Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

hugo29 wrote: »
    Yep, all the time, lying there waiting for alarm,
    yep this morning had 7 calved last night, wrecked now havin to agitate as the slurry contractor is coming in half an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Its been trying to snow here all morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

td5man wrote: »
    Its been trying to snow here all morning.

Felt like that here all week, today is the first day the cows looked comfortable outdoors. Probably no more than 4-5 degrees but no wind so feels like a spring day after the bitterness of the past week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Felt like that here all week, today is the first day the cows looked comfortable outdoors. Probably no more than 4-5 degrees but no wind so feels like a spring day after the bitterness of the past week.

Between 0 and 2 degrees here all day with occasional snow flakes all day. Cold but beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

About an inch of snow here in the last 3 hours

dzer2 wrote: »
    About an inch of snow here in the last 3 hours
    Where abouts??

bbam wrote: »
    Where abouts??

Up in the hills north Kilkenny :D

bbam wrote: »
    Where abouts??
    On the ground mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Lovely sunny day up west for a change:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Jayus lads and lassies I have a calf born thursday that is driving me bananas , dont know if he suckling, he bouncing around creep, bowels moving, but cows teats don't look like they have been sucked, had to latch him on last night, did not see him suckle at all today again

• Advertisement

Jayus lads and lassies I have a calf born thursday that is driving me bananas , dont know if he suckling, he bouncing around creep, bowels moving, but cows teats don't look like they have been sucked, had to latch him on last night, did not see him suckle at all today again

It's worrying alright, but I don't think he'd be up and about if he hadnt been sucking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I suppose the fact that he is lively and the bowels are motoring are good signs. Some calves will only drag outta the one spin for the first few days. Keep an eye on him but he sounds normal enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Once he's bouncing around I wouldn't worry to much. He's a lot better off than the still born I had on Thursday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

when i went to check the cows last night there was a busted pipe on the scrapers, plenty of elbow grease for me this morning:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan1 wrote: »
    when i went to check the cows last night there was a busted pipe on the scrapers, plenty of elbow grease for me this morning:mad:
    same as meself, yesterday evening wont be able to fix it till monday morning:(

kevthegaff wrote: »
    i texted the guy last night, he arrived this morning when i was hand scraping the third shed, was never so happy to see someone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

kevthegaff wrote: »

Plenty companies out there who will fix a hose today. Or take it off n bring it to ur local machinery dealer he will put a joiner in it temp job. Where u based

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Hi folks can you give a 2 wk old calf rispoval intranasal or is it too soon or is anyone using other products?

Plenty companies out there who will fix a hose today. Or take it off n bring it to ur local machinery dealer he will put a joiner in it temp job. Where u based

Or the guy that cuts your silage might have a way to do a temp fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

that must be castlewarren direction or somewhere like that is it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Pirtek are local to most places. Used to be a €50 call-out plus the repair.

simx wrote: »
    that must be castlewarren direction or somewhere like that is it? :)

Not far from there alright, still a covering here this morning but bright and not that cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

You can re-usable fittings for hydraulic hoses,Always handy to have a 3/8" and 1/2" reusable joiners,The shell screws on to the hose then the tail of the fitting screws into that ,the reversre way off the shell.Male and female fitting join together,and you are up and going.

hoseman wrote: »
    You can re-usable fittings for hydraulic hoses,Always handy to have a 3/8" and 1/2" reusable joiners,The shell screws on to the hose then the tail of the fitting screws into that ,the reversre way off the shell.Male and female fitting join together,and you are up and going.

Can you still get these it must be 20 yrs since I have seen one.:)

Have 2 in the workshop but never had to use them local agri contractor has a grimper and very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Can you still get these it must be 20 yrs since I have seen one.:)

Have 2 in the workshop but never had to use them local agri contractor has a grimper and very helpful.

Yep u can still get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

No sunday off for me either, two calvings and one down with milk fever, gave a bottle under the skin but she wasn't in a great way so called the vet. Up around now thankfully. She was too big of a cow, been dry a long time and looked after herself too well.

Whelan I had lotsa problems with the scrapers afew months ago, utter pain in the arse, I used to scrap them out manually several times a day, including at 11pm, annoying but better than having the cows dirty in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugo29

Once he's bouncing around I wouldn't worry to much. He's a lot better off than the still born I had on Thursday morning.

good tip; food dye on the teats will reveal all , saved me manys a sleepless night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I've 2 BBx heifers for breeding. First one is for AI in the morning. Looking at OZS or HCA. Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    I've 2 BBx heifers for breeding. First one is for AI in the morning. Looking at OZS or HCA. Any other suggestions?

An angus. Did a section with a neighbour on a not very muscley outwintered 3 year old heifer last week to an easy calving lim. There was just no space in her at all and she couldnt even put the tip of his nose out. I would play very safe with a blue for the first calving after seeing it myself tbh.

An angus. Did a section with a neighbour on a not very muscley outwintered 3 year old heifer last week to an easy calving lim. There was just no space in her at all and she couldnt even put the tip of his nose out. I would play very safe with a blue for the first calving after seeing it myself tbh.
    Yeah I was thinking maybe an Angus. However their possible calving figures on ICBF aren't too bad at 3 stars accross breeds, albeit with low reliability. If they don't go in-calf I won't be too disappointed to be honest. They're only going to get two servings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I have to agree. 2 sections here in 2 years and both on blue heifers calving down to easy calving limo bull.I have to have had at least 40 other calves from the same bull and no issues.
    Speaking of which onto the last of the cows calving and all from the new bull bought last year. first one born this morning hes a cracker anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Or AHZ, he's easy calving too @ 3.8% Diff (90% Rel).

Lads, are ye thinking not to breed from them in the first place? They are in good shape and will do well on grass....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Lads, are ye thinking not to breed from them in the first place? They are in good shape and will do well on grass....

Plenty of lads breed them but its not for me, some will calf grand and some wont open at all. I had often heard about how tight they can be but had never witnessed it until last week. To look at the heifer you would have said she would have no problem but she never opened up properly. If you had one calf out of them you would know what they are like and be in a better position to pick a bull to see. The reason I say angus instead of limo is regardless of calving ease you have a lot more of a chance of a ball of muscle using a limo.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Have you seen anything by him? Looking again at icbf it seems OZS has jumped a bit and is now at 6.5%.

I've a HCA calf that I'm impressed with. Came out like a rabbit but has developed well. Calving at 3.5% with 95% reliability. Feck it, if they can't deliver a calf by him they shouldn't be calving at all!

Have you seen anything by him? ..!
    No, but have a heifer in calf to him. I notice a lot of the top lim pedigree breeders have sold heifers incalf to him this year. He seems to be a small, very muscular type from his figures, so maybe not ideal for a BB heifer.

AHZ Pedigree bull for sale here;
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4506689

Plenty of lads breed them but its not for me,
    Tend to agree with you. I've gone away from blues altogether with these two being the last ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

pakalasa wrote: »

OZS all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

saranac1 wrote: »
    Hi folks can you give a 2 wk old calf rispoval intranasal or is it too soon or is anyone using other products?
    No bother bang away!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Ran into a bit of silage trouble......brought in bale and that particular pen refused point blank to eat it! They would readily eat from the other pen's bales and they already have been through about 15 bales (from same field, baled on same day) and no problem. The bale had no bad bits or fungus and I got it tested - everything was fine except for DM which was +60%.....however this is unlikely to be the cause this problem. I had to take the bale out and since then they have eaten next bales ok but a bit "iffy". Has anybody encountered this problem as everybody I've asked are puzzled by it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There could be something dead in the bale, maybe something got hit by the mower?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

we have plenty of bbx cows. HCA or ahz. wouldnt use OZS. angus could be a good option too. maybe GJB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

35x wrote: »
    Ran into a bit of silage trouble......brought in bale and that particular pen refused point blank to eat it! They would readily eat from the other pen's bales and they already have been through about 15 bales (from same field, baled on same day) and no problem. The bale had no bad bits or fungus and I got it tested - everything was fine except for DM which was +60%.....however this is unlikely to be the cause this problem. I had to take the bale out and since then they have eaten next bales ok but a bit "iffy". Has anybody encountered this problem as everybody I've asked are puzzled by it!
    if there hurgry enough they will eat it

naughto wrote: »
    if there hurgry enough they will eat it

Hardly a sound progressive farming practice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

he said there was nothing wrong with the bale no fungs or any bad crap on it.with the way fodder is i would have left it in place for awhile longer

Fair play for a bit of initiative;
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4043920

greetings from spain:D enjoying happy hour cheers

35x wrote: »
    put meal on it , if they dont eat it then, dump it

whelan1 wrote: »
    greetings from spain:D enjoying happy hour cheers
    Its people like you that give farming a bad name, protesting about milk prices last week and off on winter holidays this week :-) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

What's wrong with a holiday any time of the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement