Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

leg wax wrote: »
    very bad sale no tlt at it,i brought down 9 and got 9000 euro ,i was going to bring them home but need the space for the springers, not a happy chappy here i can tell you, out of pocket at least 2 grand.:(:(

not sure who/what tlt is but heard G(exporter) men took nothing out of carnaross last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

very bad sale no tlt at it,i brought down 9 and got 9000 euro ,i was going to bring them home but need the space for the springers, not a happy chappy here i can tell you, out of pocket at least 2 grand.:(:(

Had a few in ballymote E2.66 a kg was tops back to E2.35 no big price to be had.Only averaged E985 for 6 blue bulls 10 to 11 month weanlings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan1 wrote: »
    what bull she out of?

had a lovely KYZ heifer last night
    001hpo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to hear that, I think it's a reflection on how scarce feed is. But sure at least you have 9k for a few bills. What are you doing with the rest of them?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

what bull she out of?
    Stock bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
    Stock bull
    whats he out of:confused:

whats he out of:confused:
    canadian Holstein must see if i can find his cert.hes going this year as hes a problem with his hip.

canadian Holstein must see if i can find his cert.hes going this year as hes a problem with his hip.

you need to buy a good replacement so:D:D

stanflt wrote: »

you need to buy a good replacement so:D:D
    This years bull has two legs using bqn at the moment no oman breeding in my cows.

This years bull has two legs using bqn at the moment no oman breeding in my cows.

why bqn- 600+ kg of milk very hard to get cows with this amount of milk in calve again regularly

• Advertisement

why bqn- 600+ kg of milk very hard to get cows with this amount of milk in calve again regularly
    we where talking about thisthe other day, no one is going for the high milk bulls anymore, its all for solids and fertility, look at abo 32 kg of solids, 186 milk, even lookinh through the list on pg catalogue there are very few high milk bulls at all

we where talking about thisthe other day, no one is going for the high milk bulls anymore, its all for solids and fertility, look at abo 32 kg of solids, 186 milk, even lookinh through the list on pg catalogue there are very few high milk bulls at all
    Thanks i know very little about breeding. using eurogene as thats who the local man works for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

had a lovely KYZ heifer last night
    001hpo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See Stan, even calves agree with me, going about eating your TMR before grass:D

Things must be gone quite for the cabal in the azzurri;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

reilig wrote: »
    Jasus,

I was in Carrigallen yesterday and I thought that prices were very good. What breeds and weights did you sell?
    Any go on young quality bull weanlings under 250kg

Thanks i know very little about breeding. using eurogene as thats who the local man works for.
    out of interest did you have a service date for the big calf you where talking about? i bet she carried a good few days with her time, alot of the high ebi bulls calve a day or 2 before their due date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

funny man wrote: »
    not sure who/what tlt is but heard G(exporter) men took nothing out of carnaross last week.
    TLT are the exporters,i heard they bought a lot of the heifer weanlings in mohill on wedneday

out of interest did you have a service date for the big calf you where talking about? i bet she carried a good few days with her time, alot of the high ebi bulls calve a day or 2 before their due date
    no :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

What is your calving index. I really fert needs to feature in your decisions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Italy won:D:D
    Cow time now, not so much:D more:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

1chippy wrote: »
    sorry to hear that, they were good stock. Was it the parts that lads didnt go for or what?
    are you out 2k on what they should have made or on money spent. sorry if its a stupid q.
    they should have made 2k more
    reilig wrote: »
    Jasus,

I was in Carrigallen yesterday and I thought that prices were very good. What breeds and weights did you sell?
    7 blues 2 parts weights from 280 kgs to 420 kgs
    pakalasa wrote: »
    To be honest, I was expecting you'd say that. I saw them on that Donedeal video and I thought they were well back on your normal guality. What did you do different?
    had the champion bull ,quality was ther but not as heavy muscled,problem was no tlt or garvalli who drive on the price.
    caseman wrote: »
    Had a few in ballymote E2.66 a kg was tops back to E2.35 no big price to be had.Only averaged E985 for 6 blue bulls 10 to 11 month weanlings
    averaged close to 3 a kg
    blue5000 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, I think it's a reflection on how scarce feed is. But sure at least you have 9k for a few bills. What are you doing with the rest of them?
    all the bulls are gone only a few heifers on the rape and they will be going to grass for 6 weeks before i sell them if i pass tb test

delaval wrote: »
    What is your calving index. I really fert needs to feature in your decisions?
    is that for me or td5man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

TLT are the exporters,i heard they bought a lot of the heifer weanlings in mohill on wedneday

Some well known exporters are not being given credit in some well known marts anymore. At the moment it isn't paying to carry weanlings over the winter. The lack of fodder and crap weather arent helping either.

tanko wrote: »
    Some well known exporters are not being given credit in some well known marts anymore. At the moment it isn't paying to carry weanlings over the winter. The lack of fodder and crap weather arent helping either.

about bloody time too, give the small guy who is paying there and then for his animals a chance, easy drive up the price if you aint going paying for ....... (dont insert weeks)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

about bloody time too, give the small guy who is paying there and then for his animals a chance, easy drive up the price if you aint going paying for ....... (dont insert weeks)

Bob it costs somewhere between 5-700 euro to keep a suckler cow for a year. If producers aren't getting this covered by the weanling price they have 2 choices. Get out or keep the weanlings to heavier weights, or perhaps take them all the way to slaughter if they can.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Bob it costs somewhere between 5-700 euro to keep a suckler cow for a year. If producers aren't getting this covered by the weanling price they have 2 choices. Get out or keep the weanlings to heavier weights, or perhaps take them all the way to slaughter if they can.

If the only profit to be made is by refusing market value at weaning and taking them to slaughter then surely youd be better off keeping no cows and buying in all weanlings to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

The same trouble could be had with the cost of bringing weanlings on to slaughter as the cost of keeping a cow over the year I'd say . I suppose the trick would be to try and find the cheapest cow to keep without compromising too much on the quality of the calf .

is that for me or td5man?
    For anybody who was talking about choosing milky bulls

delaval wrote: »
    For anybody who was talking about choosing milky bulls
    mine is 405, need to work on it, i am not using milky bulls....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Some poor bas***d just got blown to kingdom come by sh**e on YBF. Went to clear a blockage on a vac tank forgot to turn off pto or close valve. Literally blown back down the hill. Hilarious.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Just seen forecast, fcuk it will never get slurry out at this stage,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

they should have made 2k more

7 blues 2 parts weights from 280 kgs to 420 kgs

had the champion bull ,quality was ther but not as heavy muscled,problem was no tlt or garvalli who drive on the price.

averaged close to 3 a kg
    all the bulls are gone only a few heifers on the rape and they will be going to grass for 6 weeks before i sell them if i pass tb test

E3 to 3.20 would be tops for exporters around here.It would be show men that would drive the trade above that ,and not alot of that money around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for fertiliser to use on ground that is been used to outwinter a few bullocks,that would bring it back to speed fairly quickly its got pasture sward and 18-6-12 over the years.

Urea will do fine 3/4 cwt per acre.

mine is 405, need to work on it, i am not using milky bulls....
    Mine is somewhere around 340-50 using stock bull.
    Autumn calvers started being served last week theyre going to be around 400.

600 more like it- my autumn calvers get served 42days after calving and still have a 390 whole herd calving interval-

600 more like it- my autumn calvers get served 42days after calving and still have a 390 whole herd calving interval-
    400 assuming they hold to ai, calved early october wont be calving until november this year. very hard to detect heats here this year for some reason the cows are probably fed up with the weather too.

Are you sure about this figure? record breaking:rolleyes:

Sorry I didnt mean to be having a pop off the price of the weanlings as it makes no odds to me what price they are as I dont buy any. but in general marts extending long credit to purchasers is only going to result in a serious problem if a mart goes bang and leave farmers out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Sorry I didnt mean to be having a pop off the price of the weanlings as it makes no odds to me what price they are as I dont buy any. but in general marts extending long credit to purchasers is only going to result in a serious problem if a mart goes bang and leave farmers out of pocket.

Have to agree with Bob, the pitch should be level for all.

The mart should not be used as a bank for one individual.

Also don't forget if one major purchaser went bang, it would hit farmers on the double.

No payment for stock and as many are shareholders - at the very minimum a loss of their shareholding in the mart.

In most cases i just hate the sight of twin calves, either the cow is recked or the calves are delicate but i get great satisfaction out of twin heifer calves. just in from feeding a pair of TIO heifers, born from a big 2 year old Holstein heifer proper HoJo's. don't know if anyone on here has used him but he is throwing serious strong calves.

• Advertisement

think your figures are wrong there.... was looking at the first few spring calvers calving interval yesterday , a good few where between 345-360 days then you have the carry over cows that are 500:eek:

not sure if that is possable, can you check your end of season fertility report on icbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

There was a guy in last weeks journal with Saler cows, that had a calving interval something like this. Saler cows are great to go back in calf. These figures for the Saler breed backed up by ICBF too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

.... but in general marts extending long credit to purchasers is only going to result in a serious problem if a mart goes bang and leave farmers out of pocket.
    Yep, credit is a dangerous thing, and the biggest threat to marts.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Yep, credit is a dangerous thing, and the biggest threat to marts.
    pay on the day, is the only way:D

In most cases i just hate the sight of twin calves, either the cow is recked or the calves are delicate but i get great satisfaction out of twin heifer calves. just in from feeding a pair of TIO heifers, born from a big 2 year old Holstein heifer proper HoJo's. don't know if anyone on here has used him but he is throwing serious strong calves.
    had a 2yo fr heifer had a set of angus twins 2 weeks ago in the cubicle shed, nearly lost them twice, just sold them there this morning found it hard to lift them into the trailer:)

think your figures are wrong there.... was looking at the first few spring calvers calving interval yesterday , a good few where between 345-360 days then you have the carry over cows that are 500:eek:
    Wasnt the whole herd, the ones that calved last feb/mar are calving jan/feb this year.
    The ones that sept/oct aren't going to calve till nov/dec if they hold.
    Then you have the carryover.

Wasnt the whole herd, the ones that calved last feb/mar are calving jan/feb this year.
    The ones that sept/oct aren't going to calve till nov/dec if they hold.
    Then you have the carryover.
    if you go into icbf you will get your calving interval.... whole herd is only what we are interested in, sure i could spoof on here that the calving interval was 345 - for the first 10 cows calved.... most people work on a whole herd basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Had one of my 3 pet ewes lambed yesterday evening with 2 healthy twin ewe lambs. Fecking ewe hadnt a drop of milk. No farmer around calving and ended up gettin beastings 2 hours after they were born at 630pm . fed again at 830pm and got a shot of oxi"something" of vet to bring the milk down (she had a full elder) . at 850pm she had milk . Lucky escape.

• Advertisement

Joskin all our fr heifers in calf to him this year and last. Wait till you see them as maidens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement