Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

irishh_bob wrote: »
    cash is king :eek:

cash ( especially in america ) is being undermined all the time with relentless goverment money printing , europe will soon follow suit , unless they print a load of money , the likes of italy will go under and the euro will collapse , the only thing keeping the euro strong right now is china who dont want the dollar to be the only global currency , if i had money right now , id have it in gold

Should I throw some into Silver too Bob??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

id have it in gold

I wouldn't touch gold with a very, very long pole. It's at an extremely high price right now and could well be yet another "bubble". When all the "little people" (no offense to anyone!) are looking at gold, it's well past time to look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

johngalway wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch gold with a very, very long pole. It's at an extremely high price right now and could well be yet another "bubble". When all the "little people" (no offense to anyone!) are looking at gold, it's well past time to look elsewhere.
    i have to agree with john,over priced now and everyone buying it.a friends sister is working for a security firm which deals in house security as in locks and alarms,but the biggest seller at the moment as in %rise in sales is house safes.i wounder what are they putting in them :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭cjpm

Reminds me of the story of some american business man, who recieved some stocks and shares advice from a shoe shine boy. He promptly sold his stocks and shares, few days before the wall st crash, and bought them all again for a fraction of the price.

Moral of the story, if the little people (you and I) are at it, then it's too late!

Found it...

(FORTUNE Magazine) – JOE KENNEDY, a famous rich guy in his day, exited the stock market in timely fashion after a shoeshine boy gave him some stock tips. He figured that when the shoeshine boys have tips, the market is too popular for its own good, a theory also advanced by Bernard Baruch, another vested interest who described the scene before the big Crash:

"Taxi drivers told you what to buy. The shoeshine boy could give you a summary of the day's financial news as he worked with rag and polish. An old beggar who regularly patrolled the street in front of my office now gave me tips and, I suppose, spent the money I and others gave him in the market. My cook had a brokerage account and followed the ticker closely. Her paper profits were quickly blown away in the gale of 1929."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

just cause its a bubble doesnt mean its going to burst in the short term , every possible factor that effects a rise in price is now in place , economic - political turmoil in both ameirca and europe , massive injections of liquidity (QUANTITIVE EASING ) which result in a debasement of currency , the american dollar has been falling steadily this past few years , the ECB has now began printing money in order to buy up italian debt , a drop in gold price now would defy all logic , gold will be 2000 dollars an ounce by year end and close to 1600 euro an ounce

just cause its a bubble doesnt mean its going to burst in the short term , every possible factor that effects a rise in price is now in place , economic - political turmoil in both ameirca and europe , massive injections of liquidity (QUANTITIVE EASING ) which result in a debasement of currency , the american dollar has been falling steadily this past few years , the ECB has now began printing money in order to buy up italian debt , a drop in gold price now would defy all logic , gold will be 2000 dollars an ounce by year end and close to 1600 euro an ounce

Wish you luck Bob, I still would not go near it personally :)

Wish you luck Bob, I still would not go near it personally :)

im in it but i got in when it was under 975 an ounce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Best place to buy gold used to be antique auctions, Lil ol ladies would die off and the family wouldn't like what was in the jewellery box, so would sell it off in a general furniture auction. Trouble is I gave it to OH ;) Often got gold at 1/3 the bullion value.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

im in it but i got in when it was under 975 an ounce
    If I bought at 975, I know what I'd be doing with it.
    How much did you buy? :D

pakalasa wrote: »
    If I bought at 975, I know what I'd be doing with it.
    How much did you buy? :D

its risen more in the past month than in the previous twelve, why would i sell now just as its reving up

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

had a cow calving yesterday... the last 2 years she had a twisted womb and i had to get the vet to calve her:o He did say last year that it is very rare for it to happen twice... I brought her in and handled her and she was twisted again- so this was 3 years in a row... i let her back out to field to let her open up a bit before ringing the vet .I looked out the window a while later and she had calved herself and the calf was up and standing , a friesian heifer, saved myself around €100 by waiting a bit:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

whelan1 wrote: »
    had a cow calving yesterday... the last 2 years she had a twisted womb and i had to get the vet to calve her:o He did say last year that it is very rare for it to happen twice... I brought her in and handled her and she was twisted again- so this was 3 years in a row... i let her back out to field to let her open up a bit before ringing the vet .I looked out the window a while later and she had calved herself and the calf was up and standing , a friesian heifer, saved myself around €100 by waiting a bit:)
    ya when i first started farming i had a sim cow with a twisted womb and would not calve unassited.her first calf as a heifer was born dead as result of twisted womb.

its risen more in the past month than in the previous twelve, why would i sell now just as its reving up

$2000 - heading there;
    http://www.independent.ie/business/stocks-markets/safe-haven-gold-now-hits-1800-per-oz-2845408.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

In 1918 the price of gold ( taking into account inflation etc) was $2400 per ounce, now that was a proper Bubble. Never know the way things are going we could easily exceed that

Grecco wrote: »
    In 1918 the price of gold ( taking into account inflation etc) was $2400 per ounce, now that was a proper Bubble. Never know the way things are going we could easily exceed that

yes but a correction ( sell off ) is very likely in the short term , the rate of increase has taken everyones breath away

True enough,
    but what if we keep getting bad news, there seems to be a number of sources ie
    The PIIGS
    USA down grades
    French banks
    Uprisings
    and whatever else they can come up with

Its one long continuous stream of dire news and nothing concrete is being done about it so Gold could keep rising. Either way I'm not invested in but its interesting to follow

Grecco wrote: »
    True enough,
    but what if we keep getting bad news, there seems to be a number of sources ie
    The PIIGS
    USA down grades
    French banks
    Uprisings
    and whatever else they can come up with

Its one long continuous stream of dire news and nothing concrete is being done about it so Gold could keep rising. Either way I'm not invested in but its interesting to follow

Those Mayan prophecies for 2012 look increasingly realistic:eek:;)

anyone else notice a serious amount of wasps around this last few days? must have killed about 20 today alone

• Advertisement

I don't think I've seen a wasp yet this year :confused:

kids had a pack of fruit yesterday and they left the remains in the car, got in to the car yesterday evening - the window had been left open:rolleyes:- there was about 50 wasps in the back seat:eek: so opened all the doors and went on a killing spree.. feckers filled up an empty jam jar with water and killed a few more , even today in the rain there are loads of them

I don't think I've seen a wasp yet this year :confused:

Very scarce this way too - I've only seen a handfull this week since the weather got warm and humid. I think the winter-like May/June knocked them back a fair bit - like it did alot of things:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Very scarce this way too - I've only seen a handfull this week since the weather got warm and humid. I think the winter-like May/June knocked them back a fair bit - like it did alot of things:(
    well ye are welcome to our squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have to say, I'm fond of wasps. I've been stung a fair few times but I don't react to the sting.
    They are a nice little surprise to get in a ripe plum, or a sod of turf for that matter!

well ye are welcome to our squad

Not a fan of wasps - just pointing out how unpleasent the weather has been since May:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

kids had a pack of fruit yesterday and they left the remains in the car, got in to the car yesterday evening - the window had been left open:rolleyes:- there was about 50 wasps in the back seat:eek: so opened all the doors and went on a killing spree.. feckers filled up an empty jam jar with water and killed a few more , even today in the rain there are loads of them
    i saw only one this year and i dont want to see anymore i had two huge wasps nests in the attic of the house last year i killed all in one nest and got stung killing them in the second nest because i left on the attic light and they went mad around it.i got stung on the ear and below the eye. the wasps were twice the size of a normal wasp:eek:

Birdnuts wrote: »

I reckon it was the aetic winter we had in nov-jan that wiped a good few out. Slightly off topic but noticed a lot more bumble bees this year.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon it was the aetic winter we had in nov-jan that wiped a good few out. Slightly off topic but noticed a lot more bumble bees this year.

Maybe it was the fact that we had 2 severe ones in a row - but I can't remember such a cold/windy May/June like the one we had this year:(

We didnt have a very warm summer, might that have something to do with it???
    Come to think of it, the number of all types of insect life seems to be down this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just had a giga calf, so off to tullamore we go for the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sold the first of my weinlings yesterday. 4 bulls off LimousinX cows and stock Chaorlais bull. All November calves. No meal until the last 6 weeks.

440kg = 1100
    445kg = 1095
    430kg = 1045
    390kg = 990

Not bad money. Although 250 - 300kg weinlings are leaving far better profit. Continentals were making 700 - 900 euro. Belgian blues were easily making Eur3 per KG. Small enough amount of cattle out. Suck calf prices appear to be gone mad.

Saw a nice month old limousin heifer off a dairy cow, nice hair, good legs, nice shape. 2 farmers got stuck into her and she ended up at EUR 450. Its not long ago when we were lucky to get that for 9 month weinling heifer.

well done i'd say your a happy chappy ... i sold a bb calf that was born in february , he wouldnt drink the cow - out of a friesian cow got €430 i put him in the calf sales. at the calf sale i was at last week there was only 8 calves in it . Hope to go with br/fr calves either this week or next week, have 10 cows calved have 5 bulls and 5 heifers:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

reilig wrote: »
    Sold the first of my weinlings yesterday. 4 bulls off LimousinX cows and stock Chaorlais bull. All November calves. No meal until the last 6 weeks.

440kg = 1100
    445kg = 1095
    430kg = 1045
    390kg = 990

Not bad money. Although 250 - 300kg weinlings are leaving far better profit. Continentals were making 700 - 900 euro. Belgian blues were easily making Eur3 per KG. Small enough amount of cattle out. Suck calf prices appear to be gone mad.

Saw a nice month old limousin heifer off a dairy cow, nice hair, good legs, nice shape. 2 farmers got stuck into her and she ended up at EUR 450. Its not long ago when we were lucky to get that for 9 month weinling heifer.

Well done, serious prices. I cant for the life of me see where the next person is going to make money at those prices. Does someone know something about the beef market in the future that I am unaware of

440kg = 1100
    445kg = 1095
    430kg = 1045
    390kg = 990

Well done Relig, good prices there. Does anybody know why cattle around the 250-300kg mark always seem to be more expensive than slightly heavier cattle?:confused: Some days it seems to me that a 275 kg animal makes more than an 325kg animal of same breed colour quality etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just left the cows into silage aftergrass from a late cut paddock. Its a sheet of clover, you can barely see the grass. I just hope there is enough bloatguard in the water. I will be living in the paddock the next few days:(

had a brutal afternoon, had a heifer calved about half a mile away - had very little springing, calf was alive and well- went to bring them home and saw she had a bit of a blow so rang vet while i was making my way home with her..Got to yard and cow that calved this morning had put her womb out:eek: Then got a text of tbc of 563:eek: the one previous to that was 12... anyway vet came out took 3 of us to get the womb back in and bloody wasps where driving us mental. Vet examined heifer and then i had to milk... will sleep well tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Painted the creep feeder im making earlier on this evening and went away for an hour to come back and it was bloody raining!! Hopefully it wont do any harm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

had the vet today to a couple of bucket fed calves that have what I can best describe as a wheeze. They in great form, eating and jumping round the field, but last night I heard one of them breathing noisy. Vet said there was no loss on them, they didn't have pneumonia or hoose or anything!!! I put Noromectin on them during the summer and that seems to keep lungworm away, but I still don't like the sound of their breathing.

tb herd test tomorrow, spent most of the day getting pens ready and bringing home bunches of cattle for the morning

sounds like we all had a great day, vet got me to pour 2 bags of sugar over the cows womb that was hanging out while i was waiting on her to come out, apparently it reduces the swelling, you learn something new everyday:o

• Advertisement

440kg = 1100
    445kg = 1095
    430kg = 1045
    390kg = 990
    That's great money, especially off a Charolais stock bull. Like the other posts said, you'd wonder about the people buying them, how are they going to make money on them. Did they go for export?

sounds like we all had a great day, vet got me to pour 2 bags of sugar over the cows womb that was hanging out while i was waiting on her to come out, apparently it reduces the swelling, you learn something new everyday:o

Yep, done for sheep also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I think the sugar draws the moisture out which reduces the swelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

Was thinking of buying suffolk ewe lambs and breeding them with a texal ram thats already on the farm later in the year. would this be wise? Or will i end up with some very difficult lambing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Weefarmer: Got any drawings/pictures of the creep feeder? I thinking about doing the same after I finish renovating a trailer.

Have some steel pipe and other bits around that would be enough to get it started.

cow was dead this morning when i went out:mad:

pakalasa wrote: »
    That's great money, especially off a Charolais stock bull. Like the other posts said, you'd wonder about the people buying them, how are they going to make money on them. Did they go for export?

The heavier 3 did I think. The lighter guy was bought by a farmer. I have 6 more heifers and 1 bull to sell from the autumn calvers in the next 2 weeks. Will be happy to have the extra grass. Planning on selling a lot of the spring calved weinlings in October/November. Hopefully the prices will remain strong!!

cow was dead this morning when i went out:mad:

Sorry to hear that. The shock combined with a fast infection is a common killer when they put out the calf bed - not to mention the amount of blood lost through internal bleeding.

+1 whelan, I've only ever had two of these and both times they died. At least you tried your best. Hope the rest of the calving is going ok.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    +1 whelan, I've only ever had two of these and both times they died. At least you tried your best. Hope the rest of the calving is going ok.
    have 16 calved 5 friesian heifers , 10 friesian bulls:mad:and 1 angus bull- all alive touch wood! milk in tank going up :D Will be off to the mart next tuesday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement