Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Had one of my 3 pet ewes lambed yesterday evening with 2 healthy twin ewe lambs. Fecking ewe hadnt a drop of milk. No farmer around calving and ended up gettin beastings 2 hours after they were born at 630pm . fed again at 830pm and got a shot of oxi"something" of vet to bring the milk down (she had a full elder) . at 850pm she had milk . Lucky escape.

The word you're looking for is oxytocin, works for ringwombs as well.... always good to have in the lambing box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Superbowl advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Chisler2

Very nice.........Ohhhhhhhh but WAIT A MINUTE!

What this impressive ad DOESN'T mention is that there are very few independent farmers left in the American grainbelt. Most have been bought out by huge conglomerates (think Monsanto). Those who remain have had three years of draught, the longest rain-free period since the Dustbowl in the 1930's. Yields were 1/3 to 1/2 this year. They tell me unless we get constant heavy snow and/or rain throughout February/March they won't even bother planting for next year. If you're a hog-farmer or do a cow-calf-feeder operation you follow the agenda of the big buyers because (apart from a small number of organic/free-range outfits) it is contract work.

Irish farming may have its woes and 2012's rains made things difficult but we're relatively lucky.

As for the classy pick-ups - a couple of days of driving the huge distances involved in prairie cultivation and you can't tell what's under the dust and muck, though the drivers are (usually) handsome hunks and wonderful people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Publicity Farmers of Alsace Kronenbourg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Rough night out there, wind, snow, waiting for cow to calve, just came in, everyone in bed, decided to watch recorded "match of the day" in peace, some one fcuking deleted it, :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

yup bitter out there tonight. Eldest lads confirmation would have been tomorrow if date hadnt been changed. happy now it was :o

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Cold wet wind storm etc,getting everything here,stove lit sit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Snow here nothing like sh1t storm over the burger meat scandal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Intermission is a great movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

hugo29 wrote: »
    Rough night out there, wind, snow, waiting for cow to calve, just came in, everyone in bed, decided to watch recorded "match of the day" in peace, some one fcuking deleted it, :mad:

It happens:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have afew dec calved cows loose alot of BCS over the last few weeks, what's the best thing to do with them? They have being milking well over the last month (25+ litres), I'm feeding them up to 10kg nuts per day (which are a decent 18%P winter dairynut, fed in the parlour), and ad lib silage, which is decent enough quality of 73ish dmd also. I'm hoping to push them out to calf down in Feb next year so at least not under pressure that way to get the BCS back up, but still, I think I need to do something now before they loose anymore bodyfat. Will I get away with putting them once a day, or would I be asking for trouble doing that straight up, considering I'd still be bringing the cow through the parlour twice a day to feed her the nuts, so she will tend to let down the milk both times, and 25L is abig enough amount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Timmaay wrote: »
    Have afew dec calved cows loose alot of BCS over the last few weeks, what's the best thing to do with them? They have being milking well over the last month (25+ litres), I'm feeding them up to 10kg nuts per day (which are a decent 18%P winter dairynut, fed in the parlour), and ad lib silage, which is decent enough quality of 73ish dmd also. I'm hoping to push them out to calf down in Feb next year so at least not under pressure that way to get the BCS back up, but still, I think I need to do something now before they loose anymore bodyfat. Will I get away with putting them once a day, or would I be asking for trouble doing that straight up, considering I'd still be bringing the cow through the parlour twice a day to feed her the nuts, so she will tend to let down the milk both times, and 25L is abig enough amount!

im no expert... but i think your feeding them too much nuts... causing acidosis..

was at a keenan demo a while back and the nutritionist said concentrates should be fed at a rate 1.5kgs/gallon of milk produced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

watched zero dark thirty last night very good film

if ya no where to get it do

or pm me and i will show ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

There has to be a cause as to why only some of them are losing condition and the rest aren't. Have the few that are losing condition got anything in common? It's alot easier to improve their condition if you know why it's deteriorating. In fact it may be impossible if you don't. Also, is 25L not a bit low for a cow calved 6 weeks, getting 10kg nuts and decent silage?

Snowing here now:eek: First of about 2 years. Doesn't appear to be sticking to tarmac yet just a light cover on grass. Kids are gonna be gutted all down badly with flu.

blanket of snow on the ground here. milkman normally here aroubd 4am. didnt come yet

Just reading an article on the Dairygold contracts, apparently legislation always made it clear that the rule book of a co-op constitutes a written contract between a member and their society. Anyone here got a copy of their societies rulebook and was it easy to get?

Snow here too, very stormy too, can't wait to go out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Good bit of snow here, maybe six inches with frost under.
    Neither of us going To head out thismorning, keeping kids home from school as I'd say it'll be closed.
    In the bed with a cuppa looking out at snow covered countryside. Tis a great life :). I'll head out to work later, probably ;) , after making snowman.

bbam wrote: »
    Good bit of snow here, maybe six inches with frost under.
    Neither of us going To head out thismorning, keeping kids home from school as I'd say it'll be closed.
    In the bed with a cuppa looking out at snow covered countryside. Tis a great life :). I'll head out to work later, probably ;) , after making snowman.
    some people have it easy:D

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    some people have it easy:D

There was a time I'd be out at 5am battling through the snow to the time clock for 6:45 in Dublin. Not any more.
    Herself is gone down for more tea, and toast this time too, kids reading in their beds.

Will work up the hours another time.

Feck it, life's for living :)

i am looking for the link to sfp that people get, now i normally dont agree with this being published but needs must, thanks in advance

i am looking for the link to sfp that people get, now i normally dont agree with this being published but needs must, thanks in advance

see if that works

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/agri-foodindustry/euinternationalpolicy/commonagriculturalpolicycap/capbeneficiariesdatabase/paymentsdatabase/cap_ben_master.jsp

i tried that one earlier and for my county it seems to be only 11 farms that come up who got funding, like leader etc

i tried that one earlier and for my county it seems to be only 11 farms that come up who got funding, like leader etc

Yes but wasn't there a change, again.
    First it changes to show no information. Then there was a change that only "companies" details would be published.
    I don't thin any private individuals details are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

First it changes to show no information. Then there was a change that only "companies" details would be published.
    yeah think its only company details you can see now

There was a time I'd be out at 5am battling through the snow to the time clock for 6:45 in Dublin. Not any more.
    Herself is gone down for more tea, and toast this time too, kids reading in their beds.

Will work up the hours another time.

Feck it, life's for living :)

be careful:D cozy bed all to yer selves;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

New BTAP task makes the whole scheme so much handier. You can now scan your cows and record the results with ICBF as one of the tasks. Quite a practical and beneficial task IMO.

reilig wrote: »
    New BTAP task makes the whole scheme so much handier. You can now scan your cows and record the results with ICBF as one of the tasks. Quite a practical and beneficial task IMO.

Reilig, I used to fill in the insemenation dates in the record serve sub section under the fertility heading which in turn projected the calving date and then ticked the"in calf box" under the "preg check" heading after scanning, are you saying this now can be a task,
    sorry if that a bit confusing, late night-and early morning, old age is catching up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

proper order...never should have been published in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

You can still see the payments via the following link.

http://farmsubsidy.org/IE/

The search facility is very poor so i think the only option is by county. It is not up to date and it is everyone, not just companies, well it is for my county anyway.

Reilig, I used to fill in the insemenation dates in the record serve sub section under the fertility heading which in turn projected the calving date and then ticked the"in calf box" under the "preg check" heading after scanning, are you saying this now can be a task,
    sorry if that a bit confusing, late night-and early morning, old age is catching up

2 separate tasks actually. :D

Scanning and ticking the in calf box is one task.

Filling in the insemenation dates and including Sire codes is a second task - however all sires used must be at least 4 1/2 stars in order to qualify for this task.

So if you did these 2 tasks only, you would qualify for the payment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

rancher wrote: »
    proper order...never should have been published in the first place

Disagree. Its public money. If you want the public spend to be accountable you must have ALL public spending available for scrutiny. It probably didn't need to be advertised as heavily but under freedom of information it would probably only take a written request to release the info anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Then all public/civil servants pay, pensions, social welfare and hse payments should also be published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Why was the thread closed regarding who is killing the eagles? Are farmers expected to turn a blind eye to whoever is doing it?

• Advertisement

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Then all public/civil servants pay, pensions, social welfare and hse payments should also be published.

All public and civil servant pay scales are public. All unvouched expenses by public servants are published and all vouched expenses can be found out using a FOI request.

As farmers, I think it would be more in our line to be demanding what happens to the money that we pay in levies to the IFA, ICMSA, NMA, etc.

€44 million was collected from farmers in 2012 - 90% of these collections were compulsory. yet no farmer representative organisation publishes how and where they spend the money!!!

Why was the thread closed regarding who is killing the eagles? Are farmers expected to turn a blind eye to whoever is doing it?

The topic was a hot topic on here in the past and caused arguments and rows all day every day. The mods at the time decided that it was better to ban the discussion of eagles on this forum than to have to deal with 50 reported posts in their inbox every morning.

There are plenty of other forums on boards.ie where the discussion would be far more relevant and where the discussion is not prohibited.

This decision was made by mods before our time. In fairness, if people want us to discuss lifting the ban on discussion, we will discuss it. However, personally I would not be in favour of allowing discussion on eagles as it causes too much friction among contributors which ultimately makes more work for the mod's.

was walking across the yard after milking, looked in to cubicle shed and there was a cow after doing the splits, fecking gave lifter to a neighbour yesterday... so had to get it, think her hip is fooked, both legs spread out either side, fresh calved second calver, only went with milkers yesterday, have her in straw bedded shed now, put a rope on the legs.. fook it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ugh yeh hard to avoid the one or two incidents just after calving Whelan! I'm definitely putting down new concrete in afew places in the yard, and getting the slatts grooved this summer though, I've seen way too many cows slip and just about save themselves over the last few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

They are

• Advertisement

Ugh yeh hard to avoid the one or two incidents just after calving Whelan! I'm definitely putting down new concrete in afew places in the yard, and getting the slatts grooved this summer though, I've seen way too many cows slip and just about save themselves over the last few weeks!

Would grooving slats not weaken them?

All public and civil servant pay scales are public. All unvouched expenses by public servants are published and all vouched expenses can be found out using a FOI request.

They are

So there's a website where I can browse to see by name and adress how much every civil/public servant receives, or public service pensioner, or dole recipient, single parents allowance, mortgage relief, child benefit, mortgage interest relief, farm assist, HSE special payments etc?

I dont have a problem with all of that info and the SFP, DAS, AEOS, REPS etc schemes being published, as said it's all public money. but it should be all or nothing.

As farmers, I think it would be more in our line to be demanding what happens to the money that we pay in levies to the IFA, ICMSA, NMA, etc.

€44 million was collected from farmers in 2012 - 90% of these collections were compulsory. yet no farmer representative organisation publishes how and where they spend the money!!!

Can't argue with any of that. out of interest does anyone know how the NFU is funded?

So there's a website where I can browse to see by name and adress how much every civil/public servant receives, or public service pensioner, or dole recipient, single parents allowance, mortgage relief, child benefit, mortgage interest relief, farm assist, HSE special payments etc?

You can see pay scales for every civil service position. You can see pension rates, dole rates, single parent allowances, mortgage interest relief rates, child benefit rates, farm assist rates etc. - these are all fixed payments. Anything that you cannot find online is easily found out with a FOI request. You cannot see what each individual receives because they are individuals as opposed to businesses.

The reason why people can see the amounts paid to farmers is because every farm is a business and the publication of grant money paid to businesses is considered fair by the EU.

In fairness it pretty much is.
    It's no big leap to look up someone's pay scale and know how long they are working there will let you know close enough how much they earn.
    Politicians pay, expenses and pensions are all public record.

Only privately earned revenue should be hidden.

This is where clarity is important. A teacher/guard receives a salary for their work, direct payment for their services yet I know within a few thousand what they earn and what pension they pay.
    If I'm claiming SW the rates are widely known.

Farmers receive what exactly ? Public money.
    So if you claim a grant to aid building a shed it should be hidden but if a company gets funding to extend it should be public.

We have nothing to hide. The money is drawn down fairly and legally. We only get it if we qualify and comply with all the conditions laid out. Let it be known.

But the SFP and DAS are not grants, they're income supplements.

The farm waste management scheme was a grant. I have zero issue with details of grants being published.

AEOS and REPS are grey areas imho, they have both income supplement and grant scheme elements in them.

The logic that you can work out how much a civil servant roughly earns isnt valid to me. there's no list published containing the names and adresses of the parties involved. A look over a farmer's ditch and knowledge of the DED average of SFP payments could allow you make a rough guess of his SFP too, but it's not being published.

Like I say, I'm in favour of it being published, but I'm in favour of every other cent this country spends being published to the same level of detail.

In fairness it pretty much is.
    It's no big leap to look up someone's pay scale and know how long they are working there will let you know close enough how much they earn.
    Politicians pay, expenses and pensions are all public record.

Only privately earned revenue should be hidden.

This is where clarity is important. A teacher/guard receives a salary for their work, direct payment for their services yet I know within a few thousand what they earn and what pension they pay.
    If I'm claiming SW the rates are widely known.

Farmers receive what exactly ? Public money.
    So if you claim a grant to aid building a shed it should be hidden but if a company gets funding to extend it should be public.

We have nothing to hide. The money is drawn down fairly and legally. We only get it if we qualify and comply with all the conditions laid out. Let it be known.

is there not an increment situation in public sector where you earn more based on qualifications, years of service etc, so unless you know all that info you will never get a clear picture of any particular salary

Or the myriad of allowances paid in different areas.

the boss (wife) has just informed me we are going to cinema tonight, 2 for the price of 1 tuesday, her turn to pick, "Les Miserables" I cant fcuking wait

i wonder if i told her wrong time and we ended up late and had to go to Lincon or django unchained both of which are on 15mins later:D, how would that go down:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

the boss (wife) has just informed me we are going to cinema tonight, 2 for the price of 1 tuesday, her turn to pick, "Les Miserables" I cant fcuking wait

i wonder if i told her wrong time and we ended up late and had to go to Lincon or django unchained both of which are on 15mins later:D, how would that go down:confused:

if it makes you feel any better the brother saw it last week and said it was actually supprisingly decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Would grooving slats not weaken them?

No... the grooves are not too deep.. and for slats the grooves are in one direction.. no 'squares' are made... just lines if that makes sense! ill try and take a decent pic of ours and stick it up later

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement