Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

I reckon we'll here a lot more stories like that before the budget, to soften peoples attitudes to possible welfare cuts. There'll be some tough decisions for the government to make.

The previous governments attitude was to try and solve every problem by throwing money at it. They thought they had lots of it after all.

The problem was, the grabbers soon learned how to play the system, and while they could say the only got what they were entitled to, in reality they got far far too much. Lots of stories about people saying that recent welfare cuts meant they found it very difficult to afford their Sky TV package anymore...

And then on the other hand there are those with genuine needs on welfare who are just scraping by.

It's not going to be a simple problem to solve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

AFAIK the rules had changed during the boom meaning that a person on dole received their money direct into their accounts but that when the whole controversy of dole money going straight to people in Poland erupted Mary Hanifin changed the rules back to the old way meaning people had to physically sign on.

Cases like that one you've described reilig can be found all over the country and it is so demoralising to the rest of the population who work hard and pay their taxes. I know of a mechanic who was let go a couple of years ago, has had offers of work since but couldn't/wouldn't take them as he would be worse off financially if he did. At the end of the day a lot of it comes down to the sort of person you are. I know I couldn't sit around at home all day scratching myself, but thats just me :)

Upstream wrote: »

It's not going to be a simple problem to solve

You can sing that. Impossible to sort fairly I would say. If they bring in the cuts needed to stop welfare fraud there'll be thousands of genuine people who simply won't have enough to survive on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

reilig wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the Donegal Senator on the radio yesterday talking about the family that gets €90,000 per year in benefits.
    The child with the disability has a learning difficulty, but is strong enough to go to school in a main stream school.

This country is a sham.

Would we be better off financially if we didn't work?
    ok while i dont agree with the amount of the payments , my nephew is 4 has severe epilepsy- was extremely lucky to be able to start school with a special needs assistant- his mam - my sister- has ms diagnosed last year, will never work again... she gets disability , luckily her child got a medical card , she didnt get one:mad: her husband works full time . They get a home help for 2 hours a week. The child goes to occupational therapy- i think its called - twice a week. She never has money , they have a mortgage, they also have another child, appointments in temple street and beaumount are very regular, after reading reiligs post they would be better off if her husband wasnt working at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Ah, you can forget about any part of government cleaning up it's act and working efficiently of stamping out waste.
    The FAS mindset still prevails ............... corruption, corruption, corruption.
    Did ye see that FAS centre built in the centre of a bog in Offaly, for training construction equipment drivers :D Millions spent, practically nobody there, and the few thet need to go there for a course cant find it in the wilderness:P
    You know, it seems to me that there should be a MASSIVE inquiry done into the activities of FAS over the years ................. they seem to have given out some real gravy contracts to the "insiders" to do this that and the other, with no proper accountability. FFS:eek:

BeeDI wrote: »
    Ah, you can forget about any part of government cleaning up it's act and working efficiently of stamping out waste.
    The FAS mindset still prevails ............... corruption, corruption, corruption.
    Did ye see that FAS centre built in the centre of a bog in Offaly, for training construction equipment drivers :D Millions spent, practically nobody there, and the few thet need to go there for a course cant find it in the wilderness:P
    You know, it seems to me that there should be a MASSIVE inquiry done into the activities of FAS over the years ................. they seem to have given out some real gravy contracts to the "insiders" to do this that and the other, with no proper accountability. FFS:eek:

Reilig works for FAS doesn't he?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Suckler

Did anyone hear the Donegal Senator on the radio yesterday talking about the family that gets €90,000 per year in benefits. A guy from the INOU came on and actually tried to defend all of these payments saying that they were justified, but he also told the senator that his figures were wrong. He gave the proper figures which were actually more than the Senator had quoted. I spoke to a friend who works in the Department of Social welfare last night who says that it is possible to get this amount of money if you have the right number of children with the correct illnesses (No offence to anyone) and there are a few families across the country who receive this.

Its broken down as follows:
    - Father suffers from depression and gets disability allowance
    - One child has a disability and the family receives a HSe support payment because of this
    - Mother gets double carers allowance for caring for father and child.
    - They have a second Foster child and the HSE pays a weekly foster care allowance
    - They get rent allowance every week.
    - They get children's allowance

They get over €1700 in tax free payments from the government every week.

The guy from the INOU tried to argue that the €120 per week that they get for rent allowance cannot be counted as income because its is paid directly to the landlord (Bullsh1t).

Heard on the radio this morning that the same family also has a pa who comes into their house every day to make breakfast for the children, clean the house, do the washing, bring the kids to school and help with dinner making and homework in the evenings. This PA costs €20,000 per year is is paid for by the HSE. The child with the disability has a learning difficulty, but is strong enough to go to school in a main stream school.

This country is a sham. Myself and the Mrs work 70 hours a week. I work another 30 hours on the farm. We barely see €1000 every week. We have no medical card, we pay health insurance, we pay €280 per week in a mortgage.

Would we be better off financially if we didn't work?

This could/should be split in to a separte thread - not going to end up as farming chit chat! ( Entirely up to the OP of course)

I fully agree Reilig. I left the country to find work, would love to come home but now that I have left "the system" would receive nothing. Yet those who have sat around for years and decided "sure there's no jobs" still get their weekly pay out. I remember trying to get JSA before I left; the SW office ensured it was a most degrading process and in the end they stated I hadn't been looking for work hard enough. I was home for a week, saw how many people are happy to trundle along with life and get their payments. One was even happy to announce he'l never work again due to the payments he's getting.

Joan Burton announced that she was going to tackle the ethos that "some" see social welfare as a lifestyle choice and she was nearly cut in half for speaking out. I'm no fan of hers by a long shot but she's bang on there. Next time any of ye venture in to town check out which day is busiest in the chippers/coffee shops - Social welfare day. Those who say they are strapped for cash / will baulk at the mere notion of social welfare cuts still find money to pay for a couple of cups of coffee, scones etc. even when I was working I found this to take the guts of a tenner out of my pocket and I wouldn't pay it.

Sadly I agree with upstream and vincenzo's summaries.
    It's sickening.

have a lad doing 3 days a week for me at the minute- as my husband is away working- he has a child lives with the childs mother, she gets rent allowance lone parents allowance , has a medical card etc , he gets dole 2 days a week... i on the other hand couldnt afford to bring my kids to the doctor earlier on in the year , had to get a lend off someone , think the whole system is so wrong. There should be free medical care for kids . Also on another thread we where talking of the sw did a swoop on a new estate somewhere at 6am caught aload of lads in bed with their partners while they where claiming lone parents etc. Think there is alot of resentment growing towards these people now

whelan1 wrote: »
    - he has a child lives with the childs mother, she gets rent allowance lone parents allowance / on another thread we where talking of the sw did a swoop on a new estate somewhere at 6am caught aload of lads in bed with their partners while they where claiming lone parents etc. Think there is alot of resentment growing towards these people now

Growing resentment but people need to start reporting these infringements. They are stealing from you, you paid taxes etc. and are losing out on the benefit of that tax as its going to them.

• Advertisement

Suckler wrote: »
    Growing resentment but people need to start reporting these infringements. They are stealing from you, you paid taxes etc. and are losing out on the benefit of that tax as its going to them.
    yup, heard of one family who where caught out 15 years they had been claiming:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The system is indeed broke to allow such widespread and open fraud..
    We should however be careful not to demonise everybody who is in receipt of SW, not all on disability, carers allowance, illness benifet or jobseekers are defrauding or stealing.. Nor are all non nationals wheder in work or on jobseekers..

Back on topic..
    What are ye planning to get done in thje next few days?? looks like it will be a short spell so busy few days ahead..

well i am not spraying weeds, have bruises where no one should ever have bruises today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

ok while i dont agree with the amount of the payments , my nephew is 4 has severe epilepsy- was extremely lucky to be able to start school with a special needs assistant- his mam - my sister- has ms diagnosed last year, will never work again... she gets disability , luckily her child got a medical card , she didnt get one:mad: her husband works full time . They get a home help for 2 hours a week. The child goes to occupational therapy- i think its called - twice a week. She never has money , they have a mortgage, they also have another child, appointments in temple street and beaumount are very regular, after reading reiligs post they would be better off if her husband wasnt working at all

I have no issue with that. I work with people with disabilities. 99.99% of cases are genuine and deserving. The case above is questionable. The family figured out the system. The guy quit work during the boom years and was diagnosed with depression 2 years afterwards which was blamed on him having no occupation. He quit his job FFS! They don't work, they have no bills, they own nothing, yet they have everything that they need to live a comfortable life with no financial worries.

Your case above is totally different. That family are very deserving.

bbam wrote: »
    The system is indeed broke to allow such widespread and open fraud..
    We should however be careful not to demonise everybody who is in receipt of SW, not all on disability, carers allowance, illness benifet or jobseekers are defrauding or stealing.. Nor are all non nationals wheder in work or on jobseekers..

Back on topic..
    What are ye planning to get done in thje next few days?? looks like it will be a short spell so busy few days ahead..

Its not fraud. The system has legally allowed these people to claim all of these benefits. They have been means tested for some of the payments and have been found to have no means. Its the system that is wrong. the people getting the benefits are doing nothing wrong!

We should however be careful not to demonise everybody who is in receipt of SW, not all on disability, carers allowance, illness benifet or jobseekers are defrauding or stealing.. Nor are all non nationals wheder in work or on jobseekers.

You are quite correct; there are, in the majority of cases, genuine people who want work but the jobs simply aren't there. There are also some circumstances whereby if they re-enter employment they would be worse off financially. This is no incentive.

Edit: another major issue is the fact that many who started business and were at the core of job creation previously will not sick their neck out again as the receive nothing if that business goes under. This is one area that is causing stagnation.
    Back on topic..

Well I'm stuck back in the desert so can't help ye there!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

well i am not spraying weeds, have bruises where no one should ever have bruises today
    Well what do you expect when all the padding and fall cushioning is gone?:D You may have to put a couple of pounds back on to cater for unexpected incidents like that, whelan1

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Back on topic..

JUST AFTER HAVING MY HERD JUDGED FOR ANGUS HERDS COMPETITION IN MUNSTER ALL WENT OK TG

5live wrote: »
    Well what do you expect when all the padding and fall cushioning is gone?:D You may have to put a couple of pounds back on to cater for unexpected incidents like that, whelan1
    has taken me 15 months to loose what i have , say i could put it all back on in alot less..... whats the weather like down the country apparently its 24 degrees here at the minute

jerdee wrote: »

Back on topic..

JUST AFTER HAVING MY HERD JUDGED FOR ANGUS HERDS COMPETITION IN MUNSTER ALL WENT OK TG
    we never have anything like that would be interested in it, are you in the angus society or the angus association

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

jerdee wrote: »

Back on topic..

we never have anything like that would be interested in it, are you in the angus society or the angus association
    Yes munster aberdeen anGus seventeen herds broke into small 1-10 medium 11-20 and large 21+ if anything its nice to get an outsiders view as to stock and bulls used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Jeez that's tough Whelan1. I agree with a system to help your sister, and she deserves it.

The big problem is, how do you prevent it being abused? When parking charges came in in towns across the country, the number of blue stickers for disabled drivers tripled. As someone else on here calls it, "grabbing" is endemic in our country (and I don't think it's much better anywhere else!)

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez that's tough Whelan1. I agree with a system to help your sister, and she deserves it.

The big problem is, how do you prevent it being abused? When parking charges came in in towns across the country, the number of blue stickers for disabled drivers tripled. As someone else on here calls it, "grabbing" is endemic in our country (and I don't think it's much better anywhere else!)
    they had to wait months for a helmet for the child when they got it , it didnt fit , that just summed up this country to a tee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

had great ideas for this weekend, but planned them badly.

am supposed to me making repairs to a slurry tank for a friend. did some research and spoke to the guys on the sika stand at the ploughing, got reccomended some products, but didnt get straight on it.

now all I can get in time for the weekend is 6kg packs of the magic filler, but it's over a hundred euro for the pack, and it has to be used in one go so eh, that's not happening.

no-one seems to have the small packs in stock in cork.

http://www.sika-trocal.ie/de/ie_constr_Sikadur_31_CF_Normal.pdf

really annoyed about it, no-one to blame but myself.

we'll hopefully at least get the tank cleaned this weekend, just means I need to go down there again really soon to help out with the actual repairs.

anyway, this supposed heatwave doesnt seem to be taking off in cork, so I might be as well off.

bah humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

has taken me 15 months to loose what i have , say i could put it all back on in alot less..... whats the weather like down the country apparently its 24 degrees here at the minute

Its miserable here today - foggy and grey all day, cold as well... Horrible day... :mad:

ye , my husband in down your direction delivering gutters, he couldnt believe it was so warm here , had to send a pic of the blue sky... just getting silage baled now soon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Whelan yer lucky with the silage.

I hear derrypatrick herd slaughtered the first of their blonde sired cattle this week, calves from the lim x fr cows killed out 18kg heavier than the ch cows' calves. Don't know about grades though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone going to the derrypatrick update in grange tomorrow? Working so can't go :o I'd love to see the setup sometime.

Bought a hot pressure washer today. Spending over an hour cleaning the sh*t off the cattle trailer last saturday, with the thumb on the end of the hose and scrubbing furiously with the yard brush, made my mind up for me! Getting it delivered on Saturday, so everything and anything will get cleaned over the weekend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone going to the derrypatrick update in grange tomorrow? Working so can't go :o I'd love to see the setup sometime.

Bought a hot pressure washer today. Spending over an hour cleaning the sh*t off the cattle trailer last saturday, with the thumb on the end of the hose and scrubbing furiously with the yard brush, made my mind up for me! Getting it delivered on Saturday, so everything and anything will get cleaned over the weekend! :D
    what make did you go for and what did it cost.

bales wrapped and nearly all in, really warm here again today, but not as warm as yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

bales wrapped and nearly all in, really warm here again today, but not as warm as yesterday

In Cavan today - and not a great day here. Coldish, grey, overcast - not raining though, so I suppose thats something... :rolleyes:

Whelan1 - go way with yer good weather stories ;)
    (glad to hear you got yer bales done, bit o grass knocked up around here, as yesterday was a great day here apparently)

• Advertisement

In Cavan today - and not a great day here. Coldish, grey, overcast .
    Welcome to a typical summers day in Cavan :rolleyes:, don't worry I'm sure it will rain later..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

was in kk mart today,looking at prices for lim blks 1yr/18mnths. . . . looks like be buying in something else this winter,making in or around 500 or more along with weight,anywhere else around theryre a bit better maybe?;)

Opened up a few bales of 2010 silage this week that I had bought on the cheap - I bought them in July and put an extra 2 layers of wrap on them. Lovely silage coming out of them. The extra wrapping kept them perfect. Cows and calves that are weined and in the shed are loving them.

Going to be on the look out for more of these bales over the next few weeks. I couldn't buy meadow and save the bales at that price.

Pedigree Limousin heifer calved this morning. She's a daughter of PUP and she had a nice handy bull calf off Milbrook Dartangan. She only had 3 days with her which is very unusual for a limousin. Looking forward to seeing what he is going to be like in months to come! I have a heifer calf off Dartangan from June, she was small when born and small enough for July and August, but she really took off in September and has passed out the others now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Any Pics Reilig? (Of the cow/calf.....Not the bales of silage!)

Pedigree Limousin heifer calved this morning. She's a daughter of PUP and she had a nice handy bull calf off Milbrook Dartangan. She only had 3 days with her which is very unusual for a limousin. Looking forward to seeing what he is going to be like in months to come! I have a heifer calf off Dartangan from June, she was small when born and small enough for July and August, but she really took off in September and has passed out the others now.

Good stuff ;) You went away to work happy :D

Yes stick up a pic! :D I realise that bull is presumably out of the same herd as millbrook Tanco, but is he any relation? I wouldn't be too well up on the big names in limousin, but Tanco is supposed to be an easy calver

Bizzum wrote: »
    Any Pics Reilig? (Of the cow/calf.....Not the bales of silage!)

I'll try to get some this evening and stick them up. My pedigrees all calve between June and October. That way, the calf will be strong to sell in the sales or bull 2 springs afterwards. (ie. born june 2010, sold march 2012). So don't be expecting monsters of calves - yet!

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes stick up a pic! :D I realise that bull is presumably out of the same herd as millbrook Tanco, but is he any relation? I wouldn't be too well up on the big names in limousin, but Tanco is supposed to be an easy calver

Yea, they would be from the one herd and may be cousins - I'd have to check the herdbook. My bull last year was off Tanco. He was a good animal.

• Advertisement

bucketing down here now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

bucketing down here now!
    its like that all week down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Found four of my missing hoggets today. By God they did not want to be rounded up nor loaded. Got them with the help of the young dog. Still a couple to nab I think but that's the majority back under tabs.

Think instead of branding them next year I'll hang bullseye targets from their horns :D

Poured rain here all day from about ten. Well wipes out the few dry days.
    Spent afternoon with 13screaming girls in the house at DD's birthday party. Would probably rathered been out in the rain pulling ragweed or nettles but sher it's over now. Alcohol is a great stress reliever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Scanned cows today and it looks like the mop up bull did nothing.Now we were doing the heifers that he was first with after them so i nearly lost the life .Turns out he did the heifers fine but stopped bulling at home:confused:On the plus side my worrys about having too many cows are solved for next year but i probaly will have to carry over the younger ones.looks like all the cows are going to calve in 7 weeks ,finish april1

Poured rain here all day from about ten. Well wipes out the few dry days.
    Spent afternoon with 13screaming girls in the house at DD's birthday party. Would probably rathered been out in the rain pulling ragweed or nettles but sher it's over now. Alcohol is a great stress reliever. :D
    not feeling the best myself this morning, my brothers 30th was last night and my nieces birthday party is tomorrow;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

why do cows always start calving at the weekend, first one dropped this morning.
    may have a word with bull over xmas

thread on boards complaining about a crow banger, i cant copy and paste but if you go in to my user name i have posted on it, its in the sustainability and environment section

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

total ass hole on another thread on boards complaining about a crow banger, i cant copy and paste but if you go in to my user name i have posted on it, its in the sustainability and environment section
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74692504

Heres the link..What a tosser :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

looks lyk england have our heat wave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what a balls.

thought everthing was gone pear shaped, couldnt find the special filler anywhere in stock, then we got onto sika and they said they'd have it delivered the next morning for €25.

which was great.

then they forgot half it, which sucked.

came down and the tank hadnt been emptied during the week, said he'd come today so I hired a big powerwasher this morning, weather was looking good. man said he was coming this afternoon, but not going to agitate as it didnt need it. (there's a floating island, no way it wont need agitating, but I reckon he doesnt have a whisk which this tank needs)

started to rain around twelve and hasnt stopped.

I'm going back home tomorrow morning.

F*ck it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement