Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Had one of those last year for the first time in years. Called the vet, he tubed him like you would feeding a calf..

I asked about using a needle and he said no need and it added the risk of peritinitous (not sure of the spelling!) or other infection..plus once the tube is in you can does the calf easily as well.

Took two goes to get him sorted but he was grand.
    whelan1 wrote: »
    had a calf with bloat this morning.. put a big needle in its side , god the smell was yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Heading to work this morning and as I was passing my eye caught a fourteen month old supposedly weaned heifer sucking a newly calfed cow; the feckin B***h...

She has been off her own cow for months and months at this stage and still want to suck.

Had one two years ago,, In a pen,. not near a cow for nearly six months during the bad winter.. Sold him to a neighbour and ran straight out of the field and start to suck a cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Figerty wrote: »
    Had one of those last year for the first time in years. Called the vet, he tubed him like you would feeding a calf..

I asked about using a needle and he said no need and it added the risk of peritinitous (not sure of the spelling!) or other infection..plus once the tube is in you can does the calf easily as well.

Took two goes to get him sorted but he was grand.
    i tried putting a tube down her nose , also at this stage i was desperate , put a flutter valve needle in her side and she went down... she was dead the next morning

off on my holidays tomorrow - for 4 nights , its 18 degrees in spain at the minute, happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Was driving back to my office from a meeting a while ago and the car in front of me breaked suddenly - nearly ran up his arse. The poor fooker was after hitting a chaorlais suck calf that had ran across the road in front of her. Calf had just been let out with the cow and he took a run, jumped across a ditch and bang. Calf stone dead and about €2k in damage to a 2011 Citroen C5. Not pretty!!

reilig wrote: »
    Was driving back to my office from a meeting a while ago and the car in front of me breaked suddenly - nearly ran up his arse. The poor fooker was after hitting a chaorlais suck calf that had ran across the road in front of her. Calf had just been let out with the cow and he took a run, jumped across a ditch and bang. Calf stone dead and about €2k in damage to a 2011 Citroen C5. Not pretty!!
    :eek::eek: holy ****

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

off on my holidays tomorrow - for 4 nights , its 18 degrees in spain at the minute, happy days

Have fun, God knows you've earned it this winter:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭stanflt

enjoy the hols-dont ruin it by ringing home
    everyone deserves a break:)

Well that was a first. Had a guy to look at my bull tonight who told me that my bull was too good of quality for him. Would you not buy the best quality that you could if you were buying a bull??? He knew the price before he came and he didn't even try to bargain with me. You just can't win, can you??? He said that he wanted something with less muscle and shorter - the two things that I would like to see in a bull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Well that was a first. Had a guy to look at my bull tonight who told me that my bull was too good of quality for him. Would you not buy the best quality that you could if you were buying a bull??? He knew the price before he came and he didn't even try to bargain with me. You just can't win, can you??? He said that he wanted something with less muscle and shorter - the two things that I would like to see in a bull.

Bull is half the herd, so get the best you can.
    But you know there is still a few lads who know in their heart, they will not be around at calving time. Maybe in the circumstances, going easy on the muscle is not such a bad idea. The bit of length, shouldn't get in the way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ya you've to listen to alot of sh*t:rolleyes: You'd have been in a better position if you were selling more than the one.

An uncle of mine used to sell PB LIM bulls out of the shed like that. Said he never gave out prices over the phone. When they arrived he'd point out the bulls individually and give their prices, then walk back into the house. No talking the bulls up, they spoke for themselves.

If they wanted one, they came in to get him. If they weren't happy with what they saw or price, they could drive off with no obligation or talking bullsh*t like what you just got an earful of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

feckin tyre kicker, nice looking animal if im looking at the right one, good enough value at the money

feckin tyre kicker, nice looking animal if im looking at the right one, good enough value at the money

Probably :D,

pictures are bad but will try to get a few more this evening - its a fecker to get him to stand straight when you have noone to hold him. Have another guy coming this evening who rang first looking for the tag number. He rang this morning to say that he has looked up his figures on ICBF and likes what he sees. So hopefully he might buy him.

It's good to see he's doing his homework anyway. That database is a great job alright for those into the facts and figures side.

He'I buy a few tonne of fertiliser and hopefully the new wheels for the tanker:D

Muckit wrote: »
    It's good to see he's doing his homework anyway. That database is a great job alright for those into the facts and figures side.

He'I buy a few tonne of fertiliser and hopefully the new wheels for the tanker:D

He sure will. The guy bought him this evening. Thanks to donedeal :D

• Advertisement

He sure will. The guy bought him this evening. Thanks to donedeal :D
    good result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

We bought 90 cows to calve this autumn so we can supply a bit of winter milk, got them delivered on Wednesday and yesterday one of them calved, not due for another six weeks. Puts a bit of a spanner in the works as we were intending to run the autumn calvers as a separate herd and milk first to try keep mastitis to a minimum. On the plus side we don't have to rear it as it was a bull calf so it got knocked on the head. Not ready to start feeding calves yet!

Got the mower fixed yesterday to as haven't been topping for nearly three months, topped 15 acres and swapped with the boss, Half an hour later the gearbox went on the mower! Apart from that all good in nz, it's great to see another way of milking cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

C0N0R wrote: »
    We bought 90 cows to calve this autumn so we can supply a bit of winter milk, got them delivered on Wednesday and yesterday one of them calved, not due for another six weeks. Puts a bit of a spanner in the works as we were intending to run the autumn calvers as a separate herd and milk first to try keep mastitis to a minimum. On the plus side it was a bull calf so it got knocked on the head. Not ready to start feeding calves yet!

Got the mower fixed yesterday to as haven't been topping for nearly three months, topped 15 acres and swapped with the boss, Half an hour later the gearbox went on the mower! Apart from that all good in nz, it's great to see another way of milking cows.

Jees man, what did ye use to kill the calf and is that even legal? is this common practice:confused:

Bodacious wrote: »
    Jees man, what did ye use to kill the calf and is that even legal? is this common practice:confused:

Better stress I'm in New Zealand. Bull calves get hit on the head with a hammer and thrown In a hole in the ground. As for legality I've never questioned it to be honest

Better stress I'm in New Zealand. Bull calves get hit on the head with a hammer and thrown In a hole in the ground. As for legality I've never questioned it to be honest

where abouts in nz are you. any where near mata mata:)

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    where abouts in nz are you. any where near mata mata:)

Darfield Christchurch, guy I work with is from matamata. Were you over here yourself?

On the plus side it was a bull calf so it got knocked on the head.

Now THAT is what you call Fuc*ed up.

Now THAT is what you call Fuc*ed up.

Just to clarify I'm not glad it got knocked on the head, i far rather it was sold or something a bit more humane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bull calves get hit on the head with a hammer and thrown In a hole in the ground.

Not personal comment regarding you C0N0R, but I find that practice... distasteful :(

johngalway wrote: »
    Not personal comment regarding you C0N0R, but I find that practice... distasteful :(

I would agree with you on that, that's what I've found out here, there is nowhere near the same amount of care/compassion towards the animals, there more a means to an end. For example since I've been here I've never seen the vet called out to an animal, at home with less cows the vet would have been out at least once.

I have edited my original post btw as it could easily be misconstrued.

was looking at a cow on calving camera at about half six this morning, jesus i could have sworn i saw a calf beside her and though happy days she has calved..when i went up she hadnt calved at all :o
    i must be loosing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I would agree with you on that, that's what I've found out here, there is nowhere near the same amount of care/compassion towards the animals, there more a means to an end. For example since I've been here I've never seen the vet called out to an animal, at home with less cows the vet would have been out at least once.

I have edited my original post btw as it could easily be misconstrued.

Would the purchase of a humane killer be out of the question?

What size of a farm are you working on and how many cows?

Darfield Christchurch, guy I work with is from matamata. Were you over here yourself?

no my older brother is in matamata. 600cow herd. ear to the ground wil be reporting from over there in a few weeks i think;)

was looking at a cow on calving camera at about half six this morning, jesus i could have sworn i saw a calf beside her and though happy days she has calved..when i went up she hadnt calved at all :o
    i must be loosing it

:) Id love one of those cameras ,,, "up to your neck in duvet and checking the cows!!!" but it'd want to be some camera as they all out in the field and she'd surely pick spot i couldn't see her!! Had as fine BYU Belgian blue heifer calf this morning though, she fired her out no hassle:D

funny man wrote: »
    Would the purchase of a humane killer be out of the question?

What size of a farm are you working on and how many cows?

After posting this here I hit thinking about it and asked a few questions to the 2ic here. From his experiences this is the fine thing over here but it is frowned upon and rightly so. I think vets want us to use a bolt gun to knock them out and put s hole in their head then use a piece of wire to mash their brains. He said he would struggle to do that. A few if us on the farm have just completed our gun licence's so hopefully the purchase of a rifle would solve this problem. This is the first calf I've really been here for and I didn't witness it nor will I be doing it at any stage. The reason why they do it is that bull calves are basically worthless here, you might get ten bucks after five or six days and at the cost of labour of 15 bucks an hour they see it a waste of money. But what I might try and do is see if I can get some of the calves and keep they and feed them out of my own time/money. I will be able to get milk everyday for them and so at some stage they might be worth something. Just have to run it past the boss.

I'm working on a 1050 cow farm with a 60 bail rotary shed. Milking platform of 300 hectares but 40 of that isn't irrigated so isn't much use at the moment.

• Advertisement

After posting this here I hit thinking about it and asked a few questions to the 2ic here. From his experiences this is the fine thing over here but it is frowned upon and rightly so. I think vets want us to use a bolt gun to knock them out and put s hole in their head then use a piece of wire to mash their brains. He said he would struggle to do that. A few if us on the farm have just completed our gun licence's so hopefully the purchase of a rifle would solve this problem. This is the first calf I've really been here for and I didn't witness it nor will I be doing it at any stage. The reason why they do it is that bull calves are basically worthless here, you might get ten bucks after five or six days and at the cost of labour of 15 bucks an hour they see it a waste of money. But what I might try and do is see if I can get some of the calves and keep they and feed them out of my own time/money. I will be able to get milk everyday for them and so at some stage they might be worth something. Just have to run it past the boss.

I'm working on a 1050 cow farm with a 60 bail rotary shed. Milking platform of 300 hectares but 40 of that isn't irrigated so isn't much use at the moment.

That is the humane killer and it's much more deffinite than a rifle unless you've more than a .22 calibre. on the keeping of the calves i don't belive they would be worth the effort or some other sod would be at it.

What time do you start and finish at, i'd also be interested in what a typical day's work would intale.

I'm working on a 1050 cow farm with a 60 bail rotary shed.

CONOR I hope you realise I wasn't personally trying to make you feel bad, or having a go at you personally. It was more the PRACTICE you mentioned that I was taking exception to and the attitude of farmers that carry out this practice. I do understand it's driven by price but I still don't think it's right.

Maybe I'm a bit naive though. Perhaps it is something that needs to be done, at the end of the day practicality has to come into it. Still, as yourself, not giving an animal a chance to live to maturity and receive a humane killing, doesn't rest easy with me.

Slaughter is obviously the inevitable fath of all farm animals. I really admired Darragh McCullough on Ear to the Ground last year when he brought his pig for slaughter. Fair play to him for allowing his emotional reaction to seeing it killed to have been filmed.

. I really admired Darragh McCullough on Ear to the Ground last year when he brought his pig for slaughter. Fair play to him for allowing his emotional reaction to seeing it killed to have been filmed.

east meath softy!!!!!!!!:):)

That is the humane killer and it's much more deffinite than a rifle unless you've more than a .22 calibre. on the keeping of the calves i don't belive they would be worth the effort or some other sod would be at it.

What time do you start and finish at, i'd also be interested in what a typical day's work would intale.

It's not a way I would like to do it! Would a 270 or a 308 be suitable for shooting them? I guess you'd right, I wouldn't consider my own time costing money though.

On a normal day we have cups on for 4:45 so depending where the cows are someone might be up as early as 3:45. Milking and wash down clean up etc is finished by 8:30 normally then it's home for breakfast for an hour. 9:30 till anywhere between 11:30 and 12:30 is general duties. I'm incharge of one herd so that's basically keeping grass infront of them setting up fences etc. Other things like topping, grubbing, spraying, checking of dry stock, mowing roadsides just general farm work and keeping the place tidy is done then to. Then is lunchtime, cups on 1:50/2:00 so again depending whoes on cows could be away from lunch as early as 1:00. Milking finishes at 4:30 and that's it for the day normally. To milk we need three people, one to get the two herds in, one to cup on and one to cup off. At the moment were running two herds plus a mob of lame cows Inc mastitis ones which are milked in the morning only. Were averaging about 1.55 kg a cow a day at the moment. On weekends all we do is milk so have time between milkings off. Out of 14 days you get 3 off which is ok I guess. Today is one of mine hence why I can still be in bed at 9:30 am!

It's good I'm enjoying it, it's given me alot of food for thought and I think dairying is what I want to do when I return home. Not sure how happy the father will be to hear that! Now just have to figure out how to make money from 100 acres milking platform in Monaghan. At the moment were milking roughly 60 cows on winter milk supplying 450000 litres. Any suggestions on how to improve greatly appreciated!

It's not a way I would like to do it! Would a 270 or a 308 be suitable for shooting them?

I wouldn't shoot them with either calibre at close range. You may put yourself or others at risk, both are powerful rounds.

50 yards away, headshot with expanding ammo (ballistic tip or hollow point bullet - do not use full metal jacket rounds), with a safe backstop, they'd certainly do the job as long as the shot is placed well. Both are used here for stalking deer, including red deer, much bigger than a calf.

CONOR I hope you realise I wasn't personally trying to make you feel bad, or having a go at you personally. It was more the PRACTICE you mentioned that I was taking exception to and the attitude of farmers that carry out this practice. I do understand it's driven by price but I still don't think it's right.

Maybe I'm a bit naive though. Perhaps it is something that needs to be done, at the end of the day practicality has to come into it. Still, as yourself, not giving an animal a chance to live to maturity and receive a humane killing, doesn't rest easy with me.

Slaughter is obviously the inevitable fath of all farm animals. I really admired Darragh McCullough on Ear to the Ground last year when he brought his pig for slaughter. Fair play to him for allowing his emotional reaction to seeing it killed to have been filmed.

I wasn't sure if you were or not, I can see how what I wrote could be read that I was in favour of it. A more humane killing is only fair though.

johngalway wrote: »
    I wouldn't shoot them with either calibre at close range. You may put yourself or others at risk, both are powerful rounds.

50 yards away, headshot with expanding ammo (ballistic tip or hollow point bullet - do not use full metal jacket rounds), with a safe backstop, they'd certainly do the job as long as the shot is placed well. Both are used here for stalking deer, including red deer, much bigger than a calf.

I'll look into that. This probably isn't the ideal forum to be asking this but what's the highest powered rifle we can licence in Ireland? Just if I were to buy something here i would buy something I could take home. Never looked into getting a gun licenced at home.

It's not a way I would like to do it! Would a 270 or a 308 be suitable for shooting them? I guess you'd right, I wouldn't consider my own time costing money though.

On a normal day we have cups on for 4:45 so depending where the cows are someone might be up as early as 3:45. Milking and wash down clean up etc is finished by 8:30 normally then it's home for breakfast for an hour. 9:30 till anywhere between 11:30 and 12:30 is general duties. I'm incharge of one herd so that's basically keeping grass infront of them setting up fences etc. Other things like topping, grubbing, spraying, checking of dry stock, mowing roadsides just general farm work and keeping the place tidy is done then to. Then is lunchtime, cups on 1:50/2:00 so again depending whoes on cows could be away from lunch as early as 1:00. Milking finishes at 4:30 and that's it for the day normally. To milk we need three people, one to get the two herds in, one to cup on and one to cup off. At the moment were running two herds plus a mob of lame cows Inc mastitis ones which are milked in the morning only. Were averaging about 1.55 kg a cow a day at the moment. On weekends all we do is milk so have time between milkings off. Out of 14 days you get 3 off which is ok I guess. Today is one of mine hence why I can still be in bed at 9:30 am!

It's good I'm enjoying it, it's given me alot of food for thought and I think dairying is what I want to do when I return home. Not sure how happy the father will be to hear that! Now just have to figure out how to make money from 100 acres milking platform in Monaghan. At the moment were milking roughly 60 cows on winter milk supplying 450000 litres. Any suggestions on how to improve greatly appreciated!

always regretted not seeing how the rest of the world milks cows!

yea i think either of them machines would make it a quick end.

that sounds like a fair good days work, do you do anything on heat detection, what aid do ye use and do ye do DIY or does an operator come in. I'm planning to go down the route of crossing a Ho/Fr herd with jersey what are your views on them or have ye any of them in the herd, got advise hear not to use NZ jersey as the quality is poor, do you think that's the case or what is the quality of the stock like over there.

sorry for all the questions i should have been a gaurd!

On the farm in monaghan, what sort of land is it, were you thinking of going down the NZ route or sticking with the winter milk. i'm sure the ould boy will love to see you have interest in it, he mightned be impressed if you start to switch over to NZ system. What is your thinking on what you'd like to do with it.

always regretted not seeing how the rest of the world milks cows!

yea i think either of them machines would make it a quick end.

that sounds like a fair good days work, do you do anything on heat detection, what aid do ye use and do ye do DIY or does an operator come in. I'm planning to go down the route of crossing a Ho/Fr herd with jersey what are your views on them or have ye any of them in the herd, got advise hear not to use NZ jersey as the quality is poor, do you think that's the case or what is the quality of the stock like over there.

sorry for all the questions i should have been a gaurd!

On the farm in monaghan, what sort of land is it, were you thinking of going down the NZ route or sticking with the winter milk. i'm sure the ould boy will love to see you have interest in it, he mightned be impressed if you start to switch over to NZ system. What is your thinking on what you'd like to do with it.

It really is an interesting opportunity and i would advise anyone interested in dairy farming to do it. Even for month or two. If anyone would be interested in coming out I could probably get work for them on this farm for two months starting in august, at the start of our calving. Something to keep in mind.*

It is a good days work, there have been days I've worked from after breakfast the whole way through till 7pm but there few and far between and it's more because I'm trusted/given responsibility. And then there are other days where we wouldn't come back after breakfast.*

For heat detection we tail paint then as were milking who ever is on cups off drafts out any that have been rubbed. We will do that for six weeks and ai every morning then after that we sent out 20 heraford bulls to clean it up. Scanned last week and I think the in calf rate was 75% but the bulls haven't been away long so that will rise at the next scanning. Of that there could be anything up to 15% to be induced in two groups. We synchronised 120 cows that werent
    Coming onto heat just before the six week and of ai. We get an operator in, he supplies the straws and we basically buy a package or a mixture of bulls. It's mostly friesen we ai to with any of the bigger cows getting ai'd to a kiwi cross bull to try reduce their size. We only have about 40 jerseys in the herd. The quality of stock over here isn't bad, i come from a purebred Holstein herd so I am looking at different animals here!**

The farm at home would be heavy enough, brilliant in a dry year not good in a wet year kind of thing. I don't think I'll be going down the nz route to be honest. It works here but I don't think it would suit us at home. What I would like to do is keep the same kind of system but expand it, we have one block of land all be it with a main road going through it but that can be crossed with cattle. At the moment we do all off that, silage, your stock milk etc. I would like to look at using as much of that for milking as possible as I think the best way of turning grass into money is milking off it. If I was to do this I would probably have to extend parlour and build another silo to start off with.*

That would mean buying silage in or renting ground to make silage off and I guess that only viable if good land can be rented. Would also like to look down the lines of contract rearing to to free up land. I'm not sure, it's easy dreaming about these things but putting them into practice is a different thing.*

The beauty of the farm is that it has very little debt. One shed was put up with the grant, that will be paid off in three or four years. Other than that and the overdraft there is no debt/finance. The other side of that is that we have no fancy tractors or a diet feeder or anything along those lines. Just a ford 6600, 4600 and a 135. We get contractors to do the silage, spread the main slurry and silage fert.*

• Advertisement

Thanks for the low down, must be very interesting.

On the plans for the farm in Monaghan i think you're on the ball get the young stock off and take some ground for silage, after that you could goto 120-140 cows on the home block, i did a similar thing years ago. What co-op do ye supply, don't think there is any problem with super levy up that country yet.

It is interesting, if there is anything you want to know just ask, if I don't know it myself I dont mind asking. I am here to learn.

Supplying town of Monaghan, was talking to dad and he says he's pushing hard and won't see a superlevy. That's the plan, housing becomes a problem then but I guess expansion is the way forward. Either that or stay the same and run a tight ship. Nothing ventured nothing gained though. Also with better pasture managment and slurry and fert control I think the farm can be streamlined alot more. Ah we will see, I'm like the man with the wheel barrow, I have it all infront of me.

i have learnt to cop the tyre kickers a mile off , now i say to them if you dont buy the bull some one else will so i dont care if you buy him or not, the look of shock on their face is priceless:D

had my first parthenaise calf today, certainly easy calving anyway, huge ch cow had a right little rat of a heifer, cow is a lunatic, cant leave a hand on her to get the calf to suck even when she is locked in, will move her on i think

had my first parthenaise calf today, certainly easy calving anyway, huge ch cow had a right little rat of a heifer, cow is a lunatic, cant leave a hand on her to get the calf to suck even when she is locked in, will move her on i think

Easy calving is good and which sire was it?

i have learnt to cop the tyre kickers a mile off , now i say to them if you dont buy the bull some one else will so i dont care if you buy him or not, the look of shock on their face is priceless:D

Glad to see that you're taking time out from your holidays to keep up with us on boards :D

Hope you're having a nice break!!!

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    Easy calving is good and which sire was it?
    he is my own bull, he's only a middling looking bull, he is out of a breeders stock bull, his grand sire is panache which i think was a good french bull

It is interesting, if there is anything you want to know just ask, if I don't know it myself I dont mind asking. I am here to learn.

Supplying town of Monaghan, was talking to dad and he says he's pushing hard and won't see a superlevy. That's the plan, housing becomes a problem then but I guess expansion is the way forward. Either that or stay the same and run a tight ship. Nothing ventured nothing gained though. Also with better pasture managment and slurry and fert control I think the farm can be streamlined alot more. Ah we will see, I'm like the man with the wheel barrow, I have it all infront of me.

What yield are ye getting litres/solids and are ye supplementing.

With little debt on the farm that wheelbarrow is light and you can steer it in what direction you choose as you have loads of options.

What yield are ye getting litres/solids and are ye supplementing.

With little debt on the farm that wheelbarrow is light and you can steer it in what direction you choose as you have loads of options.

I know this year he is expecting to hit 450,000 litres, protein 3.3 fat 3.6. Not sure on individual cow yields, father was saying he is feeding up to 12kg a day and getting 47 litres in return.

I'll look into that. This probably isn't the ideal forum to be asking this but what's the highest powered rifle we can licence in Ireland? Just if I were to buy something here i would buy something I could take home. Never looked into getting a gun licenced at home.

Well you'd certainly license a .270 or .308 easily - once you had a good reason for holding it. The .308 could be a deer stalking or target shooting rifle. You'd need to have your deer permissions lined up and apply for your stalking license from the NPWS before you'd get the license mind. Target shooting isn't my thing, but you'd need to be a member of a club which catered for competitions for that calibre such as Midlands range near Tullamore.

Drop over to the Shooting or Hunting forum if ya want lots more advice, don't want to derail this thread :)

I know this year he is expecting to hit 450,000 litres, protein 3.3 fat 3.6. Not sure on individual cow yields, father was saying he is feeding up to 12kg a day and getting 47 litres in return.

No just wondering whats the story on yield over in NZ

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement