Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

leg wax wrote: »
    hes a man it did not jump up and bite him and say where you left me:o
    get that the whole time if its not him its the kids looking for something ... 25% of my time is spent looking for things they have lost and most of the time they are straight in front of them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

whelan1 wrote: »
    husband just noticed that the bars for tightening the chains on his lowloader are gone they had been sitting on the trailer in our yard ... fookers must have robbed them ... there is always someone in our yard so they must have taken them during the night... must have a look to see if anything else is gone
    edited to say panic over he found them

Spent 1 whole day looking for the wheel barrow during the summer - cursed ever f##ker under the sun who might have robbed it, talk of installing CCTV, electric gates etc. Checked high up and no sign

Was wandering past 1 of the sheds at the end of the yard the next day that we had kept a sick cow in and low and behold there it was - felt like some idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

somebody keeps on takeing my hammer and vice grip and sprong when i need them but always leave them back when i dont need them:o, i saw it somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

somebody keeps on takeing my hammer and vice grip and sprong when i need them but always leave them back when i dont need them:o, i saw it somewhere

Found 3 vice grips on the road past our house this summer. Obviously farmers had them clamped on their tractors to hold something in place and hitting the potholes knocked them off. Will never have to buy a vice grips again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Folks,
    Anyone here find wrapping silage with 2 different colours of wrap to be more effective at reducing bird damage than single coloured bales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

reilig wrote: »
    Found 3 vice grips on the road past our house this summer. Obviously farmers had them clamped on their tractors to hold something in place and hitting the potholes knocked them off. Will never have to buy a vice grips again! :D
    You do know now you have said it, you are about to lose the 3 you found and another for good measure;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

no pics of cattle out on kale but new crop on pic thread.

Hi Legwax

I think you explained before, but can you give a brief run through of how you go about sowing it? ie what date did you set it? How did you set it? How much does it work out an acre? When do you start feeding it? How many cows/acre? etc. A lot of questions - sorry! :p

Did you see this weeks IFJ ? There's a pic of a lad picking his up with a forage wagon. He's going mixing it with wholecrop barley (i think) and making a pit of it. I didn't think you could do that, you learn something new everyday! It does make it a dearer feed though and you've the whole slurry issue then when feeding in a shed.

Also on the issue of out wintering. I know some of our neighbours across the pond in England build up grass covers in late summer/autumn to feed cattle on over the winter. Is this allowed in Ireland? Is grass any good like this?? like kale, could be supplemented. I know they'd plough up, but you could level and shake grass seed the following spring. Madness??

God bless your eye sight :D Outside on the mudguard is a great 'tool rest'!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Relig that's one of the very few advantages of living in Leitrim, have you anymore?

On the subject of visegrips I hide mine with a set of metric spanners and a decent;) hammer in a small toolbox under the seat of the jeep. That way at least I know where they are.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    in a small toolbox under the seat of the jeep.

Is it a pajero blue5000? We've a pajero and there's a box you slide out under the both seats

blue5000 wrote: »
    Relig that's one of the very few advantages of living in Leitrim, have you anymore?

On the subject of visegrips I hide mine with a set of metric spanners and a decent;) hammer in a small toolbox under the seat of the jeep. That way at least I know where they are.
    yup that way YOU know where they are are no one else does:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

hope they were the good ones genuine proper vise grip not those cheap plastic cover knuckledusters............other wise i would leave them be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Vice grips baler twine and a hammar , with them basic tools I reckon Macra na Feirme could reach Mars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

thought i had enough dairy nuts for a week , but turns out the nuts where stuck on the view hole and the bin is empty:eek: only at the weekend would it happen:mad:

hahaha that was hilerious :D

hahaha that was hilerious :D
    no not really :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

no not really :)

aw it was , but that type of thing only seems to happen very rarely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi Legwax

I think you explained before, but can you give a brief run through of how you go about sowing it? ie what date did you set it? How did you set it? How much does it work out an acre? When do you start feeding it? How many cows/acre? etc. A lot of questions - sorry! :p

Did you see this weeks IFJ ? There's a pic of a lad picking his up with a forage wagon. He's going mixing it with wholecrop barley (i think) and making a pit of it. I didn't think you could do that, you learn something new everyday! It does make it a dearer feed though and you've the whole slurry issue then when feeding in a shed.

Also on the issue of out wintering. I know some of our neighbours across the pond in England build up grass covers in late summer/autumn to feed cattle on over the winter. Is this allowed in Ireland? Is grass any good like this?? like kale, could be supplemented. I know they'd plough up, but you could level and shake grass seed the following spring. Madness??
    spayed off with rosate and sowed i think 5 june this year,spead slurry after sowing then 4 bags of 18/6/12 andclosed the gate,it was set with a aitchison slot sower 30euros a acre cost.seed was bought in england off cotswold seeds ,see them on the net for price, i set the hardy root mixture this year with rape ,i think the seed was around 28 euros.i started feeding it last year on the 1 of nov and 5 acres kept 28 weanlings 110 days they got 2bales of silage ever 3/4 days.as you know we had a hard winter last year,but they loved it and did really well on it.i have 14 acres of it this year so will be putting some cows out.theres a lot of info on you tube that i am takeing on board try looking up out wintering cattle and go from there i have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Bob i think you are mistaken

We summer graze nearly 200 cattle a year - selling in October/November and there is no shed on the beef farm. We have been in REPS 1, 2 and 3 and been inspected many times and it has never been an issue.

I think the issue is that if you are wintering cattle then you need the required level of storage even if the animal is outwintered all winter. so if you out winter 100 cattle you still need storage for 100 cattle even though the tank may never be used. That's how i see it anyway

Am open to correction of course

Your above scenario is a definite anyway, but I dont think there is somewhere that says in the Nitrates about only summer grazing, I will have a scan through the bible and come back to you lads about it. Unfortunately for the wrong reasons I am fairly well versed on the Regulations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

.....as you know we had a hard winter last year,but they loved it and did really well on it.......
    Last winter was hard, but it was cold and dry. I wonder how would it go in a very wet winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

had a first calver bulling this morning and another one got a knock at herd test last week and id say slipped a calf. looked em up this morning on herdplus to confirm that yes they were the 2 highest ebi hfrs and out of the best cows wouldnt that just sicken your ****e.scanning monday morning so hopefully got most of the bad news today before we go away for the night for our wedding anniversary, aarrghhhhhhhhhhhh:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

had a first calver bulling this morning and another one got a knock at herd test last week and id say slipped a calf. looked em up this morning on herdplus to confirm that yes they were the 2 highest ebi hfrs and out of the best cows wouldnt that just sicken your ****e.scanning monday morning so hopefully got most of the bad news today before we go away for the night for our wedding anniversary, aarrghhhhhhhhhhhh:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::eek:

what bulls you using- how high is the ebi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Muckit wrote: »
    Is it a pajero blue5000? We've a pajero and there's a box you slide out under the both seats

LC, there is a slide in drawer under the passenger seat, TBH I'd be afraid to pull it out, God only knows what's in there.......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

when i was milking yesterday morning i had a fresh heifer to bring in at the end , she had been milked the day before and is well used to the parlour as i out tar on them in there.Anyway she went in the little gap into the pit- there was a close your eyes moment as i envisaged all the jars being broken- she walked up to the top and pulled off any clusters that where in her way and walked out the top:) phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Bizzum wrote: »
    Folks,
    Anyone here find wrapping silage with 2 different colours of wrap to be more effective at reducing bird damage than single coloured bales?

I dont know about the two colour wrap, but drove past a field yesterday where there are about 30 bales wrapped and left scattered around the field. Half of em are white an the rest are black, the white ones are DESTROYED with bird holes. Black ones seem grand but maybe the holes just stand out more on the white plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chesera

I had a disasterous yield with new varity I tried this year called Snakebite. Same poor yield over 4 different fields. Only common denominator is the variety. Any similar experiences with this breed????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Has anyone purchased an "anti-backing bar" to keep a beast up the crush? Seen a few on donedeal with videos etc. they seem simple but do they last? got quoted 190 + VAT for one today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Suckler wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased an "anti-backing bar" to keep a beast up the crush? Seen a few on donedeal with videos etc. they seem simple but do they last? got quoted 190 + VAT for one today.

I made one for less than €20 with scrap metal that was lying about the house. They're very simple.

I made one for less than €20 with scrap metal that was lying about the house. They're very simple.

can yours move up and down the crush behind the animal or is it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭cjpm

God you must have a great wife if she lets you keep scrap in the house!! ;)

• Advertisement

cjpm wrote: »
    God you must have a great wife if she lets you keep scrap in the house!! ;)

She lets me keep it under the stairs :p

jerdee wrote: »
    can yours move up and down the crush behind the animal or is it fixed.

Up and down

if you don t mind it being a bit rough....

opened up in plate cooler earlier, to say it was manky was an understatement:o , normally in the winter would open it every few weeks as the sawdust blocks it, hadnt been done in a while. My tbc's where going up and down this last few weeks so hopefully this was the cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

opened up in plate cooler earlier, to say it was manky was an understatement:o , normally in the winter would open it every few weeks as the sawdust blocks it, hadnt been done in a while. My tbc's where going up and down this last few weeks so hopefully this was the cause

Whelan you've got me worried now that i'm not doing something that i should be doing

Can you explain what you do to the plate cooler (and sawdust??)

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Whelan you've got me worried now that i'm not doing something that i should be doing

Can you explain what you do to the plate cooler (and sawdust??)
    in the middle plate of our in plate cooler there is a tiny hole that lets air through, if this gets blocked the milk doesnt flow through properly , so when the milk is slow going in to the milk tank we open up the inplate cooler and there would be a tiny bit of sawdust blocking this hole:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Trip to the vet this morning. Lambs have been in decent grass and getting fed but not thriving. Some scoury, all had been dosed twice. Brought some dung samples and told the tale. Left with Zolvix, he suspects resistance. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected, cold comfort being right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

johngalway wrote: »
    Trip to the vet this morning. Lambs have been in decent grass and getting fed but not thriving. Some scoury, all had been dosed twice. Brought some dung samples and told the tale. Left with Zolvix, he suspects resistance. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected, cold comfort being right!

would be worth testing for resistance, which dosing with Zolvix will prevent for this year. Probably best leaving till next year now, as best to try and get some thrive back into the lambs.
    Are you still going to test the dung, might be a waste of money if not dosing with white or yellow dose and then doing a follow up check to check resistance. what did you dose with previously white or yellow?

Cran wrote: »
    would be worth testing for resistance, which dosing with Zolvix will prevent for this year. Probably best leaving till next year now, as best to try and get some thrive back into the lambs.
    Are you still going to test the dung, might be a waste of money if not dosing with white or yellow dose and then doing a follow up check to check resistance. what did you dose with previously white or yellow?

They got two rounds of Panacur SC this Summer which is white. Wouldn't mind but I'd planned to do FEC's this year but kept putting them on the long finger :rolleyes: Not testing the dung, will see how the lambs do for a bit, if I can get shot of them if they put a bit more condition on I will. So much for getting them away early this year :D Agree with you about leaving the testing until next year really, bit late now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Whelan 1
    Make sure filter is before plate cooler
    keep filter in when washing no saw dust should get to plate cooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

milkprofit wrote: »
    Whelan 1
    Had an argument at the last discussion meting about that. I always leave it on but the advisor had a fit giving out about thermoduric and TBC and everything else. I only rip the cooler every year when dry, more to keep myself happy than to actually clean it. But i didnt know there was an air inlet (or is that only in 2 stage plate coolers):confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

They got two rounds of Panacur SC this Summer which is white. Wouldn't mind but I'd planned to do FEC's this year but kept putting them on the long finger :rolleyes: Not testing the dung, will see how the lambs do for a bit, if I can get shot of them if they put a bit more condition on I will. So much for getting them away early this year :D Agree with you about leaving the testing until next year really, bit late now.

I dosed the lambs on the out farm this year early with panacur and the ones on the home farm with yellow as a simple test. Bit paranoid as had used ivermectin dose last two years and should be rotating. Lambs on yellow thrived excellent, others just didn't looks like I have white resistence. long term is to be able to do FEC on farm, just need to get time to learn how :o

I dosed the lambs on the out farm this year early with panacur and the ones on the home farm with yellow as a simple test. Bit paranoid as had used ivermectin dose last two years and should be rotating. Lambs on yellow thrived excellent, others just didn't looks like I have white resistence. long term is to be able to do FEC on farm, just need to get time to learn how :o

Our vet will send the samples off for €6 a time. Thought about getting a kit, then thought better of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Our vet will send the samples off for €6 a time. Thought about getting a kit, then thought better of it :D

Its not hard, the dear bit is the microscope.

Keep an eye out for the LIDL ones, they are perfect.

LC

This sounds very odd.

Isn't Zolvix meant to be a last resort when you have resistance established to all three of the traditional wormer groups - the white yellow and clear doses??????

What had you been dosing them with that made him jump you straight to Zolvix?

LC

• Advertisement

Whoops apologies, missed this one, Cran is thinking the same way though.

As well as a waste of money, what will happen in a few years when Zolvix resistance appears.

This website is real food for thought - it takes everything we think we know about worms in sheep and stands it on its head! Very interesting approach.

http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=287&Itemid=68

http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/images/stories/pdf/10thingsyoushouldknow.pdf

LostCovey

milkprofit wrote: »
    Whelan 1
    sp do you only change the filter at the end of the wash then? Got a text last night with tbc of 11 for sundays milk, i can not understand it as the crap i took out of the in plate cooler was unreal... also easy knowing glanbia are over quota with the amount of over spill that was running down my yard from the lorry this morning:cool:

just back from mart i only had 2 calves in it today both br/fr bulls got 210 and 190 both born 17 august.. there where 9 calves in the sale today, 2 other friesian calves made 110 at a struggle... there where 4 simmenetal calves lovely calves, 2 heifers made 330 and 340 , abull made 360 and a smashing sim bull made 440.. then there was an angus weanling funny looking thing he made 270.. unreal crowd around the ring for so few calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

could be resistance to whites, ........ not familiar with Zolvix, but I would recommend Cydectin drench

you said they are fed? is it a commercial sheep ration , I would recommend taking a few bloods to check for minerals and trace elements but may not be accurate cos of the meal,

we always bolus all lambs left at this time of year with selenium, iodine, copper and cobalt or maybe a shot of growvite or twin tup would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

i see in the independent it says it thinks sheep payments under the targeted agricultural measures scheme is starting this week, what is that any ideas, thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement