Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we scanned the angus herd in late september there where 3or 4 not in calf, i was insisting we get rid of them so we wouldnt have to feed them, my da said to keep them til after the end of the tax year, lucky we did, 2 of them are springing now:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Hi, a lad gave me a bit of that CTC powder you can mix with the milk, not the stuff you put on the meal.

Is the soluable CTC legal in the south? and where can i get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    well in this house i have often come back home to find the door wide open, other members of my family seem to find it hard to close the door , i am always giving out that mice or the stupid cats, hens, turkeys will get in

In fairness that happens here too... but in a city like London people dont usually go about with their doors open... I have to wonder was this woman in the habbit of feeding the fox, possibly inside ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

had monster of a bull calf yesterday.went in to watch the ireland game afterwards lord god but iam one sick man to day.will put up a pic if ican find the camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

naughto wrote: »
    had monster of a bull calf yesterday.went in to watch the ireland game afterwards lord god but iam one sick man to day.will put up a pic if ican find the camera

ha ha - I assume you mean a pic of the calf, or do you mean a pic of youself in your sick state? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Had to take a nice ewe into the knackers this morning... sickening...
    She prolapsed on Friday, and I had put her back together, but obviously didn't do as good a job as I should have... Annoyed with myself :( :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

ha ha - I assume you mean a pic of the calf, or do you mean a pic of youself in your sick state? :D
    no one wants to see me in sick state have to and find my car now parked it some place in town yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Hi, a lad gave me a bit of that CTC powder you can mix with the milk, not the stuff you put on the meal.

Is the soluable CTC legal in the south? and where can i get it?

is it coming in a liquid form or what? sure its just noraml CTC powder mixed with milk. AFAIK only powder or granules licensed in the Republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

we scanned the angus herd in late september there where 3or 4 not in calf, i was insisting we get rid of them so we wouldnt have to feed them, my da said to keep them til after the end of the tax year, lucky we did, 2 of them are springing now:eek:

Hmm does that happen often? (ie the scanner getting it wrong). If they are springing now they should have been well on their way at the end of sept! When you get the likes of that its probably worth getting the vet etc to double check if you have him out anyways afterwards.

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm does that happen often? (ie the scanner getting it wrong). If they are springing now they should have been well on their way at the end of sept! When you get the likes of that its probably worth getting the vet etc to double check if you have him out anyways afterwards.
    last year i sold a few culls to a dealer out of the yard, these where scanned not in calf and 4 or 5 months later they calved in new mans place, with fr calves..... my dad was saying the same but i said sure if the scanning man has said they are not in calf, they shouldnt be in calf:confused::confused: a pedigree calf would be a big loss had we estrumated them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Interesting, yeh big risk there so! We never got the cows scanned last yr, so I'd often get the vet to check afew cow here when hes around, he doesn't use the scanner, just checked with his hand. Most cows are usually gone 4months anyways, which I suppose makes it easier for him, but anyways I don't remember him having got one wrong yet! I'm getting in a chap to scan 20/30 of the late spring/winter calvers over the next week, I'll keep in mind that its not 100% certain by any means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

last year i sold a few culls to a dealer out of the yard, these where scanned not in calf and 4 or 5 months later they calved in new mans place, with fr calves..... my dad was saying the same but i said sure if the scanning man has said they are not in calf, they shouldnt be in calf:confused::confused: a pedigree calf would be a big loss had we estrumated them

Our Scanning man will give a cert to say that an cow is in calf or not only if she is more than 30 days and less than 6 months gone. He says that he cannot accorately tell if a cow is in calf if she is more than 6 months gone. he can tell with some cows and not others.

reilig wrote: »
    Our Scanning man will give a cert to say that an cow is in calf or not only if she is more than 30 days and less than 6 months gone. He says that he cannot accorately tell if a cow is in calf if she is more than 6 months gone. he can tell with some cows and not others.
    yup can well understand under 30 days or over 6 months but these would have been 4-5 months gone, i wrote it down in the diary and one of them was the dam of a bvd calf so we where happy she wasnt in calf, i would say she will calve in the next day or so... i was saying maybe i wrote down the wrong result for the other one but i deffo remember the one with the bvd calf , he said she wasnt in calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

reilig wrote: »

the 30 day bit I get, but after 6 months:confused:

i see the pope resigned, wonder was it anything to do with the horse meat

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »

He can tell most of them, but he cannot give a 100% guarantee after 6 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

My scanner scans the late ones outside the right flank instead of rectally.

Whelan have you spoke to any other customers about results, a pedigree cow going to the factory in calf could be a bit expensive.:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    My scanner scans the late ones outside the right flank instead of rectally.

Whelan have you spoke to any other customers about results, a pedigree cow going to the factory in calf could be a bit expensive.:(
    i wont be using him again.... had issues with another guy who perforated a few cows scanning them also:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Around 5-6 months they drop down into the abdomen from the pelvis. When they are deep down there and not yet big enough they can be hard to feel/ reach.

aa cow calved, shes a bit hormonal so will leave her alone for a while, she would have been around 4 and a half months when scanned.... -he said she was empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

aa cow calved, shes a bit hormonal so will leave her alone for a while,
    Typical female leaving them alone works sometimes!!

td5man wrote: »
    Typical female leaving them alone works sometimes!!
    says the expert:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

says the expert:D
    12 years

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Lads/ladies what's the best way to get a calf to suck the mother. The calf is 4 days old, strong enough to run around but is stubborn when it comes to sucking the mother, at the moment it is getting milk via teet and bucket but is there another way, not a fan of stomach tube!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Mommy in heading gate and use lamb feeding bottle to get calf on teat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

saranac1 wrote: »
    Lads/ladies what's the best way to get a calf to suck the mother. The calf is 4 days old, strong enough to run around but is stubborn when it comes to sucking the mother, at the moment it is getting milk via teet and bucket but is there another way, not a fan of stomach tube!

Let the calve get hungry he won't be long learning how to suck his mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

you can get an injection in the vets, that will get him sucking. i cant think what its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

1chippy wrote: »
    you can get an injection in the vets, that will get him sucking. i cant think what its called.
    It's an appetite stimulant but I can't think of the name of it. If the calf is trying to suck but just hasn't any power/action in his tongue 2cc of selenium under the skin might set him right, has worked for me in the past on several occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Just in at 5 to 10 from taking soil samples by tourch light. The joys of part time farming!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Just in at 5 to 10 from taking soil samples by tourch light. The joys of part time farming!
    Part time during the day,Full time at night!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

It's an appetite stimulant but I can't think of the name of it. If the calf is trying to suck but just hasn't any power/action in his tongue 2cc of selenium under the skin might set him right, has worked for me in the past on several occasions.
    colvasone is what i use cheap too

caseman wrote: »
    Let the calve get hungry he won't be long learning how to suck his mother.

This is true but I would recommend giving electrolyte as you cut back the milk from the calf. The minute he starts to get dehydrated your on a loosing streak. . The injection the lads are talking about is a good job too.

Check that he teat he's using isn't too free, it makes them lazy as they can get the milk easier from the teat on the bucket than sucking the cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

1 Straw of Texan Gie - Price €650 :D
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4559310

Mane Cavan Ba******s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You'dwant to split it 3 ways;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

second aa cow calved that was scanned not in calf, she had a pb bull, one yesterday evening also had a bull, fine calves.... sometimes you get lucky:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stand on!!

stand on!! wrote: »

I wouldn't be wasting too much money on it. The guy stands to make €485k after prizes when he sells the 2000 tickets - this gives him over €12k per acre for his land.

What happens if he doesn't sell the 2000 tickets? Will he refund you? He doesn't mention it?

Why does he have no mention of having gotten a Garda Permit for it?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/act/pub/0002/index.html#zza2y1956

I think that there is also a notice in there that the permit holder is not allowed to get personal profit from a draw.

The Gardai love closing down Schemes like this!

Think I'll take my money and invest in a nice pyramid scheme instead :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I wonder will he buy a few tickets himself.:D

Mumbo Jumbo beleifs of some farmers.

I'm continually shocked at what some lads believe or choose to believe.
    I had a lad down looking at some sucks I bought and he was horrified that I was letting them have rolled barley. He said it will bust and sicken them and lie in them until it kills them. I find it handy for starting calves as they seem to love the taste and smell. Actually we feed it to near all animals from chickens to pigs to weanlings, haven't seen one burst yet! He even tried to tell me that the bit of ringworm we have was from feeding barley.
    I was in the same lads yard a few years ago and he was giving out that the crows ****e was sickening his calves, he choose to believe this rather than washing out teat drinkers after feed time, they were all crusty as mouldy from old milk.
    Some lads believe any auld rubbish, like detail or keys fluid down the troath to cure a scour, can you imagine how that goes on a calfs stomach.

• Advertisement

I had a lad down looking at some sucks I bought and he was horrified that I was letting them have rolled barley. He said it will bust and sicken them and lie in them until it kills them. I find it handy for starting calves as they seem to love the taste and smell. Actually we feed it to near all animals from chickens to pigs to weanlings, haven't seen one burst yet! He even tried to tell me that the bit of ringworm we have was from feeding barley.
    I was in the same lads yard a few years ago and he was giving out that the crows ****e was sickening his calves, he choose to believe this rather than washing out teat drinkers after feed time, they were all crusty as mouldy from old milk.
    Some lads believe any auld rubbish, like dettol or jeys fluid down the troat to cure a scour, can you imagine how that goes on a calfs stomach and intestine, irritating everything and causing god knows what harm.

bbam wrote: »

People forget that the process of mixing ration or manufacturing feed nuts is only a couple of decades old. Before that, most animals were fed on whole (maybe rolled) grain - whatever was grown in the area at the time. It didn't do the animals any harm back then, why would it harm them now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Some lads believe any auld rubbish, like dettol or jeys fluid down the troat to cure a scour, can you imagine how that goes on a calfs stomach and intestine, irritating everything and causing god knows what harm.
    Teagasc in grange did trials years ago comparing bought ration and barley/soya/mins mix to young calves and the barley/soya/mins ration outperformed them all
    I never used anything else when I was rearing calves

when we are on that subject what age would you start feeding ration to calves

i give them a small bit once they are 2 weeks old, helps take pressure off cow, some lads are horrified at this and say they should be at least 4 weeks old

thoughts

any of you fellow posh farmers ever gone on week camping holiday to france, if so would you recommend it, married 10 yrs this year and was thinking of taking herself and kids away for week

feckin pricey though:D and who said romance was dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

any of you fellow posh farmers ever gone on week camping holiday to france, if so would you recommend it, married 10 yrs this year and was thinking of taking herself and kids away for week

feckin pricey though:D and who said romance was dead
    we go every year to a camp site but stay in the mobile home on site.its great for the kids ,as they make new friends,and we fill up on wine:D,yes its a good hols but every one has there own ideas of what they want out of a hols,what part are you going too.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    we go every year to a camp site but stay in the mobile home on site.its great for the kids ,as they make new friends,and we fill up on wine:D,yes its a good hols but every one has there own ideas of what they want out of a hols,what part are you going too.

place called "Domaine de Kerlane", same thing mobile home on a camp site, its good value but the feckin ferry over is dear, was going to go into Roscoff which is 1 hr away
    Where did u go too and what age were the little ones

We've done France for the last ten years and wouldn't dream of any other holiday until the girls can pack and carry their own suitcases.
    We've been down the west coast to Bordaux and inland campsites too.
    Le Littoral and Sequoia parc are the most memorable from a fun and quality perspective and were going back to the latter for the third time in the last six years.
    It's the best possible family holiday for us, stuff the car full and bring the bikes on the back. still drinking bottles of wine from France, nothing as nice as the clink of cheap quality wine on the way home. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

second aa cow calved that was scanned not in calf, she had a pb bull, one yesterday evening also had a bull, fine calves.... sometimes you get lucky:cool:

Who's the Daddy do ya know?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Who's the Daddy do ya know?

our pb angus stock bull that was running with them for the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

our pb angus stock bull that was running with them for the summer

You're laughing so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement