Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

have everything out except the last of the spring calvers 26 of them and 10 authum dry cows that lost calves and are back incalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

leg wax wrote: »
    have everything out except the last of the spring calvers

No wonder silage bales are going for half the price in the south east!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

leg wax wrote: »
    have everything out except the last of the spring calvers 26 of them and 10 authum dry cows that lost calves and are back incalf.

how many cows have you got??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Just home from the hospital with a set of twins - boy and girl. jaysus but their granda is smiles from ear to ear now that the name is to be carried on, he never even came to the hospital to see me!! The hospital staff were great and couldn't do enough for us - they even got me a bed and allowed me to stay for the week. Bottle feeding is slightly more delicate than bottling lambs although the waking in the middle of the night is no different.
    Proud as Punch, sheep can take a back seat for the next few days.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Just home from the hospital with a set of twins - boy and girl. jaysus but their granda is smiles from ear to ear now that the name is to be carried on, he never even came to the hospital to see me!! The hospital staff were great and couldn't do enough for us - they even got me a bed and allowed me to stay for the week. Bottle feeding is slightly more delicate than bottling lambs although the waking in the middle of the night is no different.

By the time you have those two reared you will consider sheep farming a walk in the park. Congrats you you and the Missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

colrow wrote: »
    Enough to make a grown man cry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21614304[/QUOTE]

Could be worse...............If it was whiskey with an e. That scotch stuff is ok for medicinal use or as a rub or the like but the real deal is good Irish whiskey. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pakalasa wrote: »
    Jeez, the weather is amazing isn't it? Putting cows out as they calve. Have them in our driest field and they're as happy as Larry. It was minus 2 the other morning, and I was greeted by day old calves standing and stretching. Not a bother on them.
    fooking thunderstorms here, never heard thunder like it:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Bizzum wrote: »
    colrow wrote: »
    Enough to make a grown man cry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21614304[/QUOTE]

Could be worse...............If it was whiskey with an e. That scotch stuff is ok for medicinal use or as a rub or the like but the real deal is good Irish whiskey. :)

Very true lol

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    fooking thunderstorms here, never heard thunder like it:cool:

Louth or Spain?;)

Louth or Spain?;)

spain. heading home tomorrow. had a nice break

spain. heading home tomorrow. had a nice break

I was thinking Spain alright. I passed by your area there earlier and it was a lovely evening!

I was thinking Spain alright. I passed by your area there earlier and it was a lovely evening!

had a call from my da earlier 8 cows calved today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

The first 6 months is the hardest, then the next 6 are hard. Then when they get to2 theyre a f***ing nightmare.
    Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

We have twins here also boy and girl, they are the youngest of 4 and will be 4yrs in April. It's really something special the way they interact.

You are very lucky and I hope you enjoy every moment. Congratulations, they are not twice the work, twice the joy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Oh congrats antrimglen. It will be tough but worth every minuite. A baby is an Absolut bundle of joy. Treasure them. And don't forget to look after the misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

just read in the irish indo that there was a protest about liquid milk price in dublin yesterday, was anyone at it or did any one know about it?

2nd protest they haven't bothered telling us about, 1st I knew was when I saw it in the Journal!

Just after having a very difficult calving, legs were coming but no sign of a head, called the vet, he had some fun with the jack, eventually got the calf out, unfortunately dead a while. It was a massive fr heifer also, we've had very few heifers that big, usually the bull calves that give the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MOOVAN

Did yee see the beef farmer on the RTE 9 o clock news,he was fantastic and showed pure emotion.Fair play to him, not representing any farming group just his own beef business. At last someone willing to come out and defend the beef farmers since the H=meat scandal story broke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Are you doing this to get cows bulling quicker? Are you allowing the calves to suck twice a day? I haven't done this before but thinking of doing it this year. Any advice like do the cows get used to this setup and settle down
    Yes doing it to get them bulling. Want to start AI on March 12th. First time doing it so I hope they settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

just do it wrote: »
    Yes doing it to get them bulling. Want to start AI on March 12th. First time doing it so I hope they settle.

I always do it after a day or two they know that the calf will be back but god help you if your late letting back in the calves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Just back in to get kids up and ready for school and get ready myself for work. Savage morning here. Only a bodywarmer and a light sweatshirt on and I am sweating. Long may it last.

dzer2 wrote: »

I always do it after a day or two they know that the calf will be back but god help you if your late letting back in the calves
    Not as much bawling this morning at 6.20. I reckon they were just waking up. Another half hour and the chorus would have risen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

just do it wrote: »
    Not as much bawling this morning at 6.20. I reckon they were just waking up. Another half hour and the chorus would have risen

First calf(s) of the year was twins here yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Got my hands on 2 x 1100litre wheelie bins from Supermacs. Both had 1 wheel broken off them. I made a steel frame for around them which catches under the lip at the top of them and hooked the wheels to the frame. I want to use them for storing firewood and turf in the garage.

One of the bins has a fairly big hole in it where the wheel broke off - but I still have the piece of PVC to put back into it. Can anyone suggest any type of glue or silicone type glue that would glue thick pvc like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

reilig wrote: »
    ... Can anyone suggest any type of glue or silicone type glue that would glue thick pvc like this?

Pinkgrip from any builder providers should work. I've used it to stick plastic to metal on the Vicon wagtail fertiliser spreader.
    http://www.everbuild.co.uk/image/data/Leaflets/PinkGrip%20Leaflet.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Got my hands on 2 x 1100litre wheelie bins from Supermacs. Both had 1 wheel broken off them. I made a steel frame for around them which catches under the lip at the top of them and hooked the wheels to the frame. I want to use them for storing firewood and turf in the garage.

One of the bins has a fairly big hole in it where the wheel broke off - but I still have the piece of PVC to put back into it. Can anyone suggest any type of glue or silicone type glue that would glue thick pvc like this?

Would fiberglass work for it reilig?

Thanks guys.

Fibreglass would work, but I hate doing it. Its a messy and takes me days to come down off the smell of the resin :p

I was looking for a handy way of doing it and the pinkgrip looks to be the business. Thanks Pak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

MOOVAN wrote: »
    Did yee see the beef farmer on the RTE 9 o clock news,he was fantastic and showed pure emotion.Fair play to him, not representing any farming group just his own beef business. At last someone willing to come out and defend the beef farmers since the H=meat scandal story broke

Ye were watching the neighbour so? I knew nothing about it until someone said it to me in the local at a table quiz last night. He's been fairly revved up about it for the past while. I'd love to know how he got tiernan to bite though. Apparently been a big week for Dunhill tv wise another two locals were on with Duncan during the week as well.

A great tidy clean way to store firewood and turf

Just wondering how deep they are? Will it be easy to get at the stuff in the bottom of them?

Had a nephew spreading slurry for me yesterday. He's a good safe young lad and he's careful.

On the first load, my father decided that he would give him a lesson in slurry spreading even though the young lad did it last year. Off they went with my father in the driving seat and the nephew sitting on the flat of the cab. All went well until the old man, while looking behind him, got the cab step of the tractor caught in a stay wire of an ESB pole. Needless to say he broke the bottom step off the step frame and bent the step frame, cracking it where it is bolted onto the underside of the cab.

Lovely repair job now required. They are over €300 new. If I did it, I'd get a fu@k*ng. Lucky he didn't pull the pole down on top of the whole lot!

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    A great tidy clean way to store firewood and turf

Just wondering how deep they are? Will it be easy to get at the stuff in the bottom of them?

They are 4ft deep. Might be a bit of a struggle to get the bottom bit out, but will manage. Have a new garage with a gasifying boiler in it. Timber dries in an old hayshed 200m from the house Want to be able to bring it iver weekly and fill the bin at the door and push it out of the way and then be able to push it to the boiler when it needs filling. Carrying the timber in and around loose at the moment and it's messy as hell!

They are 4ft deep. Might be a bit of a struggle to get the bottom bit out, but will manage. Have a new garage with a gasifying boiler in it. Timber dries in an old hayshed 200m from the house Want to be able to bring it iver weekly and fill the bin at the door and push it out of the way and then be able to push it to the boiler when it needs filling. Carrying the timber in and around loose at the moment and it's messy as hell!

How's that boiler working out for you Reilig? Is it doing rads, heating and hot water?

Is it hungy?

Tipp Man wrote: »
    How's that boiler working out for you Reilig? Is it doing rads, heating and hot water?

Is it hungy?

It's great. We always had a solid fuel range heating the house when I was young so I'm used to lighting a fire every day. It's 25kw with a 1500l buffer and it heats 14 rads as well as hot water. The boiler, buffer and chimney itself also heats the garage where we have the upstairs converted to an office.

I don't think its over hungry. I have one of those plastic garden tubs which is approx 100 litres. 2 of these tubs will fill the buffer to max temp and this will heat the house for 24 hours in the coldest of frosty weather. On days like today, i would only use 1 tub. I estimate that approximately €450 in bought in spruce will heat the house for a full year. I'll confirm that next year when I start burning spruce properly as I'm still burning willow gotten from coppacing for REPS.

I hate to P*ss on your bombfire Reilig, but like Tippman, I can't see those bins being any way suitable for that job. Way too deep, you'd want Bosco living in it throwing the logs out to you!!

You could make up a box from angle and sheet it with ply. Have one side hinging and have skids that you could shift and tip it with a bale handler. Just an idea. You definitely need an opening side anyhow or a much shallower box, 2' max.

A sack would be the right job, but I know you don't have a loader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I'd say you be quicker, and end up with a better job if you got a bit of sheet metal and pop riveted/bolted it in place

Muckit wrote: »
    I hate to P*ss on your bombfire Reilig, but like Tippman, I can't see those bins being any way suitable for that job. Way too deep, you'd want Bosco living in it throwing the logs out to you!!

You could make up a box from angle and sheet it with ply. Have one side hinging and have skids that you could shift and tip it with a bale handler. Just an idea. You definitely need an opening side anyhow or a much shallower box, 2' max.

A sack would be the right job, but I know you don't have a loader.

I'm 6ft 6" and my arms are almost 3ft long. A little bend over and I can reach. :D

I'll confirm that next year when I start burning spruce properly as I'm still burning willow gotten from coppacing for REPS.

Did you see that eco eye programme Reilig a few weeks ago, where this lad had planted eucalypthus. It is ready to harvest after 7 years. They showed a cross section of an ash and eucalypthus log. It was was over twice the size. I wondered though would it be as good to burn? It wasn't exactly a great comparision I thought, it's not really the size, it's how it would burn that counts!
    Your man swore by it, reckon after the first 2 years you could just shut the gate on it and I think he said a hectare would be enough ground to fuel a house. What would you think? Anyone any experience? The older I get the more I see the value in being as self sufficient as possible.

I'm 6ft 6" and my arms are almost 3ft long. A little bend over and I can reach. :D

Ahh... it's great to see chivalary is still alive and well! :D But what happens when Reilig is away for whatever reason??? Mrs. Reilig is left cold and all alone, held ransom to a bin that wouldn't let her fuel the fire!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

you could melt plastic on to the hole type of like when i candle melts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Ahh... it's great to see chivalary is still alive and well! :D But what happens when Reilig is away for whatever reason??? Mrs. Reilig is left cold and all alone, held ransom to a bin that wouldn't let her fuel the fire!! :p
    q redzerologhlen at the door to keep her warm:D

no disrespect Reilig.

Keep the bin filled up. Its only 4ft off the ground. She will be able to reach 3/4 ways down into it. I don't regard it as a major issue. The advantage of the boiler with the buffer is that I can precharge it before I go away and the Mrs can enjoy the heat from it while I'm away without having to get her hands dirty at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    First calf(s) of the year was twins here yesterday.

I shall quote myself by saying she likes the itty-bitty heifer and not the bull:mad:

Both off CSQ- Crossmolina Euro. YAY though, a pet for me this year! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just had twins as well by kyr ,mixed sexs:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Did you see that eco eye programme Reilig a few weeks ago, where this lad had planted eucalypthus. It is ready to harvest after 7 years. They showed a cross section of an ash and eucalypthus log. It was was over twice the size. I wondered though would it be as good to burn? It wasn't exactly a great comparision I thought, it's not really the size, it's how it would burn that counts!
    Your man swore by it, reckon after the first 2 years you could just shut the gate on it and I think he said a hectare would be enough ground to fuel a house. What would you think? Anyone any experience? The older I get the more I see the value in being as self sufficient as possible.

We have heavily laden ditches here and they take a lot of trimming. In the last 20 yrs havent spent 100 euro on fuel any year since. We try to be self sufficient with our own veg ,meat and millk. The better half makes our bread our biggest cost is diesel.

just home heading out to milk now, wrecked had a great time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Irony.

How the British Farming Forum has an advert on boards.ie when it refused so many people who wanted to join from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

naughto wrote: »
    q redzerologhlen at the door to keep her warm:D
    no disrespect Reilig.
    leave me out hi, one woman is enough for anyone to be trying to keep warm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

It's great. We always had a solid fuel range heating the house when I was young so I'm used to lighting a fire every day. It's 25kw with a 1500l buffer and it heats 14 rads as well as hot water. The boiler, buffer and chimney itself also heats the garage where we have the upstairs converted to an office.

I don't think its over hungry. I have one of those plastic garden tubs which is approx 100 litres. 2 of these tubs will fill the buffer to max temp and this will heat the house for 24 hours in the coldest of frosty weather. On days like today, i would only use 1 tub. I estimate that approximately €450 in bought in spruce will heat the house for a full year. I'll confirm that next year when I start burning spruce properly as I'm still burning willow gotten from coppacing for REPS.
    Hey reilig if you get chance could you pm me the type of boiler you got and who supplied it. Building my house at the moment and thinking of putting one in. You happy with it?

Hey reilig if you get chance could you pm me the type of boiler you got and who supplied it. Building my house at the moment and thinking of putting one in. You happy with it?

Boiler is an atmos dc25s with a 1500l buffer. Can be bought from wwwkotly.com or from www.mlarge.co.uk. Couldn't be happier with it. It has more than paid for itself with oil savings over the last 3 years.

Kovu Murr wrote: »

I shall quote myself by saying she likes the itty-bitty heifer and not the bull:mad:

Both off CSQ- Crossmolina Euro. YAY though, a pet for me this year! lol
    ?? Sorry K, you've lost me with this post!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement