Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

did anyone hear anything of when the dairy discussion group payment is coming, last year we got it on 29th february? the beef guys got theres ages ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

just do it wrote: »
    ?? Sorry K, you've lost me with this post!

Lol, she has taken to the wee heifer of the twins and doesnt like the bull at all. Ideally I'd bottle feed the heifer (i.e. replacement)

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Lol, she has taken to the wee heifer of the twins and doesnt like the bull at all. Ideally I'd bottle feed the heifer (i.e. replacement)
    but if they are male and female twins its very rare that the female will breed

whelan1 wrote: »
    but if they are male and female twins its very rare that the female will breed

Two sacs so non identical. I assumed that these would be breedable:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Two sacs so non identical. I assumed that these would be breedable:confused:

I've never had a heifer out of mixed twins who did:(

I've never had a heifer out of mixed twins who did:(

I had one who did a few years ago. 10% chance isnt it? Maybe im being a bit optimistic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I had one who did a few years ago. 10% chance isnt it? Maybe im being a bit optimistic :pac:
    Is the thing that if they have seperate sacs they can breed just an old wives tale or is there any science to it ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Is the thing that if they have seperate sacs they can breed just an old wives tale or is there any science to it ?

It's the testosterone secreted by the bull calf which interferes with the development of the females reproductive organs during the pregnancy AFAIK.

Thinking in a husbandry way- it shouldnt. Separate sacs means separate development.

It's the testosterone secreted by the bull calf which interferes with the development of the females reproductive organs during the pregnancy AFAIK.

I stand corrected:pac: I can inform ye in a year or so lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

Yes if they have two cleanings the heifer will breed.

The female sex organs fail to develop in mixed twins due to testosterone from the bull calf being transferred via the placenta which doesn't happen if there are two cleanings (placenta).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Can the testosterone travel through the sacs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

mf240 wrote: »
    Yes if they have two cleanings the heifer will breed..
    Ya learn something new everyday. I didn't know that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

How would you know a tanker is going to improde? i have a tank and a inward crease mark approx 1/3 / 1/2 of the tank (front part at about 7 pm on the tank) Defo didnt hit it. Its only a 1300 tank.:rolleyes: Ya pay for what ye get i know but i only put out a few loads a year. Any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

About half the animals out today. great to see the weanlings with the tails up going cracked. Dehorned and vaccinated the last of the calves and cleaned out the calving pens. i think its time to get washed and go get hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

1chippy wrote: »
    About half the animals out today. great to see the weanlings with the tails up going cracked. Dehorned and vaccinated the last of the calves and cleaned out the calving pens. i think its time to get washed and go get hammered.

Have one for me . Said id give lent a go this year .
    See how long i can stretch the will power :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

i think its time to get washed and go get hammered.

snap, I have put up enough milage this week to justify a hard session :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Possible upshot from the whole horsemeat scandal, consumers are being more cautious about cheap food http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056892070

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

just registered 20 calves there in about 15 mins, online registering is the job!
    now im off for a couple of pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

What did the vaccinate the calves with Chip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Lucky b@stards I wish I was going too, forgot about lent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The Cavan lads on here will surely head for a pint or two after their performance tonight against the aul enemy Meath. Interesting times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

kevthegaff wrote: »
    just registered 20 calves there in about 15 mins, online registering is the job!
    now im off for a couple of pints

Am I the only eejit watching Brendan O connor ??:(

crystal swing just came on, time for a double brandy :eek::eek:

jomoloney wrote: »
    Am I the only eejit watching Brendan O connor ??:(

crystal swing just came on, time for a double brandy :eek::eek:

No another eejit here,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Richard Corrigan on now, ....interesting

jomoloney wrote: »
    Richard Corrigan on now, ....interesting

Still on Catherine lynch here, was paused for a while, thanks for the warning on crystal swing

munkus wrote: »
    What did the vaccinate the calves with Chip?
    Rispoval intranasal for pneumonia and the ibr injection one.

Suffering Chippy? I'm just in the gap and straight into the leaba again, was out in rebel city last night. fair poor selection of wans down those parts and everywhere closed at 2am :mad:, might aswell stayed at home

Suffering Chippy? I'm just in the gap and straight into the leaba again, was out in rebel city last night. fair poor selection of wans down those parts and everywhere closed at 2am :mad:, might aswell stayed at home

Either the word went out you were on the way and they decided discretion was the better part of valour and stayed at home or the word didn't get out in time and they all missed a golden oppurtunity, I wonder which it was:confused:

• Advertisement

Either the word went out you were on the way and they decided discretion was the better part of valour and stayed at home or the word didn't get out in time and they all missed a golden oppurtunity, I wonder which it was:confused:

definitely the former!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

How would you know a tanker is going to improde? i have a tank and a inward crease mark approx 1/3 / 1/2 of the tank (front part at about 7 pm on the tank) Defo didnt hit it. Its only a 1300 tank.:rolleyes: Ya pay for what ye get i know but i only put out a few loads a year. Any ideas

If it got a whack, then it could be ok. It it sucked in, then you could be in trouble in the future. Are there reinforcing rings inside it? It may have just moved until it met the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bizzum wrote: »
    The Cavan lads on here will surely head for a pint or two after their performance tonight against the aul enemy Meath. Interesting times!
    shhh! Let us never speak of this again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

I have chance of renting 10 acres this year. No sheds on it. Was thinking of buying 10 frssian bull calves for it. Make hay if grass to spare later on and sell at end of year. Was wondering would I break even? And what age calves can be put out to grass and crunch

Feeling a it sorry for myself alright. went for a walk out through the cattle and decided i might pull out the roller this week, although i mightnt be sober yet so i'll decide tomorrow. good crowd out around here last night. stay the f*k outta bed.. you will regret it when your watchin the ceiling at 3 tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Dupont wrote: »
    I have chance of renting 10 acres this year. No sheds on it. Was thinking of buying 10 frssian bull calves for it. Make hay if grass to spare later on and sell at end of year. Was wondering would I break even? And what age calves can be put out to grass and crunch
    Ive 10 nice calves id let you have @ €200 a piece .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

td5man wrote: »
    What age. Have a couple farmers I work for said will sell to me.

Dupont wrote: »
    What age. Have a couple farmers I work for said will sell to me.
    IF you want to put them out to grass they would want to be at least 10-12 weeks old. doubt you will have any bother finding lads to sell to you this year.

td5man wrote: »
    only 200, i'd say you could get more with the year thats in it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

jes was stomach tubing a calf earlier and the blasted thing broke, had to get my fingers in his throat to get it out. thank god i could reach it. Never heard of that happening before:confused:

• Advertisement

12 cows calved while i was away last week, all where written in the book in the dairy, i assumed it was right and regisitered calves on line on friday night, when i looked yesterday , i registered a blue bull as a friesian , what do i do to correct this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

12 cows calved while i was away last week, all where written in the book in the dairy, i assumed it was right and regisitered calves on line on friday night, when i looked yesterday , i registered a blue bull as a friesian , what do i do to correct this?

There is an amendment form somewhere on the dept website but you need the card back to send it off with the form.

what difference does it make if his end destination is only the hook? often buy cattle where the carpet doesnt match the curtain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Adam's father is as much saying the same thing on Countryfile ... it's on at the mo;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Muckit wrote: »
    Adam's father is as much saying the same thing on Countryfile ... it's on at the mo;)

You can blood test to see if the heifer is fine,

dzer2 wrote: »
    There is an amendment form somewhere on the dept website but you need the card back to send it off with the form.

Whelan, Its a 94B form, can't be got online for some reason (or wasn't the time I needed one), the local dvo office said they would post me out one, I got them to email it to me instead, as I needed it in a hurry. PM me on your email and I can forward it on to ya!

what difference does it make if his end destination is only the hook? often buy cattle where the carpet doesnt match the curtain

I've a fr cow registered as a Charolais some how, similarly we haven't seen the need to change it yet! Only annoying thing is her EBI shows up as zero, I don't know what bull she is off, but she should be over the 100 anyways.

I just send them a letter with card explaining mistake, usually works

Still waiting on contractor o put out slurry, gettin itchy feet, rain comin in Wednesday

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »
    I just send them a letter with card explaining mistake, usually works
    then i have the calf registered as a bb that is a fr... will wait til i get the cards and the bvd results and will send a note then, do you send the letter to the dvo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement