Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

whelan1 wrote: »
    WONDER IF THESE ARE A RELATION OF MINE:D http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/4607910
    a friend of mine reared one and killed it for the freezer.said it was lovely but the animal could only be classed as front wheel drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Deal done on 2 different plots of rented land today. Keeps expansion plans for 2013 on track and gives me room for reseeding and drainage plans on owned land for 2013. All I need now is weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

reilig wrote: »
    Deal done on 2 different plots of rented land today. Keeps expansion plans for 2013 on track and gives me room for reseeding and drainage plans on owned land for 2013. All I need now is weather!
    Well done.When I was in dairying had a field rented from neighbour ,always left in good condition.new tenant in it for the last few years,neighbour very unhappy,land poached,weeds etc.I said I would take it ,said he will come back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

smashing day here, slurry all spread and going pulling the fertilizer spreader out for a bit of an overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Has anyone ever had a new born calf that won't put weight on one front foot, keeps bottom bent back at claw,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

hugo29 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had a new born calf that won't put weight on one front foot, keeps bottom bent back at claw,

yep,

we had them years back with both front feet knuckled back under them and them came right

Bodacious wrote: »
    yep,

we had them years back with both front feet knuckled back under them and them came right

Did you do anything or just let him sort it self out, does it take long, hard to get him to suckle at moment,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Did you do anything or just let him sort it self out, does it take long, hard to get him to suckle at moment,

Had one knuckling like this last year on two legs. We left nature to its course and the calf was o.k after a week to ten days afair. We put it down to maybe the front legs were bent up in the womb at the wrong angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Had one knuckling like this last year on two legs. We left nature to its course and the calf was o.k after a week to ten days afair. We put it down to maybe the front legs were bent up in the womb at the wrong angle.

+1

he be sound in a week, bear with it

• Advertisement

There is a wind blowin thru the shed at moment that would cut ya in two, waitin for cow o calve bout hour or so I'd say, can see why old boys years ago had the moonshine handy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I'd the weanlings through the crush yesterday and noticed one is missing it's green bvd tag (and a fair chunk of it's ear!).
    Am I obliged to replace it? I'm holding onto her so no need to do so otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just do it wrote: »
    I'd the weanlings through the crush yesterday and noticed one is missing it's green bvd tag (and a fair chunk of it's ear!).
    Am I obliged to replace it? I'm holding onto her so no need to do so otherwise.
    dont think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Slightly different case here, have a wk old AA bull that I'm going to sell before the 42days he somehow lost the bvd button tag, I found it on the ground. Will I have to replace it, even if he is clear of bvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

If ya have a suck calf for sale,how long can you keep him before you have to tb test him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

If ya have a suck calf for sale,how long can you keep him before you have to tb test him.

42 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

All cattle over 6 weeks of age have to be TB tested

Timmaay wrote: »
    Slightly different case here, have a wk old AA bull that I'm going to sell before the 42days he somehow lost the bvd button tag, I found it on the ground. Will I have to replace it, even if he is clear of bvd?
    it will be on the system that he is negative so you shouldnt have to get new bvd tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Clear herd test today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

moy83 wrote: »
    Clear herd test today :D
    Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

3 calves today, twins and a single, all bulls :cool:

• Advertisement

3 calves today, twins and a single, all bulls :cool:
    Just read that article in the IFJ about the burren project. Interesting stuff and seems to be a well planned out project. I like the synopsis on grass quality. Comparable to hay up to Christmas and straw after that. Are you using any of that special ration they mention?

I suppose everyone can stomach tube, god I must learn, could have done with being able to have done it this am,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

I suppose everyone can stomach tube, god I must learn, could have done with being able to have done it this am,

Not alot to it once you see it done ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Don't ignore the calf. It usually comes right, but I've seen it go badly wrong. I'd be inclined to manipulate the joint a few times a day if you can, that will get him using it quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Let out a couple of cows and calves today, of course one calf went straight through 4 strands of barbed wire and into a drain. spent a few minutes doing a balancing act trying to make sure i got the little fu**er out and when i did finally manage what did he do again only the exact same bloody thing. i didnt manage to get out dry the second time.

caseman wrote: »
    Not alot to it once you see it done ,

Hmm think I've got lazy now, with almost all new borns I find myself reaching for the tube before the sucking bottle. Probably not the way to do it long term, but when your under pressure during calving season, I find it best to use the tube to get the colostrum in as quick as possible, rather than fiddling around trying to get a calf to suck, it allows me to move on quicker to another critical task (of which never end this month)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

This dry weather is tiring lads. I am just eating my supper now as I had to get a tank empty tonight as after tomorrow dinnertime I am not able to get a tractor in at the emptying points for three weeks to a month because operation new slatted tank breaks ground and blocks me off. I am working in the AM and drawing away from a digger after, so tank needed to be finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

no fekin sleep here tonight.... no matter all cows and calves safe and sound . yep all 7 of those bull (fr) calves in a row, they`re fine ... their many many brothers this year are fine too... its worth any loss of sleep to see those little fellas running around swishing their little tails and jangling their little balls...:(:mad:.. roll on 2016

Reading an old operation cashflow. Farmer has repayments of €4,000 per cow :eek:

From M.T.Cranium's weather thread:

OUTLOOK ... The most likely scenario is that the cold high will hang around for days slowly modifying to almost seasonable (by then about Friday 1st of March) temperatures (7-9 C) with the moderation more notable in the north at first, nights remaining quite cold (-5 to -2 C), and then a second cold spell may begin from a more northerly origin about 2-3 March. Expect some heavy wintry showers around 2-3 March when that colder spell begins on strong NW winds, then a cold, dry anticyclonic spell to follow, and then that may break down with stormy weather and a return to rain after some snow or sleet (this all around 8-10 March), so use the dry spells to your advantage, as I foresee the second half of March becoming rather wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

no fekin sleep here tonight.... no matter all cows and calves safe and sound . yep all 7 of those bull (fr) calves in a row, they`re fine ... their many many brothers this year are fine too... its worth any loss of sleep to see those little fellas running around swishing their little tails and jangling their little balls...:(:mad:.. roll on 2016
    I've had 4 in a row, started off with all heifers.
    Any idea what bull calves are making this year?
    Dont suppose theres anyone with fr heifers for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

td5man wrote: »

I got really nice Fr bulls for €80-€130, mostly black markings and 3-4 weeks old.

bbam wrote: »

I got really nice Fr bulls for €80-€130, mostly black markings and 3-4 weeks old.
    That wasnt €180-€230 by any chance.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Don't ignore the calf. It usually comes right, but I've seen it go badly wrong. I'd be inclined to manipulate the joint a few times a day if you can, that will get him using it quicker.

rubbed a bit of deep heat on it and he was walking gingerly on it next morning

That wasnt €180-€230 by any chance.

Brought home the 3 calves that I tried to sell today, 41day old fr bull, 110, wk old AAx bull, 180, wk old fr bull 50quid! Waste of 2hrs, thankfully mart is only 15mins away!

Brought home the 3 calves that I tried to sell today, 41day old fr bull, 110, wk old AAx bull, 180, wk old fr bull 50quid! Waste of 2hrs, thankfully mart is only 15mins away!
    i try to never bring calves home, even if you are getting feck all, think of all the diseases they would have met at the mart.... its the time of year for the prices to be lower with big numbers out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

A lot of calves out there as quota is not filled I think these are the prices or maybe a little less after quotas go. I rear veal and cant afford any more than 125 at the mart as the commission is a killer plus you never know what the calf has picked up. I can buy 35 day FR bulls at 125 delivered at the moment straight from the farmer.

one of the angus cows was calving this morning 4 legs coming:(:( got them out, both dead... hate twins

Thats it there is no more, for now.

• Advertisement

2 year old has just asked if his pork chop is a "horsey burger"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

one of the angus cows was calving this morning 4 legs coming:(:( got them out, both dead... hate twins

There's a pic of 5 newborn calves from a 7year old friesan old cow in the IFJ this week!! Nice narrow little angus. She has had 16calves from 4 lactations!

was wondering what happens if a dead calf comes back as having an empty sample for bvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

was wondering what happens if a dead calf comes back as having an empty sample for bvd?

its happened to me... awaiting written conformation but my lab tell me i must test the dam..damn:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Did youy not go to the mart to sell?

We have 20 March calving heifers for sale all b/w and in calf to AI. Pm if yiu want to have a look

• Advertisement

delaval wrote: »
    We have 20 March calving heifers for sale all b/w and in calf to AI. Pm if yiu want to have a look
    Heifer calves, pm details of heifers and location neighbour is looking for heifers

Heifer calves, pm details of heifers and location neighbour is looking for heifers
    It's in calf heifers we have for sale calving in March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Ever have the feeling when you finished late and you have an early start in the morning, that you so dread how soon you have to get up, you dont want to go to bed. or is it just me:rolleyes:

Ever have the feeling when you finished late and you have an early start in the morning, that you so dread how soon you have to get up, you dont want to go to bed. or is it just me:rolleyes:

Yep, all the time, lying there waiting for alarm,

Any one ever used that injection to make calf suckle, great stuff

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement