Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

reilig wrote: »
    I wouldn't be wasting too much money on it. The guy stands to make €485k after prizes when he sells the 2000 tickets - this gives him over €12k per acre for his land.

What happens if he doesn't sell the 2000 tickets? Will he refund you? He doesn't mention it?

Why does he have no mention of having gotten a Garda Permit for it?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/act/pub/0002/index.html#zza2y1956

I think that there is also a notice in there that the permit holder is not allowed to get personal profit from a draw.

The Gardai love closing down Schemes like this!

Think I'll take my money and invest in a nice pyramid scheme instead :eek::eek::eek:

Cant think of the horse gambler that done the same in the early ninties or late eighties, he was involved in a number of betting coups. think he got away with his raffle for his mansion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Cant think of the horse gambler that done the same in the early ninties or late eighties, he was involved in a number of betting coups. think he got away with his raffle for his mansion

Barney Curley in Middleton Park in Westmeath, I remember the punters arriving in helicopters to the draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just registered my first calves on agfood.ie, very handy isnt it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

hugo29 wrote: »
    any of you fellow posh farmers ever gone on week camping holiday to france, if so would you recommend it, married 10 yrs this year and was thinking of taking herself and kids away for week

feckin pricey though:D and who said romance was dead

If you are like me and think that kids do feck all the first few days back to school, you can shave a couple hundred off the ferry tickets by coming back first days of sept. Or book now, rosslare to cherbourg return with a small campervan (VW Transporter) Out august 20th, back 3 sept, 580 Euro

Should add that this depends on the number of children, as the bloody cabins cost a third of the total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

pakalasa wrote: »
    1 Straw of Texan Gie - Price €650 :D
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4559310

Mane Cavan Ba******s
    No foal no fee?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

any of you fellow posh farmers ever gone on week camping holiday to france, if so would you recommend it, married 10 yrs this year and was thinking of taking herself and kids away for week

we go camping every year for the holidays. we have been in Biarritz, near Nice, tuscany in Italy and lake garda in italy. going back to tuscany in italy this year. biarritz was lovely not too warm but ok. nice was very expensive. italy is lovely ,not too dear, but can get very warm. 2 years ago the car registered 46 degrees the day we were leaving.i would recommend them highly everything is laid on on the campsites. personally we use a company called KELAIR based in ballinasloe. find them good and not too dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'm gonna be the awkward one. We tried the French camping thing once and hated every minute of it. We flew to Nice and stayed around 60k west. Expensive, uncomfortable accomodation. Expensive unwelcoming restaurants to the point we felt we'd have been more welcome with a couple of dogs than kids going into them. Far too hot, and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. In a sentence never ever again.

We go to the Algarve most years for the same money only difference is we get a good sized apartment that sleeps 6, 2 bedrooms and a couple of pullouts. Fully equiped kitchen, air con, in a nice well managed small complex. Apartment cleaned and restocked with towels and linen a couple of times a week compared to a list of tasks you are expected to perform before you leave in order to get your deposit back from the campsite. Child friendly welcoming restaurants to the point that some have play areas close to the dining area. Great value in the restaurants also. Supermarkets significantly cheaper than home as against more expensive if anything in France. Staff almost every where are happy to get your custom compared to Gallic indifference if you're lucky downright rudeness if you're not.

The French trip was so bad that TBH the brother-in-law and I spent a while working out the logistics of moving the two crews across the south of France and down through Spain to our usual hunting grounds. It was a close thing as to whether we stayed or left.Don't do it Hugo think of the kids.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm gonna be the awkward one. We tried the French camping thing once and hated every minute of it. We flew to Nice and stayed around 60k west. Expensive, uncomfortable accomodation. Expensive unwelcoming restaurants to the point we felt we'd have been more welcome with a couple of dogs than kids going into them. Far too hot, and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. In a sentence never ever again.

We go to the Algarve most years for the same money only difference is we get a good sized apartment that sleeps 6, 2 bedrooms and a couple of pullouts. Fully equiped kitchen, air con, in a nice well managed small complex. Apartment cleaned and restocked with towels and linen a couple of times a week compared to a list of tasks you are expected to perform before you leave in order to get your deposit back from the campsite. Child friendly welcoming restaurants to the point that some have play areas close to the dining area. Great value in the restaurants also. Supermarkets significantly cheaper than home as against more expensive if anything in France. Staff almost every where are happy to get your custom compared to Gallic indifference if you're lucky downright rudeness if you're not.

The French trip was so bad that TBH the brother-in-law and I spent a while working out the logistics of moving the two crews across the south of France and down through Spain to our usual hunting grounds. It was a close thing as to whether we stayed or left.Don't do it Hugo think of the kids.:D

Indeed.. I've heard that said of Niece before, friends have a house there and really the locals don't like tourists..
    1. We always bring the car, the girls, now 10 and 4, get to throw in whatever stuff they want to bring so they have their favourite stuff with them. And we bring our bikes too.
    2. travelling by Ferry takes the whole hanging round the airport with small kids out of the equation. You wait in your own car, check-in is out the window of the car, you park on the ferry and carry your overnight bag up to your pre-booked cabin. Stress free.
    3. Along the west coast tourists are welcomed, they are the bread and butter and we've found they know it, and work to this ethos.
    4. You can judge the temperature along the west cost very well.. Brittany will be like Cork on a really good summer, Bordeaux will be much more Mediterranean.
    5. The mobiles on the campsites are nice but the very smallest ones are cramped, we had on one year and it was hard going. Best spend a few bob on a middle range one.
    6. Choose a campsite that doesn't do private ownership on site. It tends to be a bit nosier than an all rental site.
    7. We book a gas BBQ, do a huge shopping in the nearest super-u and we would tend only to eat out a few times when were there, along the west coast restraunts are good value, you'll pay in any top end place but ordinary restraunts along the sea front are very reasonable as competition is tight.
    8. Any campsite I've been on in the last ten years have the option of a cleaning fee. It ranges from €20 to €50 and you don't have to do anything before you leave, just don't bring anything home that's theirs and they're happy. Good value in my opinion.

But its not for everyone, my sister went a few years ago and didn't like it. It all started poorly when they picked up the rental car and drove for 2 hours in the wrong direction while the sat-nav was telling them to turn around.. :eek:

We booked again last NOv, and pay off a bit every month.. Roll on June !

If I was asked to fly out to an apartment in a resort for a sun holiday, I swear I'd rather stay home and pull ragwort !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

bbam wrote: »
    Indeed.. I've heard that said of Niece before, friends have a house there and really the locals don't like tourists..
    1. We always bring the car, the girls, now 10 and 4, get to throw in whatever stuff they want to bring so they have their favourite stuff with them. And we bring our bikes too.
    2. travelling by Ferry takes the whole hanging round the airport with small kids out of the equation. You wait in your own car, check-in is out the window of the car, you park on the ferry and carry your overnight bag up to your pre-booked cabin. Stress free.
    3. Along the west coast tourists are welcomed, they are the bread and butter and we've found they know it, and work to this ethos.
    4. You can judge the temperature along the west cost very well.. Brittany will be like Cork on a really good summer, Bordeaux will be much more Mediterranean.
    5. The mobiles on the campsites are nice but the very smallest ones are cramped, we had on one year and it was hard going. Best spend a few bob on a middle range one.
    6. Choose a campsite that doesn't do private ownership on site. It tends to be a bit nosier than an all rental site.
    7. We book a gas BBQ, do a huge shopping in the nearest super-u and we would tend only to eat out a few times when were there, along the west coast restraunts are good value, you'll pay in any top end place but ordinary restraunts along the sea front are very reasonable as competition is tight.

But its not for everyone, my sister went a few years ago and didn't like it. It all started poorly when they picked up the rental car and drove for 2 hours in the wrong direction while the sat-nav was telling them to turn around.. :eek:

We booked again last NOv, and pay off a bit every month.. Roll on June !

That was the only saving grace the year we went at least the ladies had done the booking and we (the men) were absolved of all blame for the state of the mobiles. The ladies haven't been allowed to make any decisions in this regard since without at least running it past us which is not how things normally work;). One thing that our trip showed was that the ratings system for the campsites is not as accurate as it could be. One of the couples on our trip had done the campsite thing the previous year and the campsite we stayed in had the same rating as the one they had stayed in previously but there was a huge difference in quality between the two certainly accomodation wise. We were happy enough heading out that the campsite should be of a good standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    just registered my first calves on agfood.ie, very handy isnt it:D

Have you not been doing it online all along?

Its the dog's nuts!

Its handy to be able to type in the dam's last 4 numbers and just pick her out. Also handy that you can save the sire's details.

I'm using it for at least 5 years now. I could never go back to the paper trail.

Are you still keeping a herd register?

• Advertisement

nothing better than going back to somewhere you have been before, especially with kids, we are going to benalmadena soon it will be our 4th time going.... we know the routine, nothing worse than whingy kids and stressed out parents- disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

champion charolais commercial 2012, great bit of selling:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h8I1dhsdXw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Its the dog's nuts!

Its handy to be able to type in the dam's last 4 numbers and just pick her out. Also handy that you can save the sire's details.

I'm using it for at least 5 years now. I could never go back to the paper trail.

i have to say i agree, its the bizz,

Its the dog's nuts!

had been using agrinet to register them... handy as i have the freeze brands on it iykwim, used agfood yesterday to register the suckler calves, will do it today for my ones

7 times i have just rang eurotags before i spoke to someone:o:o fantastic service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

7 times i have just rang eurotags before i spoke to someone:o:o fantastic service

Thats the level of service that you will get anywhere there is no competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, there's no reason why it couldn't be split betwwen 2 companies and they both working off the same database. They'd answer the phone then.

another set of twin "calves " last night:cool:

fook sake after all that rain today think i might have to start posting on the depression thread, its not a joke anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Finally the top man is on the news now john keep the pressure on get that message out and keep preaching it reassure the public the farmers are not to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

fook sake after all that rain today think i might have to start posting on the depression thread, its not a joke anymore

Weather forecast on the phone up until midday saying it was to dry up from Wednesday onwards, now it's rain everyday until Sunday !:-( I might be joining you on the depression thread !

Bodacious wrote: »
    Weather forecast on the phone up until midday saying it was to dry up from Wednesday onwards, now it's rain everyday until Sunday !:-( I might be joining you on the depression thread !
    was talking to a few people and most of us keep the bright side out but after a day of rain like today on already saturated land it does get you down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

had been using agrinet to register them... handy as i have the freeze brands on it iykwim, used agfood yesterday to register the suckler calves, will do it today for my ones

registered the first batch of calves sat night , only posted the samples to enfer yesterday

got the passports to day... no way could they have the results

mistake?

all cows would have had a calf tested last year if that made any difference

jomoloney wrote: »
    registered the first batch of calves sat night , only posted the samples to enfer yesterday

mistake?

i have been ringing them every day for the last week in enfer, as a sample is missing, they got the samples i posted on monday , yesterday and i had cards today... great service when it works right , posted a single sample retest 2 weeks ago today and they still havent got it:mad: so had to order another tag today, calf will have 5 tags with this new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

jomoloney wrote: »

mistake?

Passports will come anyway, however you cannot move them 'till you get results.
    We had a positive this week and I am really confused as heiter was ear notched last year and was clear. We did all calves last year therefore should not have had a P.I. on farm. We must have missed one.....heifer blood tested today need to wait 3 weeks to test calf as it's a heifer and we would like to keep her.

• Advertisement

delaval wrote: »
    Passports will come anyway, however you cannot move them 'till you get results.
    We had a positive this week and I am really confused as heiter was ear notched last year and was clear. We did all calves last year therefore should not have had a P.I. on farm. We must have missed one.....heifer blood tested today need to wait 3 weeks to test calf as it's a heifer and we would like to keep her.
    you shouldbe ok , wehad similar last year, calf will probably have to be disposed of

you shouldbe ok , wehad similar last year, calf will probably have to be disposed of
    I would dispose of immediatly but as herd is "clear" I will re test calf. |There is no way she came in contact with any neighbouring animals:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've afew bvd samples sitting in the fridge last 2days, another few calves due in a day or so, how long can I leave them there for or should I get them in the post asap?

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've afew bvd samples sitting in the fridge last 2days, another few calves due in a day or so, how long can I leave them there for or should I get them in the post asap?
    i post them often it only 55c

I post Mon and Wed not to have in post over wend. They are fine for a week if in fridge.............not as long on the dash of the car:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

Yea been to france several times but more recently flew to North Spain - Reus and then a taxi to Salou.Loved it as no carhire or driving stress, Flew from Cork once and Shannon so no real Airport delays.
    In Salou theres a fab campsite that rents Chalets for about 600 per week-Camping La Siesta. Chalets are high spec and not as claustriphobic as Mobiles.Site itself is quiet and very central.Great pools and slides and terrace bar. Resort busy but we like that loads to do and all in walking distance.Got 4 Ryanair flights return for about E600 so all in for E1200 TG for Michael O Leary.Sadly last year prob our last cos kids grown up now and going other places but my advice is france or spain both fab and do it while kids go with you if you have to beg borrow or steal the money.you can live there for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Up to 7 days in the fridge I'm told.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Up to 7 days in the fridge I'm told.
    i have put some samples through the washing machine and sent them off, worked out ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Muckit wrote: »

extremely generous of that man, it is nice to see things like that happening.

We spent the day dosing and vaccinating maiden heifers and saw no rain all day. It only started at 5pm and rained for an hour.
    Took a delivery of urea this am, could really do with a few dry days to get some out. I am thinking of going with full bag.

delaval wrote: »
    We spent the day dosing and vaccinating maiden heifers and saw no rain all day. It only started at 5pm and rained for an hour.
    Took a delivery of urea this am, could really do with a few dry days to get some out. I am thinking of going with full bag.
    was up at 1 am calving a cow ,no rain , up at 6 it was lashing, was wet through by 8am, rained consistentedly til about 5pm:mad:

off to bed now, expecting valentines breakfast in bed.... not:o

Off to bed early on the eve of Valentines maybe you'll get a treat;);)
    Good article in Farming indo. yesterday re Valentines........those were the days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Just back from Astro turf and I am as stiff as a poker, havnt played any ball now for 3 years and was getting pestered by the lads to come back for the football this year. It's going to be a long road to getting fit enough for it again :(

• Advertisement

Just back from Astro turf and I am as stiff as a poker, havnt played any ball now for 3 years and was getting pestered by the lads to come back for the football this year. It's going to be a long road to getting fit enough for it again :(

bought a threadmill. do 20 minutes running while doing the dinner. increasing speed gradually. its a killer. legs are wrecked

I send them as done its easiest, if they left in fridge could end up in a stew:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

bought a threadmill. do 20 minutes running while doing the dinner. increasing speed gradually. its a killer. legs are wrecked
    milking cows, dropping kids off at school and cooking din ner on a threadmill. Any sisters whelan?

As I told wife I will be lucky to see bed, 2 girls on the point of popping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Is that where the term "fast food" came from?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I do chin-ups in the milking parlour and do squats and lunges with a bag of meal on my shoulders.
    Thinking of getting some of my dublin mates down over the summer an running a boot camp flipping tractor tires and the like :D

In all serriousness though, with quad bikes and front end loaders etc. I dont think a lot of farmers are getting enough cardio exercise (even if they have plenty of stength) could end up being a big problem down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

anybody take their family to one of these parks in england for a holiday-any one particularly good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

nothing like a bit of double entendre w1... an old one but a good one " how do u like your eggs in the morning" he asks, "unfertilised" she replies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Quick slow quick quick slow anyone remember that ad

• Advertisement

I do chin-ups in the milking parlour and do squats and lunges with a bag of meal on my shoulders.
    Thinking of getting some of my dublin mates down over the summer an running a boot camp flipping tractor tires and the like :D

In all serriousness though, with quad bikes and front end loaders etc. I dont think a lot of farmers are getting enough cardio exercise (even if they have plenty of stength) could end up being a big problem down the road
    ye, i love the walk to bring the cows in from the paddocks- if they ever get out to a paddock again with all this rain:mad:- was disenfecting some sheds yesterday , normally 8 litres is 1 shed, decided to be brave and fill up the knapksack 16ltres to do 2 pens, sales rep arrived just after i started , he was all talk and me with the full knapsack on my back:o hurty back this morning:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement