Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

whelan1 wrote: »
    i have put some samples through the washing machine and sent them off, worked out ok

Ah but you washed all the BVD out of them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

off to bed now, expecting valentines breakfast in bed.... not:o
    Baa humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyone still sculling cattle?

I have been asked by a neighbour of inlaws to scull some weinlings. His vet won't do it cause he's elderly, but he will supply the injection. Last time I sculled, it was with the wire. Have used a thinning saw in the past too, but didn't like it. Has anyone used one of those specific sculling saws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

last time we skulled an animal vet did it with the guillotine/pliers/whatever you call it.

Get the stun machine as well makes the job safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

reilig wrote: »

I have been asked by a neighbour of inlaws to scull some weinlings. His vet won't do it cause he's elderly, but he will supply the injection. Last time I sculled, it was with the wire. Have used a thinning saw in the past too, but didn't like it. Has anyone used one of those specific sculling saws?

Its been a few years now but one escapes the dehorner every now and then. Use the tenon saw here but hate doing the job. Have one bullock to do the next day hes in the crush :(

dzer2 wrote: »
    Get the stun machine as well makes the job safer.

I believe they are illegal at this stage!

last time we skulled an animal vet did it with the guillotine/pliers/whatever you call it.

Was that with a barnes dehorner?

270-270-1--151004.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Last time was a few years ago. Had been in the hospital, and about 10 were not dehorned. Local "expert" give me a hand. Locked each in the crush gate, then put a halter on their head, and tied it to the tractor. Backed away GENTLY until there was just enough pressure to keep their neck straight. Injected, let off the strain from the rope, waited for anestetic to work, put a pull on the rope again and was able to take then off with the tenon saw in seconds. These were weanleans, and there was no hole up the horn. No bleeding to speak off, and the few loonies I had were not able to swing their heads about while we worked. Could have injected them all in one go, but would have had the problem of getting them all caught a second time.

I believe they are illegal at this stage!

Oops I use it with the injection a lot safer for me and the animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Last time was a few years ago. Had been in the hospital, and about 10 were not dehorned. Local "expert" give me a hand. Locked each in the crush gate, then put a halter on their head, and tied it to the tractor. Backed away GENTLY until there was just enough pressure to keep their neck straight. Injected, let off the strain from the rope, waited for anestetic to work, put a pull on the rope again and was able to take then off with the tenon saw in seconds. These were weanleans, and there was no hole up the horn. No bleeding to speak off, and the few loonies I had were not able to swing their heads about while we worked. Could have injected them all in one go, but would have had the problem of getting them all caught a second time.
    Did I read this right???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

if an animal needs skulling round here we get the vet, cant believe lads do it themselves, at least if theres a bleeder etc vet will come back foc and sort it, also cant believe some of ye are on a public forum talking of tying animals to tractors etc, its not an image the ordinary joe soap wants to see/hear

if an animal needs skulling round here we get the vet, cant believe lads do it themselves, at least if theres a bleeder etc vet will come back foc and sort it, also cant believe some of ye are on a public forum talking of tying animals to tractors etc, its not an image the ordinary joe soap wants to see/hear

Imagine what they get up to in the bedroom :D:D

Agree with this.

The average joe soap think we are all rich moaning lay-abouts, collecting vast sums of money from europe, driving new 4x4's and preventing their kids from getting a college place. I was just responding to Religs post asking for any advice, expierences etc. He did mention that the vet is not inclined to do the job, due to age/ risk of injury etc. The method we used did not injure the animals, nor ourselves.

does the injection not have to go between veins or nerves or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

On the other hand I have seen jobs done by vets that are disgraceful. Often buy animals that had only recently being skulled by a vet so that they could be sold through a mart. not hair clipped out of the way, rope used instead of rubber bands and riddled with infection.

On the other hand I have seen jobs done by vets that are disgraceful. Often buy animals that had only recently being skulled by a vet so that they could be sold through a mart. not hair clipped out of the way, rope used instead of rubber bands and riddled with infection.
    still would prefer to have vet do it, this crack of tying animals to tractors:eek::eek: ffs this is 2013...

if they are riddledwith ifection should the seller not have copped this? and treated accordingly

Well Whelan1, I would rather have the animal secured, than be lying in Our Lady of Lourdes with a broken arm, or minus an eyeball or a mouthfull of teeth. I did specify the GENTLE use of restraint.

• Advertisement

Well Whelan1, I would rather have the animal secured, than be lying in Our Lady of Lourdes with a broken arm, or minus an eyeball or a mouthfull of teeth. I did specify the GENTLE use of restraint.
    well each to their own, i will stick to getting the vet to do it rather than messing thanks

does the injection not have to go between veins or nerves or something?

Don't know. Should have clarified that the vet will inject them for him. And he'll pull veins of bleeders when complete but he just isn't fit for sculling (by his own admission).

Don't know. Should have clarified that the vet will inject them for him. And he'll pull veins of bleeders when complete but he just isn't fit for sculling (by his own admission).
    thank you... `at least there will be a vet present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

But its not messing. We use a shears with anaesthetic. They'd be skulled in seconds and no hardship on man nor beast. Why do you think the vet would be so much better? You could get a young vet out that is fresh and never handled an animal unless it came to them in a cage.

We only skull when they are bought in as we do all with the dehorner but find it little hardship.

as i said each to their own

But its not messing. We use a shears with anaesthetic. They'd be skulled in seconds and no hardship on man nor beast. Why do you think the vet would be so much better? You could get a young vet out that is fresh and never handled an animal unless it came to them in a cage.

We only skull when they are bought in as we do all with the dehorner but find it little hardship.

Whatever you say, say nothing, when you talk about you know what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

You be fine with vet on standby to pull veins

i use a 8" piece of baler twine with a loop at either end and put a heavy duty cable tie as a ratchet at the forehead and tighten it up .... i also leave the gas iron disbudder on when i need to go very close and close the veins with it, just hold clean cloth against it and apply iron and repeat.

Good headstall and take it as tight back on the side bar and a belly band rope looped around the top bar to stop them getting leverage or going down on ya

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

if a vet isn't able to skull a beast what chance would he/she have with a cow with twist of the womb or a DA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

we sheared the horns on 10 weanlings a few weeks back. would never let a vet or a saw around them again. The last few times we had the vet i ended up cutting them myself for the vet. we got a friend who brought in various shears from the states. we had them done in minutes and no issue with any of them.
    I really hate skulling animals but there always seem to be a few either misseed or bought in that need doing, as for tying to the tractor i have to say i done it a few times.

• Advertisement

1chippy wrote: »
    we sheared the horns on 10 weanlings a few weeks back. would never let a vet or a saw around them again. The last few times we had the vet i ended up cutting them myself for the vet. we got a friend who brought in various shears from the states. we had them done in minutes and no issue with any of them.
    I really hate skulling animals but there always seem to be a few either misseed or bought in that need doing, as for tying to the tractor i have to say i done it a few times.
    I do a few here every year with a saw, never had a bad bleeder yet. Pity i never thought of using the tractor although the f***ers that i was doing i probably would of kept pulling.

jomoloney wrote: »
    if a vet isn't able to skull a beast what chance would he/she have with a cow with twist of the womb or a DA

None at all. He's in his 80's. Still out testing and you have to do the work for him. Its greed if you ask me. I wouldn't be having him around here.

None at all. He's in his 80's. Still out testing and you have to do the work for him. Its greed if you ask me. I wouldn't be having him around here.
    Is he the same lad that sold land for €13m a couple of years ago?

td5man wrote: »
    Is he the same lad that sold land for €13m a couple of years ago?

Don't know to be honest. I'm not a local in his area, but I'll ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Don't know to be honest. I'm not a local in his area, but I'll ask.
    Our vet tested up to two years ago and he was up in the eighties , my father would hold the tail , the brother would hold the bottles and pass them to him while I would shine the torch under the tail so that he might see where the vein was .
    He was in hospital last year and we had to swop over , testing took at least half the time and the reading about half an hour .

1chippy wrote: »

Did ye use a local anaesthetic chip?

• Advertisement

We have one of those near us... A licence to print money ... All cash in hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Jayus h chr!!! An 80 year old vet, are ya sure he can even see the needle never mind where to inject them

Get an able bodied vet, rope halter, tie the head sideways back to the nearest upright and saw like fcuk, under anaesthetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

hugo29 wrote: »
    Jayus h chr!!! An 80 year old vet, are ya sure he can even see the needle never mind where to inject them

Get an able bodied vet, rope halter, tie the head sideways back to the nearest upright and saw like fcuk, under anaesthetic

A local Vet to me was killed 2 year ago testing for a neighbour. A shocking nice man he was too. I cant remember his age but it was north of 70 and could have been near 80. Handling cattle is a job you need to be in the whole of your health for. Reactions need to be sharp. Sometimes you dont get a second chance.

I rang the Dept of Ag last year to clarify the legal position on skulling and after several calls to the Dept Vet, she still couldnt enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MOOVAN

Just been out to the cubical house ,what a most beautiful night, all the calved cows are asleep on there clean dusted cubicals after feasting in the paddock (they can come in at night if they choose,the c-house open for them).Not a peep out of them all curled up .What a lovely sight.And there is nothing due to calve tonight so.....sleep for us all tonight:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Bizzum wrote: »
    A local Vet to me was killed 2 year ago testing for a neighbour. A shocking nice man he was too. I cant remember his age but it was north of 70 and could have been near 80. Handling cattle is a job you need to be in the whole of your health for. Reactions need to be sharp. Sometimes you dont get a second chance.

I rang the Dept of Ag last year to clarify the legal position on skulling and after several calls to the Dept Vet, she still couldnt enlighten me.

HSA guy told us age was a large factor in many farm deaths. A lot of them would be "farmer badly maimed" other than the advanced age of the victims. More to do with strength and fitness than speed of reaction.

Another one for ye, not totally farming related, but . . . .

Do any of ye keep a polytunnel for growing veg and fruit for the house? The OH is mad to get one. She wants to grow tomatoes, strawberries, peppers and herbs.

Is it worth having one?

I'm not keen on spending €400 to €500 on one that might only be used for 1 season. Have seen cheaper, smaller ones online and might buy one with the intention of getting 1 or 2 years out of it.

Made one for €80 euro 8mtr x 5mtr 5yr plastic cost €157 great value if you are going to use it. You need to allow a least 1 and half hours per day starting up after that about an hour a day. You will have lettuce all year round Tomatoes will need sunshine to ripen. Get the one that has a rise before the curve that way you can use all the area under the plastic

dzer2 wrote: »
    Made one for €80 euro 8mtr x 5mtr 5yr plastic cost €157 great value if you are going to use it. You need to allow a least 1 and half hours per day starting up after that about an hour a day. You will have lettuce all year round Tomatoes will need sunshine to ripen. Get the one that has a rise before the curve that way you can use all the area under the plastic

I'm looking at something about half the size of that with 5 year plastic for €150 including frame and plastic. I'm not keen to make a huge investment into something like this until I see that it is being used. I have looked at some forums where people grow strawberries and other berries in empty plastic bottles hanging from the roof rails of polytunnels and they seem to work very well. Thanks for the info. Think we might take the chance and try it out for one year at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There's a channel that runs from the eyeball to the horn. You inject into that AFAIK.

I use the saw wire too. They can buck all they want, you just have to make sure you don't go too severe. I trim the hair well back with a scissors so I can see what I'm at. I don't know how lads used tenon saws, real break your wrist territory.

I always used halter tied to a nearby gate. The tractor idea bit severe, but I'm liken the idea of a constant strain forward to get a both sides. A ratchet strap tied to the rope might be a better option.

I've a few I bought in that are showing horns. I want to do them before I sell them.

@whelan. There simply isn't the money in beef farming as you know to be running to the vet every 5min. Farmers need to keep skilled up in these tasks. Once you use your head, assess the risk, take adequate precautions and work safely there is no need to fear.

Muckit wrote: »
    There's a channel that runs from the eyeball to the horn. You inject into that AFAIK.

I use the saw wire too. They can buck all they want, you just have to make sure you don't go too severe. I trim the hair well back with a scissors so I can see what I'm at. I don't know how lads used tenon saws, real break your wrist territory.

I always used halter tied to a nearby gate. The tractor idea bit severe, but I'm liken the idea of a constant strain forward to get a both sides. A ratchet strap tied to the rope might be a better option.

I've a few I bought in that are showing horns. I want to do them before I sell them.

@whelan. There simply isn't the money in beef farming as you know to be running to the vet every 5min. Farmers need to keep skilled up in these tasks. Once you use your head, assess the risk, take adequate precautions and work safely there is no need to fear.
    i wouldnt have the confidence to skull them, just one of the things i wont do, i will ring bulls no problem,.. its just if theres a bleeder i would be glad tohave the vet to fall back on.... as i said each to their own.... when we are ringign the bulls we put a halter on them tie it to bar of crush, then tie another rope around the halter around the bar of the crush and work away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just passed tb test:cool::cool:, first bunch gone to grass straight off the rape and kale.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

leg wax wrote: »
    just passed tb test:cool::cool:, first bunch gone to grass straight off the rape and kale.:):)

What does grass look like :D Havnt seen any in a long time :rolleyes:

Hope to squeeze some yearlings and then to grass,Even trying to dry wet clothes in the last few weeks was tough not mind trying to dry land!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

leg wax wrote: »

Good to hear .
    Got call of Department yesterday . Cow we sold 3 months ago in the mart is after showing up in the factory with tb :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement