Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just saw this over on motors, stealing a trailer

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trailers/4492696

Keep it locked

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just saw this over on motors, stealing a trailer

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trailers/4492696

Keep it locked
    Jeez, how much evidence do they need! Hopefully on foot of this they perform some surveillance on the q.t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

They dont care you might as well ring a nursing home to report it stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez, how much evidence do they need! Hopefully on foot of this they perform some surveillance on the q.t.

Especially with the logo on the side!

Getting ridiculous this is :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

nashmach wrote: »
    Especially with the logo on the side!

Getting ridiculous this is :mad:

anyone recognize the logo, mr magoo here cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

simx wrote: »
    You going to new ross with them
    carnew:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

leg wax wrote: »
    carnew:)

Never there what would numbers/quality be like there?

simx wrote: »
    Never there what would numbers/quality be like there?
    quality would be up there with any top marts no many frs or dairy stock.numbers for this sale other years are around 900-1100 cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

quality would be up there with any top marts no many frs or dairy stock.numbers for this sale other years are around 900-1100 cattle.

I have saw up to 1400 cattle here at spring sales meeting grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

mf240 wrote: »
    They dont care you might as well ring a nursing home to report it stolen.

unbelievable. If thats true I would have more regard for the thief than I would for the Guard who provided such a lame excuse to avoid doing his/her job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

unbelievable. If thats true I would have more regard for the thief than I would for the Guard who provided such a lame excuse to avoid doing his/her job.

I'd take that Donedeal add with a pinch of salt. I see there are trailer locks for sale on Donedeal today, also in Dublin. Or am I just being cynical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

pakalasa wrote: »
    I'd take that Donedeal add with a pinch of salt. I see there are trailer locks for sale on Donedeal today, also in Dublin. Or am I just being cynical?

+1.

The 4x4 in the pics is too unique not to be identifiable.
    Also, if the guards get a vehicle reg, they will act on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

just do it wrote: »
    Sure he's no need to borrow it then ;).

Let us know how you get on
    Used the hook drench first time to-day,giving a vitamin drench,When you get something like this,you say to yourself"How did I manage without it".Very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

hoseman wrote: »
    Used the hook drench first time to-day,giving a vitamin drench,When you get something like this,you say to yourself"How did I manage without it".Very happy with it.
    I was the same. Real handy with a locking barrier feed rail but your hand gets no rest. With all the pumping of the gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

reilig wrote: »
    +1.

The 4x4 in the pics is too unique not to be identifiable.
    Also, if the guards get a vehicle reg, they will act on it!!

The guards will act on it, but there is damn all they can do. i found half of my trailer which had been stolen, for sale on donedeal. they had taken the body off and put it on a different chasis. The guards came with me to look at it, but the lad who was selling it got a garage to say that they had done all the modifications and welding that made my chasis unique. it was just coincidental that they had welded the exact same pieces in the exact same places as i had and that the mudguard brackets that i had gotten made were identical and the spurious reflectors and lights were the same.
    Thieves have got to be the lowest form of scum out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Mmm...:rolleyes:...when you put it that way or maybe you've just been hangin around too long with Jim Corr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I bought a nice breeding weanling heifer privately today blue Grey BB X Lm.. 2 Purchases in a week That's my dealing done now for a while !

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

st1979 wrote: »
    I was the same. Real handy with a locking barrier feed rail but your hand gets no rest. With all the pumping of the gun
    Same here,have arithsis in the hands,still better then catching heads

Bodacious wrote: »
    I bought a nice breeding weanling heifer privately today blue Grey BB X Lm.. 2 Purchases in a week That's my dealing done now for a while !

How are lads getting on with blues for breeding? i just took a limo heifer out the side door of a reasonable sized first calver. we have 3 blues here and had 2 caesarians. both would be good r grading at best but both very narow pelvis,s.
    I bought a couple of limo heifers out of blue cows and the few heifers i had from my own and might chance them on as cows instead.

1chippy wrote: »
    How are lads getting on with blues for breeding? i just took a limo heifer out the side door of a reasonable sized first calver. we have 3 blues here and had 2 caesarians. both would be good r grading at best but both very narow pelvis,s.
    I bought a couple of limo heifers out of blue cows and the few heifers i had from my own and might chance them on as cows instead.

Blue on BBX cow or muscley BB type cow X CH is the problem. that been said a neighbour of mine has a Sim X BB cow breeding back to the likes of FHZ (BB) and she churning out show calves year on year.

Ive only 2 blues and they will be crossed to lim only, one claved to OZS lim, good shapey calf , lady i bought today is out of a good big wide 50% BB cow with milk and AI Lim (not sure of code yet - will find out from AI Man records) either way she 25% BB and 50% lim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Great day on the farm yest... we finally became a clear herd again having been restricted due to TB for the last 18 months....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Have a very big aaxfr cow, was thinking of chancing bb bull stq on her. I wonder would a heifer calf from that bull and cow be any good for breeding? Also what quality weaning bulls would you get from that type of cross.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Have a very big aaxfr cow, was thinking of chancing bb bull stq on her. I wonder would a heifer calf from that bull and cow be any good for breeding? Also what quality weaning bulls would you get from that type of cross.

Hi JP,

If the FR brings a bit of height and milk to the cross then it could be a nice all round breeding animal... ive seen alot of aa x bb and they very stumpy and hard sold but as you say the fr x should be the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

jaysis its quiet around here tonite...i hate waiting for a cow to calf this time of night.. and theres feck all on the telly... that michael douglas wants to bump off the missus... he`s so wooden he could club her to death with himself...

good morning:D:D ,,,,,,,,, jesus who turned out the lights,its always bright when i get up:D:D, calves did not know what was going on when i apeared in the shed a while ago ,you could nearly here them mutter where the fook is the lad going at this hour,say nothing hes fillin the creep phew:):).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

You're like a child waiting for santy legs. All excited about letting those weanlings under David Quinns hammer. Not able to sleep, up at about 3 in the morning to check.

..,say nothing hes fillin the creep phew:):).
    Adding a bit of cheap weight? I've done it myself on sale day.

Anyone manage to shift a bit of slurry today? I'm going to try a few loads later on, will be driving in straight off a roadway to avoid gaps though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Anyone manage to shift a bit of slurry today? I'm going to try a few loads later on, will be driving in straight off a roadway to avoid gaps though.
    Spreding on stubble ground yesterday it was soft enough.
    Theres a chance of frost next week not that i spread on frozen ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Put out a few loads before lunch just to keep it a foot or so below the slats for another while but its still soft around here (nothing new there:D ) I see M.T. Cranium is predicting a possibility of hardy weather next week so Ill chance another few then if we get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

moy83 wrote: »
    Put out a few loads before lunch just to keep it a foot or so below the slats for another while but its still soft around here (nothing new there:D ) I see M.T. Cranium is predicting a possibility of hardy weather next week so Ill chance another few then if we get it

2 of the cattle tanks are full up to slats and just taking a load and putting into another tank, third tank is 10" from top but all slurry is now being drawn to that tank so will be full in under a week. What I have found over the last few weeks is that it takes 100 beef cattle to make a thousand gallons of ****e per day.

At least we beat wales, slurry now, thanks for replies

Lovely day here. Real feel of spring in the air. Notice that the young whitethorns are starting to shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Adding a bit of cheap weight? I've done it myself on sale day.

never bother giving them meal on day of sale, only ends up on floor of trailer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Absolutely lovely day here. Plenty of heat if in the sun. A real spring day. But judging from mt cranium forecast the calm before the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

2 of the cattle tanks are full up to slats and just taking a load and putting into another tank, third tank is 10" from top but all slurry is now being drawn to that tank so will be full in under a week. What I have found over the last few weeks is that it takes 100 beef cattle to make a thousand gallons of ****e per day.
    Its great to have the extra storage but its a pain in the a$$ sucking it up and letting it into another tank , knowing that you will have to agitate it all again and waste more diesel .
    We got 500 squids of diesel this week and I nearly cried into the tank when I saw how little it filled it up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Any of you Dairy lads calving Belgian Blues from british fresians .
    And if so what sort of money are you getting/expecting for the heifer calves??

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Any of you Dairy lads calving Belgian Blues from british fresians .
    And if so what sort of money are you getting/expecting for the heifer calves??
    most of the lads on here would hopefully have the common sense not to pay what other lads are but the cheapest i seen sold so far is 350.

well legs how did they go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so who's on calving duty tonight? just watched a heifer calving, off to bed now, shouldnt be anymore til tomorrow, good night:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

whelan1 wrote: »
    so who's on calving duty tonight? just watched a heifer calving, off to bed now, shouldnt be anymore til tomorrow, good night:)

i am on as well, had 1 calved a hr ago brute of a partneise bull calve out of a 4th calver holestin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

i`m doin the red eye shift for a second night... got a couple of hours kip earlier,got up to see one and have another to wait for now ... ah the joys of it all .......

im getting biggish calves for some reason . 62 dmd silage wasnt exactly drivin body condition on the cows but the calves seem to have got their share anyhow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

i`m doin the red eye shift for a second night... got a couple of hours kip earlier,got up to see one and have another to wait for now ... ah the joys of it all .......

im getting biggish calves for some reason . 62 dmd silage wasnt exactly drivin body condition on the cows but the calves seem to have got their share anyhow...

Just in from the shed had a fr bull.

Was a foot down so got it up then gave her a hand.

Milked her by hand and fed him.

Won't have anymore for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Had a friesan heifer calf last night you'd think she was three weeks old and the cows are getting a mix of two and three year old silage of average quality.

1chippy wrote: »
    well legs how did they go?
    very bad sale no tlt at it,i brought down 9 and got 9000 euro ,i was going to bring them home but need the space for the springers, not a happy chappy here i can tell you, out of pocket at least 2 grand.:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
    Had a friesan heifer calf last night you'd think she was three weeks old and the cows are getting a mix of two and three year old silage of average quality.
    what bull she out of?

very bad sale no tlt at it,i brought down 9 and got 9000 euro ,i was going to bring them home but need the space for the springers, not a happy chappy here i can tell you, out of pocket at least 2 grand.:(:(

sorry to hear that, they were good stock. Was it the parts that lads didnt go for or what?
    are you out 2k on what they should have made or on money spent. sorry if its a stupid q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Jasus,

I was in Carrigallen yesterday and I thought that prices were very good. What breeds and weights did you sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Any suggestions for fertiliser to use on ground that is been used to outwinter a few bullocks,that would bring it back to speed fairly quickly its got pasture sward and 18-6-12 over the years.

To be honest, I was expecting you'd say that. I saw them on that Donedeal video and I thought they were well back on your normal guality. What did you do different?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement