Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

blue5000 wrote: »
    Does this mean that there is a free burger, carton of chips, a cup a tae and free ai straws for anyone that goes into the belgian blue tent and shouts:

"HEY IS THERE ANYONE HERE BE THE NAME OF LEGWAX"??:o:o:o
    i only got something to eat myself on the way home,cow was really quiet but the calf was starting to blow,gave her a injection and have more for the morning hope shes going to be alright.

dead Heifer calf. sickened! She wanted to kill us anytime we went near her. In the end had to drive her to the crush in the tractor. Couldn't risk walking behind her. Not my favourate day farming. farming! Had the day off
    jesus sorry to hear that bogman,we all lose some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

dead Heifer calf. sickened! She wanted to kill us anytime we went near her. In the end had to drive her to the crush in the tractor. Couldn't risk walking behind her. Not my favourate day farming.

Sickener alright. It's a place we've all been. Dust yourself down and plough on. You know now that she is gonna be hard handled at calving so next time you can be fully prepared for her tantrums.

leg wax wrote: »
    i only got something to eat myself on the way home,cow was really quiet but the calf was starting to blow,gave her a injection and have more for the morning hope shes going to be alright.

Stressful situation for an animal, hope you get on top of it. you must put up a pic of the pair of them in all their glory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

dead Heifer calf. sickened! She wanted to kill us anytime we went near her. In the end had to drive her to the crush in the tractor. Couldn't risk walking behind her. Not my favourate day farming. farming! Had the day off

Hard luck with the heifer man. That's the joys of farming for you now sure, these things happen!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

****. Sorry for your loss. Had a foot gone down or what was up that she didnt calve herself or was she not trying to calve at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

bbam wrote: »
    damn annoying...
    Will you keep her if she's that hard handled at calving??

not sure but probably not. dont know should I chance putting a calf on her but not sure if she would take to one or should I just fatten her?

its always the good ones isnt it vander?

no leg down. bigish calf but no monster. big enough hips but she got nowhere near that stage. she just didnt seem to have a huge pelvic cavity dispite being very wide at the pins. she didnt put the effort in early on. 2 or 3 pushes and then would give up for 15 minutes. She never got exhausted enough to get near her.

Feck it when you have livestock you'll have dead stock.
    went to the ploughing for an hour in the end. Didnt want to spend the day looking at the b****.
    Saw the parthenaise stand and the blue stand and the macra stand and that was about it. Was it the cow with the BYU calf that you had there legwax?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192788

Here's a thread for the dairy farmers, Dont think I ever heard such a load of poo before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Here's a thread for the dairy farmers, Dont think I ever heard such a load of poo before!!

Suckler farmer me self often got banned from that forum for going against that meh what can you do

mjcom4d wrote: »
    Suckler farmer me self often got banned from that forum for going against that meh what can you do

Sucklers here too but they would have the same views of us. Not trying to start an argument but I dont think a lot of what was being said is fair. Animal welfare is very high in Ireland, I think they have a very narrow sighted (non factual) view of livestock farming in general. Im not saying they should drink milk or eat meat, everyone for their own thing afterall, but the least they could do is tell the facts as they are and not be talking such rubbish, Sure wouldnt most farmers look after their cattle better then they would themselves:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi Everybody,

I think it might be best if people from the farming community did not post any more on this thread. As a vegan, I find comments such as "a cow would cost you.." and "the AI man.." very offensive.

I love it :D

My grand Aunt is a long term Vegan as is her partner..
    They returned from england many years ago with a hoard of cats in tow... Then then had the cats teeth pulled by the vet to stop them eating mice/meat :rolleyes:

Crack pots the lot !

Edit:
    It used to be "the bull man" round here when I was a young fella.. wonder would that be more acceptable to them.. Of course the bull gored the poor devil to death, but I suppose that wouldn't matter too much

I love it :D

My grand Aunt is a long term Vegan as is her partner..
    They returned from england many years ago with a hoard of cats in tow... Then then had the cats teeth pulled by the vet to stop them eating mice/meat :rolleyes:

Crack pots the lot !

Im with you on that anyway. I thought the post with cows getting mastitis from being milked one of the funniest. They are away in another world altogether...

not sure but probably not. dont know should I chance putting a calf on her but not sure if she would take to one or should I just fatten her?

its always the good ones isnt it vander?

no leg down. bigish calf but no monster. big enough hips but she got nowhere near that stage. she just didnt seem to have a huge pelvic cavity dispite being very wide at the pins. she didnt put the effort in early on. 2 or 3 pushes and then would give up for 15 minutes. She never got exhausted enough to get near her.

Feck it when you have livestock you'll have dead stock.
    went to the ploughing for an hour in the end. Didnt want to spend the day looking at the b****.
    Saw the parthenaise stand and the blue stand and the macra stand and that was about it. Was it the cow with the BYU calf that you had there legwax?
    my cow had the only heifer calf,the calf is mousey brown with with white speckles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I was gone from the stand for a while before I remembered your pair.

Had a good day, didnt think it was as well laid out or something as last year, but couldnt put my finger on it.

got there too late (12:00) and had to leave again at half five so didnt quite see it all, could have really used another hour.

met a really knowledgable man on the sika stand who advised me on some products to use in a concrete tank that needs work, have to say for a company with such a wide range of products he knew them incredibly well, right down to the prices of each different sized pack.

traffic was a breeze both ways, same as last year, all credit to the gardai. must check out which side of new ross it's at next year before deciding to go.

To my way of thinking, a PB Part heifer would be worth another go.
    We have a couple of PB Ch cows that would kill you when sick to calve but, fore warned is fore armed, We put a calving pen in place that we can corner and restrain most cows, I know it's stressful at calving, but if you get the calf out, the cow usually behaves after a few days.
    For what it's worth too, I never seen a heifer wild at calving get any calmer with age and experience. So I suppose you've really to make up your own mind, and make sure with your set-up that your own safety is assured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

my cow had the only heifer calf,the calf is mousey brown with with white speckles.

was there yesterday, can't remember the cow but that calf caught my eye, she is a styler, good luck with her>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Been going to the Ploughing every year since 98 (bar 2001 of course), wasn't happy had to give it a miss this year due to work commitments, although I wasn't overly impressed by last years. Another Poster had commented that there seems to be a lack of demo's anymore. I remember a few great ones, big New Holland forage harvester in operation, big new Case with a huge plough on the back etc.
    I always enjoyed watching the Thrashing and vintage section though, massive improvements over the years I thought.

Made it home for a break last week, 7 tonne machine hired and a few loads of crushed rock, got a bit of a roadway made through a notorius wet patch and even cleaned out a good few drains. Happy out!

Went to look at a couple of tractors with the aul fella; two things -

1.Had rang a fella about this tractor previously but he had traded it in; gave us the name of the place he'd traded it and we tracked it down and had a look at it. Gave it a good look over and told the lad we'd met we'd get back to him shortly. Tried 4 different numbers, got a hold of the wife, left messages, texts etc. and nothing. This fella wouldnt be the biggest dealer going but must be doing alright to not even bother coming back to us after a week. :mad: I wouldn't mind but we were genuinely interested in this machine, contacted him beforehand, travelled a fair distance and spent a good bit of time with him i.e. not just tyre kickers burning up a few hours.

2. Its a Massey 3095 Datatronic 32 speed ( 4 + 4 on the dyna shifter A - D & H/L). Its a bit rough looking cosmetically and could do with a tidy up. Rust on the rear mud guards and a small bit on the doors, which is common from what I've read. I dont mind this as I can patch and paint it myself and know it wasnt a quick half assed job just to dress it up. The only thing that had the aul fella hesitant were the electronics. I have read that the electronic controls in the cab are easy to use but even the dealer mentioned that they could be tempermental if they go etc. Anyone have any experience with this model?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

For anyone who looks in over in the weather forum there is a chance of a slight improvment in the weather next week...
    The 10 day forecasts are already looking a bit better...
    But that's after 19mm of rain forecast for Sunday :mad:

Je5us we could really do with a dry week or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

For anyone who looks in over in the weather forum there is a chance of a slight improvment in the weather next week...
    The 10 day forecasts are already looking a bit better...
    But that's after 19mm of rain forecast for Sunday :mad:

Je5us we could really do with a dry week or two...

I wouldnt like to have barley still to be knocked ad facing 19mm of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

working from home today as herself is gone to the ploughing, sun shining outside, my 4 month old is a quiet as a mouse all day and the disadvantaged area is in the bank account, sometimes this isn't a bad old life you know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Was that the Blonde cow with the shapely calf? Nice tidy cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

intersting thread on the irish economy board about agriculture doing so well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

whelan1 wrote: »

You got a link? I'm using a mobile and it ain't easy finding things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Four hoggets took to wandering away from the rest out on the commonage :rolleyes: Been missing now for the best part of two weeks I reckon, despite best efforts. Got a tip off in Clifden Mart last night, hitched up the trailer and loaded the young dog "Fly". This was to be his first real bit of "hill work". Found three of them down by a lake with other sheep. We separated them, moved them up along the lake, through the fence. More sheep to be avoided then and the dog worked great, moved them along a river keeping mine to the river and the dog between them and the others. Had a bit of a problem where we were loading them, there's a good fence one side of the track and a piece of crap fence on the other side, fell down, holes, etc. Had Fly jump the bad fence, run out right of the sheep, come through the fence again to get ahead of the hoggets and direct them into the hurdle pen I'd put up. Very happy with him, didn't put a foot wrong until he lifted his leg in the car on the way home :eek: :pac: :rolleyes:

Always something to be worked on :D

hopefully good weather next week , was surprised at the amount of people i have been talking to that are feeding silage already, will be a long winter for some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

just finished the last of the reseeding. that was the last of the big jobs for this year just waiting till we dry the cows off now so we can have a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

C0N0R wrote: »

You got a link? I'm using a mobile and it ain't easy finding things!

Good discussion about the advantages for Irish based agriculture Vs other countries - main point being we're good at growing grass.
    Here's the link for mobile
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056398797?page=1#post_74557874

just slipped in the yard with a full knapsack on my back- all i hurt was my pride :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Im hearing cattle are back a bit lads/ladies? Glut of the weanlings coming out now and weather is so wet is it having an effect on prices?! Or were people expecting unrealistic weanling prices altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

just slipped in the yard with a full knapsack on my back- all i hurt was my pride :D

I fell a few months ago when spraying the spuds, it wasns easy trying to get back up from between the drills :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

another job for the concrete groovers whelan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bodacious wrote: »
    Im hearing cattle are back a bit lads/ladies? Glut of the weanlings coming out now and weather is so wet is it having an effect on prices?! Or were people expecting unrealistic weanling prices altogether

I was at a sale on saturday and another one yesterday (for a short while). No sign of prices easing around here. Export buyers were out in full force. Great buying for blues - especially in Elphin. Although the blues were mainly left to the dealers while the farmers got stuck into the Chaorlais and the Limousins and pushed some of them beyond the blues - crazy stuff, farmers seem to want to buy as many as they can afford, they don't seem to worry about how much they have to pay for them.

Lots of poorer animals out too - 10 month calves weighing 220kg etc. Prices low enough for these. Anything with quality is still selling exceptionally well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

reilig wrote: »
    I was at a sale on saturday and another one yesterday (for a short while). No sign of prices easing around here. Export buyers were out in full force. Great buying for blues - especially in Elphin. Although the blues were mainly left to the dealers while the farmers got stuck into the Chaorlais and the Limousins and pushed some of them beyond the blues - crazy stuff, farmers seem to want to buy as many as they can afford, they don't seem to worry about how much they have to pay for them.

Lots of poorer animals out too - 10 month calves weighing 220kg etc. Prices low enough for these. Anything with quality is still selling exceptionally well.

Some say blues are well back, but I think it's more a case of Char and Lim well up, compared to last year. The difference has narrowed considerably.
    I think there is the general feel good factor driving farmers to buy stock PLUS, a feeling that a pen of dearish cattle in the shed, is a safer bet than the money in the bank:eek:

weefarmer wrote: »
    I fell a few months ago when spraying the spuds, it wasns easy trying to get back up from between the drills :D
    i slipped in ****! was covered in it , trying to get up was an ordeal alright

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

why would she not cover up .......... her ears with a god pair of muffs ;)

thats a cu*t of a noisy fiat coming up the hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

[QUOTE=d

she can run after my bullocks any day![/QUOTE]

Hadn't my reading glasses on ,:eek: had to read your post twice :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Seen an article in the Indo aswell today about it. oh mamma!! :D

I wonder would she fall in sh1te under the weight of a full Knapsack.

I'd pay good money to see her getting up if she did:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

dryan wrote: »

saw the piece about this on the news yesterday about this and reckon yer man should go away and cut his barley and let her do her thing.we,d have much better view:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

keep going wrote: »
    saw the piece about this on the news yesterday about this and reckon yer man should go away and cut his barley and let her do her thing.we,d have much better view:D

Ulster says NO!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

i mowed silage just this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

keep going wrote: »

In fairness she had a go at being "sensitive to the local culture" with the red white & blue colour scheme.

Just not enough of sensitivity, though, for a man who sounded like he had a fairly sheltered life.

Having said that, no amount of experience could prepare you for the sight of Rihanna togging out in yer barley!

LC

Mr.Success wrote: »
    i mowed silage just this evening
    we mowed 10 acres of 3rd cut aswell yesterday, going to do bales on it... looks like today is going to be a fab day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Did anyone hear the Donegal Senator on the radio yesterday talking about the family that gets €90,000 per year in benefits. A guy from the INOU came on and actually tried to defend all of these payments saying that they were justified, but he also told the senator that his figures were wrong. He gave the proper figures which were actually more than the Senator had quoted. I spoke to a friend who works in the Department of Social welfare last night who says that it is possible to get this amount of money if you have the right number of children with the correct illnesses (No offence to anyone) and there are a few families across the country who receive this.

Its broken down as follows:
    - Father suffers from depression and gets disability allowance
    - One child has a disability and the family receives a HSe support payment because of this
    - Mother gets double carers allowance for caring for father and child.
    - They have a second Foster child and the HSE pays a weekly foster care allowance
    - They get rent allowance every week.
    - They get children's allowance

They get over €1700 in tax free payments from the government every week.

The guy from the INOU tried to argue that the €120 per week that they get for rent allowance cannot be counted as income because its is paid directly to the landlord (Bullsh1t).

Heard on the radio this morning that the same family also has a pa who comes into their house every day to make breakfast for the children, clean the house, do the washing, bring the kids to school and help with dinner making and homework in the evenings. This PA costs €20,000 per year is is paid for by the HSE. The child with the disability has a learning difficulty, but is strong enough to go to school in a main stream school.

This country is a sham. Myself and the Mrs work 70 hours a week. I work another 30 hours on the farm. We barely see €1000 every week. We have no medical card, we pay health insurance, we pay €280 per week in a mortgage.

Would we be better off financially if we didn't work?

Bizzum wrote: »
    I wonder would she fall in sh1te under the weight of a full Knapsack.

I'd pay good money to see her getting up if she did:D
    i am sure she would have a lot of helpers to help her get up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Did anyone hear the Donegal Senator on the radio yesterday talking about the family that gets €90,000 per year in benefits. A guy from the INOU came on and actually tried to defend all of these payments saying that they were justified, but he also told the senator that his figures were wrong. He gave the proper figures which were actually more than the Senator had quoted. I spoke to a friend who works in the Department of Social welfare last night who says that it is possible to get this amount of money if you have the right number of children with the correct illnesses (No offence to anyone) and there are a few families across the country who receive this.

- One child has a disability and the family receives a HSe support payment because of this
    - They have a second Foster child and the HSE pays a weekly foster care allowance

The guy from the INOU tried to argue that the €120 per week that they get for rent allowance cannot be counted as income because its is paid directly to the landlord (Bullsh1t).

Heard on the radio this morning that the same family also has a pa who comes into their house every day to make breakfast for the children, clean the house, do the washing, bring the kids to school and help with dinner making and homework in the evenings. This PA costs €20,000 per year is is paid for by the HSE. The child with the disability has a learning difficulty, but is strong enough to go to school in a main stream school.

This country is a sham. Myself and the Mrs work 70 hours a week. I work another 30 hours on the farm. We barely see €1000 every week. We have no medical card, we pay health insurance, we pay €280 per week in a mortgage.

Of course you would be better off - but you must remember 1 thing. You belong to the group called the payers - a group which is paying for everything, either directly or through tax, and getting little or nothing in return.

That crowd belong to a group called the grabbers - they take everything they can get their hands on for free regardless of how the payers have to suffer.

Now your problem is that to move from being a payer to being a grabber is next to impossible - especially in your case where you own land. You will forever be a payer and over the next few years you'll be expected to pay even more.

After all we have to keep "THE VUNERABLE IN OUR SOCIETY" in 1 of the highest standards of living in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Well,
    If the truth be known, it's the German taxpayer that is paying for it, in the form of a bailout.
    This country is seriously messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I heard that alright. The usual crazy stuff but how could it be otherwise in a country that doesnt hold anyone accountable for anything. (unless its an old woman that is fond of trees)

On the whole issue of dole fraud I remember years ago anyoneone sigining on had to attend the garda station once a week in order to get the dole. Thats not reallly applicable anymore but surely someone claiming dole should be available once a week to make sure they were still in Ireland at least.

Unless of course they are busy at work. :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement