Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

whelan1 wrote: »
    see an ad on done deal for a fresh claved heifer for €12,000:D.. to me it is obviously a mis print unless there is some thing i am missing

yep misprints happen;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Seen a 330kg charlaois bull make €1010 in kilfenora last night. He was nice but not that nice. How does anyone intend on making a few euro giving that kind of money for a weanling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

have to do reps course tonight really looking forward to it:mad:,going to bring one of the lads nintendo's to play at the back of the class:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Seen a 330kg charlaois bull make €1010 in kilfenora last night. He was nice but not that nice. How does anyone intend on making a few euro giving that kind of money for a weanling..
    just back from ardee mart had 2 br/fr bull calves 2 weeks old got €255 each:D the lad standing beside me was going "255 for friesian bulls, never in my llife"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

just back from ardee mart had 2 br/fr bull calves 2 weeks old got €255 each:D the lad standing beside me was going "255 for friesian bulls, never in my llife"

Was there many other calves for sale and what price were they making Whelan1?

€255 :rolleyes: . I can imagine what a few angus or Whiteheaded heifer suck calves will cost me :o

was 50 odd calves nearly all friesians , now most of the friesians where making around the 140 mark.. a few blues and didnt wait to see the rest ... angus calves seems scarce , i sell all my angus calves to the one person off farm

Is the sort of mutual agreementtha benefits you, the other party and the calves.

When i build my calf shed i will have to get buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

hey all,

i'm working off farm but want to buy some weanlings;
    are there any evening sales in west area?

Granard Co Longford on Monday evening 7.00pm Lim & Char (2 rings - females and seperately ale)

Delvin Co Westmeath Friday at 6.30 Char & Lim ( One ring)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Maam cross monday evenings at six o clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

moy83 wrote: »
    Maam cross monday evenings at six o clock

Buy in Maam Cross, sell in Clifden ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

hey all,

i'm working off farm but want to buy some weanlings;
    are there any evening sales in west area?

Gort, Co Galway thursday evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 47 24_7

Well,
    Just wondering if any of you buy semen straws as potential investment for the future to sell at a profit. Reason for asking, Bought straws about 2 years ago for a bull and paid about €80 each, seen some of the same bull in the Journal at the weekend and phoned, looking about €300 each. I was only after buying the flask at the time and I still havent much in it, so just curious to see if others were using it partly as a savings or investment tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

24_7 wrote: »
    Well,
    Just wondering if any of you buy semen straws as potential investment for the future to sell at a profit. Reason for asking, Bought straws about 2 years ago for a bull and paid about €80 each, seen some of the same bull in the Journal at the weekend and phoned, looking about €300 each. I was only after buying the flask at the time and I still havent much in it, so just curious to see if others were using it partly as a savings or investment tool.

Genetics don't stop, top bulls today will be obsolete in a few years, more so now with advancements in genomics etc. Small scale with top show bulls maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

plus you've the cost of the liquid nitrogen and the risk of storing the straws and keeping them intact. A dud straw is no good to anyone. A risky risky 'investment' in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

lads forget about bulls pretty fast and move onto the next big thing. That and if you get caught you're in trouble. You can't sell straws without a licence and an approved semen store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Genetics don't stop, top bulls today will be obsolete in a few years, more so now with advancements in genomics etc. Small scale with top show bulls maybe

Shure, the blues are nearly obsolete as it is:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Scanned cows this morning 15% empty happy enough with that.

any word of an extension in the slurry spreading date, the lads around here are making fair muck:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

any word of an extension in the slurry spreading date, the lads around here are making fair muck:o

From facebook
    NEWSFLASH - Ministers Hogan and Coveney confirm that slurry spreading deadline is extended by two weeks to end of October (where conditions permit).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I see we have a new moderator. When did this happen? What did I miss?

Best of luck Reilig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Kilfenora mart in last weeks "mart watch" in the journal. We're famous! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bizzum wrote: »
    I see we have a new moderator. When did this happen? What did I miss?

Best of luck Reilig!

Yesterday I believe. 6 grueling interviews and 3 weeks of negotiations on my salary and here I am :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Best of good luck to Reilig and Rovi (who has been mod for a few weeks now) as the two new forum moderators.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

reilig wrote: »
    Yesterday I believe. 6 grueling interviews and 3 weeks of negotiations on my salary and here I am :D

Thats makes you a PT farmer like myself;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Seriously though, what is involved in becoming a Moderator?
    More importantly, what are the perks?

Or is it more like the GAA coaches at underage......nothing but abuse.:D

pakalasa wrote: »

Or is it more like the GAA coaches at underage......nothing but abuse.:D

You hit the nail on the head there I think.

I do get some extra subscriber priviledges. They asked me to do it, I spend a lot of time on here anyway and get a lot of information back from it. It won't be a lot of extra work just to tidy things up a bit while I'm here. ;)

I can see the headline in the local paper already:

JOBS BOOST FOR LEITRIM!

I have to say I liked Pakalasa's underage GAA coach analogy. All grand 'till ya start 'favouring your own young fella!' :D

Best of luck with it!

anyone hear of massey woman on here anymore?

leg wax wrote: »
    anyone hear of massey woman on here anymore?

I saw her post to a thread a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Probably the most overdone bulls I have ever seen

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2605777

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

anyone in kilmallock monday?. . . what sim/blk lim weanling bulls making?

Funny, I was looking at that today and thinking the same thing.

They're narrow allright - all feed and poor muscle. I'm not fond of a bull with a dip in the back like that!!

Who knew pigs were so smart...a bit of babe in this lad I think!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrkIVsYuX4E&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

neighbors bull came in for a visit to day, walked through 3 electric wires before he realised its not such a good idea, took half hour to fix they all back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

dar31 wrote: »
    neighbors bull came in for a visit to day, walked through 3 wires before he realised its not such a good idea, took half hour to fix they all back up.

Not a great bull if he realised that walking through wires wouldn't work:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

first diy ai calf born last night.
    draged my self out of bed at 3 this morning to make sure all was ok.
    heifer calf by sok out of one of the few pets on the farm

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Firstly congrats on the new role Reilig :)

Anyone heading to Elphin tonight for Eddie Lynch's sale??

• Advertisement

the sale for dovea was good iheard the best cow and calf made 3200 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

From :D to :( to :eek:. Finally got my milk test results back today after the first were lost in the lab.

BVD was negative so :D:D:D

IBR was 89 with a target of below 55 so it confirmed what i had thought all along so i was:(

Then the bombshell.... liverfluke at 265 :eek::eek: with a target of below 150. Nearly fell on my a**e on the floor. First year without fascinex to the cows during the winter and the level jumped from under 100. This after a double fluke dose, one at drying off and another at calving.

Really up s**t creek now as it will cost about 2k between the dose and milk withdrawl or do i wait till i dry off in 2 months. Must sit down and have a chat with the genius that decided to stop fluke treatment on dairy cows:mad:

i do all cows at drying off with either albex or endospec.. i hate hate hate that we cant use injectables

My own little invention. €2 rather than €x00!

Use a fence pole tied at one side. Catch the cows head in the head gate. Scoop up her head with the fence pole and tie in place. Dose her. Works really well and less hardship for the cow. I'd to do my sucklers for rumen fluke and that is only available in dose as well:(

if you meet a deer on the road what would you do? , no silly crap plaese had 3 kids in the car

just do it wrote: »
    My own little invention. €2 rather than €x00!

Use a fence pole tied at one side. Catch the cows head in the head gate. Scoop up her head with the fence pole and tie in place. Dose her. Works really well and less hardship for the cow. I'd to do my sucklers for rumen fluke and that is only available in dose as well:(

No matter what you pay, the law of the lever will apply!:)

• Advertisement

if you meet a deer on the road what would you do? , no silly crap plaese had 3 kids in the car

A live deer? Nothing, only show the kids the deer!

Hmm, all depends. Do you mean in the case where you've to make a split second decision to hit it or avoid it? There's a lot of variables. First and foremost on my thoughts would be the kids, then me, then the car, then the deer.

On the other hand, it can be a tricky situation.
    See this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE&ob=av3e

Make sure to watch it all.
    Don't say you weren't warned:)

Funny+deer+images2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

yes went down to elphin, it was packed to full capacity, springers and sucklers from 1800-3200, not one bad heifer in it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement