Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just reading that the Dept of Ag is facing an 18% cut in funding for next year compared to a 4% cut in funding for the other depts in the agreement with IMF. Just goes to show that FF and de greens didnt forget that agriculture existed in the last few years:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

5live wrote: »
    Just reading that the Dept of Ag is facing an 18% cut in funding for next year compared to a 4% cut in funding for the other depts in the agreement with IMF. Just goes to show that FF and de greens didnt forget that agriculture existed in the last few years:rolleyes:

Unbelievable - the 1 area of the economy doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Unbelievable - the 1 area of the economy doing well

And you reckon agriculture wont keep thriving with a reduction in spend in the Ag house. Officialdom is whats holding back agriculture. Think of all the bullsh*t literature that the dept sends out. 13 pages of crap when you get a TB reactor all that could either be sent via email. Yesterday received a notice of four pages and on one page there was only one line. Just simple things like that. Also slaughter permits for restricted herds, a complete joke of a system thats keeping allot of asses on chairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

And you reckon agriculture wont keep thriving with a reduction in spend in the Ag house. Officialdom is whats holding back agriculture. Think of all the bullsh*t literature that the dept sends out. 13 pages of crap when you get a TB reactor all that could either be sent via email. Yesterday received a notice of four pages and on one page there was only one line. Just simple things like that. Also slaughter permits for restricted herds, a complete joke of a system thats keeping allot of asses on chairs
    the checking on twins drives me mental:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Oh don't get me wrong they're a useless shower if ever there was one and i agree 100% that beaurocratic bull is holding back agriculture big time.

However I feel that despite the cutbacks there will still be the endless form filling and ridiculous systems like you mentioned and there will be people there to enforce these rules. What will end up happening is that SFP payments will get later and later, queries on SFP or whatever will take longer and longer. Basically they will demand the same from us but what we will get will be worse and worse service.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong they're a useless shower if ever there was one and i agree 100% that beaurocratic bull is holding back agriculture big time.

However I feel that despite the cutbacks there will still be the endless form filling and ridiculous systems like you mentioned and there will be people there to enforce these rules. What will end up happening is that SFP payments will get later and later, queries on SFP or whatever will take longer and longer. Basically they will demand the same from us but what we will get will be worse and worse service.
    You hit the nail right on the head there tipp man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    i cant copy and paste but theres a bb weanling for sale on dd in galway , he's a smasher

He caught my eye too. A page or two earlier ther was a super looking Part X BB in Westmeath if I remember correctly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

saw him nice animal cant find whelans one .

leg wax wrote: »
    saw him nice animal cant find whelans one .
    go to the livestock section go to galway , its under show calf , its on 19 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

go to the livestock section go to galway , its under show calf , its on 19 hours
    thanks for that prefer the part calf:D everyone has a show calf these days and the picture does not do him justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cathalmac

folks,

Relief milking, what do ye normally pay for milking morning and evening? A local lad recently approached me and is keen to get involved. His only experience with milking was in Ag college a couple of years ago.

He is keen to learn but would more or less be starting from scratch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

cathalmac wrote: »
    folks,

Relief milking, what do ye normally pay for milking morning and evening? A local lad recently approached me and is keen to get involved. His only experience with milking was in Ag college a couple of years ago.

He is keen to learn but would more or less be starting from scratch!

72 eruo a day with farm relief and and 100 for sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cathalmac

yeah I was paying 70 a day for an experienced lad earlier on in the year. Suppose we'll give this lad a go and see how he gets on.

i give 40 a milking but that includes about half an hours work after wards- feeding etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

i give 40 a milking but that includes about half an hours work after wards- feeding etc

are them €'s into his hand.

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    are them €'s into his hand.
    yes , during the summer its €30 for an evening milking as there is no work after the milking... will pay for a fill of diesel as i hate hate hate giving out cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

thats serious money lads-

thank god for family-give them a dinner at the weekend and their grand:)

stanflt wrote: »
    thats serious money lads-

thank god for family-give them a dinner at the weekend and their grand:)
    yes but you can tell paid people to fook off, a bit harder to do that with your family:D

just had the strangest morning ever:rolleyes: went for the cows in the wind and the driving rain, had a heifer in the first row that ripped her udder on barbed wire last week- thats another story:cool:- and is a total bitch to milk, couldn't get near her so put her in crush until i might have some help. Went out to get her a while later she was choking , was hanging by her head between the bar for opening the gate at the front of the crush and the top side bar of the crush iykwim. I had panic stations for a few minutes but got a spanner and loosened off the bar for opening the gate and she fell down ... is ok now thank god. Then went out to get a few freshly calved cows in calving paddock, there was a cow lying on a calf- he was dead, so pulled him in out of the field, milked fresh ones came out and the calf was sitting up:eek: now my dad saw that he was dead too...so lazarus is now getting tlc, not sure if he will make it. Then the cow who sat on the calf was calving and had a backwards friesian heifer calf, all alive and well

just had the strangest morning ever:rolleyes: went for the cows in the wind and the driving rain, had a heifer in the first row that ripped her udder on barbed wire last week- thats another story:cool:- and is a total bitch to milk, couldn't get near her so put her in crush until i might have some help. Went out to get her a while later she was choking , was hanging by her head between the bar for opening the gate at the front of the crush and the top side bar of the crush iykwim. I had panic stations for a few minutes but got a spanner and loosened off the bar for opening the gate and she fell down ... is ok now thank god. Then went out to get a few freshly calved cows in calving paddock, there was a cow lying on a calf- he was dead, so pulled him in out of the field, milked fresh ones came out and the calf was sitting up:eek: now my dad saw that he was dead too...so lazarus is now getting tlc, not sure if he will make it. Then the cow who sat on the calf was calving and had a backwards friesian heifer calf, all alive and well
    Looks like the grim reaper is talking the day off around you. So a good day despite the weather:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Some start to the week...
    Wind picking up steadily here... It always drives the stock mad..maybe not as mad as yours though;)

C2289970-orig.jpg

Here's some rushes we licked about 4 weeks ago, they had been cut in May.
    We made the weedlicker ourselves and weren't sure how it would go...
    Very happy with the results... Have a few more fields cut and read to be licked but they are very soft at this stage and will probably leave them until harder weather...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

bbam wrote: »
    C2289970-orig.jpg

Here's some rushes we licked about 4 weeks ago, they had been cut in May.
    We made the weedlicker ourselves and weren't sure how it would go...
    Very happy with the results... Have a few more fields cut and read to be licked but they are very soft at this stage and will probably leave them until harder weather...

Excellent results there. I had a few acres sprayed about eight weeks ago. using Agroxone, and to be honest, I didn't get nearly as good a kill as you have got.
    What chemical did you use as a matter of interest?

Excellent results there. I had a few acres sprayed about eight weeks ago. using Agroxone, and to be honest, I didn't get nearly as good a kill as you have got.
    What chemical did you use as a matter of interest?

We used Gallup at a 1:5 or 1:6 mix.
    Judging by the results we could probably dilute more. However I'd rather keep it strong and get such a good kill first time round.

I love killing rushes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We used Gallup at a 1:5 or 1:6 mix.
    Judging by the results we could probably dilute more. However I'd rather keep it strong and get such a good kill first time round.

I love killing rushes!

Just wondering- after you kill the rushes- what sort of drainage regime do you put in place? I was discussing this with a few others and everyone seemed to have different ideas.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Just wondering- after you kill the rushes- what sort of drainage regime do you put in place? I was discussing this with a few others and everyone seemed to have different ideas.

Had a lad in last year and got all major drains cleaned and then fenced them off..The fields will drain over time as lots of stone drains are now runnning again.. Some areas will need drains again but I'll wait for a few years before doing so.

The rushes are on both sodden ground and have spread to good ground.. While we're licking all areas we expect that the good dry areas of the fields will remain clear and regrowth of rushes in the wetter ground..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

smccarrick wrote: »

I think a lot of it will depend on the type of soil. Around here, a lot of the land has already been drained, but the soil is so shallow and so heavy that it continues to grow the rushes. A policy of licking them every second year is probably the cheapest solution. This year I have started to mole plough into the field boundary drains and into the stone drains that run across most of the fields. I doubt if it will see a reduction in the amount of rushes that grow, but i have no doubt that it allows for increased drainage - this is especially visible where the mole runs into an open drain. It is possible to see water flowing through the holes at all times (esp. in weather like this). Also, mole drainage opens up the soil a bit and allows air into it - this can only be good for soil improvement and drying.

reilig wrote: »
    I think a lot of it will depend on the type of soil. Around here, a lot of the land has already been drained, but the soil is so shallow and so heavy that it continues to grow the rushes. A policy of licking them every second year is probably the cheapest solution.

Yea..
    We expect to be licking rushes every year but hopefully less and less each year.. Main priority is to clear good ground where rushes have spread from the wetter areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm not draining at this stage, I'm bloody quarrying to clean out the old drains. Everythings getting opened though, down to the hard packed sand/stones. I reckon reilig is onto something with land types. Pretty sure mine will still grow rushes, just maybe not to the same extent. I know after knocking the snot out of them with Mortone last year, there's a fair few come up again from seed I guess. Haven't had the weather to tackle them yet :rolleyes:

Read the herd test on saturday and one doubtful. But milk collected now and cows back over a half gallon. Does anyone else find that or are my girls way over sensitive:confused:

They were back over a gallon on saturday evening but came up again on sunday but every year the herd test knocks a half gallon off them for the rest of the year:mad:

• Advertisement

cathalmac wrote: »
    yeah I was paying 70 a day for an experienced lad earlier on in the year. Suppose we'll give this lad a go and see how he gets on.
    out of interest how many hours , was milkings included and was that cash in hand ? think i am seriously over paying if that is the case

Read the herd test on saturday and one doubtful. But milk collected now and cows back over a half gallon. Does anyone else find that or are my girls way over sensitive:confused:

They were back over a gallon on saturday evening but came up again on sunday but every year the herd test knocks a half gallon off them for the rest of the year:mad:
    hate tb test always hassle, no matter how careful you are something always goes wrong like a cows throws a calf a while after or mastitis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm not draining at this stage, I'm bloody quarrying to clean out the old drains. Everythings getting opened though, down to the hard packed sand/stones. I reckon reilig is onto something with land types. Pretty sure mine will still grow rushes, just maybe not to the same extent. I know after knocking the snot out of them with Mortone last year, there's a fair few come up again from seed I guess. Haven't had the weather to tackle them yet :rolleyes:

I have a field around the sheds, which is as dry as you can imagine. Yet, I've noticed a few clumps of rushes coming here and there over the past number of years. I spray with the knapsack, but you can be assured I get a few more following season.
    Maybe I should get a soil test done, and act accordingly.:confused: Lime may be required, but as I'm in a high molybdenum area, adding lime may not be recommended.

hate tb test always hassle, no matter how careful you are something always goes wrong like a cows throws a calf a while after or mastitis

Yea. Few years ago we had cows in waiting for vet who was overdue. Cow tried to jump out of pen. Caught her back leg between top bars, she was a large limousine cow but she hung there while I ran off, had to put loader onto tractor ( of course it was off).
    Had to get strap under her front legs and lift her up to free the leg. When vet came she could hardly walk, was shocked it didn't break as she was hanging on it for about 30 minutes.

Our neighbour has red limousine suckled herd, crazy stock, they got away when testing and we had them for a few days. But then they never see him out of the jeep:confused:

Bone dry here now but strong blustery wind. And saw 4 or 5 out spreading fertiliser. Theres going to be lovely stripes on those fields this year. I know the 15th is coming but they will hardly come on the 16th checking? Will they:confused:. Bloody calender farming:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Bone dry here now but strong blustery wind. And saw 4 or 5 out spreading fertiliser. Theres going to be lovely stripes on those fields this year. I know the 15th is coming but they will hardly come on the 16th checking? Will they:confused:. Bloody calender farming:mad:

:D Crazy today, its hard to walk across the yard here with sudden gusts.

How many units will ye go out with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

the 14th is last day for spreading ,

we have dirty water and a few loads of slurry , it will have to go out on wednesday hail or shine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

snowman707 wrote: »
    the 14th is last day for spreading ,

we have dirty water and a few loads of slurry , it will have to go out on wednesday hail or shine

I thought it was 15th Sept. for chemcial fertiliser
    But 15th Oct. for organic fertiliser?

Now - I dont have slurry, so I wouldnt be very certain, just had it in me head that 15th Sept aplied for bag stuff only? :confused:

kerry men:D

• Advertisement

got a letter today from the sfp office about an over claim on a bit of land 0.2ha :rolleyes: just wondering will this slow my das payment and my sfp initial payment fook it anyway, got a letter about a month ago looking for my farmyard and sent that straight back

Now - I dont have slurry, so I wouldnt be very certain, just had it in me head that 15th Sept aplied for bag stuff only? :confused:
    thats what i thought too

got a letter today from the sfp office about an over claim on a bit of land 0.2ha :rolleyes: just wondering will this slow my das payment and my sfp initial payment fook it anyway, got a letter about a month ago looking for my farmyard and sent that straight back
    Louth women:D

thought it was 14 th Sep for Reps ,

must check with my planner to find out for sure , could be wrong of course wouldn't be the the first time

lovely morning here spreading to day in any case , it wont grow much in the storage tanks

BTW the 15th is the first day of closed season 14th is last day for spreading most ppl get this wrong

I know FYM is October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

snowman707 wrote: »
    thought it was 14 th Sep for Reps ,

must check with my planner to find out for sure , could be wrong of course wouldn't be the the first time

lovely morning here spreading to day in any case , it wont grow much in the storage tanks

BTW the 15th is the first day of closed season 14th is last day for spreading most ppl get this wrong

I know FYM is October

Re closing dates & REPS - see page 80 in link below
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/ruralenvironmentprotectionschemereps/ruralenvironmentprotectionschemereps/latestrepsschemereps4/REPS4FamersHandbook_LowRes.pdf

It states prohibited times start
    Chemical Fertiliser - 15th Sept
    Organic Fertilisers - 15stOct
    Farmyard Manure - 1st Nov

Altho now I read it again, it does clearly state 15th is the first prohibited day. I didnt cop that when I read it last time...

We got slurry out on some ground about two weeks ago, well blackened..
    I was going through grazing rota in my head (not that we're too fancy here) and wondered how long do you wait.. We usually wait until no sign of slurry at all, my neighbor spreads with the cattle on the field, reckons they'll eat the headlands until the grass is ready and they know best?

• Advertisement

quick question for a friend, do you need to be in reps- or similar- to get the sheep premium thingy? thanks

We got slurry out on some ground about two weeks ago, well blackened..
    I was going through grazing rota in my head (not that we're too fancy here) and wondered how long do you wait.. We usually wait until no sign of slurry at all, my neighbor spreads with the cattle on the field, reckons they'll eat the headlands until the grass is ready and they know best?
    i put out slurry in the spring and it was over 3 weeks before the cows would eat the grass:o i suppose if it got plenty of rain it should be well washed in by now... be careful with slurry ground and suckler cows at this time of year tetany can be a problem

. be careful with slurry ground and suckler cows at this time of year tetany can be a problem

not for us :D
    Not a cow round the place since last December... happy out

Was always told that salmonella was a risk... just not sure how long the risk is there for

well i wouldnt be spreading it with the animals on it anyways, its amazing how some people get away with some things

Re closing dates & REPS - see page 80 in link below
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/ruralenvironmentprotectionschemereps/ruralenvironmentprotectionschemereps/latestrepsschemereps4/REPS4FamersHandbook_LowRes.pdf

It states prohibited times start
    Chemical Fertiliser - 15th Sept
    Organic Fertilisers - 15stOct
    Farmyard Manure - 1st Nov

Altho now I read it again, it does clearly state 15th is the first prohibited day. I didnt cop that when I read it last time...

Thanks John,

Don't know how I got it into my head that reps was september, just shows how much I've studied the handbook:rolleyes::rolleyes:

all spread for now ,but if conditions allow we will empty again before the deadline, will give us a little lee way for the spring

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement