Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

farmerjack wrote: »
    +1 on the vice grips only job, clamp it on leave her for a minute and then attach the cluster, it's saving me a lot of hassle this year.
    think i might try that, had a total fooker in this morning, tightened up the row, she was kicking with her two feet, no one around to hold her tail, didnt help that the cow behind her is a lunatic-very nervous- either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

We had a heifer like that two years ago. She was suprisingly tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

That could be you when you hit 50 and the chaps all gone, and you sick to the hole of lambing ewes with that German virus thing or maybe you bought a hard calving bull and can't face anymore, or maybe bad sowing and harvest conditions. Yeah maybe when you get enough hardship you might say to yourself, "I'll have more out of it if I lodge the maps and spend nothing".

No point in being a busy fool.

I can see your point but take any other business model, say a small hardware shop in a local town. The owner has worked hard all his life and wants to retire, now he can sell it, lease it or give it to a son or daughter.
    If he was able to fill in a form that meant he could recieve an income because he worked hard 20 years ago he could just leave the shop there as a hobby and open for a couple of hours a day.
    This would mean that new blood would be kept out and the shop would be unproductive(ring any bells?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

mf240 wrote: »
    I can see your point but take any other business model, say a small hardware shop in a local town. The owner has worked hard all his life and wants to retire, now he can sell it, lease it or give it to a son or daughter.
    If he was able to fill in a form that meant he could recieve an income because he worked hard 20 years ago he could just leave the shop there as a hobby and open for a couple of hours a day.
    This would mean that new blood would be kept out and the shop would be unproductive(ring any bells?)
    I don't think scrapping the SFP or leveling it is going to be the magic wand that you think its going to be, is there many farms capable of being taken over from a 55yr old by a thirty something and the owner been given €25000/yr that he needs to live and when he gets to 66, himself and the missus can get €20000/yr pension and can amuse himself on his farm without pressure.....just giving an older persons point of view

lovely day here, hope i dont shoot myself in the foot by saying spring is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mf240 wrote: »

There's a lot assumptions, presumptions and if's in that post. TBH if someone can outline a coupled payment system to me that doesn't lead to inflated land and cattle prices as guys are chasing either or both in order to meet some sort of coupled quota requirement so's that they can draw their full SFP I'd probably support it. But having been through it before where a bullocks premium status was far more important than his grading potential and where tillage guys were paying stupid money for land that wasn't good enough for set-a-side I'm in no rush back to it. The current system is a bit like democracy it's absolutely the worst possible system apart from all of the other models that were tried.

I guarantee you that within 18 months of a coupled system being introduced, certainly after the second application date for SFP has passed, guys will be still bitching about armchair farmers, the bastards, rooking active farmers with extortinate rents and they'll be after resurecting another insult, that of chequebook farmers aimed mainly at larger dairy farmers who keep insisting on pay these rates for ground for cattle because they can "afford" it due to all of the cash they are making at dairying.

BTW I understand younger guys frustration, I've been there and remember well the feeling that the whole system was stacked against me. I'm not yet forty (just) so I'm not really talking about oul gods time either. If there's going to be change it eeds to be a biy better thought out than some flat rate coupled accident looking for someplace to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

whelan1 wrote: »
    I said that too this morning until i had to load 12 bullocks into a trailer to put onto some fresh ground.After an hour of chasing and shouting we got them moved. Then got a bull caught in a gate and of course had the car so no tools and finally found a hacksaw to cut a bar out so just in and the better half had a good feed for me so only starting to calm down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

No comment :D

was looking at the farming weather there, its looking good:D

:rolleyes: :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Certainly great drying in the next 7 days with a strong very cold ese wind.
    No growth though with harsh night frosts inland especially from midweek onwards and daytime temps in the East and midlands only about 5c at best by then.
    Soil temps will take a severe knocking.

whitebriar wrote: »
    Certainly great drying in the next 7 days with a strong very cold ese wind.
    No growth though with harsh night frosts inland especially from midweek onwards and daytime temps in the East and midlands only about 5c at best by then.
    Soil temps will take a severe knocking.
    badly needed here to dry out the land a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Great deheydrating conditions around here. It would dry the dung in a dog as a fella says.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

It will be great to get some dry weather for a change, this rain is tough on sheep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Chiliroses wrote: »
    It will be great to get some dry weather for a change, this rain is tough on sheep!

Feck the sheep, it's tough on me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Noticed 2 cows this week back in heat after being inseminated 12 days and 8 days beforehand .

One of these has came bulling 3 times in the last month . Just back from the yard and i see her standing again .
    They were proper strong standing heats each and every time.

Il contact the vet in the morning .

Any advice expierence .???? Would cysts on the ovaries cause irregular cycling?
    Was thinking Receptal after i inseminate her???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Just been out on the John Deere there mowing a strong paddock. I.e. cut the lawn with the ride on. Never marked the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

bbam wrote: »
    Feck the sheep, it's tough on me !
    ah but you'd feel sorry for them in their sodden woolly coats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

badly needed here to dry out the land a bit
    Who are you telling!
    I record rain on my part of the east coast and it's at 220.6mm since january 1 :eek: That's almost 9 inches and over a quarter of what I'd expect here in a full normal year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

At least we can stop standing the cows off. Both them and ourselves sick of it. Went to see maiden heifers today all looking well and ground surprisingly good despite all rain, was on the verge of housing them. Calving hectic at the moment so dry few days a bonus will worry about growth later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

There are lads around here will be looking for rain after 3 dry days

delaval wrote: »
    Vice grip high and tight on tail if not burgers you will miss a start or another problem looking after her. The thoughts of milking her will eventually put you off milking, seriously vice grip let me know how it goes
    Well Tim did it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

A bright dry evening like this would really lift the spirits , long may it last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

Good drying wind to day,touch of march about it,left some weanlings out yesterday,they even look better to day,hope to let more out wednesday,good for two legged and four legged!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

As I always said I would love to see SFP gone, but my business would also be gone with it even though I dont claim SFP, beef farming would be finished over night as its such a subsidized system as it currently stands. beef would have to be near €6 to make it pay for everyone in the line
    Whatever your opinion on SFP one interesting aspect is the political shenannigans. Cialios arrived last year and told anyone he met that there was going to be a flat payment system with minor adjustments ,Coveney and the IFA were straight out of the traps rubbishing this and pushing the historical model .
    FF in populist mode sent O Cuiv out around the country pushing the flat rate system to much popular support landing FG in a bind, blindsided by O Cuiv.
    You couldnt write it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

delaval wrote: »
    Well Tim did it work?

Like a treat :D:D:D! She hardly flinched this morning, I couldn't believe it, had to double check her number incase I had the wrong heifer ha! Kicked it off 2 or 3 times in the evening but nothing like last few days!

It was either the vice grips, or maybe she read td5s comment and didn't want to be tasty chops in a few months :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

so what do FG do but march Marian Harkin out to push the flat rate model providing Coveney with deniability .
    You couldnt write it

Uhm, Marian Harkin is independent.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Like a treat :D:D:D! She hardly flinched this morning, I couldn't believe it, had to double check her number incase I had the wrong heifer ha! Kicked it off 2 or 3 times in the evening but nothing like last few days!

It was either the vice grips, or maybe she read td5s comment and didn't want to be tasty chops in a few months :p
    going to try it in the morning;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

My father used to put the clamps off an old set of jumpleads on the upper part of heifers tails that were kicking.. thought he was mad but it works a treat..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

My father used to put the clamps off an old set of jump-leads on the upper part of heifers tails that were kicking.. thought he was mad but it works a treat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Uhm, Marian Harkin is independent.
    Oops ,corrected that, apologies to Marian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Noticed 2 cows this week back in heat after being inseminated 12 days and 8 days beforehand .

One of these has came bulling 3 times in the last month . Just back from the yard and i see her standing again .
    They were proper strong standing heats each and every time.

Il contact the vet in the morning .

Any advice expierence .???? Would cysts on the ovaries cause irregular cycling?
    Was thinking Receptal after i inseminate her???

I had one like that a few years ago, turned out she was in calf from first serve, showed full signs of being in heat 3 times after first serve but scanned in calf and held could get no explanation though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Oh don't tempt fate, please, actually brought kids to beach today for a walk, it amazing how much better one feels in nice weather

Timmaay wrote: »

Delighted to hear it worked we use d for years:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Reilig

You asked about a poly tunnel, I have a 4m x 6m, I find it a bit small, use it mainly for early carrots, lettuce, etc then cucumber & tomatoes, sowed spare cabbage & rocket in it in september, let turkeys & chickens in for the winter, they really clean out all the weeds, with an automatic watering, its really easy to look after, but it will go from tidy to over grown in a week or so, if ye grow out side it is an extension of this.

just put on a new plastic at the weekend, old one wasn't tight enough, tighened the feck out of it this time. I got my plastic form this crowd
    http://www.dplant.ie/
    just looked up a few online & rang, Brendan was the best priced & very helpful with all my questions about putting on the plastic
    The plastic was a little less in the UK, but if anything went wrong a fairly local could call in passing some day.
    Just my view

Rgds
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Askim wrote: »
    Reilig

You asked about a poly tunnel, I have a 4m x 6m, I find it a bit small, use it mainly for early carrots, lettuce, etc then cucumber & tomatoes, sowed spare cabbage & rocket in it in september, let turkeys & chickens in for the winter, they really clean out all the weeds, with an automatic watering, its really easy to look after, but it will go from tidy to over grown in a week or so, if ye grow out side it is an extension of this.

just put on a new plastic at the weekend, old one wasn't tight enough, tighened the feck out of it this time. I got my plastic form this crowd
    http://www.dplant.ie/
    just looked up a few online & rang, Brendan was the best priced & very helpful with all my questions about putting on the plastic
    The plastic was a little less in the UK, but if anything went wrong a fairly local could call in passing some day.
    Just my view

Rgds
    A

Thanks for that. I ordered a 6 x 4 over the weekend. I'll put it up over the next few weeks, but it'll be up to her indoors to get out and make it work. ;)

Quiet in here today.

td5man wrote: »
    Quiet in here today.

Nice bright weather.. perfect to get out and do ANYTHING outside for a change!!

Quiet in here today.
    its ok i'm back now:D

its ok i'm back now:D
    We really missed you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Quiet in here today.

I think the slurry blitz may have started:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think the slurry blitz may have started:D

Correct, cant beat a bit of dry weather brings a small bit of ease to the situation. Leaped out of bed the last 2 mornings, also bright until 6.30 is a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

umbilical coming tomorrow and just topped the last of the tanks up with pig slurry. brilliant drying round here the last few days, hopefully it will last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

1chippy wrote: »
    brilliant drying round here the last few days, hopefully it will last.

3 more weeks of drying like that and we'll get to put out a bit of slurry here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

watched king corn last night

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1112115/

food inc is also very good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286537/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

and
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765849/?ref_=sr_1
    if any one wants them i can point them in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

came home from work to find a whitehead cow had had a cracker of a parthenaise bull calf by IRX. Add the sunshine to the mix and I'm in great form!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

just in from agititating the tank and put the slurry tank on the other tractor. will be up at 6 tomorrow hitting it hard and im going to try to take 1/3 to half out so i dont have to be worrying about that problem for another bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Every tanker in the country must be spreading ****e. and everyone else is probably feeding calves. Busy on the farm #No activity here at all.

Anyone see the portable milking machines on DD? €1400 seems very expensive. We had one in the 60's when we farmed first. (of course I don't remember it).
    He's selling it as an end to expensive milk replacer. He's obviously never milked with one and carried a bucket of milk from a cow. Mixing milk replacer is a doddle in comparison.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the portable milking machines on DD? €1400 seems very expensive. We had one in the 60's when we farmed first. (of course I don't remember it).
    He's selling it as an end to expensive milk replacer. He's obviously never milked with one and carried a bucket of milk from a cow. Mixing milk replacer is a doddle in comparison.
    Buy a cow, keep her for the year, buy the machine, milk the feckin cow twice a day. I can mix stuff for 16 calves in less than five minutes for a fraction of the cost and no hassle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement