Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

hugo29 wrote: »
    ..i wonder if i told her wrong time and we ended up late and had to go to Lincon or django unchained both of which are on 15mins later:D, how would that go down:confused:
    Lincoln isn't great. Actually it's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

pakalasa wrote: »
    Lincoln isn't great. Actually it's crap.
    You can say that again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

JohnBoy wrote: »
    But the SFP and DAS are not grants, they're income supplements.

The farm waste management scheme was a grant. I have zero issue with details of grants being published.

AEOS and REPS are grey areas imho, they have both income supplement and grant scheme elements in them.

The logic that you can work out how much a civil servant roughly earns isnt valid to me. there's no list published containing the names and adresses of the parties involved. A look over a farmer's ditch and knowledge of the DED average of SFP payments could allow you make a rough guess of his SFP too, but it's not being published.

Like I say, I'm in favour of it being published, but I'm in favour of every other cent this country spends being published to the same level of detail.

The fact that they are income supplements and are mot earned as such means they should be published moreso than any public servants salary scale as it is not earned money as such.

It is easoer to work out a guards or a teachers salary than a sfp as you can assume a starting age and from their rough age then work out their point on a payscale. How do the public guess at your farm size or what stock you had ten years ago and how do they figure out how that was all calculated back then. As bbam says, we have nought to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Just reading an article on the Dairygold contracts, apparently legislation always made it clear that the rule book of a co-op constitutes a written contract between a member and their society. Anyone here got a copy of their societies rulebook and was it easy to get?
    If you are a member you are entitled to copy on request. Failing this contact Company registrtion office ask for Friendly Societies section and they shoud be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

is there not an increment situation in public sector where you earn more based on qualifications, years of service etc, so unless you know all that info you will never get a clear picture of any particular salary

In the sector I work in, there is indeed an incremental scale, You just might get an increment for qualifications but it would be an exception. Certainly years of service. One every year, and then a couple of long service ones. When you get to the top, that's it.

If you are in the job over 14 years, you're at the top and thats that!

the boss (wife) has just informed me we are going to cinema tonight, 2 for the price of 1 tuesday, her turn to pick, "Les Miserables" I cant fcuking wait

i wonder if i told her wrong time and we ended up late and had to go to Lincon or django unchained both of which are on 15mins later:D, how would that go down:confused:

I'm told Django is good but I didnt see it. The last film I saw was The Hobbit, it was brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

if it makes you feel any better the brother saw it last week and said it was actually supprisingly decent

That says more about your brother than the quality of the film:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

delaval wrote: »
    If you are a member you are entitled to copy on request. Failing this contact Company registrtion office ask for Friendly Societies section and they shoud be able to help.

I would have thought that but during the recent Glanbia furore rulebooks were hard to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Bizzum wrote: »
    I'm told Django is good but I didnt see it. The last film I saw was The Hobbit, it was brilliant!

Went to see it and enjoyed it. cant say it was a great film though.
    A bit dragged out and not just as clever as most his films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

1chippy wrote: »

ya saw it, was a bit disappointed as well, samuel L deserves an for his role but other than that a bit weak

Which did you see? Django or Hobbit?

Which did you see? Django or Hobbit?
    DJANGO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Definitely want to see the Hobbit, and definitely one for the big screen. Good to hear you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

Lincoln was outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

F**KN three year old F**KN heifers:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

F**KN three year old F**KN heifers:mad:

How many times have i said that, yet i always keep them:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

moy83 wrote: »
    You can say that again

I have to say I really enjoyed les mesarables , much better than I expected,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

checked tank on way to work this am, touching the bottom of slats,
    checked fields which have puddles in places i have never seen water
    i guess there is no choice now

anyone have a big hairdryer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

anyone heading to the sheep conference in Kilkenny, wonder how much will be the same old stuff. up at 6 this morning hope I stay awake for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Neighbours fine lim stock bull washed up on shore under ours today, great bull he was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bodacious wrote: »
    Neighbours fine lim stock bull washed up on shore under ours today, great bull he was

How did he end up in the sea :confused:

How did he end up in the sea :confused:

I'd say he went down over cliff, big winds probably threw him off balance and slipped, green grass further down on the rocks and this time of the year, you know yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bodacious wrote: »
    I'd say he went down over cliff, big winds probably threw him off balance and slipped, green grass further down on the rocks and this time of the year, you know yourself

Ah thats a sickner, been lucky here over the years, we have lots of cliffs and ledges in the winterage and I only ever remember 2 cows breaking a leg, no casualties thank god. Is it possible to bring him out of there for the knackery or will someone from the dvo have to come out and take a sample off him?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Had a close one,moved a bale,went to get feed,heard a bang,the next row of bales came down 3 high,no harm done and no body hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4527897 I've seen these advertised in the UK/Europe before, but not here in Ireland. Something that I would definitely consider to try reduce the capital I'd need to spend on slurry storage, assuming they do work and have a decent enough lifespan. Anyone come across them before? Looks like they offer most the advantages of a lagoon, without having to account for rain!

Timmaay wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4527897 I've seen these advertised in the UK/Europe before, but not here in Ireland. Something that I would definitely consider to try reduce the capital I'd need to spend on slurry storage, assuming pthey do work and have a decent enough lifespan. Anyone come across them before? Looks like they offer most the advantages of a lagoon, without having to account for rain!
    How do you agitate it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4527897 I've seen these advertised in the UK/Europe before, but not here in Ireland. Something that I would definitely consider to try reduce the capital I'd need to spend on slurry storage, assuming they do work and have a decent enough lifespan. Anyone come across them before? Looks like they offer most the advantages of a lagoon, without having to account for rain!

When i was living in germany, the Army used similar type of bags for storing fuel when they were out on training. I saw one guy drive over it when it was full of fuel and it had no effect on it. Made of tough stuff. Altho the army gear might be a lot better grade than the one advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

think im right in saying there was sadly two guys killed with such a storage tank a few years ago in the North, not taking from them but I wonder how our authorities would take to them, probably insist on a bund of some sort. Military used them for fuel storage so they must be up to scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

how many sets of twins can you have in a year before the dept come out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

whelan1 wrote: »

Calves or foals?

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    Calves or foals?
    calves:D second set in a fortnight, friesian heifers this evening

we had 4 sets last year. one cow calved down a pair on 8th jan 12 and then calved another set 31 dec 12. like a fool i registered them to the day without thinking and got a letter in the post, i reckon it cant be long now before we get a call.

Got a few loads of slurry out today and going topping up the tanks with pig slurry, hopefully it will dry up next week to take a run at a good share of it.

eldest lad went on a school trip to the dail today, said it was fantastic, they saw the tributes to shane mc entee, his mother and family where there and the opposition giving enda flak over the magdalene debacle.... a great lasting memory for them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

we had 4 sets last year. one cow calved down a pair on 8th jan 12 and then calved another set 31 dec 12. like a fool i registered them to the day without thinking and got a letter in the post, i reckon it cant be long now before we get a call.

Got a few loads of slurry out today and going topping up the tanks with pig slurry, hopefully it will dry up next week to take a run at a good share of it.

You're a brave man topping tanks with pig slurry. i hope me get weather for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Lambs or bonhams?

Lambs or bonhams?
    kids:rolleyes:

delaval wrote: »
    Sorry had to run we notice that on fourth set they make contact. However you can put horse in burgers for quiet a while before they contact you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bubblesacc3

Yeah a brave man topping up tanks with the bad weather that's knocking around. Is it free or what price are you paying for it? And is it going on your nitrates?

• Advertisement

Yeah a brave man topping up tanks with the bad weather that's knocking around.
    its all negative on here. the good weather is coming and i have a sort of a plan that might work.
    Is it free or what price are you paying for it?
    Its free but we look after the driver.
    And is it going on your nitrates?
    It is to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

kids:rolleyes:
    If its the two legged variety one set in a lifetime is more than enough.
    We have hit the terrible 2's x2 and they're only 2 a month.

td5man wrote: »

those days are behind me now thank god. now enduring the moody adolescent stage give me toddlers any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

there seems to be a lot of twins around this year, we had two set already this year and none for the last two years.

one set today, jex, tiny little feckers, but though as nails, kept getting out of the pens and following me around the place, bloody well persistent
    10 calves on the ground today and probably another 3-4 before bed time

td5man wrote: »
    You must have your hands full , we have one lad coming into those terrible 2's and its hard to keep up with him . I wouldnt fancy doing it on the double :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

http://www.macra.ie/events/594-crossmahon-bandon-cork-24-hour-ploughing-fundraiser

Just said I'd post a link to this, being organised by our hedgecutting man, a 24 hour ploughing challenge, 15 minute slots for 15 euro donation with tuition from an experienced ploughman as you go.

Should be a bit of craic

• Advertisement

Ah thats a sickner, been lucky here over the years, we have lots of cliffs and ledges in the winterage and I only ever remember 2 cows breaking a leg, no casualties thank god. Is it possible to bring him out of there for the knackery or will someone from the dvo have to come out and take a sample off him?

Dont know whats happening yet but id say .. rope him from the shore and tow him back out by boat on high tide and bring him up on beach and load him with front loader id say for knackery

Years ago I had ten cows calving in the one lot and 3 of them had twins out of the ten. The dept made me DNA them but it was more to do with the ratio (3 out of 10= 33%) rather than the number they told me at the time.

On the subject of twins, a Blonde cow at home had her 4th set in a row yesterday, unfortunately one dead this time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon all the twins might be something to do with the good weather last spring when cows were bulling. A bit like flushing ewes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon all the twins might be something to do with the good weather last spring when cows were bulling. A bit like flushing ewes.

costa del tipp or what.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

those days are behind me now thank god. now enduring the moody adolescent stage give me toddlers any day
    Nine year old is at that stage :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement