to tie in a few sheets on one shed as a timber beam gave way, another job for the summer.
    No ammount of stock seen on my trip to Cork at the weekend, seemed the same as everywhere else, just lads with no feeding I'd say. The Tipp-Cork area is looking great and green though, I'd say a dry week and stock will be out grazing down there. More than a bit jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

trying make room in the over crowed lambing pens , just check the forecast ... Friday 30mm perception Temp. 5c wind chill effect -2c :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone know where to get a sharpening stone/file for a hoof pairing knife?

I've a problem with reseeded field that's a bit unusual ... It's attracted lots of hares and they keep eating the bottom strand of electric fence wire? I've battery turned off on it must leave it on for a few nights now... Teach them a lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

8 trees down on our land today, serious gusts of wind yesterday and today, but ill be kept warm till 2020 with all this wood😜😜

• Advertisement

saranac1 wrote: »
    8 trees down on our land today, serious gusts of wind yesterday and today, but ill be kept warm till 2020 with all this wood😜😜

The wind was blamed for knocking the wall on those people in Connaught gold in Longford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement