Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

whelan1 wrote: »
    guy arrived this evening looking for more milk for the calf:eek: said he hadnt see it drink yet and it has a hump in its back, like wtf.... he said sure he wouldnt be alive at this stage if he wasnt drinking.....
    Feck sake,had a 11/2 calf one year got biestings from a neighbour,was I delighted to get it,some people do not know when they are getting a good turn,year later ended up with a nice charlaois bull calf and cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tragic events in Connacht Gold in Longford this afternoon. Hopefully those injured will be ok. Always found the staff there to be really good and they go out of their way to be helpful. Condolences to the family of the poor man who lost his life. I guess you never know what's around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

very unfortunate, a second man has died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

simx wrote: »
    have to buy a couple of milk feeders soon,agri direct have jfc 6 teat ones for 103e delivered, would rather one with each calfs section anyone know where id get one on te internet at the best price, anywhere youd get a jfc cheaper than that? thanks

Bought a five compartment milk-bar for e120 at a local store. Had to order it, took three days. Seem to be dearer online.

http://www.milkingmachines.co.uk/uk2shop-54.htm

http://www.greggcare.ie/DisplayProduct.aspx?ProdID=120&PT=Calf%20Feeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭greenpilot

ootbitb wrote: »

Bought a five compartment milk-bar for e120 at a local store. Had to order it, took three days. Seem to be dearer online.

http://www.milkingmachines.co.uk/uk2shop-54.htm

???????????????....:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

just had a great game of kamakazie tetris with a red limo cow. my father would distract her through one gate while i tried to drop another gate to tighten her in. pulled a huge limo bull and just about got the iodine on.
    we knew she would calve this evening because she started driving at the gate a couple of hours ago. she will be back to quiet in a couple of weeks but we wont be going near her for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

1chippy wrote: »
    just had a great game of kamakazie tetris with a red limo cow. my father would distract her through one gate while i tried to drop another gate to tighten her in. pulled a huge limo bull and just about got the iodine on.
    we knew she would calve this evening because she started driving at the gate a couple of hours ago. she will be back to quiet in a couple of weeks but we wont be going near her for a bit.

One of the reasons I got rid of anything even half agressive... a bitcj like that only needs to get lucky once. You need to be lucky all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

rancher wrote: »
    The wind was blamed for knocking the wall on those people in Connaught gold in Longford
    how could it be the wind if it was an internal wall
    looks like there trying to cover themselves for what could and prob will be coming down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Here may be a reason why the pressure hasn't been as bad as it might have been. I'd say it's a people in glasshouses situation:eek:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/horse-dna-found-in-burgers-being-sold-in-spain-3369930.html

Horse DNA in Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

One of the reasons I got rid of anything even half agressive... a bitcj like that only needs to get lucky once. You need to be lucky all the time!
    Read this and went to check a friesian cow that was calving, while she wasnt as mad as chippy's i still wouldnt trust her. She didn't want any assistance until i started to pull with the calving jack, had a big heifer calf thats 80% heifers so far.
    Serious wind here for the last 10 minutes doesnt seem to have done any damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
    Read this and went to check a friesian cow that was calving, while she wasnt as mad as chippy's i still wouldnt trust her. She didn't want any assistance until i started to pull with the calving jack, had a big heifer calf thats 80% heifers so far.
    did you not learn from the "now that spring is here thread" you dont mention how well things are going-heifer calves- as it will change:D

You've spoken about it, last of the year for you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

naughto wrote: »
    looks like there trying to cover themselves for what could and prob will be coming down the line

Always keep and open mind and try not to jump to conclusions! (i must remember that one).

it is not uncommon if the store has large doors at the back for feedstuffs and the wind gets in, well it will either go out an other door if it can, lift the roof or in this case quite possably knock the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Were you using sexed semen?
    We are in sucklers and of the first 25 calves had 19 bulls. Then had 9 heifers in a row. It generally evens out, if not this year then next.

did you not learn from the "now that spring is here thread" you dont mention how well things are going-heifer calves- as it will change:D
    Thought that when i was writing it alright. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Think you're right.....did you ever see such a poorly built wall. those responsible would want to be disappearing

Were you using sexed semen?
    We are in sucklers and of the first 25 calves had 19 bulls. Then had 9 heifers in a row. It generally evens out, if not this year then next.
    Using a bull. AI man was saying he used sexed semen last year and they nearly all repeated.
    Using ai this year will probably all have bull calves next year, we'd usually get a greater number of heifers than bulls. :confused:

30 ft high brezze blocks with no apparent pillars that's how:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

i am not trying to make excuses, somebody is at fault or else its a freak accident and if somebody is at fault they should have to face the consequences but pillars are not a requirement, the wall could have steel vertically or horizontally as a secondary support or may have been butressed by walls running perpindicular to same,

but it does sound dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

got two more fr bulls today aswell as 2 yesterday for double suckling,started 1 training last night,seems to be going well, starting another tonight,then the other 2 are for a couple of milky cows calving in next few days, one last night i rubbed afterbirth all over him, then locked him and her own calf in a pen together so the cow could still see, then after 2-3 hrs i bailed up cow and let calves out after a few minutes of sucking let out cow, she pushed away new calf a few times but he was a persistant lad so she gave up,then locked two of them back in pen for night,let them out again this morning without any bailing and it worked fine, if only it all was that easy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

simx wrote: »
    got two more fr bulls today aswell as 2 yesterday for double suckling,started 1 training last night,seems to be going well, starting another tonight,then the other 2 are for a couple of milky cows calving in next few days, one last night i rubbed afterbirth all over him, then locked him and her own calf in a pen together so the cow could still see, then after 2-3 hrs i bailed up cow and let calves out after a few minutes of sucking let out cow, she pushed away new calf a few times but he was a persistant lad so she gave up,then locked two of them back in pen for night,let them out again this morning without any bailing and it worked fine, if only it all was that easy :D

That was a handy one all right.
    My father insisted on trying this years ago but it rarely worked out well. Then again his patience was limited.

The building is a large industrial unit about 300ft long by 200ft wide. 50% of it is the shop and garden centre, the other 50% is the store for the farm feeds. A quite high wall was built from 4 inch blocks on their flat to make the division and the shop has a ceiling which makes is warmer. There is a huge roller steel door on the feed store which is opened and closed on windy days to keep the wind out. There is quite a large electric sliding door on the front of the shop.

Have you ever seen what can happen if you close both the front and back door of a house at the one time? Internal doors can bang, pictures can shake and in extreme cases, the pressure is so much that it can smash the glass in one of the doors. I imagine that this is what happened in Connacht Gold - except on a much greater scale, on a really windy day and with tragic consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

jesus dident no that.i bet the insurance will but it down as an act of god as in bad weather and try and get out of it ive seen it happen before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

reilig wrote: »
    The building is a large industrial unit about 300ft long by 200ft wide. 50% of it is the shop and garden centre, the other 50% is the store for the farm feeds. A quite high wall was built from 4 inch blocks on their flat to make the division and the shop has a ceiling which makes is warmer. There is a huge roller steel door on the feed store which is opened and closed on windy days to keep the wind out. There is quite a large electric sliding door on the front of the shop.

Have you ever seen what can happen if you close both the front and back door of a house at the one time? Internal doors can bang, pictures can shake and in extreme cases, the pressure is so much that it can smash the glass in one of the doors. I imagine that this is what happened in Connacht Gold - except on a much greater scale, on a really windy day and with tragic consequences.

Those doors are covered in the wind codes and should have been designed for.

Was the wall built all the way up to the roof by any chance?

Was the wall built all the way up to the roof by any chance?

I'm not 100% sure. I'm in there once or twice a week an only ever noticed that it is very high - it goes at least the height of the ceiling in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Eventually treated my self to a hook drenching gun to-day,Chanelle make € 70.00.Will be using it friday to give a vitamin drech to weanlings.Gun appears fragile.It's one more thing for a neighbour to borrow when he sees it!His excuse will be the same ,he would buy one only he has no use for it,and yet he has twice the amount of cattle as me,I just hate borrowing something will happen it and then you end up fixing it or repairing it.Sorry ! rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

reilig wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0129/365137-longford-garden-centre-accident/, if you look close, they are 9' Cavity with shag all mortar between them...very poor, good picture at .58 secs on the second video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

hoseman wrote: »
    His excuse will be the same ,he would buy one only he has no use for it
    Sure he's no need to borrow it then ;).

Let us know how you get on

had 3 missed calls from school this morning, was assuming 1 of my lot where misbehaving, anyways principal said, i see you have a big field of rushes can we pick some for st brigids crosses? took great pleasure in saying that field isnt mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

jeps 1 feb already
    you slipped up whelan You should have told him you had no problem with him picking the rushes from that field

We got the calf tagged this evening. some fun again. closed in gates again and pulled the calf to the side. great fun in contrast we had another limo calve this morning and tagged and iodine on while she was nuzzling up beside her calf. For some reason we are landing far superior calves from the same bull this year.

We got the calf tagged this evening. some fun again. closed in gates again and pulled the calf to the side. great fun in contrast we had another limo calve this morning and tagged and iodine on while she was nuzzling up beside her calf. For some reason we are landing far superior calves from the same bull this year.
    did you ever notice when you are under pressure tagging a calf like that that they do this mental bawl, like ffs as if things arent bad enough trying to get the job done

did you ever notice when you are under pressure tagging a calf like that that they do this mental bawl, like ffs as if things arent bad enough trying to get the job done
    The calf landed bawling when he was being born but it was me bawling this evening while holding the calfs head with one hand and change the taggers from the test head to the normal one with the other hand and a 750kg b*tch trying to get a shot at me.
    Im thinking of changing the calving layout so that i can close them into a narrow area without trying to coax them out the head locking gate with a bucket of nuts or me as bait.

The calf landed bawling when he was being born but it was me bawling this evening while holding the calfs head with one hand and change the taggers from the test head to the normal one with the other hand and a 750kg b*tch trying to get a shot at me.
    Im thinking of changing the calving layout so that i can close them into a narrow area without trying to coax them out the head locking gate with a bucket of nuts or me as bait.
    2 sets of taggers, pain in the butt doing 3 tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

2 sets of taggers, pain in the butt doing 3 tags
    Having to buy the second tagger for the BVD tag is the one thing that made my life easier with this scheme . I dont know why we hadnt a second tagger years ago

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Having to buy the second tagger for the BVD tag is the one thing that made my life easier with this scheme . I dont know why we hadnt a second tagger years ago
    was tagging a mentaller calf out in the field last year and bent the pin in the taggers, jeez could only happen with a big black mamma up your butt, luckilly had the other taggers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

You haven't farmed until you test cattle out of a shed! It's on days like this you appreciate ultra-strong fittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

had 3 missed calls from school this morning, was assuming 1 of my lot where misbehaving, anyways principal said, i see you have a big field of rushes can we pick some for st brigids crosses? took great pleasure in saying that field isnt mine

Oh god..
    last year our 9 year old offered teacher that she could bring in rushes for anyone that needed them :o

However, these parts are well supplied with rushes, everyone had more then enough of their own :rolleyes:

hugo29 wrote: »
    i am not trying to make excuses, somebody is at fault or else its a freak accident and if somebody is at fault they should have to face the consequences but pillars are not a requirement, the wall could have steel vertically or horizontally as a secondary support or may have been butressed by walls running perpindicular to same,

but it does sound dodgy

Could have? Should have, but from the VT I can see neither. I could be wrong but in the RTE clip there didn't appear to be any pilars in the wall nor was there any evidence that there was steel re-enforcing anywhere in it.

TBH it's not the first time something like this has happened where presumably an engineer signed off on work not up to standard. Priory Hall anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Like mother like son/daughter!:D
    Same here. And after one or two times running from them they sense/ know they've the upper hand. Hard to turn that around after. My calving gate looks great when they've there head out but is too short to get a sqeeze on them if they keep reversing out.

Funny enough I just did a google of the guy I got the gate from and came across this article detailing his improved gate which gets over the issue I describe above! Petty he didn't have it in '08 when I built the shed:rolleyes:

The lada and the rolls royce http://www.persteel.com/Calving%20Gate.html

• Advertisement

i can never see the pictures on the journal articles for some reason. the problem isnt so much the head issue its tightening them into a corner. in such a way that you are safe the whole time and they cant get a run at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

hoseman wrote: »
    Eventually treated my self to a hook drenching gun to-day,Chanelle make € 70.00.Will be using it friday to give a vitamin drech to weanlings.Gun appears fragile.It's one more thing for a neighbour to borrow when he sees it!His excuse will be the same ,he would buy one only he has no use for it,and yet he has twice the amount of cattle as me,I just hate borrowing something will happen it and then you end up fixing it or repairing it.Sorry ! rant over.

Tell him you just borrowed it from someone else & have to give it back, as for me my Da owns the chainsaw etc in my shed & I wouldn't like to lend his stuff iykwim

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

wide awake here with thunder and lighting is it ever going to let up.Think ill write a list of what has to be done around the place in spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

calves got out last night,but were not out long and got them in easy enough, had to call vet this morn as one has sliced his leg very badly off a sheet of galvanise.does not look great for him.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

leg wax wrote: »
    calves got out last night,but were not out long and got them in easy enough, had to call vet this morn as one has sliced his leg very badly off a sheet of galvanise.does not look great for him.:mad:

FU$%

hope he makes it

first 3 cows calved since sunday , 3 calves in IC but all should be (hopefully) be ok ...

1 born about 3 weeks pre mature & to add to his plight the cow ate his navel cord straight off ,

I huge bull knuckling very bad on front legs ...and the last one the cow calved her against a gate pillar damaging her mouth:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

no flies on you lot:D.thanks lads but none of you phoned with money burning a hole in yer pockets.:confused:

well legs how did you get on with your weanlings

you does have super stock like the videos and pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

MfMan wrote: »
    You haven't farmed until you test cattle out of a shed! It's on days like this you appreciate ultra-strong fittings.

I thought you were talking about something else there.... testing cattle in a shed. The oul lad told me that when he started out farming first, he had no crush, I don't think they were a requirement back then. He had a small single story shed about 12' square and he'd squash in a many cattle as possible. Then in you'd go and climb along their backs!! Even the poor vet had no option but to follow along with 'the madness' :rolleyes:

On a totally different topic... did any of ye notice that today's date is a palindrome 31-1-13.... it's the same backwards as forwards.... now there's one for the local if yer off for a sneaky Thursday night pint!

Oh and if you're a bit of a hoarder and happen to have held on to a calendar from 1985, you can use it this year! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Muckit wrote: »
    ..Oh and if you're a bit of a hoarder and happen to have held on to a calendar from 1985, you can use it this year! ;)
    Will the year not be wrong? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

dealerman wrote: »
    well legs how did you get on with your weanlings

you does have super stock like the videos and pics
    let you know sat after i sell them:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

let you know sat after i sell them:confused:
    You going to new ross with them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.