Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

got testing done, its so much easier when you dont have to blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan1 wrote: »
    got testing done, its so much easier when you dont have to blood

Any idea what the delay was?

Another cow breaking down to calve early enough for a CH here, just the bare 2 weeks and same bull as had the twins last week.

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Any idea what the delay was?

Another cow breaking down to calve early enough for a CH here, just the bare 2 weeks and same bull as had the twins last week.
    didnt hear anything yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Gosh it got cold once the sun went. Harsh wind out there tonight. Still weather for the overalls for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Wasn't it a lovely spell ? I emptied half the shed and fed outside, they hardly touched the silage. Spent their time picking around the ditches. A few calved out too which was a bonus.
    I guess they'll be all in again by tomorrow evening....grass not all that plentiful yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Wasn't it a lovely spell ? I emptied half the shed and fed outside, they hardly touched the silage. Spent their time picking around the ditches. A few calved out too which was a bonus.
    I guess they'll be all in again by tomorrow evening....grass not all that plentiful yet.
    Yes it was good to get them out while it lasted. Fully anticipated they'd be back in again. Some scarce silage saved though so now should be alright for the Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Beautiful mild eveming here will be mushrooms in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

didnt hear anything yet

Make something up...........I can't take the tension :-)

Bizzum wrote: »
    Make something up...........I can't take the tension :-)
    maybe he just couldnt face testing here:D

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Registered a pedigree bull calf last week. AI details supplied to ICBF show cow being inseminated on 08/04/2012. AI docket has an almost unreadable 08/05/2012 which shows the cow up on the pedigree society system as having brought over 6 weeks with her time. It was the only ai record that appeared on ICBF from AI company. The rest had to be entered manually for ICBF. Have to DNA test the bugger now!

The last time I DNA tested, I got back a printout of the result, and the probability of it being true. Weatherbys it was too. Simple enough process. You'll fly it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Just spotted the post count here whose gonna get post 10000

Just spotted the post count here whose gonna get post 10000

Don't they usually lock a thread around the 10000 mark and re-open a part 2 type thread?

maybe he just couldnt face testing here:D

Ahh........The old "County Council emergency" excuse. Sure:eek:

Don't they usually lock a thread around the 10000 mark and re-open a part 2 type thread?
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My oldest is making his communion in May and wants to buy a breeding heifer. What do ye recommend, he is keen on Hereford as his grandad had them. What would ye beef guys recommend and where should I go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

It all depends on how he plans on selling the offspring. Will you finish them or sell weanlings or stores?

If going for weanlings a blonde or parthanaise and cross to a blue I think. If finishing I would go for an angus. Easy calved and will finish well off grass.

delaval wrote: »
    My oldest is making his communion in May and wants to buy a breeding heifer. What do ye recommend, he is keen on Hereford as his grandad had them. What would ye beef guys recommend and where should I go?
    eldest lad got a red white head xheifer calf for christmas he loves it, feeds it etc, a great investment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭mf240

A high type holstien heifer

It all depends on how he plans on selling the offspring. Will you finish them or sell weanlings or stores?

If going for weanlings a blonde or parthanaise and cross to a blue I think. If finishing I would go for an angus. Easy calved and will finish well off grass.
    He thinking of selling weaned if male and keeping female. I was thinking pure bred he would own but would be a hobby for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Rain landed here light drizzle, lime going out in morning, :mad: fcuk it 12 more hours is all I asked

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    A high type holstien heifer
    I'd rather he buy land lice:eek::eek::eek:

He thinking of selling weaned if male and keeping female. I was thinking pure bred he would own but would be a hobby for me

He'll fill the place with stock on you in no length so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Hereford seem to be on the up at the moment. If going down that line buy a polled animal. thats where the breed is heading and there is no point in getting left behind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Does the land lice breeders have a good young members section? Try find out which one of the breed societies have a good young members, bit of craic, social life etc.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have just what you want!! I will have no problem accepting communion money either

blue5000 wrote: »
    Does the land lice breeders have a good young members section? Try find out which one of the breed societies have a good young members, bit of craic, social life etc.

Sheep society, young members, bit of craic, social life --- the mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

eldest lad got a red white head xheifer calf for christmas he loves it, feeds it etc, a great investment
    Be nice in the freezer :D

Twin heifers just arrived:eek:

Nightmare at first as my father was away at a meeting and i could find 3 feet after going up to my armpit. Luckily enough I knew 2 were hind feet so I deduced that it was either twins or a calf coming arseways.

Seeing as we had twins just last week......I called the vet:pac:

Anyone else having twins off this bull; Crossmolina Euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I'd rather he buy land lice:eek::eek::eek:

Jeez you don't like sheep do you, lambing here at the moment, seven day week for the total month of march.... nearly as bad as milking cows , after that we try to get the work done in a two day week.....well its been a long winter, some days I had to work as much as two hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

If they are it has nothing to do with the bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

rancher wrote: »
    Jeez you don't like sheep do you, lambing here at the moment, seven day week for the total month of march.... nearly as bad as milking cows , after that we try to get the work done in a two day week.....well its been a long winter, some days I had to work as much as two hours

did you sync them rancher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Twin heifers just arrived:eek:

Nightmare at first as my father was away at a meeting and i could find 3 feet after going up to my armpit. Luckily enough I knew 2 were hind feet so I deduced that it was either twins or a calf coming arseways.

Seeing as we had twins just last week......I called the vet:pac:

wet weather brings more twins as nature thinks more calves will mean more will survive:confused:, only messin, i have 4 sets of twins this year ,1 down 3 to go:p

what sort of bell ends are taking land in KK. I see in the Indo land make I think €330 to go into maize. I cant make growing maize stack up this year @ €150 an acre so how are these people making it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

what sort of bell ends are taking land in KK. I see in the Indo land make I think €330 to go into maize. I cant make growing maize stack up this year @ €150 an acre so how are these people making it work.

This is the sunny south east you know:P:P

It is impossible to get land down here every time a parcel goes up for sale the locals go crazy then when they have sold everything to get it they stick trees on it:confused:

A 16ac parcel up the road from me is up for rent this year. It is in grass and has a bid of €5,100 on it at the moment and is not set at that yet. A dairy farmer is taking it to run replacements.

If they are it has nothing to do with the bull.

Never knew that! Thanks though :) On my third change of clothes in 12 hours, Mammy Kovu won't be happy:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

kboc wrote: »
    did you sync them rancher?

No,,,depending on ram effect, scanner says they're all coming together even though they were divided in two halves with seventeen days between letting out the rams to the second bunch

Anyone able to do a screenshot of this? It mightn't last that long:D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4679136

For as long as it lasts:

View2-18081105.jpeg

had a cow calving this morning, calf was coming backwards and was a week or 2 early, got him out and hung him over gate, put water in his ear and straw up his nose, put him under red light.... fecker died there a while ago, always after testing theres a few casualties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    Have to DNA test the bugger now!

Did you have to post off hair clippings? Good practice for this year's PB calves. The Limousin, Charolais and IHFA are 3 cattle societies that are genomic testing all calves born from here on in. Only right in a way I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Did you have to post off hair clippings? Good practice for this year's PB calves. The Limousin, Charolais and IHFA are 3 cattle societies that are genomic testing all calves born from here on in. Only right in a way I suppose.

Just off the phone. They have agreed to accept the ai docket as proof of sire. I asked her about the Genomic testing and she said that it would have to be done, but they cover most of the cost of that. If i had to have a dna test done, I'd have to cover the cost.

Know I got a letter about the Genomic testing - must have a read of it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

had a cow calving this morning, calf was coming backwards and was a week or 2 early, got him out and hung him over gate, put water in his ear and straw up his nose, put him under red light.... fecker died there a while ago, always after testing theres a few casualties

Sorry to hear that whelan1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Anyone able to do a screenshot of this? It mightn't last that long:D
    Attached...:D

Just back in from the shed checking on a heifer. I am on the graveyard shift tonight it seems.

rancher wrote: »
    We were reared with sheep, if I got out of cows tomorrow I would deffo get into sheep............they do not go wellwith cows:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

We were reared with sheep, if I got out of cows tomorrow I would deffo get into sheep............they do not go wellwith cows:):):)

we run 330 ewes along with a dairy herd , they actually get on very well

That land is in Ballacolla south Laois. The big money €380 was for carrotts maize ground made 250 and so did grazing ground.

This would be one of the those areas where there would be fierce demand for land.....still doesn't add up does it? Same auctioneer stated land was making 10-15k/acre.

Just back in from the shed checking on a heifer. I am on the graveyard shift tonight it seems.

Went down there for a look. Blister just burst. Put the hand in, got a big dry leg. The heifer had never broke down on the baring either. Pulled the calf and there he was, a lovely limo bull, as dead as a ****ing doornail. She had been leaving a pinkish red discharge behind her everywhere she lay down for the last ten days or so, so I feared the worst. I am as sick as a pig now. Going to have a cup of tea and off to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Went down there for a look. Blister just burst. Put the hand in, got a big dry leg. The heifer had never broke down on the baring either. Pulled the calf and there he was, a lovely limo bull, as dead as a ****ing doornail. She had been leaving a pinkish red discharge behind her everywhere she lay down for the last ten days or so, so I feared the worst. I am as sick as a pig now. Going to have a cup of tea and off to bed.

That's a pain in the hole.

Does anyone else think it a fuppen disgrace what Thomas Crosbie holdings have done with their media company. Weasel there way out of debts, god knows how many people they have shafted and businesses put to the walk with this move that allows them to have a fresh start tomorrow morning. A joke

TCH owns the Examiner who print a farm section so its ag related :D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement