Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
      Its people like you that give farming a bad name, protesting about milk prices last week and off on winter holidays this week :-)

did you protest about milk price ? Annual holiday here. think i work hard enough during the year to justify 4 days away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

calf this morning,heifer out of very milky cow :) lambing off to a start with twin lambs this evening, going to chance letting out weanlings tomorrow happy days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

we have plenty of bbx cows. HCA or ahz. wouldnt use OZS. angus could be a good option too. maybe GJB
      Went with HCA. And would you believe her compatriot is for AI in the morning as well. Will go with HCA again.

The AI man said this morning's one had a dirty discharge. Don't really know how she came to have it. Lets see what 21 days brings...

whelan1 wrote: »
      greetings from spain:D enjoying happy hour cheers
      Have a good one Whelan1. But you do realise your missing the best week of weather in about 9 months!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

pakalasa wrote: »
      Fair play for a bit of initiative;
      http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4043920
      know that chap,only a young lad but mad keen about stock. parents
      breed brilliant stock too. chap is keen , has posters everywhere in marts and merchants trying to drum up business.see he renewed his ad on donedeal before 7 this morning

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

greetings from spain:D enjoying happy hour cheers

See if they have any good bodywarmers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Does anyone know if the bull sales in Carrick are haltered or unhaltered. I have a few ped bulls for sale but just did'nt have the time to train them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

we have plenty of bbx cows. HCA or ahz. wouldnt use OZS. angus could be a good option too. maybe GJB

hi Bogman

would you be afraid of him calving when crossed with the blue? his calves are quality though, ive seen a couple of good HCA calves too though but will be smaller musclier type

A60A37EB_zps3a02b1cc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭limo_100

Bodacious wrote: »
      hi Bogman

would you be afraid of him calving when crossed with the blue? his calves are quality though, ive seen a couple of good HCA calves too though but will be smaller musclier type

A60A37EB_zps3a02b1cc.jpg

which bull r you on about bod that ud b afraid of??? whats that calf by good end on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

limo_100 wrote: »

which bull r you on about bod that ud b afraid of??? whats that calf by good end on him

OZS calving figures went up from what originally anticipated but only IMO no big muscley calves born that I saw anyway normal lim size calf but develop well after.

A friend of mine was worried alright as he gave him to an E grade show heifer but she calved him no bother either but Bogman would have much more info on him I'm only basing my opinion on 6 calves! Good 2 year old heifer be sound for him but safer if extreme muscle in her pedigree to try an easier calving lad

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Mac Taylor wrote: »
      Does anyone know if the bull sales in Carrick are haltered or unhaltered. I have a few ped bulls for sale but just did'nt have the time to train them.

Its all haltered. In reality, you would need to have a bit of work done with the bull on the rope as he has to be tied in one of the open stalls for viewing and then lead to the top of the sales yard and lead around the ring. Have seen many's a bull flip as he was going into the ring and it has a detremental affect on price.

Some of the local marts have had unhaltered sales in the past - Dowra and Elphin being 2, but I don't knwo if they will have any this year. To be honest, the quality at the unhaltered sales doesn't be the best.

Would you not try and sell them on Donedeal. I'm not long in pedigrees, but have sold 2 bulls on it with ease!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

td5man wrote: »
      Its people like you that give farming a bad name, protesting about milk prices last week and off on winter holidays this week :-) :D

Indeed. If we were to listen to the general public we wouldn't ever;
      Have a holiday.
      Have a new car
      Send kids to college
      Marry someone with a job, particularly not a nurse or teacher.
      Buy more land
      Put up sheds
      Spread slurry
      Bring a tractor on the road
      Have an animal bawl, ever
      Use chemicals
      Have an accountant to reduce tax liability

Jebus, it would be hard to get much done and a dull life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

just do it wrote: »
      Have a good one Whelan1. But you do realise your missing the best week of weather in about 9 months!!!

I think we should organise a whip around and try to get the funds together to keep her out there for another few weeks. As soon as she left the weather improved it's probably gonna start p**sing down as soon as she come home:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bodacious wrote: »
      OZS calving figures went up from what originally anticipated but only IMO no big muscley calves born that I saw anyway normal lim size calf but develop well after.

A friend of mine was worried alright as he gave him to an E grade show heifer but she calved him no bother either but Bogman would have much more info on him I'm only basing my opinion on 6 calves! Good 2 year old heifer be sound for him but safer if extreme muscle in her pedigree to try an easier calving lad

its not that he is hard calved but he isnt out and out easy either and I would always err of the side of caution with heifers, especially when there is blue in them. Maybe thats just me.
      I think OZS would be a fantastic bull for second calvers or if you had a big roomy heifer.

Maybe I'm overly cautious. what do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

jes got stuck in a field there, just got the neighbour to pull me out. havin a nice bowl of microwaved chicken soup:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GoodMan55985

its not that he is hard calved but he isnt out and out easy either and I would always err of the side of caution with heifers, especially when there is blue in them. Maybe thats just me.
      I think OZS would be a fantastic bull for second calvers or if you had a big roomy heifer.

I'd agree with you bogman. I wouldn't give the heifer OZS. I bulled a few Charolais Heifers at Christmas to Achile (AHZ). He is easy calving. With any heifer try to go as easy calving as possible and sure as you say when you see what they like at calving you can adjust for future years.

I think we should organise a whip around and try to get the funds together to keep her out there for another few weeks. As soon as she left the weather improved it's probably gonna start p**sing down as soon as she come home:D
      all donations gratefully accepted, around 15-17 degrees here, whats it like at home? getting rid of the cracks on my hands while i am here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Lads anyone sell cull cows lately have a lad coming to look at 2 tomorrow just wondering what price per kilo they are making as I can weigh these in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

all donations gratefully accepted, around 15-17 degrees here, whats it like at home? getting rid of the cracks on my hands while i am here

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=813932

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Calved him out of an average heifer this year. cracking calf easily calved.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭limo_100

heres a interesting ad on fb anyone buy of these they have some nice stock

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4415177

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4443759#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Any one ever have a hoarse cow, she trying to call calf and all that coming out is a whimper :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Anyone ever have this problem - I have sucklers calving now. I seperate them to calve but let the cow back with the rest of the cows for a few hours a day, to eat silage stretch the legs etc. Well all hell breaks out when I do it. There's only a gate seperating them when calving, so it's not like they are being re-introduced. What you reckon, jealousy ?? Seriously, I nearly got injured trying to seperate them this evening. They had a cow that calved yesterday pinned down to the ground this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

kevthegaff wrote: »
      jes got stuck in a field there, just got the neighbour to pull me out. havin a nice bowl of microwaved chicken soup:)

what happened you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Anyone ever have this problem - I have sucklers calving now. I seperate them to calve but let the cow back with the rest of the cows for a few hours a day, to eat silage stretch the legs etc. Well all hell breaks out when I do it. There's only a gate seperating them when calving, so it's not like they are being re-introduced. What you reckon, jealousy ?? Seriously, I nearly got injured trying to seperate them this evening. They had a cow that calved yesterday pinned down to the ground this evening.

We have one or two cows who never miss an opportunity to assert themselves. They seem to spend most of their time warmongering.
      Is it always the same cow/s that cause the trouble?

Pak

It's not just calved cows. It seems the hierarchy is reasserted even after the shortest period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Pak

It's not just calved cows. It seems the hierarchy is reasserted even after the shortest period of time.
      We keep a pen of what you can only call tramps togethter. They all seem to be the older cows which have a tendancy to bully any younger ones. you will find there is always one thats worse than the rest.
      People will probably say by putting them together i am just looking for punishment but they settle very quick and learn their places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Atrixo regenerating cream serious jungle juice. But chanelle udder cream sorts the wheat from the chaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

:)the pleasure of farming in this weather,no wet coats and NO F>CKING WELLINGTONS yipee,boots overalls and a good old wooly hat!

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
      ..Is it always the same cow/s that cause the trouble?
      The gang is led by a young cow that lost her calf early in the year. She wouln't be the matriarch or anything. I reckon it's pure jealosy. Christ it got savage yesterday. I'd say they would have killed her if I didn't seperate them again. Might be a problem yet as more cows calve and I run out of shed space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

The gang is led by a young cow that lost her calf early in the year. She wouln't be the matriarch or anything. I reckon it's pure jealosy. Christ it got savage yesterday. I'd say they would have killed her if I didn't seperate them again. Might be a problem yet as more cows calve and I run out of shed space.

leave them without silage and give it to them when your about to let in a new cow.

You could get flattened yourself with them at times.

is she a cow that got bullied a lot herself? Like kids, those that get bullied are more likely to do the bullying later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

dzer2 wrote: »
      Lads anyone sell cull cows lately have a lad coming to look at 2 tomorrow just wondering what price per kilo they are making as I can weigh these in the morning.

Are they fr? Fleshy? €1.35/40 a kg if fairly fleshy,€1.10/15 if average enough

simx wrote: »
      Are they fr? Fleshy? €1.35/40 a kg if fairly fleshy,€1.10/15 if average enough

Thats great offered me €1.10 so I will take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

dzer2 wrote: »
      Thats great offered me €1.10 so I will take that.

It would be impossible buy cows by the kilo, or even give a estimate on price as there are so many variables. Once your happy with the price and the guys is sound thats all that matters

• Advertisement

is she a cow that got bullied a lot herself? Like kids, those that get bullied are more likely to do the bullying later on

Did she come from a broken home? was she abused? has she issues with substance abuse........? It's societies fault ya know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

mf240 wrote: »
      leave them without silage and give it to them when your about to let in a new cow.

This is what we usually do if we can. Sometimes it distracts them long enough for them not to notice the newcomer. Other times they go at the silage and hold their grudge till later on!

Bizzum wrote: »
      Did she come from a broken home? was she abused? has she issues with substance abuse........? It's societies fault ya know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

did you try hugging her and telling her its alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

1chippy wrote: »
      We keep a pen of what you can only call tramps togethter. They all seem to be the older cows which have a tendancy to bully any younger ones. you will find there is always one thats worse than the rest.
      People will probably say by putting them together i am just looking for punishment but they settle very quick and learn their places.

A pen of tramps :D ........ Every farm should have one !!!
      Ah i know what you mean. Have a few of them meself.
      Two older cows inparticular , will almost patrol the silage barrier at times to stop the younger cows getting a look in , even though they themselves are full .

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hoseman

printed off herd profile,went out to cattle to check off missing tags,came in with form with tags ticked,now I cannot find the form going to have to re do all again.:(:(

• Advertisement

Richk2012 wrote: »
      Two older cows inparticular , will almost patrol the silage barrier at times to stop the younger cows getting a look in , even though they themselves are full .

Electric prod through the barrier

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Richk2012 wrote: »

Had that organised until last night, all the big old bitches with horns were together. A fooking slat broke in the pen so now all the dry cows are together. Will have to get the measuring tape, a railway sleeper and chainsaw out now. :(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I separated the cows and calves overnight last night. Let them back in at 6am. I could hear them 600m away. Bloody glad no one lives any closer to the shed than that!

just read in the irish indo that there was a protest about liquid milk price in dublin yesterday, was anyone at it or did any one know about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

just read in the irish indo that there was a protest about liquid milk price in dublin yesterday, was anyone at it or did any one know about it?
      No and no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

slurry going out today on the driest of the silage ground. Hopefully have grass to let a few weanlings out after paddy's wkend.

A lot of the rest of the farm you wouldn't travel with a boat! I must post pics again soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
      slurry going out today on the driest of the silage ground. Hopefully have grass to let a few weanlings out after paddy's wkend.

A lot of the rest of the farm you wouldn't travel with a boat! I must post pics again soon...

Same as that. Agitated 2 tanks last night and have a young lad putting it out for me today. Hope to get about 50k gallons out between now and monday to be able to take in about 20k gallons of pig slurry and have enough storage space to do for March and April. Some cows with calves will hit grass around mid march. After that cows and calves will get out as the calves are born - just drop them out in the field with the quad and trailer as they calve if weather allows it.

We have seen serious drying in the last week. Another week and we could cover all the meadows - but it might still be abit early for that. That was the first dry week around here since the beginning of october 2012. Plenty of grass at the moment, but ground just not dry enough to carry them!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GoodMan55985

I separated the cows and calves overnight last night. Let them back in at 6am. I could hear them 600m away. Bloody glad no one lives any closer to the shed than that!

Are you doing this to get cows bulling quicker? Are you allowing the calves to suck twice a day? I haven't done this before but thinking of doing it this year. Any advice like do the cows get used to this setup and settle down

Jeez, the weather is amazing isn't it? Putting cows out as they calve. Have them in our driest field and they're as happy as Larry. It was minus 2 the other morning, and I was greeted by day old calves standing and stretching. Not a bother on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Jeez, the weather is amazing isn't it? Putting cows out as they calve. Have them in our driest field and they're as happy as Larry. It was minus 2 the other morning, and I was greeted by day old calves standing and stretching. Not a bother on them.

Frosty weather never harmed a calf, Getting soaked to their skin is a different story though. I hate to be the one to say it but we need a day or 2 of rain around here because our water supply in the winterage is a non runner at the moment. Going to have to start walking the cows a mile to the nearest river daily until it starts raining again :(

• Advertisement
    This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement