Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just do it wrote: »
    Hmm, all depends. Do you mean in the case where you've to make a split second decision to hit it or avoid it? There's a lot of variables. First and foremost on my thoughts would be the kids, then me, then the car, then the deer.
    driving in the dark the other night saw something moving at the side of the road, thought it was someone walking but when i got closer it was a massive deer , with big antlers:eek: it was halfway on my side of the road, It was dazzled by my headlights , i slowed down and it just stayed still ,one of the kids saw it , the rest wheren't quick enough.Was just thinking after it could have come out in front of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i guess if you hit it, call someone with a front loader and knife, bleed it out and off to someone to butcher it and freeze it up. Lots of trophy hunters would have took the head off you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

back from ross mart just sold big cow a lim 830 kilo 1390 euros.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

5live wrote: »
    From :D to :( to :eek:. Finally got my milk test results back today after the first were lost in the lab.

BVD was negative so :D:D:D

IBR was 89 with a target of below 55 so it confirmed what i had thought all along so i was:(

Then the bombshell.... liverfluke at 265 :eek::eek: with a target of below 150. Nearly fell on my a**e on the floor. First year without fascinex to the cows during the winter and the level jumped from under 100. This after a double fluke dose, one at drying off and another at calving.

Really up s**t creek now as it will cost about 2k between the dose and milk withdrawl or do i wait till i dry off in 2 months. Must sit down and have a chat with the genius that decided to stop fluke treatment on dairy cows:mad:

Ah hold on now 5live.

What do any of these numbers mean?

I am serious.

Maybe your cows have fluke since last winter, and maybe they don't.

If they do, then they will be laying eggs, and there will be fluke eggs in a dung sample. Why not sample a dozen of them or so

Now if you find them, you can say something about whether they have fluke, how many have it, how bad it is.

Otherwise, you just have a number and a bad feeling.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Not meaning to stray off the current chat, but do many of ye sell on the land? HF I bought off my Dad three months ago, just been offered 1100 for her...... I have feck all experience at selling on site as I always use marts (red roan on the photo thread) and she's not been fed much since.....my inkling says no, even though she is only 320ish kg currently. I've never sold on site before :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Karen112 wrote: »
    Not meaning to stray off the current chat, but do many of ye sell on the land? HF I bought off my Dad three months ago, just been offered 1100 for her...... I have feck all experience at selling on site as I always use marts (red roan on the photo thread) and she's not been fed much since.....my inkling says no, even though she is only 320ish kg currently. I've never sold on site before :confused:

We sell and buy a few from relations (Uncle, cousins, inlaws), at least you know where they are coming from. If you think its a good price and want to sell here, then go for it. The paperwork and movement permit is simple (it can be faxed in and you'll have the permit in the post next day). Can post up a link to it if you want!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Karen112 wrote: »

If your inkling says no give the buyer another chance by putting your price on her (thats if you intend to sell) and if you don't agree well no harm done.

reilig wrote: »
    We sell and buy a few from relations (Uncle, cousins, inlaws), at least you know where they are coming from. If you think its a good price and want to sell here, then go for it. The paperwork and movement permit is simple (it can be faxed in and you'll have the permit in the post next day). Can post up a link to it if you want!!

Not necessary any more as farm to farm/feedlots can all be done on AIM agfood.ie if your regisestered without any need for paper work.

funny man wrote: »
    Not necessary any more as farm to farm/feedlots can all be done on AIM agfood.ie if your regisestered without any need for paper work.

You not only have to be registered on agfood.ie, your herdbook has also to be online. Only 5% of herdbooks are currently online. The buyer also has to have his/her herdbook online (not just registered with agfood.ie) - if not, then you'll still have paperwork to do (ie. it would have been easier to get a movement permit in the first place). Well that's my experience of it anyway.

I have my herd reg online. I just always sold in marts. I had my eye on this heifer since day one & wanted to show her but had to work with the horses and didn't get time. I just want to know from others who sell in the field, if they think they may get more in the mart?

• Advertisement

We sell and buy a few from relations (Uncle, cousins, inlaws), at least you know where they are coming from.!
    its also said you should never buy off a relation, i found out the hard way

whelan1 wrote: »
    its also said you should never buy off a relation, i found out the hard way

Carefull now!

Carefull now!
    bit late for me anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

You not only have to be registered on agfood.ie, your herdbook has also to be online. Only 5% of herdbooks are currently online. The buyer also has to have his/her herdbook online (not just registered with agfood.ie) - if not, then you'll still have paperwork to do (ie. it would have been easier to get a movement permit in the first place). Well that's my experience of it anyway.

On that reilig. We are signed up to agfood.ie but I dont understand how to fill up the herd register on it. Can you or anyone else explain how its done:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

I would sell off the land regular. Mostly springing heifers. No mart commission and a better chance of repeat buisness. I would only sell if I was happy with the price if not hold on.
    No big deal with movement etc if the person you are selling to is reg online they can take them into there own hers else print off electonic form sign and post. The biggsest issue I see is talking a cheque on delivery can be a worry.

thetangler wrote: »
    I would sell off the land regular. Mostly springing heifers. No mart commission and a better chance of repeat buisness. I would only sell if I was happy with the price if not hold on.
    No big deal with movement etc if the person you are selling to is reg online they can take them into there own hers else print off electonic form sign and post. The biggsest issue I see is talking a cheque on delivery can be a worry.

I know the system D ;) but the prob is that me & my da like the heifer, the neighbours have also commented on her. So I don't want to undervalue her or overvalue her either, fair price to a fair buyer. I doubt I'll be able to fatstock her with my work times so I don't mind giving a great animal at a fair price that may make money in the long run. Can you PM me if any idea?:)

When you regester with agfood your herdbook is on line. i don't know where you get the figure of 5% but i'll check it, i believe it's alot higher (most guys regestered through teagasc/private advisor to enable to apply for the SFP on-line. I sold stock to 11 guys last year and all were accepted so no paper work.

When you regester with agfood your herdbook is on line. i don't know where you get the figure of 5% but i'll check it, i believe it's alot higher (most guys regestered through teagasc/private advisor to enable to apply for the SFP on-line. I sold stock to 11 guys last year and all were accepted so no paper work.

That's not exactly true. Your herdbook is online, but you must still maintain the blue book. A large proportion of farmers are registered with agfood, can register calves online and can apply for their sfp online, but they still have to maintain the blue herd register. If you want to dispense with using the herdbook, you must do the following:
    You must first logon to agfood.ie and complete an electronic application form. You must agree to the Terms and Conditions to use the Animal Identification and Movement (AIM) facilities on agfood.ie as your on-farm bovine electronic herd register. This can be done by selecting a new option that will be available under AIM in July 2010 called “Bovine Electronic Herd Register”. When using this for the first time you must record agreement to the Terms and Conditions for its use. It is a condition of registration that keepers must use AIM to register calves electronically and to notify movement of animals from farm to farm. Keepers will have responsibility for ensuring that all notifications are up to date and that the herd profile is accurate and complete. When you log on to AIM, the system will confirm that you are signed up for the Bovine Electronic Herd Register and from that date you can stop using the on-farm herd register (blue book).

www.agfood.ie

Earlier this year there was a figure published in the IFJ which stated that only just over 5000 farmers had taken the above steps in order to be able not to have to use the herdbook. There are also people who use secific farm software packages which exempts them from having to keep the herd register (blue book) too.

That's not exactly true. Your herdbook is online, but you must still maintain the blue book. A large proportion of farmers are registered with agfood, can register calves online and can apply for their sfp online, but they still have to maintain the blue herd register. If you want to dispense with using the herdbook, you must do the following:

www.agfood.ie

Earlier this year there was a figure published in the IFJ which stated that only just over 5000 farmers had taken the above steps in order to be able not to have to use the herdbook. There are also people who use secific farm software packages which exempts them from having to keep the herd register (blue book) too.

That's what I use^^ Although explaining it to the actual herdowner (daddy dearest) would take far longer then the explanation above. All he knows is....ring daughter.....daughter does it.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LostCovey wrote: »
    Ah hold on now 5live.

What do any of these numbers mean?

I am serious.

Maybe your cows have fluke since last winter, and maybe they don't.

If they do, then they will be laying eggs, and there will be fluke eggs in a dung sample. Why not sample a dozen of them or so

Now if you find them, you can say something about whether they have fluke, how many have it, how bad it is.

Otherwise, you just have a number and a bad feeling.

LostCovey
    Have lab results LC. Anything over the target figures would be deemed to have the problem in question and in need of treatment. As the lady in the vet office (hi M:)) said, or i understood but was in shock for a while after, if any figure is significantly over the target then urgent treatment is needed. Thus, i find myself looking for the best value fluke treatment for lactating cows and IBR vaccine to boot.

As to whether the problem was present last year, the answer is no. Lab results around 80 for the last 5 years. This i put down totally to single use of fascinex at drying off every winter which unfortunately was off the agenda last winter replaced with a fluke dose at drying off and calving. This points me in the direction of concluding the double dose antifluke treatment just doesnt work here or the drugs need changing.

I must go to the vet next week so i will try to find what the measurements mean. I should find out for myself anyway but this has lit a wee fire under my ass to find out more.

The vet inspected lambs livers last week too and they were perfect:o.

Whatever way it works out i will have numbers and a very very very bad feeling:mad:

Its frustrating to spend 20 years fighting the little buggers and then have the best weapon EVER against them taken away just as you were winning.

Just something to keep in mind folks. 2 wet years and the biggest promlem isnt just stomach fluke. As one presidential candidate would say ' they havent gone away you know'

just after going out to calving paddock to check cows , had a torch in my hand , was looking at 1 particular cow and she went for me, i never ran so fast in all my life .. splashed a load of muck on my lovely clean jeans and i cleared the gate :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

just after going out to calving paddock to check cows , had a torch in my hand , was looking at 1 particular cow and she went for me, i never ran so fast in all my life .. splashed a load of muck on my lovely clean jeans and i cleared the gate :o

Your lucky was calving a cow a few months ago when she went for me and dislocated my shoulder.

Was at the mart in kilfenora there this evening. Local lad has all purebred saler cows and runs a charolais with them. He had around 25 bulls there outta them, Every one one of them were like peas in a pod very growthy and good width. Ranging from 350 to 390 kilos and got from 900 to 1015 with more closer to 1000 then 900. They were march and april calves going by the board and off middling land. His cows are nothing to look at but they are for consistent quality without a doubt the best bunch of calves i have seen this year. All yellow, all the same size and make with massive scope to grow and carry flesh. I was never a big saler fan but after seeing that I think I could be easily converted. I would say the calves had a lot of meal got but they dont seem get bellyish, They have the frame to carry it. Super impressed I was and think i will be keeping my eye out for a few in the near future:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Was she just going to or just after calving?
    You'd want to be in the whole of your health around those cows!

Bizzum wrote: »
    just started, just as well i hadnt a few drinks on me:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Was at the mart in kilfenora there this evening. Local lad has all purebred saler cows and runs a charolais with them. .......... Super impressed I was and think i will be keeping my eye out for a few in the near future:o
    I have a neighbour with purebred Saler cows. He had a Charolais bull with them a few years back. I always thought they were super cattle, and like you say, they looked like they would grow away too. With Saler cows, other breeds dont cross any way as good as the Charolais. I would be a bit wary though, of their calving ability. I don't think that they are as good as made believe. I would be a bit careful putting a very big boned Charolais on them.

I was in Ennis today myself for a quick look. Belgian Blues very scarce. Those that were there, were selling only ok. It was back to the old days, with the growthy Charolais selling the best of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭epfff

Bizzum wrote: »
    just started, just as well i hadnt a few drinks on me:D
    Gave up looking at cows if I go go a beer on a sat night after a close one a few years back.cows are a young mans game
    no room for error when they are calfing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Was at the mart in kilfenora there this evening. Local lad has all purebred saler cows and runs a charolais with them. He had around 25 bulls there outta them, Every one one of them were like peas in a pod very growthy and good width. Ranging from 350 to 390 kilos and got from 900 to 1015 with more closer to 1000 then 900. They were march and april calves going by the board and off middling land. His cows are nothing to look at but they are for consistent quality without a doubt the best bunch of calves i have seen this year. All yellow, all the same size and make with massive scope to grow and carry flesh. I was never a big saler fan but after seeing that I think I could be easily converted. I would say the calves had a lot of meal got but they dont seem get bellyish, They have the frame to carry it. Super impressed I was and think i will be keeping my eye out for a few in the near future:o

+1 Red

Saler X CH is a super cross. Neighbour has 15 sucklers and CH Bull, saler cow is a complete bear at calving but outshines all others year on year at mart day, golden yellow, growthy great saleable calves, saler on its own though is bony and lacks muscle IMO

Went to Gort mart specialist saler sale in Winter 09, where a fella brought in 9 PBNR springers in Nov to a Culard, they caused some stir, every man wanted one, they made E1450 to E1600 for the last one (not the best either) im sorry still i didnt buy but at the time it was ridiculous money altogether, talk of the place they were but would be 2K plus today

Bodacious wrote: »
    +1 Red

Saler X CH is a super cross. Neighbour has 15 sucklers and CH Bull, saler cow is a complete bear at calving but outshines all others year on year at mart day, golden yellow, growthy great saleable calves, saler on its own though is bony and lacks muscle IMO

Went to Gort mart specialist saler sale in Winter 09, where a fella brought in 9 PBNR springers in Nov to a Culard, they caused some stir, every man wanted one, they made E1450 to E1600 for the last one (not the best either) im sorry still i didnt buy but at the time it was ridiculous money altogether, talk of the place they were but would be 2K plus today

I knew the man that was selling them, He had around 40 pb cows, Sold them all and the land and headed off to canada!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

anyone heard of prices for freshly calved dairy cows.
    have 20 to sell

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    I have a neighbour with purebred Saler cows. He had a Charolais bull with them a few years back. I always thought they were super cattle, and like you say, they looked like they would grow away too. With Saler cows, other breeds dont cross any way as good as the Charolais. I would be a bit wary though, of their calving ability. I don't think that they are as good as made believe. I would be a bit careful putting a very big boned Charolais on them.

I was in Ennis today myself for a quick look. Belgian Blues very scarce. Those that were there, were selling only ok. It was back to the old days, with the growthy Charolais selling the best of all.

Funny cause thats exactly what I would put on them. They have great width at the hip and pins and a long pelvis and they wouldnt be clogged up inside with muscle like your limmy or charolais which is the difference I think. The cows arent fancy but they seem to put it all into the calf. I was impressed the most by the scope of them though. Ideal cross for bull beef. Growth and power in all the calves and not as light on the shoulder as you would expect.

I knew the man that was selling them, He had around 40 pb cows, Sold them all and the land and headed off to canada!!

I went into the pen with them and could handle them as had heard the reputation of salers, splendid animals, the mart came alive with bids up to say 1500 ... looking back they werent dear !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭epfff

I went into the pen with them and could handle them as had heard the reputation of salers, splendid animals, the mart came alive with bids up to say 1500 ... looking back they werent dear !!
    Bought a pb heifer back nov 09 one night I went to roscommon to pass the night
    Guy from mayo had a few in it all sold at bad money last 1 I opened at 400 and hammer went down.no cheque book or anything with me(but I know people)let her off with stock bull.she very tall nice orange ch calf didnt think a lot of him
    untill I got 3.50 a kg last sat for him

They arent fancy cattle but if you have a good Charolais bull I think they would put serious growth into the calf. A lot of lads trying to breed for export are going all muscle and ending up with pigs. I dont think the saler cows would breed export quality but the seem to breed a very good farmers type calf which is there is great demand for.

epfff wrote: »
    Bought a pb heifer back nov 09 one night I went to roscommon to pass the night
    Guy from mayo had a few in it all sold at bad money last 1 I opened at 400 and hammer went down.no cheque book or anything with me(but I know people)let her off with stock bull.she very tall nice orange ch calf didnt think a lot of him
    untill I got 3.50 a kg last sat for him

didnt she work out the finest for you, cheap cow now!! :)

They arent fancy cattle but if you have a good Charolais bull I think they would put serious growth into the calf. A lot of lads trying to breed for export are going all muscle and ending up with pigs. I dont think the saler cows would breed export quality but the seem to breed a very good farmers type calf which is there is great demand for.

youŕe spot on a good yellow farmers calf and let them fight it out round the ring for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

i wonder how he is doing over, every time i pass that farm yard sitting idle now i still thinks its a shame..i know a lad that bought a few from his dispersal sale, wild was an understatement!

No, I agree with all you are saying. But has anyone on here actually calved a lot of them to a big Charolais bull? My neighbour mentioned to me that he had a lot of them caught at the hips when calving.
    They have a reputation for easy calving, but their figures on ICBF don't back that up either. In fact the limouisn comes out better for Maternal Calving. Reputation is one thing, but delivering the goods is another.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

dar31 wrote: »
    anyone heard of prices for freshly calved dairy cows.
    have 20 to sell
    Heard of over 1500 for 3/4 yo with low scc for export, out of farmers yard. Tall cows with milk potential

was scanning this morning scanned 30 heifers, 2 of them where not in calf , the 2 that where not where free martins , so i am happy out:) did some of the cows aswell was happy enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Whelan1, how many sets of twins do you have in a year? 28 from 28 numbers aint bad, the bonus numbers didnt cash in.

i wonder how he is doing over, every time i pass that farm yard sitting idle now i still thinks its a shame..i know a lad that bought a few from his dispersal sale, wild was an understatement!

Good id say. I think hes the kind of person that had to be flat out or he wasnt happy. Pity about the yard alright and he was after putting up a few new sheds a year or two before he went. Must have been a very spur of the moment decision!! I know a few people that bought a few of his aswell and they are wirey enough.

pakalasa wrote: »
    No, I agree with all you are saying. But has anyone on here actually calved a lot of them to a big Charolais bull? My neighbour mentioned to me that he had a lot of them caught at the hips when calving.
    They have a reputation for easy calving, but their figures on ICBF don't back that up either. In fact the limouisn comes out better for Maternal Calving. Reputation is one thing, but delivering the goods is another.........

I cant say to be honest. Would be nice to hear from a genuine lads first hand experience rather then the same old line from the pedigree breeders and society. They do look roomy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Good id say. I think hes the kind of person that had to be flat out or he wasnt happy. Pity about the yard alright and he was after putting up a few new sheds a year or two before he went. Must have been a very spur of the moment decision!! I know a few people that bought a few of his aswell and they are wirey enough.

ya its a fine yard alright, he was some worker, heard he went back into dairying abroad

There's a few West Clare lads living down near me in East Clare. Jasuz, I think ye're all hardy devils back that way. The few lads I know work in the building trade, started long before the Celtic Tiger too. Savage workers. You wouldn't want to get in their way when they're working.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ya love that ice road truckers. Only got SKY+ there lately. God I'm like a kid in a candy shop!

A 4X4 is born, A car is born are my favorite progs to record and watch at the mo. He's a vet (with too much money!... me... Jealous? Never! :rolleyes:) who builds kit cars and custom 4X4's in his garage! Even the camera and sound man help out with holding things! Low budget, but good to watch for those into their cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Any one know where ya could get a front loader for a MF 165 ? cheap :D

polod wrote: »
    Any one know where ya could get a front loader for a MF 165 ? cheap :D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2635521

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2632571

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

5live wrote: »
    Heard of over 1500 for 3/4 yo with low scc for export, out of farmers yard. Tall cows with milk potential

auld lad was at taafe sale in carnaross today-avg price over 2k for nice fancy stock-

not so fancy easily making 1600-1800

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement