Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

kevthegaff wrote: »
    i agree, i have oilers on and the socks keep coming off so i wait till im getting them off the oilers:(. 31st cow calved this morning, all calved on their own, no problems touch wood!
    think dar31 was talking of a good pair of socks, cant remember the name... i wear 2 pairs one light pair of the kids socks and then heavy socks over them:o editedto say just noticed we have reached 9000 posts in farming chit chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

whelan1 wrote: »
    think dar31 was talking of a good pair of socks, cant remember the name... i wear 2 pairs one light pair of the kids socks and then heavy socks over them:o editedto say just noticed we have reached 9000 posts in farming chit chat

that's a lot of chit chat;)

socks .. I wear Karrimor, JCB or Cat work socks, actually found the Aldi skying socks quite good but they didn't last very long

beautiful spring morn here, :) to morrow wont be as nice :(

jomoloney wrote: »
    that's a lot of chit chat;)

socks .. I wear Karrimor, JCB or Cat work socks, actually found the Aldi skying socks quite good but they didn't last very long

beautiful spring morn here, :) to morrow wont be as nice :(
    raining here, kids football cancelled for the 4th week in a row:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

keep going wrote: »
    anybody else have a problem keeping socks on their feet-every sock i have seems to have a hole in them and its not for the want of buying them.is it the wellies or are socks gone to s**t alltogether.is there any crowd that does good socks.dosent seem like a big problem but fed up of it now:mad:
    These are the best work socks I've ever had; CAT Work Socks
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/caterpillar-work-sock-3-pack-mens-414091

I can't remember where I got them, but I got good wear outta them. Tesco had work socks a while back. Bought some to try out. Seemed ok. I checked loads of times since, but they don't have them now.:D
    If you are willing to splash out, climbing or hill walking socks are double lined to prevent sores on the feet. Any outdoor activities shop will have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan1 wrote: »

bridgedale €15-20 a pair, but i live in mine

seen them mentioned on the bff site, asnd put them on my santy wish list one year, now i ask for a pair every year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Don't ya just love when a couple day old calf discovers there is 4 teets on the mother all with loads of milk, do ye notice some calves always stay on the same teet for days, do ye leave we'll enough alone or do ye latch calf onto other teet before it gets too big

Let the new bull onto slats with cows this am, 4 yr old limo (second in command) arrived to meet him, she didn't know what hit her, think she knows her place now

How in the name of god can a little fella produce som much poo and up to his neck:confused: better bath him before his mother gets home

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

hugo29 wrote: »
    Don't ya just love when a couple day old calf discovers there is 4 teets on the mother all with loads of milk, do ye notice some calves always stay on the same teet for days, do ye leave we'll enough alone or do ye latch calf onto other teet before it gets too big
    I leave them ,jost make sure they get the biestings,My thought on it is best to leave it to nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm on the lookout for afew incalf/calved down heifers at the minute, willing to pay decent money for the right ones, not too pushed if they are bf or Ho. But I'm finding most forsale are either off a stock bull, or incalf to a stock dairy bull, neither of which I'm too keen on, too much of a lottery! I guess I've been spoilt here, we have always used AI, I can never remember a stock dairy bull! But anyways I thought AI was more widespread, or is all that is forsale the leftovers/late calvers etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for afew incalf/calved down heifers at the minute, willing to pay decent money for the right ones, not too pushed if they are bf or Ho. But I'm finding most forsale are either off a stock bull, or incalf to a stock dairy bull, neither of which I'm too keen on, too much of a lottery! I guess I've been spoilt here, we have always used AI, I can never remember a stock dairy bull! But anyways I thought AI was more widespread, or is all that is forsale the leftovers/late calvers etc?
    I have late calvers for sale all by stock bull in calf to stock bull hence reason for sale. My advice is do without rather than buy stock bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

What you want is heifers that guys have surplus, heifers that they bred to keep for themselves. What you're being offered is heifers that were bred to sell. Some of the mart dairy sales later this month might turn up a few good ones. There's no comparison between the two types of heifer regardless of the system they were bred for.

put an ad on donedeal of what you want, did this last year and got exactly what i wanted, worked out well

anybody else have a problem keeping socks on their feet-every sock i have seems to have a hole in them and its not for the want of buying them.is it the wellies or are socks gone to s**t alltogether.is there any crowd that does good socks.dosent seem like a big problem but fed up of it now:mad:
    Go to gregg care web site Milford sock €13 I have been wearing them for years buy about 3 pairs per year. I wear them even for good wear Marino wool really comfy and hard wearing. I wear all summer as not sweatty. These guys really good for rain/milking gear not cheap but long lasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Laying blocks all day trying to finish off lambing shed. Wrecked this evening but its very satisfying work to see actual results for your days labour. Others days u could be working all day and not see where u spent ure time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

delaval wrote: »
    I have late calvers for sale all by stock bull in calf to stock bull hence reason for sale. My advice is do without rather than buy stock bull.

Lol better not put that on the ad. :D

Or are you trying the old reverse psychology :)

Tim your breeding advisor/Ai man will know all the guys that have good stock and are genuine.

Hmm yeh late calvers aren't much use unless very very cheap (in wintermilk so could milk them on, but once late very hard to pull them back next year). I'm only ruling out JEx at the minute as my dads in hospital at the minute and its a debate/stress that he doesn't need! Otherwise I'd definitely be willing to try afew and do the sums in a years time to see how they compared to ourown ladies! One of the lads in the discussion group did that last yr and said the JEx wins hands down!

mf240 wrote: »
    Tim your breeding advisor/Ai man will know all the guys that have good stock and are genuine.

Yeh have asked them. Wicklow isnt a big dairy county at all though, and a hell of alot of them are in winter milk anyways.

have bought alot of stock over the last few years so i have a few bits of advice, make sure they are bvd tested, animals will never milk as well for you as they did with their previous owner;) ensure you see the milk recording results before you buy

Hmm yeh late calvers aren't much use unless very very cheap (in wintermilk so could milk them on, but once late very hard to pull them back next year). I'm only ruling out JEx at the minute as my dads in hospital at the minute and its a debate/stress that he doesn't need! Otherwise I'd definitely be willing to try afew and do the sums in a years time to see how they compared to ourown ladies! One of the lads in the discussion group did that last yr and said the JEx wins hands down!
    PM me if you please, when you decide our solids on last collection were BF 4.80% Pro 3.56%:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

anyone have grown arable silage in the past? i have fodder beat sat in a field for the past two years and was going to put in arable silage this year and cut it with the second cut and into the pit. thing is I have never set this before so unsure how much seed/ fert sprays and fert to use. any help? does the grass come nice after cutting for silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

sea12 wrote: »
    Laying blocks all day trying to finish off lambing shed. Wrecked this evening but its very satisfying work to see actual results for your days labour. Others days u could be working all day and not see where u spent ure time.
    Its great when you get something else done, other than putting food in one end of an animal and dealing with it when it comes out the other. :(

f140 wrote: »
    anyone have grown arable silage in the past? i have fodder beat sat in a field for the past two years and was going to put in arable silage this year and cut it with the second cut and into the pit. thing is I have never set this before so unsure how much seed/ fert sprays and fert to use. any help? does the grass come nice after cutting for silage
    Last time we sowed it crop lodged and had to reseed whole 40 acres too much N:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Not long back in from hurling training there. About to go for a walk across the fields to see what condition they are in. If they are anywhere near as wet as the pitch I have been running around for the last hour and a half I won't have cattle out for a while yet. I could be buying fodder if it doesn't take up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Not long back in from hurling training there. About to go for a walk across the fields to see what condition they are in. If they are anywhere near as wet as the pitch I have been running around for the last hour and a half I won't have cattle out for a while yet. I could be buying fodder if it doesn't take up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Put the calved cows out yesterday but they are back in today:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Considering it's a Sunday

th_tumbleweed.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

great start to the week, all animals fed and watered by lunch time :) bring on the auld enemy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Soft day again lads and lassies.
    Sher, at least it keeps the dust down anyway. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

bbam wrote: »
    Soft day again lads and lassies.
    Sher, at least it keeps the dust down anyway. ;)

i couldnt tell you, havet left the house and wont either. my head is bursting, i'll never drink again is what im thinking but i know im only fooling myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yeah have done it in the past, used oats and peas, should be cut after 12weeks growth when peas are in flower and grain is about milky ripe. Seeding rate is about 8 stone per acre. Sow the grain/peas first then shake the grass seed after and roll it in.

Fert depends on soil test I suppose. We never sprayed ours, except roundup before ploughing.

Silage won't be huge quality 65dmd ish. And as already said if it lodges mow it immediately. Try wilt it if you get the weather:D

Peas will bring up the protein, but are prone to lodging and are full of water. Can be better to leave them out and just go with oats/barley.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

td5man wrote: »
    Its great when you get something else done, other than putting food in one end of an animal and dealing with it when it comes out the other. :(

Very true. !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

have grown it a couple of times in the past. will give you a fair yield of fair quality silage, some points i have learned from my own experience and watching others;1give it about 30 units n to kickstart the cereal element in a pea/cereal mix.2needs protection against bydv so at least an aphicide, but you need to watch for frit fly in grass seed and if you get any use dursban to control, will also do the aphids.3watch for mildew in the cereal,will need a spray to control if it gets bad.4 if it lodges cut it that day regardless of the stage of growth as it will kill grass seeds instantly.5 it is bloody hard to preserve with the peas in it as protein is high, have found that very high rate molasses works well(6 gals per ton).6 great grass after with no need for nitrogen as the peas leave a nice bit behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

have grown different types over the years with reseeding and at this stage i only use barley on its own.i think you are taking a little extra risk with your reseeding by putting in peas/vetchs or what ever.the method i use is to scater barley(usually from a mill) with the manure spreader and get a one pass to harrow it in and set the grass seed.3bags of 18 6 12 at seeding and 1 to 2 bags of can at 5 to 6 weeks.also spray at this time.get 10+bales to the acre.it dosent cost that much extra(the price of the barley seed)and allows get silage off a field and free up another field.feed it in oct ,nov with grass and reckon its a super feed that time of year and you will get more out of your grass

great start to the week, all animals fed and watered by lunch time :) bring on the auld enemy!!!
    Mil;ked this am at 4.30 so we could do afternoon milking at 1.30 to watch match. Awful bad result we weren't at the races pity I expected them to win after last year:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Mil;ked this am at 4.30 so we could do afternoon milking at 1.30 to watch match. Awful bad result we weren't at the races pity I expected them to win after last year:mad::mad:
    And but for O'Gara they would have had zero, they'll be a washout without him. pity he wasn't on the whole match...probably not fit enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

have grown different types over the years with reseeding and at this stage i only use barley on its own.i think you are taking a little extra risk with your reseeding by putting in peas/vetchs or what ever.the method i use is to scater barley(usually from a mill) with the manure spreader and get a one pass to harrow it in and set the grass seed.3bags of 18 6 12 at seeding and 1 to 2 bags of can at 5 to 6 weeks.also spray at this time.get 10+bales to the acre.it dosent cost that much extra(the price of the barley seed)and allows get silage off a field and free up another field.feed it in oct ,nov with grass and reckon its a super feed that time of year and you will get more out of your grass

yes its just barley seed i was going to do. can this be done just with the spinner or do i need to get a one pass. i have my own kuhn powerharrow but no one pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

rancher wrote: »
    And but for O'Gara they would have had zero, they'll be a washout without him. pity he wasn't on the whole match...probably not fit enough

Are you serious? great player in his day, but come on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

yes its just barley seed i was going to do. can this be done just with the spinner or do i need to get a one pass. i have my own kuhn powerharrow but no one pass

You can shake the barley with a vicon, then power harrow it in. Then go with the grass seed in the vicon and just roll it after that. Don't go too heavy with the barley, 5 or 6 st to the acre is enough, top dress it with CAN when the barley has 2 leaves up to help it tiller. How many acres are you doing?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

I thought he was hopeless apart from the two scores. Doesn't deserve a start the next day.

• Advertisement

Rancher, you take and give some punishment re IFA and I agree with some of it, but you know phuck all about rugby:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Are you serious? great player in his day, but come on
    Good loser wrote: »
    I thought he was hopeless apart from the two scores. Doesn't deserve a start the next day.

he doesn't but if sexton is out who will start?

rog doc & bod certainly nearing the end , healey will be lucky to escape without a ban very poor discipline to day , but no excuses beaten by a far better team

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gill1983

Hi il apologise. In advance if I'm posting in the wrong section, but if anyone of u could Help me out I'm looking for bout 100 kg of brewery Grade barley around dublin/kildare area if anyone could Help me out it would Be much appreciated. As iv been looking for a while,

jomoloney wrote: »
    he doesn't but if sexton is out who will start?

rog doc & bod certainly nearing the end , healey will be lucky to escape without a ban very poor discipline to day , but no excuses beaten by a far better team

Have to agree best team won today,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Rancher, you take and give some punishment re IFA and I agree with some of it, but you know phuck all about rugby:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I don't like sexton any way..... one good match and then off form for three matches.
    That team don't seem able to push through for tries and are over dependent on kickers .....then when the kicker is off form...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/mother-had-to-kick-urban-fox-to-stop-it-dragging-her-baby-out-of-the-house-29060919.html

As I keep saying.....where these vermin are concerned you cannot underestimate what they are capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/mother-had-to-kick-urban-fox-to-stop-it-dragging-her-baby-out-of-the-house-29060919.html

As I keep saying.....where these vermin are concerned you cannot underestimate what they are capable of.

Serious problem allright. Population has boomed in cities where there is an ample supply of food for them that they don't have to hunt for. Serious boom in rural populations in recent years also.

However, I cannot understand how one would get into a house??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

reilig wrote: »

However, I cannot understand how one would get into a house??

The back door had been left open..
    I dont understand that either.. in this weather why does someone leave their back door open unattended...

A big problem is people feeding the damn foxes, I know three people feeding them regularly, just so they can see nature up close in their garden, two in build up areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

I know in out neck of the woods they would be fed with shotgun pellets....

bbam wrote: »
    The back door had been left open..
    I dont understand that either.. in this weather why does someone leave their back door open unattended...

A big problem is people feeding the damn foxes, I know three people feeding them regularly, just so they can see nature up close in their garden, two in build up areas.
    well in this house i have often come back home to find the door wide open, other members of my family seem to find it hard to close the door , i am always giving out that mice or the stupid cats, hens, turkeys will get in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement