Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Does anyone else think it a fuppen disgrace what Thomas Crosbie holdings have done with their media company. Weasel there way out of debts and god knows how many people they have shafted and business put to the walk with this mover and allowed to have a fresh start tomorrow morning. A joke

TCH owns the Examiner who print a farm section so its ag related :D:D

They didn't even have the decency to change the name on the new company, well not much anyway. The courts are being used day-in day-out at the moment for schemes like this often to get companies out of extortionate leases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Does anyone else think it a fuppen disgrace what Thomas Crosbie holdings have done with their media company. Weasel there way out of debts, god knows how many people they have shafted and businesses put to the walk with this move that allows them to have a fresh start tomorrow morning. A joke

TCH owns the Examiner who print a farm section so its ag related :D:D

How many other companies around the country have done the same thing?
    A large quarry and construction company near us developed 2 castle hotels and paid nobody for the work. Our diesel supplier went bust because they owed them €350,000, a local electrician went bust when they owed him €150,000, a plumbing company went bust because they were owed €250k.

The 2 hotels are being promoted as big venues with several celebrity weddings to boot. Locals won't go near them. The company split their holdings into 3 divisions - a construction division, a hotel division and a quarry division. The construction division owes €150 million because of the debts from the hotels and houses built in Dublin. The hotels are running separate. the quarry is running and is owed several million from the construction business - so if there is any payout when the liquidator gets in, the quarry will get some of its own money back. Funny that all 3 businesses were a single entity until the property crash. Owner still has porche, Lambourgini and helicopter parked outside his big house. But he has had to hire private security to make sure that the people he ripped off don't get their pound of flesh!

No wonder the country is a shambles. This guy is linked to major political figures also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

reilig wrote: »
    A large quarry and construction company near us developed 2 castle hotels and paid nobody for the work. Our diesel supplier went bust because they owed them €350,000, a local electrician went bust when they owed him €150,000, a plumbing company went bust because they were owed €250k.

The 2 hotels are being promoted as big venues with several celebrity weddings to boot. Locals won't go near them. The company split their holdings into 3 divisions - a construction division, a hotel division and a quarry division. The construction division owes €150 million because of the debts from the hotels and houses built in Dublin. The hotels are running separate. the quarry is running and is owed several million from the construction business - so if there is any payout when the liquidator gets in, the quarry will get some of its own money back. Funny that all 3 businesses were a single entity until the property crash. Owner still has porche, Lambourgini and helicopter parked outside his big house. But he has had to hire private security to make sure that the people he ripped off don't get their pound of flesh!

No wonder the country is a shambles. This guy is linked to major political figures also!
    some of these people really have no shame , jeeny if i owed some one money for months never mind years i wouldnt show my face in public.... yet we will be the ones paying for their smart arsedness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Well said Reilig, i know the company you are talking of.
    It sums up this country, the sad thing is that these f*****s will be wealthy for generations and the average PAYE worker of the country will be screwed for generations.

On a seperate point.
    Doing a crossword at the moment, anyone know where brian odriscoll had his wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

adne wrote: »

It sums up this country, the sad thing is that these f*****s will be wealthy for generations and the average PAYE worker of the country will be screwed for generations.

On a seperate point.
    Doing a crossword at the moment, anyone know where brian odriscoll had his wedding?

Drico was married in lough rynn co. Leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Our diesel supplier went bust because they owed them €350,000, a local electrician went bust when they owed him €150,000, a plumbing company went bust because they were owed €250k.

Why did those three business' let them run up such huge credits with them? That is bad business. I know of a dealer who used to operate in two local marts. He was ran out of one for being a bad payer, but the other mart still have him, why? Because he owes them so much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Suckler

Why did those three business' let them run up such huge credits with them? That is bad business. I know of a dealer who used to operate in two local marts. He was ran out of one for being a bad payer, but the other mart still have him, why? Because he owes them so much money.

And why do people do business with these dealers? Because being a cute hoor is still seen as some sort of badge of honour by some. People still fail to realise that the dishonesty of others increased business costs we all have to suffer.

It's phrases like 'bad-payer' that dress it up from what it is. Thievery and nothing less. It's the same with tax avoidance, it's stealing from the people of Ireland yet those who are caught are never shy of a few friends.

It's not just business's that are prone to this level of dealing, I've heard many tradesmen brought in to do jobs in peoples houses being stone-walled on completion - lines like "you'll get paid at the end of the month, just like all my other bills".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

On a seperate point.

crossword eh.... :rolleyes: How many letters?!! :D ya chancer!
    I like the twinplex in the indo. Better when there's a few heads at it

Suckler wrote: »
    And why do people do business with these dealers? Because being a cute hoor is still seen as some sort of badge of honour by some. People still fail to realise that the dishonesty of others increased business costs we all have to suffer.

It's phrases like 'bad-payer' that dress it up from what it is. Thievery and nothing less. It's the same with tax avoidance, it's stealing from the people of Ireland yet those who are caught are never shy of a few friends.

It's not just business's that are prone to this level of dealing, I've heard many tradesmen brought in to do jobs in peoples houses being stone-walled on completion - lines like "you'll get paid at the end of the month, just like all my other bills".

It's one dealer in particular. It's not as if the farmer has much of a choice who to sell his animal to once it's put on the market. The marts should be more clued in to that type of ****e acting, as they're an important outlet for farmers.

As for the big jobs, get paid stage by stage on time or down tools/remove what's already put in and walk out. A busy fool can work all the hours God sends on the promise of payment tomorrow.

Muckit wrote: »
    crossword eh.... :rolleyes: How many letters?!! :D ya chancer!
    I like the twinplex in the indo. Better when there's a few heads at it

Farmer jacks answer will fit. Two words 5 letters and 4 letters

• Advertisement

As for the big jobs, get paid stage by stage on time or down tools/remove what's already put in and walk out. A busy fool can work all the hours God sends on the promise of payment tomorrow.

Careful - there's nearly always a clause in the contract that states once the materials have been incorporated into the works then the are deemed property of the contracting agent. It screwed over many a subcontractor in it's time.

Careful - there's nearly always a clause in the contract that states once the materials have been incorporated into the works then the are deemed property of the contracting agent. It screwed over many a subcontractor in it's time.

I wonder then could one get an injunction on the job due to lack of payment. Stop the whole shooting match.

The debts just built with the promise of "next week we'll pay" ya or "when you have all done you will be paid". The development was promoted as being giant with a promise of loads of future work from it. The developer formed a new company of the hotels when they were built and the hotels was signed over from the development company to the hotel business - meaning that the hotels were debt free, but the development company owed a fortune to its suppliers and workers. Then the development company went into liquidation and the vast majority of the debts were unrecovered - but they couldn't touch the hotels for it.

I wonder then could one get an injunction on the job due to lack of payment. Stop the whole shooting match.

Strikes etc. were threatened a few times - I was working for the main contractor - but nobody wanted to go that far and risk getting nothing for a long time. The case would inevitably be dragged out. Also you can be sure the payments clause referred to back-to-back payments whereby the subcontractors payment was dependent upon the main contractor getting paid. How the subcontractor could verify this was near impossible. Smaller subbies suffered than those with larger clout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

On a seperate point.

ok i am not with it, i am tired as was up half night with 2 cows, but was that a smart question in relation to the post before by reilig:rolleyes::D

reilig are these 2 hotels not booming, my sister was lookin at Kilronan as wedding venue, did not realise they had screwed people over, must have a quiet word with her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

On a seperate point.
    Heaven :D

collateral warranties, a great leveller,

Strikes etc. were threatened a few times - I was working for the main contractor - but nobody wanted to go that far and risk getting nothing for a long time. The case would inevitably be dragged out. Also you can be sure the payments clause referred to back-to-back payments whereby the subcontractors payment was dependent upon the main contractor getting paid. How the subcontractor could verify this was near impossible. Smaller subbies suffered than those with larger clout.

ur right suckler, subbies in this country have no rights, that needs to change,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

And here's another company with liquidators in, think a lot of money was owed to them by a chicken crowd. Anybody in Cork got more up to date news on it?
    http://www.southernstar.ie/Community/Kinsale/Joint-receivers-for-Henry-Good-Ltd-in-Kinsale-28022013.htm

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

blue5000 wrote: »
    And here's another company with liquidators in, think a lot of money was owed to them by a chicken crowd. Anybody in Cork got more up to date news on it?
    http://www.southernstar.ie/Community/Kinsale/Joint-receivers-for-Henry-Good-Ltd-in-Kinsale-28022013.htm

Nothing as of yet, great business opportunity I would think, though buying back the goodwill of suppliers maybe difficult as there is allot due. Chickens cost them big but also the "developer" attitude that griped this country had a major part to play. Jasus us farmers were fair prudent, how many have gone bust as of yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

lots of stuff up for auction for this club

http://stthomassgaaclub.com/index.php/monster-auction/

wounder what the Charlois Bull and Limousine Bull are like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

.... Jasus us farmers were fair prudent, how many have gone bust as of yet?
    If it's one thing you learn from going to a mart from a young age, it is that supply / demand dictate the price of everything. A valuable life lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

how many have gone bust as of yet?
    Working on it .

hugo29 wrote: »
    ok i am not with it, i am tired as was up half night with 2 cows, but was that a smart question in relation to the post before by reilig:rolleyes::D

word with her

No it was a smart answer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

First time using the BVD taggers just now. I'd say anyone watching would have a laugh at 3 grown men trying to read a leaflet and a puzzled looking woman in overalls staring at the taggers. I worked it out eventually but jaysus those wee tubes are hard to open!

• Advertisement

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    First time using the BVD taggers just now. I'd say anyone watching would have a laugh at 3 grown men trying to read a leaflet and a puzzled looking woman in overalls staring at the taggers. I worked it out eventually but jaysus those wee tubes are hard to open!

careful with that little black spike, dont know how many times i have been routing tru straw looking for the little fecker

careful with that little black spike, dont know how many times i have been routing tru straw looking for the little fecker
    thats why i use 2 sets of taggers, no need to remove the pin then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan1 wrote: »

That's what I did too:cool: We're ahead of the lads Whelan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I first used one of these about 3 years ago. At the time, the vet spent about 15 mins scrathing his head trying to remember how to use it. So you're not the only one...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

collateral warranties, a great leveller,

Is that like the U.S. system as it was explained to me where a subby has a lien on a building/development as long as he is not fully paid as per his contract?

• Advertisement

AH ladies us lads have only two hands:D

tried that too, always seemed to put one fcuking tagger down someplace out of reach:mad:

Is that like the U.S. system as it was explained to me where a subby has a lien on a building/development as long as he is not fully paid as per his contract?

collateral warranty can be asked for by client where design team main contractor and selected sub contractors all share the responsibility of building/development doing as it says on the tin

when parties sign up to this they do so on provision of being fully paid up when job is complete, if any one party is not paid up then they are not tied to collateral warranty

also new contracts are now out which allow clients to pay subcontractors directly if they show that the main contractor is shafting them, this will only work in situation where client and main contractor are not joined at the hip, ie seperate companies under the one umbrella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

If you can find the old ones :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

AH ladies us lads have only two hands:D

tried that too, always seemed to put one fcuking tagger down someplace out of reach:mad:
    but one of the fast ladies posted off samples without a actual sample in it, twice:D:D.

td5man wrote: »
    If you can find the old ones :(
    mmm, leave the 2 sets together and load the tags before you go into the shed- simples:D

leg wax wrote: »
    but one of the fast ladies posted off samples without a actual sample in it, twice:D:D.
    ah it would be great to be perfect, at least i admit to my errors... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

me too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

ah it would be great to be perfect, at least i admit to my errors... ;)
    errors christ i could change my name on here to errors:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

The debts just built with the promise of "next week we'll pay" ya or "when you have all done you will be paid". The development was promoted as being giant with a promise of loads of future work from it. The developer formed a new company of the hotels when they were built and the hotels was signed over from the development company to the hotel business - meaning that the hotels were debt free, but the development company owed a fortune to its suppliers and workers. Then the development company went into liquidation and the vast majority of the debts were unrecovered - but they couldn't touch the hotels for it.
    I know one of the subbies off that job, he was owed a lot of money at the time and out arrives a sales rep from them looking for the 200 odd that he owed the gravel section of the company. needless to say he got a very short answer.
    All these injunctions and rules are grat in theory but the fact of the matter is that it is nearly impossible to enforce. i had been chasing a few companies who owed serious money. (enough to take a few years off work). it was a pure waste of my time, one private client who left owing a lot was what i thought would be a fairly sure bet to recover was able to get off by agreeing to pay 20 a week needless to say that ended after a few weeks and it would have meant spending another 4500 to get the soliciters to chase it up the second time, and there is nothing to stop them keep doing it over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

jomoloney wrote: »
    we run 330 ewes along with a dairy herd , they actually get on very well
    I really envy you would love a flock of sheep. When do you lamb, do you run on a seperate block?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Is this the same company thats quoting lime at €18 /tonne with 26tonne on the docket and less than 18 actually on the load also selling blocks and concrete without vat for cash ? I thought a liquidator was appointed. Who is actually running this huxters shop . According to this weeks IFJ "Its their service that sets them apart".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Is this the same company thats quoting lime at €18 /tonne with 26tonne on the docket and less than 18 actually on the load also selling blocks and concrete without vat for cash ? I thought a liquidator was appointed. Who is actually running this huxters shop . According to this weeks IFJ "Its their service that sets them apart".

If they doing that they are giving a good service.. they are applying a small bit of vaseline and giving everyone a good servicing:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

delaval wrote: »
    I really envy you would love a flock of sheep. When do you lamb, do you run on a seperate block?

about 230 would lamb 10th Jan to 1st Feb ( before calving starts) these are moved to an outside farm

the remainder are 50/50 feb and late march , these clean up after the cows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Maloney, do you have your paddocks sheep fenced? Our neighbour got them once to clean after cows on the 2nd hour after arrival were in front of cows, sold 1 week later, that was 20 years ago and he still gets slagged about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Feckin Insomnia!
    Got to bed at twelve, woke just after three and no sleep since. Walked round the house, read a bit, watched TV, but no just can't sleep. Bet that by nine I'd sleep outside in the rain!!
    Just a leftover from when I worked nights that comes back every now and then.
    Anyone out there calving a cow or yeaning lambs. Surely by this someone is up for milking??

bbam wrote: »
    Feckin Insomnia!
    Got to bed at twelve, woke just after three and no sleep since. Walked round the house, read a bit, watched TV, but no just can't sleep. Bet that by nine I'd sleep outside in the rain!!
    Just a leftover from when I worked nights that comes back every now and then.
    Anyone out there calving a cow or yeaning lambs. Surely by this someone is up for milking??
    morning, shiity morning here,i'd say it rained most of the night, reading test this morning, fingers x

morning, shiity morning here,i'd say it rained most of the night, reading test this morning, fingers x

Fingers crossed indeed.
    I can confirm its been hoooping down rain here since three anyway. Misty looking too. Not an outside day much, hopefully will clear a bit for your reading. Will they all have to go through the crush? We mostly get away with the vet walking through them at a time that suits her best. She heasd down to te yard and by the time I get gear on and go down she's washing her boots to leave.

Just browsing over in the weather forum and our man MT and the other weather people are talking chances of snow on Sunday night into Monday.
    I had really got Beyond the notion of much snow at this stage.

I'm not fully up to scratch on their liquidity so I don't want to say too much. I though that the quarry company was out of liquidation and it was only the construction business that was in liquidation - but I'm not too sure? I don't buy anything from them - neither do too many people around me.
    I just know that they have serious political clout and they use it to their advantage also.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Just browsing over in the weather forum and our man MT and the other weather people are talking chances of snow on Sunday night into Monday.
    I had really got Beyond the notion of much snow at this stage.
    paddys day is always cold though, i never bring the kids to the parade as its always freezing and they will end up with colds etc, give them some treats and let them watch parade on the tv

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement