Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Does anybody know how I can get into the new smallholders forum from F&F.
    It's either very difficult or I'm very thick:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bizzum wrote: »
    Does anybody know how I can get into the new smallholders forum from F&F.
    It's either very difficult or I'm very thick:)

Nope- it looks like its almost fully setup, if you click on Farming and Forestry under the 'Soc' heading- you'll see a pull down arrow to the right of the main forum, which *will* feature the subforum (its not there right now, but the arrow is, so I'm guessing its not fully setup).

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks lads. I can into it from the link John posted and another posted link in F&F but I still can't get there directly.
    So I'm thinking Shane is correct insofar as it not being fully onstream yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Weaning them now. The roaring/echo with the slatted house full was headwrecking! :D

Does anyone know the right name for the ''quick-hitch'' red triangles some lads use on the front linkage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

13spanner wrote: »
    Weaning them now. The roaring/echo with the slatted house full was headwrecking! :D

Does anyone know the right name for the ''quick-hitch'' red triangles some lads use on the front linkage?

Take a couple of cows at a time out of the field where herd is grazing. Do that every three or four days. Put cows in shed out of earshot of calves.
    Most stress free way of weaning. Calves barely know what has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

13spanner wrote: »

Dont know about front linkage but back ones are A Frame quick attachments. Google that and see if thats what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Take a couple of cows at a time out of the field where herd is grazing. Do that every three or four days. Put cows in shed out of earshot of calves.
    Most stress free way of weaning. Calves barely know what has happened.
    Was in the mart today and the ammount of weanlins landing there straight from the cow without being weaned... Serious stress on all stock there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Thanks lads. I can into it from the link John posted and another posted link in F&F but I still can't get there directly.
    So I'm thinking Shane is correct insofar as it not being fully onstream yet?

Yeah I assume it will be a proper sub-forum like you see on other forums once it's properly set up.

I can't find it except by clicking that link either.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Dont know about front linkage but back ones are A Frame quick attachments. Google that and see if thats what you are looking for.
    That's bang on what I was looking for, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

had ta milk dis morn for my uncle after been at a party til 7 this morn. not a nice job to do wen u p*ssed out of your mind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

case 956 wrote: »
    had ta milk dis morn for my uncle after been at a party til 7 this morn. not a nice job to do wen u p*ssed out of your mind

Ya 4got the 3 'P' s then?:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

nothing like a run up and down the pit to sober you up.
    acrs come into their own on these mornings
    row up, snooze, row up, snooze:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sorry to be a killjoy, but that would drive me mental, getting some one to milk and paying tham when they are not in a state to do it... got some one to milk for me yesterday morning as i knew i wouldnt be in a state to do it myself, had a cow with gangrene in her back quarter yesterday evening, yesterday morning was the first morning in months that i didnt milk:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

whelan1 wrote: »
    sorry to be a killjoy, but that would drive me mental, getting some one to milk and paying tham when they are not in a state to do it... got some one to milk for me yesterday morning as i knew i wouldnt be in a state to do it myself, had a cow with gangrene in her back quarter yesterday evening, yesterday morning was the first morning in months that i didnt milk:mad:
    Dead right whelan its one thing being having a lash of porter the night before but being pissed out of your mind milking cows or any other job is a disaster .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Went to Ennis last Saturday to buy a few shorthorn heifers anything nice was between 1400 and 1600, couldn't get over it will be going to Kilfenora bank holiday monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

haybob wrote: »
    Went to Ennis last Saturday to buy a few shorthorn heifers anything nice was between 1400 and 1600, couldn't get over it will be going to Kilfenora bank holiday monday.

Was in Granard mart in Longford last week and purebredd shorthorn heifers with papers were not making 900e. Some lad had 10 in and i say 6 didnt make the 1k mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just swapped 2 bull calves next spring for 25 bales of 2010 haylage, good stuff, delivered. Happy out, will give me a chance to move the poorer bales (of nappies:eek:) to get at the good ones at the middle

was at the mart today, there was a few weanlings from a farmer the oldest was born last november , mostly simmentals-brown and white- averaging 550 kg and the best made €1300 . was great to watch them going through, top quality, they where obviously on alot of meal but i would say he was happy going home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

was at the mart today, there was a few weanlings from a farmer the oldest was born last november , mostly simmentals-brown and white- averaging 550 kg and the best made €1300 . was great to watch them going through, top quality, they where obviously on alot of meal but i would say he was happy going home

Were they bulls or heifers whelan1?

Muckit wrote: »
    Were they bulls or heifers whelan1?
    bulls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Hello lovely farming folks :)
    I have to do an assignment for college and all I need is two advantages and two disadvantages of organic farming. After much googling I am still none the wiser! Is there anyone here who could offer me any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I have to do an assignment for college and all I need is two advantages and two disadvantages of organic farming. After much googling I am still none the wiser! Is there anyone here who could offer me any advice?

sorry no help Sarah , but it may be an idea to start a separate thread with your query.

Hi Sarah,

Full marks for initiative, but low marks for research effort!

Advantages
    - low inputs overall - less feed, fertiliser, sprays, doses
    - premium price for organic food, means a premium price for farm outputs
    - marketing supports (plenty of favourable press coverage, labelling rules, etc
    - some (very modest) grant supports
    - because registered organic farmers must buy organic breeding stock you can sell these at a premium

Disadvantages
    - less productive/unit of production (whether that unit is an acre of land, head of cattle or ton of seed potatoes)
    - more expensive inputs (you have to avoid buying commercial or gentically modified feed feed, you can't buy commercial livestock if you are a registered organic farmer - you have to buy organic in both cases)
    - highly regulated, so even more paperwork, inspections and rul;es than the non-organic sector
    - you have to be very lateral in your thinking to preserve soil fertility without manures, control parasites without dosing etc - and in some cases you can't and you may need to get a derogation e.g. if you have liver fluke on your farm

You can expand these yourself. There are loads more, but its late and you said you only need two.

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I do really really appreciate it! Thank you!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I do really really appreciate it! Thank you!! :)

Don't forget that as with most things in life most of those advantages could be turned to disadvantages and most of the disadvantages could be turned to advantages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

haybob wrote: »

Probably wont be any cheaper in Kilfenora. Good few lads around there with nice shorthorn stock though;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Don't forget that as with most things in life most of those advantages could be turned to disadvantages and most of the disadvantages could be turned to advantages

So true ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Another bad day here.. Wet N windy, pigs hardly came out for feed :p

Ground very wet now, couning down the time to housing.. we have 3-4 weeks grass if the weather is good enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just finished with the vet. Best cow came up this morning with hind tit in bits, a T cut on the side of it but the milk tube ok, thank god. 6 stitches which she didnt like and the vet with a nice covering of sh**e so both very happy with me. Ground is so soft i cant figure how she got it stood on on the only piece of ground that was solid enough to hold the tit enough to cut it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

I have a few heifers to sell at the weekend, just checked the cards, they were herd tested last december, will this cover them for sale or do I need a blood test? They are around 15 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

weefarmer wrote: »
    I have a few heifers to sell at the weekend, just checked the cards, they were herd tested last december, will this cover them for sale or do I need a blood test? They are around 15 months.

if they are under 18 mths you dont need a blood test I think so you should be fine. I think thats the case anyway

Ok thanks vander, im tryin to double check with the vet but cannot get through to them this afternoon atall!!

does the blood test last 60 days now instead of 30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

It does indeed!!

It does indeed!!

About time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

....and you only have to Herd Test for Brucellosis once every two years.

Anyone got any tips for getting a weanling to eat meal. Have one weanling bull (7 months) that wont touch the meal. All the others would knock you down for it. He just stands there beside the trough watching the others eating. I even locked him into a small yard on his own with the trough, but no good.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for getting a weanling to eat meal. Have one weanling bull (7 months) that wont touch the meal. All the others would knock you down for it. He just stands there beside the trough watching the others eating. I even locked him into a small yard on his own with the trough, but no good.
    give him calf crunch when he is in the yard on his own

Thanks, I'll give it a go. That stuff is sweeter isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

try putting some sugar in it as well

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Spot on. This worked for us before.
    We had one or two over the years that refused to eat anything though!

Spot on. This worked for us before.
    We had one or two over the years that refused to eat anything though!

Add molasses, because it smells really great, and seems to really get their interest.

I buy Connacht Gold "calf muesli" to get them started - it is full of molasses, and a bit sticky to handle but awfully palatable

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Been to 3 marts now trying to buy a ram to run with the 20 ewes. There seems to be poor demand for rams at the moment, I know its late in the season, but I plan on lambing outside in spring. The sales that I went to have had 10 to 15 rams at each sale. Out of these, I picked 8 - 10 that were suitable with the rest being possibly culls. With few buyers at the sales, I'm often left bidding away on my own for the breeding rams and I haven't been able to convince any seller to sell a ram to me (inside or outside the ring). I'm not tight, I offered 2 guys a lot more than they were getting in the ring and they laughed in my face. The cull rams have loads of buyers, but the breeding ram owners seem happy to take them home.

Going to bite the bullet and head to the Charollais sale in Ballinasloe tonight. I have to source something this week. Anyone got an opinion as to how much a pedigree Charollais ram will set me back? As I'm not a pedigree breeder, I'll be buying in the lower end of the market - just something that will tip ewes. ;)

reilig wrote: »
    Been to 3 marts now trying to buy a ram to run with the 20 ewes. There seems to be poor demand for rams at the moment, I know its late in the season, but I plan on lambing outside in spring. The sales that I went to have had 10 to 15 rams at each sale. Out of these, I picked 8 - 10 that were suitable with the rest being possibly culls. With few buyers at the sales, I'm often left bidding away on my own for the breeding rams and I haven't been able to convince any seller to sell a ram to me (inside or outside the ring). I'm not tight, I offered 2 guys a lot more than they were getting in the ring and they laughed in my face. The cull rams have loads of buyers, but the breeding ram owners seem happy to take them home.

Going to bite the bullet and head to the Charollais sale in Ballinasloe tonight. I have to source something this week. Anyone got an opinion as to how much a pedigree Charollais ram will set me back? As I'm not a pedigree breeder, I'll be buying in the lower end of the market - just something that will tip ewes. ;)

Have you no neighbour with sheep, from whom you could borrow?

Don't have sheep anymore, but used to regularly lend my ram to few differnt fellas once the tipping on my place was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

reilig wrote: »

I bought a Pedigree Charollais Ram Lamb privately from a farm for €450. Personally I prefer buying rams privately from a farm because you get a good idea of how they were reared. Also in my opinion a strong ram lamb would be more than able for 20 ewes. So my advice would be to check out donedeal.ie or the classified sections of the IFJ.

I see the lad who won the Case tractor in the farming Indo, is selling it.
    Looking at the house in the background, he is not a farmer at all.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2597173

Full?id=8218137

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

One serious beast of a dairy farm for sale on the journal this week. Caherduggan Demesne in Cork - Must break open the piggy bank and see how we're looking.

I see the lad who won the Case tractor in the farming Indo, is selling it.
    Looking at the house in the background, he is not a farmer at all.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2597173

Full?id=8218137
    what would that go for, allowing for the cork registration and all:D

• Advertisement

jay gatsby wrote: »
    One serious beast of a dairy farm for sale on the journal this week. Caherduggan Demesne in Cork - Must break open the piggy bank and see how we're looking.
    are these dairy farms being sold by the banks or what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement