Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

bbam wrote: »
    Just browsing over in the weather forum and our man MT and the other weather people are talking chances of snow on Sunday night into Monday.
    I had really got Beyond the notion of much snow at this stage.
    We're off to Lanzarote on sunday for a week so let it snow! Last thing I want to hear on my return is 'you missed a great week last week'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

delaval wrote: »
    Maloney, do you have your paddocks sheep fenced? Our neighbour got them once to clean after cows on the 2nd hour after arrival were in front of cows, sold 1 week later, that was 20 years ago and he still gets slagged about it

we have kinda moved away from the paddock system ... more like blocks which we subdivide for the cows and then the sheep clean out the block

I know we are delaying re growth a fair bit , but we work off a buffer area which we use if grass is scarce or mow for round bales otherwise

we started this system in the late 80's when limited cash flow and unavailability of quota prevented expansion into dairying, and have no intention of changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Right, it's so bloody miserable outside that I'm lighting a fire in the sitting room, putting my feet up, grabbing a nice fluffy cat, galaxy bar and a new book and not moving all day.

........is what I would be saying if a cow wasn't sick to calve:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Right, it's so bloody miserable outside that I'm lighting a fire in the sitting room, putting my feet up, grabbing a nice fluffy cat, galaxy bar and a new book and not moving all day.

........is what I would be saying if a cow wasn't sick to calve:(

What do you read?

What do you read?

Everything. Absolutely everything, I think we had this conversation before as I'm getting a bit of deja vu.....:confused:

Currently reading between 3 books- Water for Elephants, Beowolf and a Devid Gemmel book called Troy.

• Advertisement

Everything. Absolutely everything, I think we had this conversation before as I'm getting a bit of deja vu.....:confused:

Currently reading between 3 books- Water for Elephants, Beowolf and a Devid Gemmel book called Troy.

I forget! Reading for college at the moment. Have you read any Bill Bryson?

I forget! Reading for college at the moment. Have you read any Bill Bryson?

Nooooo....but his books seem to be good. Dammit I need new bookshelves though, I've resorted to piling them against the walls and someday I will be buried under them. What are you studying that requries Bill Bryson reading material?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Nooooo....but his books seem to be good. Dammit I need new bookshelves though, I've resorted to piling them against the walls and someday I will be buried under them. What are you studying that requries Bill Bryson reading material?:confused:

Best thing I ever got was the kindle. I didn't read many books for several years after I left college - I think I was just burned out, but the kindle has re kindled my like for books.

I read him for pleasure and interest. Read his Down Under if you get a chance.

For study I am reading postmodernism. I have one last essay to finish on a topic of my choice. I'm discussing the portrayal of the Indian in westerns. Interesting if I could get my ass in gear!

In history it's Ireland since 1916. One essay left and an exam then finished.

For study I am reading postmodernism. I have one last essay to finish on a topic of my choice. I'm discussing the portrayal of the Indian in westerns. Interesting if I could get my ass in gear!

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Best thing I ever got was the kindle. I didn't read many books for several years after I left college - I think I was just burned out, but the kindle has re kindled my like for books.

But I like the feel of a physical book, plus they look awesome when you get a bookshelf full.

That sounds really interesting. Does it mean you get to watch a lot of John Wayne movies?:D

I'm just applying for a course starting this autumn. Fingers crossed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Off to Paris for the weekend. A treat for the misses before lambing starts and she doesn't see me for the month. At least it's wet. I won't be thinking of jobs I could be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

clear test.... had a crappy morning, cut my finger while taking out milk sock this morning, at one stage i thought i would need to put one of the rings for the cows tail on it to stop it bleeding, a real clean cut, now have 2 hello kitty plasters on it, seems to be stopped... had to get mechanic to tractor , thought alternator was gone, he put a new one on but turns out the old alternator was ok, it was just the relay that was stuck, then to top things off some idiot reversed the feeder in to the silage pit wall and did in the bearing at the back, as you can imagine my mood is fantastic, cant wait for wine this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    clear test.... had a crappy morning, cut my finger while taking out milk sock this morning, at one stage i thought i would need to put one of the rings for the cows tail on it to stop it bleeding, a real clean cut, now have 2 hello kitty plasters on it, seems to be stopped... had to get mechanic to tractor , thought alternator was gone, he put a new one on but turns out the old alternator was ok, it was just the relay that was stuck, then to top things off some idiot reversed the feeder in to the silage pit wall and did in the bearing at the back, as you can imagine my mood is fantastic, cant wait for wine this evening

Bad but clear test outweighs all else really.

clear test.... wine this evening

The in-betweens don't matter!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

had a heifer abort this morning, misery. first casualty in 58 so not too bad really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

By the sounds of it you're studying Arts? Forgive my ignorance but what is postmodernism?

clear test.... my mood is fantastic, cant wait for wine this evening
    Now that reads better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I'm discussing the portrayal of the Indian in westerns.

Fairly anti-farmer I'd say judging from the amount of farm houses they filmed them burning down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

For study I am reading postmodernism. I have one last essay to finish on a topic of my choice. I'm discussing the portrayal of the Indian in westerns. Interesting if I could get my ass in gear

On the topic of Indians and readings. Bury my heart at wounded knee by Dee Brown, is a great read for anyone that grew up listening to all the great Indian leaders names. Sad in many ways but brilliant read.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

would you be able to put the bearing in youself just out of curiosity?

f140 wrote: »
    would you be able to put the bearing in youself just out of curiosity?
    a lad from edgeworthstown is coming over tonight or in the morning, i am not sure if there is other internal damage done, so better to let someone who knows what they are doing to look at it:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Theres a new keenan rep in the area so just buy a new one when he calls,he said he has some good secondhand ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

have a dinner dance tonight and the little one is sick with the flu, 3 cows sick to calve and now have to wait for bulk tank to wash as milkman never put it on

td5man wrote: »
    Theres a new keenan rep in the area so just buy a new one when he calls,he said he has some good secondhand ones.
    no this one will do us a while touch wood never had much trouble with it... my day got worse, got 2 texts for high tbc and scc and when i was doing the shopping i dropped a pack of blueberries on the floorof the shop, i just said "fook It" out loud in lidl, you could see everyone moving away quite fast... i am opening a bottle of wine verrrrrrry soon

no this one will do us a while touch wood never had much trouble with it... my day got worse, got 2 texts for high tbc and scc and when i was doing the shopping i dropped a pack of blueberries on the floorof the shop, i just said "fook It" out loud in lidl, you could see everyone moving away quite fast... i am opening a bottle of wine verrrrrrry soon
    What ever about the blueberries, don't drop the bottle of wine!

Just one of those days, roll on tomorrow

11yo car just passed its NCT :D

I laughed to myself earlier in the Gym I overheard a 14 y.o. young lad excitedly telling his freinds how he was goin to work on his fathers farm for the summer for €15/day. He had it all planned out what he was going to buy, all sorts of games/airsoft equip.
    It was nice to hear a young lad being excited at the prospect of a bit of work. :)

just do it wrote: »

My neighbours jeep passed his on Tuesday.
    That night he rang to say it had broken down on the way to bingo:D

• Advertisement

My neighbours jeep passed his on Tuesday.
    That night he rang to say it had broken down on the way to bingo:D
    did anyone ever notice after the doe/nct something always happens your car, handbrake went on jeep when i was coming out of test centre, clutch went on my dads car a week after nct , spark plug hadnt been tightened properly on sisters car and gave a bit of trouble..........

By the sounds of it you're studying Arts? Forgive my ignorance but what is postmodernism?

It's very confusing. John McGahern could be described as postmodern. Seamus Heaney and Pat Baker. It isn't my favourite type of literature. More into the Romantic Period.

We study film as well which is amazingly interesting.

Fairly anti-farmer I'd say judging from the amount of farm houses they filmed them burning down :D

It's very interesting the way Indians have been portrayed from the early silent movies to modern film.

But I like the feel of a physical book, plus they look awesome when you get a bookshelf full.

That sounds really interesting. Does it mean you get to watch a lot of John Wayne movies?:D

I'm just applying for a course starting this autumn. Fingers crossed:D

I don't really like John Wayne. J'adore Clint Eastwood.

What course are you applying for?

It's very confusing. John McGahern could be described as postmodern. Seamus Heaney and Pat Baker. It isn't my favourite type of literature. More into the Romantic Period.

We study film as well which is amazingly interesting.

Are you an AI man? :D

All jokes aside, I'm a big Fantasy/Sci Fi fan. I love Memoirs too esp 1930-1970s. Crime thrillers e.g. Scarpetta novels, Patterson, some of King. But absolutely anything, anything (:o) to do with traditional farming in Ireland and I'm in love with it. I just finished reading 'The Irish Draught Horse; A History' and it had such an insight into the begone era.
    My own father was laughing at me reading about economic roles of the workhorse!
    I don't really like John Wayne. J'adore Clint Eastwood.

What course are you applying for?

I love Spag westerns. Sundays and Ch4! I did Journalism before....now heading for the physical animal side of things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Had a good day today. I got the knacker to call for 4 calves that I had been nursing, I took one look at them this am and said no more it was the best thing really glad they're gone as they were just miserable.

Bob you'll love this. One of our landlords called me yesterday offering 24 acres of grass foc, 1300 cover up where our heifers are, he could not have timed it better as we are just out of grass for them. He had one condition that I put up a permenant electric fence and he would supply the materials. As you can imagine milked early calves done and along with student we got it done and heifers into it by 3.30pm and were back to milk at 4.30 only half an hour late, so all in all a good day

• Advertisement

Was contacted last evening by our local IFA chair asking would we go to Cork tomorrow to demonstrate at Coveny's office. Anyone going, we can't as guy coming to hopefully buy the last of our heifers tomorrow.

All jokes aside, I'm a big Fantasy/Sci Fi fan. I love Memoirs too esp 1930-1970s. Crime thrillers e.g. Scarpetta novels, Patterson, some of King. But absolutely anything, anything (:o) to do with traditional farming in Ireland and I'm in love with it. I just finished reading 'The Irish Draught Horse; A History' and it had such an insight into the begone era.

I love Spag westerns. Sundays and Ch4! I did Journalism before....now heading for the physical animal side of things...

If you ever get the chance, read Melmoth the Wanderer. It's my all time favourite but it can be hard going. One of the best Irish books ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

My uncle car passed nct yesterday, 2 mile out the road, brakes went, figure that one out:confused:

Whelan1 I am with you on the alcohol , going to fridge for beer now

Kovu read Steven erikson "a tale of the Malazan" brilliant read, or "wheel of time" by Robert Jordan

• Advertisement

Whelan1 I got your problem, just realised tonight a calf I registered yesterday as a heifer is a bull,:eek: happy days really

Anyone follow soccer, league of Ireland starts back tonight,

hugo29 wrote: »
    Kovu read Steven erikson "a tale of the Malazan" brilliant read, or "wheel of time" by Robert Jordan

I'll read the Erikson but I read through the series of the others. My poor pockets!:eek: Easons really overcharge. I'm glad I got online suppliers now.

I'll read the Erikson but I read through the series of the others. My poor pockets!:eek: Easons really overcharge. I'm glad I got online suppliers now.

I only ever buy from the book depository now. Prices are good, free delivery, and I find them very reliable.
    Ever read any of Temple Grandin stuff? If not, do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

delaval wrote: »
    Bob you'll love this. One of our landlords called me yesterday offering 24 acres of grass foc, 1300 cover up where our heifers are, he could not have timed it better as we are just out of grass for them. He had one condition that I put up a permenant electric fence and he would supply the materials. As you can imagine milked early calves done and along with student we got it done and heifers into it by 3.30pm and were back to milk at 4.30 only half an hour late, so all in all a good day

You just make my day worse with that story :mad:

Rang a guy who had a cross fat 3yr old animal to sell, too late he said as he had got the knacker man to shoot him today :mad::mad:. FFS like its hard enough to get them to live beside shooting a perfect animal. whats worse is that he is looking after an estate of a guy that died recently who I often bought cattle from. At xmas he had only 3 animals left and I said I would buy them and round them up myself. No he said leave them there. he managed to lose the two other animals in the last month(probably black quarter) and now shoot the last bullock. Some stockman

I was bring home a bunch of heifers from a farm a guy leased us winter grazing. 95% of the fields I passed on the way home I could have stopped and dropped the ramp and let them off in. Loads of grass in the fields and no animals grazing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Had cattle breaking out of an outwintered field that I have leased and goning into another grass field of mine, mains fence is down at the moment so I taught I was cute by spreading the field with slurry 8 days ago. I might as well have spread molasses on the field as every time I pass the cattle are dotted all over it grazing away. Back in there winter quarters there is good silage, beet and grain in the feeder so its not like there winter grub is bad. They do the strangest things sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Had cattle breaking out of an outwintered field that I have leased and goning into another grass field of mine, mains fence is down at the moment so I taught I was cute by spreading the field with slurry 8 days ago. I might as well have spread molasses on the field as every time I pass the cattle are dotted all over it grazing away. Back in there winter quarters there is good silage, beet and grain in the feeder so its not like there winter grub is bad. They do the strangest things sometimes
    Too much time to kill and i suppose they like a bit of rough every now and then :D

Bob you would really have to wonder what kind of knobheads some people can be. we had a guy near us, things going bad alot of stock lost due to bad stockmanship. He was down to about 50 cows in this massive cubicle house, 7 or 8 really need out of there in bad shape. We let them out to a paddock as he wanted us to help. We then organised for a guy like yourself to buy rest as they were only fit to cull. You guessed, he let cows back into shed and knacker got them all over next month. Do you think he sold to the cattle men, you guessed right. That was last spring, he now has 20 left and sold no beast in last 12 mts. Some are beyond help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same guy would tell you how to put a tail on a cow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

49801 is having a clearance suckler sale tomorrow in Macroom mart. (9 March 2013)
    Seeing that he hasn't plugged it, i'll do it for him.:D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4629106

You were telling us how much better silage was compared to spring grass, your cattle are telling you something or are they cull dairy stock that know the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

pakalasa wrote: »
    49801 is having a clearance suckler sale tomorrow in Macroom mart. (9 March 2013)
    Seeing that he hasn't plugged it, i'll do it for him.:D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/4629106

Really nice looking bull . Good luck in the sale 49801

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement