Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Some fooking heavy rain in the north midlands today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

there was a massive shower here yesterday.... i suppose we havent had much rain all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Could float the QE2 down some of my drains this evening. The rain in Spain stays mostly in Connemara it seems! It can stop now, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

johngalway wrote: »
    Could float the QE2 down some of my drains this evening. The rain in Spain stays mostly in Connemara it seems! It can stop now, seriously.

ya its kinda scary to see ground so messy this evening..hope its not going to be a long winter..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

johngalway wrote: »
    The rain in Spain stays mostly in Connemara it seems! It can stop now, seriously.

5 hours and counting here.
    A few local roads impassable- but nothing too major......
    I'm fed up- it looks like those 4 or 5 days in April were the summer :mad:

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    5 hours and counting here.
    A few local roads impassable- but nothing too major......
    I'm fed up- it looks like those 4 or 5 days in April were the summer :mad:

Yes, you're not the only one fed up. I've some late thistles to spot spray, new rushes have come up I want to spray also. Not to mention my lambs getting pelted with rain day in day out. Have a few hoggets straying in the hill, went there but didn't get out of the car. Every hoof in the place was on shelter, saw no point in checking behind every rock for an hour or two in that weather. Trying to get the young dog out twice a day training, managed once this morning. This evening was just gales and driving rain, so brought him to the beach for a run instead, masochist that I am, got sand blasted and power hosed in one go :D

I'm almost wishing the freezing weather back at this stage, at least a person could get out and do something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Serious, serious amount of rain made since Friday night in these parts. Raining non Stop since mornings today. Three week old healthy calf this morning, has an awful blood scour this evening. Gave him a good shot of vexocan.
    I always associated this kind of scour with spring born calves picking up something in the shed.
    This calf was born outside, and was never in, to pick up anything like this.
    I blame the brutal weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Had contractor spreading ground lime today... rain has stopped now but it'll be well washed in or washed off if it continues!!

He had to quit though:mad:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Serious, serious amount of rain made since Friday night in these parts. Raining non Stop since mornings today. Three week old healthy calf this morning, has an awful blood scour this evening. Gave him a good shot of vexocan.
    I always associated this kind of scour with spring born calves picking up something in the shed.
    This calf was born outside, and was never in, to pick up anything like this.
    I blame the brutal weather.
    are there crows etc around an area where they are getting meal, or is he with older calves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

finally managed to get a week off work and get home, have a digger arriving to put down a bit of stone and clear a few drains but the rain wil have the aul fella giving out yards about the mess I'll be tracking up :mad:

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    are there crows etc around an area where they are getting meal, or is he with older calves?

No meal being given, but he is with a group of cows wirh spring born calves!! Is that where the problem is coming from? Several of the spring born calves got the problem this year. :(

No meal being given, but he is with a group of cows wirh spring born calves!! Is that where the problem is coming from? Several of the spring born calves got the problem this year. :(
    problem sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

Bizzum wrote: »
    Folks,
    Anyone here find wrapping silage with 2 different colours of wrap to be more effective at reducing bird damage than single coloured bales?

Absoultly not, I did it for two year with no effect what so ever, I now just concentrate on getting the bales in a quick as possible, I use a Keltec keltrans, no bale left in field long enough for the crows then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Out checking heifers yesterday, had a super CHxSIM heifer from my best cow that I'd been looking forward to seeing calve in Nov, noticed she was a bit away from the others, she'd "slung" her calf, bloody typical.

Disgusted to say the least.

Ah well that's farming, as shes young enough I could leave her go incalf again but at todays prices I suppose I should fatten and sell her.

Her dam has has 6 smashing calves to date (5 bulls + this heifer), goes incalf first time everytime and loads of milk....sick

problem sorted!

You seem to be an expert on this subject, but as I found this on the internet when researching it may be of interest http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/milner.w-228985-vecoxan-calf-presentation-2009-business-finance-ppt-powerpoint/

Happy days, hoggets, I think, have decided to stay where they were put on the commonage :D

(Probably just jinxed it...)

You seem to be an expert on this subject, but as I found this on the internet when researching it may be of interest http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/milner.w-228985-vecoxan-calf-presentation-2009-business-finance-ppt-powerpoint/
    i learnt it all the hard way

Suckler wrote: »
    finally managed to get a week off work and get home, have a digger arriving to put down a bit of stone and clear a few drains but the rain wil have the aul fella giving out yards about the mess I'll be tracking up :mad:

They all the same ole lads then ... Mine the same... It's okay for them when they have plenty of time to themselves to pick and choose weather/ground conditions... Different story when you have to book time off and ducking and diving between various factors !!

just back from mart got €170 for 10 day old br/fr bull, was about 15 calves in sale a good few blues best made 430 ,.. was a smashing red lim hr got 300. other hol/fr which where a good bit older than mine made up to €150 , 90 for the worst and a free martin friesian heifer made 110

[Quote= a free martin friesian heifer made 110[/Quote]

would she be a twin with a bull and is it compulsory for vendor to announce this before someone goes feeding her for 2 years? Just curious that's all , thanks.

• Advertisement

if it was me i would always say she was a free martin , yup she would be a twin with a bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Don't think there is any rule which makes you declare a free martin but you should always do it

neighbour had 10 maiden friesian heifers in mart today, fit for service,they would be well bred , missed them selling but was talking to him after averaged 800 euro each , he thinks they are all going north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Have department vet calling today to inspect for a pig herd number. Was a bit worried he wouldn't be impresses about us having pigs already. But he was fine on the phone.
    "Lucky" I'm off work with bad back again to meet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

bbam wrote: »
    Have department vet calling today to inspect for a pig herd number. Was a bit worried he wouldn't be impresses about us having pigs already. But he was fine on the phone.

Hi Bbam,
    Let is know how you get on.

I sent in a form for a pig number a few weeks ago, and heard nothing since... Getting a bit too late for pigs for Christmas now I fear... :( :mad:

might be no harm to do any more new calves at 10 days of age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Can anyone tell me how much a 7-tonne digger would consume per hour/per day - I've got one booked for the week but just want to work out how much I'll have to fork out in diesel. It'll be mainly clearing/digging drains, scrape off topsoil and stoning up a yard/road way around the place. I realise this would be a rough estimate but just looking for a guideline. cheers.

might be no harm to do any more new calves at 10 days of age

Have a few born already, but definitely keeping them totally seperate from the older ones. I was thinking about giving them a shot, but vet said I would gain nothing unless they had already been exposed to the problem in the first place, for at least a week or ten days.!

Hi Bbam,
    Let is know how you get on.

I sent in a form for a pig number a few weeks ago, and heard nothing since... Getting a bit too late for pigs for Christmas now I fear... :( :mad:

Maybe not..
    Chap we bought from said it would be no problem finishing them from 12 weeks with 6 weeks of heavy meal feeding.. But then wouldn't you only have intensively reared pork and I can buy that in Tesco:confused:

Ours are out in the open, plenty of space, 1-2lb of meal daily each and lots of scraps from 4 houses...~2-3galons of scraps daily

To be honest I find them hard to figure out... No matter how much you feed them they always seem starving, real pigs:rolleyes:.. But they are growing well so we're happy enough..

• Advertisement

Have a few born already, but definitely keeping them totally seperate from the older ones. I was thinking about giving them a shot, but vet said I would gain nothing unless they had already been exposed to the problem in the first place, for at least a week or ten days.!
    true calves aren't born with coccidiosis , they are exposed to it, hence the shot at 10 days , i do all calves at 10 days then if they need it after that ... prevention is better than cure:)

my husband was pulled over in a garda check point yesterday... was told to replace windscreen of lorry- there was a big crack in it this few years- so he rang a*toglass , they said €400 inc vat.. rang another crowd mc carthy windscreens and they have just fitted the windscreen for €180 inc vat:eek: now he was not going through the insurance as it would feck up his no claims bonus, so it pays to shop around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

my husband was pulled over in a garda check point yesterday... was told to replace windscreen of lorry- there was a big crack in it this few years- so he rang a*toglass , they said €400 inc vat.. rang another crowd mc carthy windscreens and they have just fitted the windscreen for €180 inc vat:eek: now he was not going through the insurance as it would feck up his no claims bonus, so it pays to shop around

Insurance is the worst for over-pricing I think. Mine was up for renewal in July. They sent out out the letter in mid june to demand €505. That was €100 more than the previous year - I'm getting older + the car is worth less so i though it would at least have stayed the same if not dropped. Anyway, within a week of the renewal date I rang them up and told them that I could get it for €390. It took the lady on the phone about 3 seconds to come back at me and say that they best they could do it for was €400. I said ok, it would save me doing the paperwork for a changeover. Then I asked her why she didn't give me that price in the first place? She said "insurance costs what you are willing to pay for it" !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Suckler wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how much a 7-tonne digger would consume per hour/per day - I've got one booked for the week but just want to work out how much I'll have to fork out in diesel. It'll be mainly clearing/digging drains, scrape off topsoil and stoning up a yard/road way around the place. I realise this would be a rough estimate but just looking for a guideline. cheers.

around 8 ltrs an hour, currently got a machine going at over 30 per hour :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Took the teaser bull to the factory. He killed out just short of 400Kgs and U- 2=. He made €3.50/Kg.
    He came straight off the grass with no meal and was a bit short of condition. He was over 24 months, but under 30.
    In 2009, he was the worst weanling I had. He was Ai bred (Saler - Rio) and out of a Malibu (mbu) heifer with little milk.
    Could I have done better with price, I wonder. I didnt exactly shop around.

bbam wrote: »

Well inspection done and all well..
    We don't have the fanciest set up but he was happy we were meeting all criteria.. Didn't mind we had the pigs already and thought they were happy out..

Of course it was hooping down with rain, pigs just love mud

To be honest he spent as much time talking about a field of sucks along the lane than about the pigs..:)

Nice chap..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

you are usually allowed 1 claim per year for glass breakage without affecting your NCB , may be different on a truck though

snowman707 wrote: »
    you are usually allowed 1 claim per year for glass breakage without affecting your NCB , may be different on a truck though
    yup this is with quinn direct, i read the small print, ncb will be affected

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

yup this is with quinn direct, i read the small print, ncb will be affected

Feck- thats one of the reasons I didn't go with their cheaper quote......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

On holidays in northern france this week, really nice rural part of normandy. loads of tillage around the place, some nice machinery and even nicer cattle.

It's amazing how little is invested in concrete here. I do wonder if they've any concept of nitrates at all.

just logged in to say hi, must post some pics next week when back at work.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    On holidays in northern france this week, really nice rural part of normandy. loads of tillage around the place, some nice machinery and even nicer cattle.

It's amazing how little is invested in concrete here. I do wonder if they've any concept of nitrates at all.

just logged in to say hi, must post some pics next week when back at work.

Your employer will be delighted, with your renewed dedication to your job, after your holiday.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the lads from the bb society came and my cow and calf are going ploughing just have to get calf tb tested on monday and cow blooded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

have you pics of them leg wax?

only the old photo thats in the photo thread.not good enough to bring across to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

leg wax wrote: »
    the lads from the bb society came and my cow and calf are going ploughing just have to get calf tb tested on monday and cow blooded.

Fair play and well deserved. You've right good stock from the pics I've seen before. They're BB X's I take it? Did you get onto the Society?

yes let them know that i had them if they were interested to come and look.

i see icbf are looking for someone to fill a job ,might suit someone here ,look up the web page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

does anyone know of any good farming TV programs on for this winter. I used to be able to get farming Sunday on Satellite but my dish isn't picking it up any more. I wonder is it still on?

leg wax wrote: »
    i see icbf are looking for someone to fill a job ,might suit someone here ,look up the web page.

That would be a class position for someone to be able to combine the day job ie the IT software etc with their interest in cattle/ meeting farmers/ technicians etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

i cant copy and paste but theres a bb weanling for sale on dd in galway , he's a smasher

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement