Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Raceview Simmental Production Sale on tomorrow in Fermoy.

Maybe someday when I win the lotto.....:(

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2629584

http://www.irishsimmental.com/site/wp-content/uploads/raceview_prodsale_cat_2210111.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan1 wrote: »
    was scanning this morning scanned 30 heifers, 2 of them where not in calf , the 2 that where not where free martins , so i am happy out:) did some of the cows aswell was happy enough...

done the final scan last week, was a bit surprised with 10 % of the heifers empty, most of these were late april/may born though.
    cows went very well 5% empty for all spring calved cows, and 7% empty for every thing presented to the bull (inc carryovers).

stanflt, was there may selling for the 1600+ or was there a limited number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭stanflt

dar31 wrote: »
    done the final scan last week, was a bit surprised with 10 % of the heifers empty, most of these were late april/may born though.
    cows went very well 5% empty for all spring calved cows, and 7% empty for every thing presented to the bull (inc carryovers).

around 80 made over 1600
    only 5-6made below this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

1 of the first autumn calvers was back in calf , would have gone in calf 20 days after calving:eek: seems there are still customers for dairy stock , wonder are they going north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan1 wrote: »
    1 of the first autumn calvers was back in calf , would have gone in calf 20 days after calving:eek: seems there are still customers for dairy stock , wonder are they going north?

had one regular customer looking for cows. most interest is from the north or dealers buying to bring north. at least its keeping price up some what.
    will put them on the paper next week.
    think it is a 30 day tb test to cross the border though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

think it is a 30 day tb test to cross the border though.

Yup, plus two tags and no horns etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

anyone going to the bb sale in roscrea 2moro.

leg wax wrote: »
    anyone going to the bb sale in roscrea 2moro.

Are you going to buy your bull?
    I see they averaged €4780 at the Premier sale last March. How do you go about buying at a sale like that? Do you just buy a bull you like the look of or will you go with the intention of buying one bred by a certain bull, like Empire. I see they are a lot of Empire bulls in the catalogue.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Are you going to buy your bull?
    I see they averaged €4780 at the Premier sale last March. How do you go about buying at a sale like that? Do you just buy a bull you like the look of or will you go with the intention of buying one bred by a certain bull, like Empire. I see they are a lot of Empire bulls in the catalogue.
    going to try to buy but will really have to be impressed with one before parting with money,looking for a bull with size, height, and huge muscle,will have to see if one is there.are you going.

No, I hadn't planned to. I'd only be going for a look, if I did.
    Best of luck anyway. Be sure to report back here.

Keep an eye out for the Empire bulls anyway. Any of them I've ever seen, all seem to have great legs and good walkers too.

• Advertisement

No, I hadn't planned to. I'd only be going for a look, if I did.
    Best of luck anyway. Be sure to report back here.

Keep an eye out for the Empire bulls anyway. Any of them I've ever seen, all seem to have great legs and good walkers too.
    back empty picked out 2 bulls lot 15 i was highest bidder at 2800 he wanted 6000 for him and lot 28 that made 5200 .heros is throwing some big big bulls ,big frames but not heavy on muscle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

what sort of money were they making? average sale price? many unsold?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

What I can only comment on from seeing last year, we had a ten month old blue off a blue x cow. Managed to put two heifers in calf. The two hardiest little calves that learned to jump through the barrier in a day or two. Then turned out to get get best p/k in the mart. Taught me a good bit with the 30E a straw.....:eek:

blue5000 wrote: »
    what sort of money were they making? average sale price? many unsold?
    5000/6200/5400/4000/4500/5200/3500,thats all i have down sold in my catalogue but a few more were sold,i would say 12 bulls were sold.a lot of bulls made around 3500-3800 but were not sold,some no bids at all.taffee got caught with one bull the owner said put him on the market and was handing up the luck money and taffee told him he couldnt put him on the market as he was the highest bidder .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Karen112 wrote: »
    What I can only comment on from seeing last year, we had a ten month old blue off a blue x cow. Managed to put two heifers in calf. The two hardiest little calves that learned to jump through the barrier in a day or two. Then turned out to get get best p/k in the mart. Taught me a good bit with the 30E a straw.....:eek:

what age were the two heifers when the bb bull weanling caught them? Did they calve okay too?

back empty picked out 2 bulls lot 15 i was highest bidder at 2800 he wanted 6000 for him and lot 28 that made 5200 .heros is throwing some big big bulls ,big frames but not heavy on muscle.
    No joy so. What was the sale like overall?

No joy so. What was the sale like overall?
    no money about a poor sale over all , lads that refused 3500-3800 for bulls where are they going to get more.

Bodacious wrote: »
    what age were the two heifers when the bb bull weanling caught them? Did they calve okay too?

Calved down before they were supposed to, I was wondering why they weren't bulling and handled them, to guess at 4-5 months incalf:eek::eek:
    Great calves though, one was out the barrier and eating silage at 2 days, lovely to see the hardiness carry through. Think the better one sold at 280 kg or so @ 620 last harvest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Karen112 wrote: »
    Bodacious wrote: »

Calved down before they were supposed to, I was wondering why they weren't bulling and handled them, to guess at 4-5 months incalf:eek::eek:
    Great calves though, one was out the barrier and eating silage at 2 days, lovely to see the hardiness carry through. Think the better one sold at 280 kg or so @ 620 last harvest.

they worked out the finest for you anyway !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

no money about a poor sale over all , lads that refused 3500-3800 for bulls where are they going to get more.

Ya I can't understand that either. When your up over the €3000 mark it's not bad money for a bull.

Refuse to accept it and you've to bring him home and continue to pamper him. Will you get better money from a lad coming to buy him in your yard, if indeed you can get the callers to come?

If not, you feed for another 2mths til next sale, then wash n blow.... madness. Cheaper keeping on a woman:D :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Muckit wrote: »
    Cheaper keeping on a woman:D :D

Have you got any figures on how much it is to winter a woman?

Are some hardier than others and how many can you keep without trouble breaking out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Bizzum wrote: »
    Have you got any figures on how much it is to winter a woman?

Are some hardier than others and how many can you keep without trouble breaking out?
    Plenty of nuts and wavin should keep them inside the fences :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

even with one there can be trouble but women are like cows its cheaper to stick with the one your with:D

i prefer my laying hen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

5000/6200/5400/4000/4500/5200/3500,thats all i have down sold in my catalogue but a few more were sold,i would say 12 bulls were sold.a lot of bulls made around 3500-3800 but were not sold,some no bids at all.taffee got caught with one bull the owner said put him on the market and was handing up the luck money and taffee told him he couldnt put him on the market as he was the highest bidder .

You missed lot 35 selling at €4200. He came home in my box. Empire son, big on muscle and very functional. Has a head like a hereford, but I don't mind this as he is not for show.:D

You missed lot 35 selling at €4200. He came home in my box. Empire son, big on muscle and very functional. Has a head like a hereford, but I don't mind this as he is not for show.:D

Best of luck with your purchase. You might just sneak into the Hereford prime scheme:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

After all this damn rain today and tonight I think im goin to be gatherin my spuds in a new way! With a fishing net at the bottom of field! :(
    We have only just under half an acre set for outselves and relatives! Feel sorry for anyone thats depending on it for livelihood!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

not thing as annoying as that when your selling!! some times the auctioneer is left with them!

was that the guy who was slow to take out the 50 yoyos .were you standing out where the bulls walked out with your father.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Got every hoof accounted for today. Bit of a relief seeing as some had strayed earlier on :rolleyes: Ram out soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

Have a few bullocks ready to kill - got a quote of 3.64 base price on the grid from a factory this morning.
    Thats up from last week..

What ye reckon?
    i fear the factories will have a few busy weeks ahead with all the rain the last few days...
    Time to move them on methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

dryan wrote: »
    Have a few bullocks ready to kill - got a quote of 3.64 base price on the grid from a factory this morning.
    Thats up from last week..

What ye reckon?
    i fear the factories will have a few busy weeks ahead with all the rain the last few days...
    Time to move them on methinks.

If the factory thought they would have a few busy weeks ahead why would they raise the price over last weeks price?

Are there even that many cattle around the country to be killed? I reckon the majority to be killed are killed -certainly by the end of first week in November you would have to imagine the vast vast majority of the autumn kill will have taken place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

johngalway wrote: »
    Got every hoof accounted for today. Bit of a relief seeing as some had strayed earlier on :rolleyes: Ram out soon!
    So are you applying for a mod job again now:D. Were the last of them far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

Tipp Man wrote: »
    If the factory thought they would have a few busy weeks ahead why would they raise the price over last weeks price?

Well, my thinking is that anyone with cattle that are nearly ready to kill will be forced to move them on with the weather over the last 2 days. heavy cattle will do some serious damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i would also imagine with tax bills having to be paid a good few cattle will be movedi n the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Havnt killed anything for the last two weeks, its the first time this year we havnt killed a couple of days each week. have 3 weeks worth of cattle to be killed next week. (its sure to distort the market downwards:D:D) Cattle indoors seem to be thriving very well, cant say if this is down to their feed or a more rigorous approach to treatment of parasites this year

dryan wrote: »
    Well, my thinking is that anyone with cattle that are nearly ready to kill will be forced to move them on with the weather over the last 2 days. heavy cattle will do some serious damage.

Normally i would agree with you - but i'm not so sure that the volume of animals to be killed is there to be honest

Havnt killed anything for the last two weeks, its the first time this year we havnt killed a couple of days each week. have 3 weeks worth of cattle to be killed next week. (its sure to distort the market downwards:D:D) Cattle indoors seem to be thriving very well, cant say if this is down to their feed or a more rigorous approach to treatment of parasites this year

If you don't mind me asking how many animals are you killing per annum? What is your system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

5live wrote: »
    So are you applying for a mod job again now:D. Were the last of them far away?

:D Not likely, instead of doing that I went out and shot 27 or so rabbits for another farmer who's fenced fields are pretty much fenced burrows now :eek:

They last stragglers had headed in the bog, they got caught out on a point of land, off a point of land, that juts out into a lake. Either they couldn't figure their way off it or the heather there was too tasty, either reason works for me :D

Got to sort out the ould biddys for the mart at the weekend. Time for a clear out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Anyone going to the munster live breeding demo in the mart in ennis tomorrow night?? Link here from donedeal.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2655995

• Advertisement

Anyone going to the munster live breeding demo in the mart in ennis tomorrow night?? Link here from donedeal.

Thanks, didn't know it was on. I might head up.....have a look at these hand-picked weanlings and wonder what I'm doing wrong. :D

Thanks, didn't know it was on. I might head up.....have a look at these hand-picked weanlings and wonder what I'm doing wrong. :D

:D I hear ya!! Went the last 2 years so dont think i'll bother but its grand to pass a few hours all the same even if you have to take some of the info with a pinch of salt;)

I see Rose Goulding is talking at that Munster AI event.
    Probably one of the most impressive speakers I've heard. She really knows her stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

was that the guy who was slow to take out the 50 yoyos .were you standing out where the bulls walked out with your father.

No sitting at the very far end from there with a mate and his ten year old daughter. I bought him on a rerun at the end, he had went unsold a €3800 iirc earlier on. Our paths are crossing at marts regularly leg wax. we'll figure each other out some day.

Probably one of the most impressive speakers I've heard. She really knows her stuff!

Any link with Goulding Genetics?

Any link with Goulding Genetics?

Yep. One and the same.
    Speaking of Goulding genetics, where is their website gone?
    I know they are somehow linked to progressive nowadays but is GG gone now or what?

She does alright. No Dorren Corridan this year though. Shes great aul crack. Had everyone in the mart laughing the last time she was there. She reckoned if you bought a bull by paper that you would have to sell him by post:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

NCBC took over Goulding genetics and Rose took over from john shirley as the head of the beef program

NCBC took over Goulding genetics and Rose took over from john shirley as the head of the beef program

Ah now I see..... Hence the former Goulding Genetics bulls featuring in the 2010/2011 Progressive beef catalogue!

Lads, anyone go last night?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement