Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    Lads, anyone go last night?

no was hoping to but it didnt work out, were you in yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

No, planned on going but a bit of a head cold changed my mind. Cold place to be sitting when you're not feeling the best.

No, planned on going but a bit of a head cold changed my mind. Cold place to be sitting when you're not feeling the best.
    true, I often wondered if those large hanging heaters were ever turned on since the place was built

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭tanko

Good video, it reminded me of a time when i was watching one of my cows calving in a field with a river along one side. After doing a tour of the whole field she lay down along the bank, stuck her bum over the edge and landed the calf into three feet of water. It wasn't much fun trying to push the big lump up the bank with my wellies full of water. It could have been worse i suppose!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Fair dues to him - great effort

Calf looked fair happy tearing down the road on the bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

theres an automatic calf feeder on dd for €500, there was someone on here looking for one a while ago

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Fair dues to him - great effort

Calf looked fair happy tearing down the road on the bike
    Did you notice how dry the calf was by the time they pulled up?

I helped pull a 600Kg Lim Bullock up out of a trench for a neighbour a few weeks back. We had a similar, but bigger strap and a front loader. The bullock had walked up along the trench until he came to a bridge, so we couldnt pull him up by the head. One guy had to go down into the trench, lie on his back and get the strap down around his belly. Mad...They dont last too long either, before they get hypothermia, especially if they are thin and weather is cold.

Pity I didn't get it for Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

there s cliffs about 250ft high near us and a neighbours bullock fell down them and managed to stop about 150 ft down.he was allright but we had to go down and get him,he nearly killed us .i managed to get a rope on his neck and we pulled him up with a tractor,probaly the most dangerous thing i ever did

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

we have just unloaded the best citrus i have seen in a while ...there will be a happy livestock up the west ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

what is citrus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

djmc wrote: »
    what is citrus

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+citrus%3F

(sorry, couldn't help myself:D)

djmc wrote: »
    what is citrus
    citrus pulp i assume, its a nut made up of citrus fruits, some animals find it unpalatable on its own , we would normally mix it with barley and soya

• Advertisement

scanned a few weeks ago and scanning man said a couple of the cows are cystic, now they are in heat every 3 weeks ,will i estrumate them on day 11 or would ya put a coil in them, will not be servingthem for about a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Was spreading slurry today, Splashplate got blocked with a bit of dung and I closed the spring. Turns out when I closed the spring that the dung was in under it and it hadnt closed fully. Needless to say I took off the splashplate and a shower of slurry followed. The form is mighty now...anyone know how to get slurry out of your nose:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

slowly bet the wellies are bone dry.....

off home 12k of citrus all done without a drop of rain suprise suprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Meet the super cow everyone!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkj5gq1cQU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The young dog has a habit of not looking before he leaps when jumping fences. My fear has been he'll leap and land face first into a rock, he has had one narrow escape already. But, today I couldn't keep the :pac: in, he lept, looked sideways at me flying through the air and landed slap bang on the middle of the back of one of the lambs :pac: Don't know which of them was more surprised :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Meet the super cow everyone!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkj5gq1cQU

Interesting book on natural selection worth a look by some Shropshire chappy named Darwin.
    He called it "The Origin of Species"

Don't think it done that well for him!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Was ringin about some bf/lmx heifers today that I seen advertised in the paper but unfortunately they were sold thos mornin :(
    19 month old ready for bull! €825

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Whay would be the average yeild of the above cows ....would they give 1100/gallons/year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

a 915kilo cow made 1800 euro in ross mart today.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

polod wrote: »
    Whay would be the average yeild of the above cows ....would they give 1100/gallons/year ?

when we were milking our BF heifers were giving about that. cows about 1200

leg wax wrote: »
    Anyone know where these heavy suckler cows end up?
    Are they being killed in Irish factories? I know the French favour that kind of meat, but they're hardly exported live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Was spreading slurry today, Splashplate got blocked with a bit of dung and I closed the spring. Turns out when I closed the spring that the dung was in under it and it hadnt closed fully. Needless to say I took off the splashplate and a shower of slurry followed. The form is mighty now...anyone know how to get slurry out of your nose:rolleyes:

did you see the splashplate that ya could unblock from the tractor,unique inventions in kilkenny,they also made the bale splitter that takes off the plastic and netwrap together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

simx wrote: »
    did you see the splashplate that ya could unblock from the tractor,unique inventions in kilkenny,they also made the bale splitter that takes off the plastic and netwrap together

yeah i seen that in the IFJ looks very handy but jays how lazy are we getting :D ....is that the Tanco bale shear you are talking about ? the one that fits onto the front loader ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Anyone know where these heavy suckler cows end up?

In your local chippie:cool:

leg wax wrote: »

A 915kg dry heifer made 2270 in Mohill today :eek: Never seen the like before.

• Advertisement

Karen112 wrote: »
    A 915kg dry heifer made 2270 in Mohill today :eek: Never seen the like before.

Some Heifer.

Anyone notice the little spat between a Mr Lennon and a Mr Mullane in the Beef Cattle section on Donedeal?

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/beefcattle/for-sale/Ireland/

Those Limerick lads are the limit!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anyone notice the little spat between a Mr Lennon and a Mr Mullane in the Beef Cattle section on Donedeal?

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/beefcattle/for-sale/Ireland/

Those Limerick lads are the limit!

Hahahaha. Met one of those men before I think, down in Kilmallock. Hard to say which one is telling the truth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

had a fl21 heifer calf the other day very small and disappointing has anyone got any of him do they just start out small???

limo_100 wrote: »
    had a fl21 heifer calf the other day very small and disappointing has anyone got any of him do they just start out small???
    Easy calving means a small calf at birth. Wait till she's a weanling before passing judgment.

Just spent the last two hours before dark out on a foggy, drizzly and then rainy hill. Got a phone call that there was dogs chasing sheep, grabbed the rifle and off I went after making a couple of calls myself. Found a spot where a sheep had been put into a stream, lots of wool about but no ewe, either she got out herself - unlikely with dogs at the scene, or was removed by someone. Heard dogs barking twice in one spot but could see SFA.

As we all broke up for the night someone discovered the dogs had been out that morning :rolleyes: Why the fcuk people don't lift the phone sooner I'll never know :mad:

Off out at first light to walk the bogs, holes, lakes and streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭limo_100

Easy calving means a small calf at birth. Wait till she's a weanling before passing judgment.
    ya c hes not an easy calving bull i was expecting a decent sized calf. av u used him yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

johngalway wrote: »
    Just spent the last two hours before dark out on a foggy, drizzly and then rainy hill. Got a phone call that there was dogs chasing sheep, grabbed the rifle and off I went after making a couple of calls myself. Found a spot where a sheep had been put into a stream, lots of wool about but no ewe, either she got out herself - unlikely with dogs at the scene, or was removed by someone. Heard dogs barking twice in one spot but could see SFA.

As we all broke up for the night someone discovered the dogs had been out that morning :rolleyes: Why the fcuk people don't lift the phone sooner I'll never know :mad:

Tough going on a sunday evening John its awful hard to catch them dogs in the act the baxtards .

did anyone go to tom kellys monamore sale yesterday?

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Tough going on a sunday evening John its awful hard to catch them dogs in the act the baxtards .

Tell me about it :rolleyes: We've our suspicions who the dogs belong to, but when ya don't see them around ya can't say. Some never lock their dogs in, some that should know to do so.

Got myself into awful neighbour bother after I took the gun to his (wife's) dog that was chasing my cows. Had them terrorised for a few weeks until I caught him in the act. It's no joke to find cows on your front lawn that were a mile away the night before:o
    Eventually had to get the guards to explain the rights to him.....

ya c hes not an easy calving bull i was expecting a decent sized calf. av u used him yet??
    No,
    But I plan to, next year. I would like to hear how others got on with him too.

Karen112 wrote: »
    Got myself into awful neighbour bother after I took the gun to his (wife's) dog that was chasing my cows. Had them terrorised for a few weeks until I caught him in the act. It's no joke to find cows on your front lawn that were a mile away the night before:o
    Eventually had to get the guards to explain the rights to him.....

Yep, a visit from the boys in blue often calms the rantiest of ranty panties :pac: That or a letter! If it turns out these belong to who I think they belong to I'm none too worried about neighbourly relations as we're not on good terms anyway! They never lock in their dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Yep, a visit from the boys in blue often calms the rantiest of ranty panties :pac: That or a letter! If it turns out these belong to who I think they belong to I'm none too worried about neighbourly relations as we're not on good terms anyway! They never lock in their dogs.
    I can't see why farmers don't report irresponsible dog owners to the county council, the damage dogs do on sheep farms every year is serious, any time that I have done it, it has been sorted pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Cattle are work, sheep are a vocation!!

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    Cattle are work, sheep are a vocation!!

Best way to meet the neighbours they say :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

we have used him hoping for heifers. have got either 4 or 5 bulls so far no heifers but have to say he puts serious cattle. they get great weights at d weanling stage give the calf time he could surprise u

Anyone going to Elphin on the 14th Nov for the Mc Gee Reduction sale.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2672439

Serious looking stock in the pics!

I may be.
    This animal made me laugh! http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=8532008&ad=2672439

A free, teeny weeny cow!

serious looking cattle indeed, cows seems to have serious muscle, would you be worried about calving some of those cows?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement