Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

anyone got big weights for young cattle?
    sold a charolais bullock at the weekend 685kg @ 16months; very pleased with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

anyone got big weights for young cattle?
    sold a charolais bullock at the weekend 685kg @ 16months; very pleased with that!

My best weinling was sold 2 weeks ago. 485kg and born in November 2010 - not bad for 9 months.
    Pedigree Limousin Bull last year was 680kg at 290 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just had a really strange one... yesterday when checking cattle the was an in calf heifer with blood all along her neck... no visible cut or blood dropping. Chceked her again last night and she was fine, then this morning blood pissing out of her ear, just below her tag , she had busted the vein , vet came out tokk 4 stitches to stop it .. touch wood its stopped now, my dad said in his 67 years around he never saw anything like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

whelan1 wrote: »
    just had a really strange one... yesterday when checking cattle the was an in calf heifer with blood all along her neck... no visible cut or blood dropping. Chceked her again last night and she was fine, then this morning blood pissing out of her ear, just below her tag , she had busted the vein , vet came out tokk 4 stitches to stop it .. touch wood its stopped now, my dad said in his 67 years around he never saw anything like it
    Maybe she's haemophiliac!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Feckin hate ragwort grrr. >:(

weefarmer wrote: »
    Feckin hate ragwort grrr. >:(
    join the club. have decided to spend 1 hour a week pulling ragworth an hour is just about tolerable:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

join the club. have decided to spend 1 hour a week pulling ragworth an hour is just about tolerable:rolleyes:

Drove part of the M7 today its a fcukin disgrace with ragwort on the embankments, all around the water treatment areas too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

We used to pull them but they have really spread badly this last few years, was just cutting them close to the bottom with long hedge clippers, goin to spray the new leaves on the ones that were cut a few months back with roundup tomorro with the back sprayer, just to see how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

weefarmer wrote: »
    We used to pull them but they have really spread badly this last few years, was just cutting them close to the bottom with long hedge clippers, goin to spray the new leaves on the ones that were cut a few months back with roundup tomorro with the back sprayer, just to see how it goes :)

get yourself a few sheep that will be the end of ure ragworth:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

wee farmer there is a spray for them you can only spray them in october tho when reading up on it. cant think of the name of the spray tho sorry,

• Advertisement

Ha tried the sheep before and they werent easy to keep in!
    I must look and see about the spray, itd be handier than messing about. Passes the time mostly, ive burned the rushes in the field too, plans to reseed it in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

reilig wrote: »
    My best weinling was sold 2 weeks ago. 485kg and born in November 2010 - not bad for 9 months.
    Pedigree Limousin Bull last year was 680kg at 290 days.

was he eating much meal and what price reilig??

i believe cattle should always be pushed i mean why have "store" cattle out on grass for summers anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

johngalway wrote: »
    Our vet will send the samples off for €6 a time. Thought about getting a kit, then thought better of it :D

€6 a time, eh?

There's no easy way to break this to you .....

From
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/laboratoryservices/regionalveterinarylaboratories/testandpricelist/#d.en.30436

McMasters All RVLs €2.50
    McMasters Egg Count Parasitology Backweston €2.50
    McMasters Equine All RVLs €2.50
    McMasters ex fluke All RVLs €2.50
    McMasters Poultry All RVLs €2.50

I bet your vet loves to see you coming with a box of samples.

LostCovey

lab man wrote: »
    wee farmer there is a spray for them you can only spray them in october tho when reading up on it. cant think of the name of the spray tho sorry,
    d50 is the spray best to spray in the spring when at the rossette stage , keep cattle off for 2 weeks until they are dead- the weeds not the cattle:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

d50 is the spray best to spray in the spring when at the rossette stage , keep cattle off for 2 weeks until they are dead- the weeds not the cattle:rolleyes:

The only trouble with that is that sprayed ragwart is very palatable, and the cattle may eat it when they are let out on it, and it will kill them.

The cattle AND the ragwort.

LostCovey

LostCovey wrote: »
    The only trouble with that is that sprayed ragwart is very palatable, and the cattle may eat it when they are let out on it, and it will kill them.

The cattle AND the ragwort.

LostCovey
    believe you me i know all that... thats why i said to leave them off til the ragworth are dead, i dont agree with what weefarmer is suggesting as round up will not kill them... spraying in october is not as good as there is too much old material around , spring is best as its all new growth only problem is frost can affect the kill and you might have to respray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i was shifting cows and bull weanlings yesterday and said i would give the bulls a dose,when i put them in the crush i really saw how well they had done over the summer, these were all vac for ibr in my out break and i can say it has paid me, plenty of growth in them,different cattle to other years.

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    was he eating much meal and what price reilig??

i believe cattle should always be pushed i mean why have "store" cattle out on grass for summers anyway

The weinling only got meal for the last 5 or 6 weeks - about 3kg per day. He sold for €1100.

The bull from last year got meal from when he was 6 months old - ad lib. he sold for €2000 last march.

believe you me i know all that... thats why i said to leave them off til the ragworth are dead, i dont agree with what weefarmer is suggesting as round up will not kill them... spraying in october is not as good as there is too much old material around , spring is best as its all new growth only problem is frost can affect the kill and you might have to respray

I killed ragworth with glyphosate and the licker this summer for a neighbour. I wonder if it will grow back? Its gone black!

If you could spray ragworth in the back end when cattle are going into the shed, it should have rotted away by the time they are getting out again.

• Advertisement

I killed ragworth with glyphosate and the licker this summer for a neighbour. I wonder if it will grow back? Its gone black!

If you could spray ragworth in the back end when cattle are going into the shed, it should have rotted away by the time they are getting out again.
    true BUT my spray man says there is so much dead material for the spray to work through you are better spraying in the spring on the new growth.... i wouldnt chance round up on ragworth but thats just me.. Just back from an hour pulling ragworth :cool:

Just back from an hour pulling ragworth :cool:

My Mrs goes walking for an hour an odd evening - must tell her about the new craze of ragworth pulling!!

My Mrs goes walking for an hour an odd evening - must tell her about the new craze of ragworth pulling!!
    tell her its better than an hour in the gym:D

had local puncture repair guy out this evening , he got a call when he was here from a farmer whose combine had had all 4 tyres drilled with a drill - obviously some one doesnt like him:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'm royally cheesed off!! Went out to bring in calves for their feed of nuts and one was missing. Eventually found her in a ditch on her last legs. OH and I got her to her feet and half carried her into shed and got vet. Pneumonia for the third time!! The vet has a share in her at this stage as this is the 4th time she has been sick. She has rallied well. Is a puzzlement to us and the vet. Whatever I'm doing wrong with her it hasn't affected any of the rest of the bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

had local puncture repair guy out this evening , he got a call when he was here from a farmer whose combine had had all 4 tyres drilled with a drill - obviously some one doesnt like him:rolleyes:

first thing its the tyres-then its the repo man:mad:

• Advertisement

got my first load of brewers today-getting 4load in total
    mixing 5;1 with citrus which is working out more expensive than the brewers:eek:

KatyMac wrote: »
    I'm royally cheesed off!! Went out to bring in calves for their feed of nuts and one was missing. Eventually found her in a ditch on her last legs. OH and I got her to her feet and half carried her into shed and got vet. Pneumonia for the third time!! The vet has a share in her at this stage as this is the 4th time she has been sick. She has rallied well. Is a puzzlement to us and the vet. Whatever I'm doing wrong with her it hasn't affected any of the rest of the bunch.
    at this stage her lungs must be damaged and either she will grow out of it or go to the big cow heaven... probably the warm weather today and the cold night last night affected her- there was frost last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stanflt wrote: »
    mixing 5;1 with citrus which is working out more expensive than the brewers:eek:

Your buying brewers? How much a tonne? Does this make sense when your into tillage yourself? (Perhaps I'm mixing things up?)

at this stage her lungs must be damaged and either she will grow out of it or go to the big cow heaven... probably the warm weather today and the cold night last night affected her- there was frost last night

Would agree. Foggy nights are common this time of year and if teh lungs are damaged, you could be fighting a losing battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi How do you store it ?
    How long does it keep for ?
    Is 24 tonne the smallest load ?
    Who do you buy it from ?
    I woudnt mind trying sone through the diet feeder.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Any payments due this month? Isn't Disadvantaged area aid due to be paid around now ???

Grecco wrote: »
    Any payments due this month? Isn't Disadvantaged area aid due to be paid around now ???
    normally the end of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

When are you going to be feeding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grecco wrote: »
    Around the ploughing match time to distract the farmers from hassling the minister as he opens the festival ;)

I'm thinking the same. I'm keeping the whole bunch in at night now and she is amazingly almost better - again. We had a great chase round the shed to inject her tonight as she is at the stage that everytime she see me there is a needle in my hand. Reacon she is probably going to survive to a ripe old age at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

. We had a great chase round the shed to inject her tonight as she is at the stage that everytime she see me there is a needle in my hand..

and people still say cattle are dumb

have you tried ctc powder? think thats the name , was off the market for a while but is back , you put it on top of meal for a week, it normally works well but if the damage is done theres not a lot you can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

have you tried ctc powder? think thats the name , was off the market for a while but is back , you put it on top of meal for a week, it normally works well but if the damage is done theres not a lot you can do

We used it in the spring on a calf that had a persistent cough after
    we bought him. Nothing would clear it up, after a week of the powder on his meal he had near cleared and he went on to make a great recovery. has thrived since

bbam wrote: »
    We used it in the spring on a calf that had a persistent cough after
    we bought him. Nothing would clear it up, after a week of the powder on his meal he had near cleared and he went on to make a great recovery. has thrived since
    I havent heard of this, will go after it on Monday.
    She is a sad looking specimen when seen with the rest of the calves, but I will persist as long as she is with us. Her form is good - well able to fight for her grub this evening and was not pleased to see me with the needle - only four more injections to give her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I've seen this powder. I think the poultry guys use it?
    I've only seen it though in large enough quantities, maybe 5kg tubs.
    Can it be got in handier doses?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- just be careful here please.
    CTC (chlortetracycline) is only listed in Ireland for use in poultry and swine- and there are 2 studies ongoing in UCG and UCD, concerning accumulation in tissue (and consequent veterinary instructions on its usage in animals for human consumption).

Please get veterinary advice on this- CTC is a controlled substance, and should not be used willy-nilly without proper supervision.

BTW- the normal usage of CTC is as an additive to drinking water- *not* as a sprinkling ontop of food etc........

Get veterinary advice on this- and please move away from discussing it here- as you are discussing a controlled substance.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

smccarrick wrote: »
    Guys- just be careful here please.
    CTC (chlortetracycline) is only listed in Ireland for use in poultry and swine- and there are 2 studies ongoing in UCG and UCD, concerning accumulation in tissue (and consequent veterinary instructions on its usage in animals for human consumption).

Please get veterinary advice on this- CTC is a controlled substance, and should not be used willy-nilly without proper supervision.

BTW- the normal usage of CTC is as an additive to drinking water- *not* as a sprinkling ontop of food etc........

Get veterinary advice on this- and please move away from discussing it here- as you are discussing a controlled substance.

Regards,

SMcCarrick
    just to say my vet has given me CTC in the past for calves coughing, his advice was to sprinkle it ontop of their nuts, I must check outside if i can find the package, I think that was the recommendation on the packaging as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Regardless- its a controlled substance. No more discussion in this thread. OP- contact your vet.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

I'm thinking the same. I'm keeping the whole bunch in at night now and she is amazingly almost better - again. We had a great chase round the shed to inject her tonight as she is at the stage that everytime she see me there is a needle in my hand. Reacon she is probably going to survive to a ripe old age at this stage.
    what injections is she on ?

thetangler wrote: »
    Hi How do you store it ?
    How long does it keep for ?
    Is 24 tonne the smallest load ?
    Who do you buy it from ?
    I woudnt mind trying sone through the diet feeder.

Thanks

store it in a long narrow pit like silage/mixed with citrus when ensiling
    indefinite as long as its sealed well
    all loads were 29-31ton
    kw forage systems

Muckit wrote: »
    Your buying brewers? How much a tonne? Does this make sense when your into tillage yourself? (Perhaps I'm mixing things up?)

31a ton paid on delivery
    its a super feed-value for money

31a ton paid on delivery
    the last time i went to order there was limited supplies and a big waiting list is it still the same? they where only selling to people who had bought the previous years at that stage

My calf has given up the fight. She died during the afternoon. Thanks for all the ideas but her lungs obviously couldn't handle it.
    I was lucky last year - didn't have any fatalities at all, so I suppose that sort of luck can't hold for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

weighed the spring born heifers during the week, ave daily weight gain of 0.90kg/day for the last 4 months, on grass alone.

the lightest of the autumn calves only need to ave 0.55kg day up to xmas to hit target weight for bulling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd say that. Supposedly high in protein despite having gone through the brewing process - or am I wrong?? Is there energy in it?

On the storage of it Stanfit, do you just tip it up from the lorry and roll it with the tractor, then seal it? Does it require an ensiling additive? I presume it doesn't need to be rolled or crimped?:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement