Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

td5man wrote: »
    Nine year old is at that stage :rolleyes:

sh1t dont say that i have one of those too ... thought i was safe for a little while yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

moy83 wrote: »
    You must have your hands full , we have one lad coming into those terrible 2's and its hard to keep up with him . I wouldnt fancy doing it on the double :eek:
    They ate the cats food yesterday and spilt the rest on the floor.
    Later they covered each other in shake n vac.
    We think one of them swallowed a coin today going by what the other one said.
    One has no fear and will try anything.
    Just after having a big friesian bull calf thought the cow was never going to calve, watching her for the last week.

sh1t dont say that i have one of those too ... thought i was safe for a little while yet
    Probably only last for 9-10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Nine year old is at that stage :rolleyes:
    arent i the lucky one with a 9 and 11 year old:rolleyes: you cant even look at them with out a row here sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    arent i the lucky one with a 9 and 11 year old:rolleyes: you cant even look at them with out a row here sometimes

Go on.
    You wouldn't have it any other way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I know how they feel, I can sympathise with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

how many sets of twins can you have in a year before the dept come out?

Can I ask why the dept boys come out after so many sets of twins

If its the two legged variety one set in a lifetime is more than enough.
    We have hit the terrible 2's x2 and they're only 2 a month.

God help ya, our 4 year old is worse now than when he was 2, I can't remember when we had the bed to ourselves last
    18 month old then is fit for anything climbed into dishwasher and oth lad was about to turn it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

hugo29 wrote: »

I suppose to make absolute certain that you are registering twins and not on the fiddle.

that would be the monaghan boys fault:) years ago it was noticed that the border counties had the highest number of twin calves in the country, calves could be bought very cheaply over the border and when dna tested where done on these calves and their supposed dams they didnt tally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I know a lorry driver who built up a nice little herd that way, back in the 1990's. Could get a bull calf for a fiver in some farmers yards, throw him in a locker in the lorry and bring him home that evening. He was collecting milk, so never bought milk replacer, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Poor enough prices in Mohill last night at the monaghan day weinling bull sale. Had a Ch Bull 350kg that made €1150, BB Bull 340kg €1010, Bb bull 325kg €990, Bb Bull 320kg €990. All were april, may and June calves. They were fed well enough and I recon they got approximately €150 of meal each.

There was poor buying for weinlings from farmers last night. I suppose its too early, there's no grass and farmers have no fodder. In talking to other farmers, a lot are nervous about the future!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Grass or no grass, so much ground is just so bad that 350kg weanlings wont be able to travel it for some time.
    Even if it came dry now the ground has a long, long way to go.
    I know two other fellas that were holding out great hopes for that sale, pity it was down.

reilig wrote: »
    Poor enough prices in Mohill last night at the monaghan day weinling bull sale. Had a Ch Bull 350kg that made €1150, BB Bull 340kg €1010, Bb bull 325kg €990, Bb Bull 320kg €990. All were april, may and June calves. They were fed well enough and I recon they got approximately €150 of meal each.

There was poor buying for weinlings from farmers last night. I suppose its too early, there's no grass and farmers have no fodder. In talking to other farmers, a lot are nervous about the future!!

was talking to a lad who was in Manorhamilton last Monday and he said same thing, around €1200 to €1100 for 400kg plus bulls but would have been nov-dec11 calves and knowing the seller pumped full of meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Suckler

think im right in saying there was sadly two guys killed with such a storage tank a few years ago in the North, not taking from them but I wonder how our authorities would take to them, probably insist on a bund of some sort. Military used them for fuel storage so they must be up to scratch

Military ones are well bunded as well. They do leak at times. Very susceptible to penetration so you'd be better off with bunding. Imagine the mess if you popped one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

clear test and fertilizer arrive- a good day so far

Anyone have 5-6 milkers for sale neighbour is looking in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Any one travelling to ftma show over the next few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭stanflt

Anyone have 5-6 milkers for sale neighbour is looking in the next few weeks.

What's the budget- I've 20 in the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Are they out if your PB LM cows? I'd have thought €3.10/kg is a great price :confused:

stanflt wrote: »

Less than your used to.
    He wants middle of the road ones.
    Mentioned you to him this morning let me know what you have and what your looking for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

that would be the monaghan boys fault:) years ago it was noticed that the border counties had the highest number of twin calves in the country, calves could be bought very cheaply over the border and when dna tested where done on these calves and their supposed dams they didnt tally

Sorry i didnt know you moved louth down to the sunny south east

1chippy wrote: »
    Sorry i didnt know you moved louth down to the sunny south east
    was wondering how long it would take you to comment:D

just do it wrote: »
    Are they out if your PB LM cows? I'd have thought €3.10/kg is a great price :confused:

No,

They were out of black limousin cows. They were Eur100 to Eur150 per head down on calves sold off the same cows this time last year. I know that last year was an exceptional year, but if you remember back, the consensus was that 2012 prices were what we needed in order to make a profit.

was wondering how long it would take you to comment:D

well were not exactly doing ourselves any favours at the moment, but i have to try and convince people there are some decent skins up here too.I think the main problem is the surrounding counties. were just like the central business district for any mischief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

stanflt wrote: »

are they calved heifers or cows? who are they off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Just a note of caution: We are all very busy stressed and rushing at the monent. While fencing yesterday I was pulling hi-tensile wire, it broke at full tension for the luck of God I was wearing safety glasses at the time. They were completly smashed and I ave no doubt that they saved my eye. Please be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

No,

They were out of black limousin cows. They were Eur100 to Eur150 per head down on calves sold off the same cows this time last year. I know that last year was an exceptional year, but if you remember back, the consensus was that 2012 prices were what we needed in order to make a profit.

They must be super calves if your not happy with those prices,we sold good char and blue weanlings around 350kg in roscommon mart last year and the best we could get was 3e/kg,now the same calves had very little meal ate,so i suppose that is the difference

No,

I take your point. They are still in the top 5-10% quality and price wise. Is there much AI in them? A few of my current crop of calves are now 3/4 AI bred and I can see the improvement in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

delaval wrote: »
    Just a note of caution: We are all very busy stressed and rushing at the monent. While fencing yesterday I was pulling hi-tensile wire, it broke at full tension for the luck of God I was wearing safety glasses at the time. They were completly smashed and I ave no doubt that they saved my eye. Please be careful
    What hit you on the glasses, the wire itself?

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    I take your point. They are still in the top 5-10% quality and price wise. Is there much AI in them? A few of my current crop of calves are now 3/4 AI bred and I can see the improvement in quality.

They'd be 7/8 AI. The black limousin cows are great grandaughters of Fresian cows. They were crossed with angus once and then with limousin once or twice after that.

I'm surprised that its not a hot topic on here this morning that the EU have reached a deal on their 7 year budget. Perhaps the horse meat scandal has diverted all attention away from it. I'm sure we will hear later in the day how its going to impact on CAP and ultimately our SFP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

That deal hasn't been reached yet! http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0208/366740-eu-budget-deal/

kat.mac wrote: »

Overall budget has been agreed.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eu-leaders-agree-broad-lines-of-budget-deal-584041.html

Its just a matter of hammering out what each department will get. Peace Funding has been cut by €75 million or 33%:eek:

Hope they don't do the same for agriculture!!

such a lump of BB bull calf born last night to a LimX cross cow, cow lay down for an hour and half after and i dont blame her, got the calf latched on while she was resting:D

it was like bambi on ice with the calf in the creep

whats the story with launching slurry across the ditch:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

such a lump of BB bull calf born last night to a LimX cross cow, cow lay down for an hour and half after and i dont blame her, got the calf latched on while she was resting:D

it was like bambi on ice with the calf in the creep

whats the story with launching slurry across the ditch:confused:

Do it at the weekend.

Id spread it on the road before id leave it under cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

The frogs are making some racket in the drains this morning. Hope they have a good season and eat plenty of midges and flies!

had a weanling aa heifer stuck in the bars of a round feeder this morning, was at the stage didnt know whether to push her forward or back, but got her out backwards in the end, will have a hurty back later:o got knackery to take cow that did the splits earlier in the week , think both hips where damaged , lifted her twice a day and she never put any weight on the back legs at all:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

got knackery to take cow that did the splits earlier in the week , think both hips where damaged , lifted her twice a day and she never put any weight on the back legs at all:mad:

Ugh have one heading that way at the minute also, calved about a month now, was lame ever since, hoof pairer said she probably had nerve damage from birth and should get over it, only got worse in the last wk, and the vet says its probably arthritis. 2nd cow that we'll have lost this year, and its barely Feb :rolleyes:, both are 12 years old, this is the joys of not having enough replacements coming into the heard.

Had another fresh enough calver get stuck in the cubicles also today!

I had a cow calve this morning. i was sticking the tags in and the little sh1t moved its head and i endd up tagging through the ear on the double. the ear is folded between the tag. anyone any suggestions .

• Advertisement

I had a cow calve this morning. i was sticking the tags in and the little sh1t moved its head and i endd up tagging through the ear on the double. the ear is folded between the tag. anyone any suggestions .
    mmm i remeber when i was very young one of the first calves i tagged i did this with a silver tag and the calf died- was assured it wasnt my fault as it died of scour- but for years after i was afraid of tagging calves:), think you will have to cut the tag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

u do have some bad luck chippy. did u ever consider another career :)

adne wrote: »
    u do have some bad luck chippy. did u ever consider another career :)

doing that but for some reason i love hardship. If my luck stays at this i will be as happy as a pig in sh1t

Is there much of the tip stuck? As whelan suggests cut out the tag and get a replacement. Otherwise if there is only the smallest bit of the tip caught snip it with something as sharp as a scalpel blade. I'd take whelan's option though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

pakalasa wrote: »
    What hit you on the glasses, the wire itself?
    The wire snapped i have a right mark on my face. Honestly don't know what happened I ended up on the ground.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm surprised that its not a hot topic on here this morning that the EU have reached a deal on their 7 year budget. Perhaps the horse meat scandal has diverted all attention away from it. I'm sure we will hear later in the day how its going to impact on CAP and ultimately our SFP.

Looks like there will be a small cut, hopefully the ordinary farmer won't be.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2013/february/title,68727,en.html

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

delaval wrote: »
    The wire snapped i have a right mark on my face. Honestly don't know what happened I ended up on the ground.

That happened a neighbour here many years ago who was straining wire with a MF65. He also had a close escape. The Boss man remarked to him "You were lucky Jim, someone was praying for you" . To which Jim replied "aye but what hoor was praying for the wire to break..?"
    That one was told about 90 times since :rolleyes:!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No,

....especially if creepin' @€;150/hd :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

anybody else have a problem keeping socks on their feet-every sock i have seems to have a hole in them and its not for the want of buying them.is it the wellies or are socks gone to s**t alltogether.is there any crowd that does good socks.dosent seem like a big problem but fed up of it now:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

keep going wrote: »
    anybody else have a problem keeping socks on their feet-every sock i have seems to have a hole in them and its not for the want of buying them.is it the wellies or are socks gone to s**t alltogether.is there any crowd that does good socks.dosent seem like a big problem but fed up of it now:mad:
    i agree, i have oilers on and the socks keep coming off so i wait till im getting them off the oilers:(. 31st cow calved this morning, all calved on their own, no problems touch wood!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement